TOPS Markets Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2014
Updated Aug 15, 2014

1.6

Bakery Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TOPS Markets.

I don't remember the exact duration of the process but it took a few weeks after completing the application to receive a phone call. Once I received a call, the process went very quickly. Interviewer was very genuine and nice. She was as helpful as possible. She didn't talk to much about the position or ask many questions about my experience. Mostly just wanted to know when I would be available and made small talk.

A few days after the interview, I was asked to come in for orientation with several other employees. That day seemed a bit out of control since some of the other employees were quite colorful to say the least. The entire interview and hiring process was very easy for this entry level position. The hiring staff was very friendly and seemed genuinely happy to help.

Pharmacy Manager Interview

Needed person really bad opening rural location. Not sure if any other candidates interviewed. Put pharmacy in existing store at far back corner hardly anyone knew I was there. Business never really took off even when new store was built and pharmacy was moved up front. Every year asked for marketing suggestions for pharmacy when chain has a marketing department.

Cashier Interview

Very short and easy
    If you are called in for an interview you have the job just be personable and Be consistent with your application and what they are looking for

Interview Questions
    Minimum wage unless you have experience you MIGHT get a little more

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williamsville, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TOPS Markets in June 2014.

I applied online and a couple of weeks later got a called to come in for an interview. I had the interview with a woman in HR (Patty) and she was very nice. The "interview" was basically her talking about TOPS and their union and she asked me about my availability, school, and she had me signed a paper for a background check. I told her about me going to school for baking and she asked me if I had any experience in decorating. I didn't but I did in scratch baking, which she was impressed with. I told her about me having 2 jobs and she said that was fine and that they were really flexible. (2nd job is at American Eagle which I did a review on) At the end she told me that she would talk to the bakery manager and that I will get a call if I got a second interview. A week later, I received that call and went in and spoke to the bakery manager. Again the "interview" was mainly her talking about the job that I would be doing. When that was over, Patty said that I would be getting call about when to come in for orientation which I did and is 6/29/14.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation...don't even know how to ;p

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williamsville, NY

I applied online for the cashier position and received a call to come in for an interview a week later. The lady was nice and the "interview" was mainly her talking about the company and about the union and the benefits of the union. She then had me sign a couple of papers for background check while asking me questions like "am I going to school and for what" and "what is my availability" I told her I was going to school for baking and she asked me if I was interested in working in the bakery instead. I said yes cause who wants to be a cashier? I told her about me having a second job and she said pretty much everyone there has one and to just let her know about their scheduling (I did a review of Macy's also). I called back a couple of days later to tell her and she said she will call me back for a second interview with the bakery manager. A week later I met with her and pretty much the same process of her just talking about the job and responsibilities. She asked if that was ok and I started that same week.

Interview Questions
    • No questions other than am I going to school and for what.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Assistant Dairy Frozen Manager Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at TOPS Markets.

quick and to the pint

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at TOPS Markets.

They will ask you what are your strengths.They will ask if your in school so they can work around your schedule. Basically they will hire anyone since they need people all the time.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't really have to answer any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    If you have experience you can try to get more money, but they will most likely low ball you.

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at TOPS Markets in August 2013.

Applied online, got a call a few days later to come in for an interview. Came in later in the week for said interview and experience a standard interview procedure. Everything was very clearly laid out and easy to understand. Come prepared with experience in retail because it will help you out immensely.

Seafood Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orchard Park, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orchard Park, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at TOPS Markets.

You submit a application online and get a call back within a week to schedule an interview. When you come in you get asked basic questions about availability, previous experience etc. There are no real difficult questions and you are almost guaranteed a job. They then ask what department you want to work in. After that you schedule and orientation date. For the orientation you come in to view a video, sign some papers and get your schedule for the first week. You also get a tour of the store and are told about lunches and breaks and punching in.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, I was just really asked what position I wanted   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation everything is based on the pay scale in the union hand book.

Cart Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at TOPS Markets.

Very quick and easy. I applied online and got a phone call within the next day. They set up a meeting and went in two days later for an in person interview. Took roughly about 10 minutes and I was offered a job.

Interview Questions
    • What is the main reason you want to work here over other companies?   View Answer
    Not able to negotiate salary, they didnt even really mention it until orientation and they just assumed that I was going to accept it regardless so there was no open front of negotiation.