TSMC Interview Questions

Updated Aug 12, 2015

2.5

R&D Module Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TSMC in October 2014.

Interview

I was a PhD student when I found TSMC's North America recruitment on Linkedin. So I sent my resume but didn't specify any particular position for which I want to apply. Few days later I received email of interview invitation. Several managers (5-6) joined the interview on Skype. The first question, also the most frequently asked question in all the following interviews is to introduce my research. Guess they want to know my background. I spent about 15 minutes explaining my semiconductor device research, got interrupted few times for questions about the details of the tools I used, the materials, etc. Then spent another 10 minutes or so to describe my work history. They didn't ask any general questions regarding my life, personailty, or what I wanted to do, etc. In the end of first interview they didn't offer any position or anything particular. Just like ending a chat in the conference. However few days later, I got a series of phone interviews from the R&D department. Pretty much the same questions as the first interview, but in the end I was confirmed to be considered for a module engineer position. Got an offer in the last interview. Then talked to the HR for more general question like education history. Nothing unexpected nor difficult. The whole process took about an month. Havn't gone through the negotiation part, but I guess it's not too flexible for a newbie like me.

Interview Questions

• Are you considering other companies? Not sure if I should be honest or not. I chose to be honest.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at TSMC.

Interview

The interview was for the campus representative position, so it was not hard. The HR basically went though most of the things I wrote on my resume, and most questions I was asked were related to my resume, so if don't make something up, you will be fine. And they asked me some behavioral questions too, very typical ones like how you resolve a confrontation.

Interview Questions

• None. Every questions I was asked were related to my resume.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

You will get phone call to arrange the interview with you, and they will ask some general questions but not technical questions. The process went pretty happy and relax.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TSMC in May 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with a senior engineer and manager. They asked me about my academic research and skills. They revealed they are developing in-house tools which might fit my background and strength. After the first interview, I got another phone interview with HR. Later on, I got the offer through email.

Interview Questions

• I wanted to understand the projects they are running. However, maybe due to NDA, they did not let me know what they wanted me to do. I eventually understand the assignment after on board.   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TSMC in January 2013.

Interview

4 phases. 1. Phone interview: casual interview over the details in the resume and other details like achievements 2. HR interview: Commitment to come to taiwan and work for years together 3. Technical interview: Job profile related questions 4. Final interview: Direct interview with the person directly overhead

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TSMC in April 2010.

Interview

They will match the job vacancy by your online resume, but normally HR does't understand what you research or there is no match inside the company. In this case, they basically match you by the title of your department. (E.g. Chemistry should get someone related to chemical vapor deposition). It's just an intern, so they usually wouldn't take you seriously. They just want to find someone potential for the future.

Interview Questions

• Because manager normally won't have time to review your resume, you need to make your own introduction. They will pick one part of your description to ask. So be prepared about everything you mentioned in your introduction.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Taichung (Taiwan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at TSMC (Taichung (Taiwan)) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with HR first. Then interview with section manager face to face. During the process, the we needed to take a test to qualify is our personality and tsmc cooperation culture are match. Basically, the questions they ask are easy. Because this intern, in my own opinion, is mainly for tsmc doing their brand advocate.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to come for internship? What is your value for company?   1 Answer

Quality Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at TSMC.

Interview

I only have phone interview with previous online English testing. I interviewed with quality department director and he talked most of time during the interview. Not too many specific questions during the interview

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TSMC.

Interview

Only one interview, directly with the department managers. Before the interview, HR will come and ask other questions. Need to test the English but I didn't because I gave them my TOEIC report which is above 900.

Interview Questions

Interview

I applied this job when I was at the senior year of my master study. The job title I applied for is process integrated engineer in Hsinchu, Taiwan. They don't really need you to wear formal on the day of interview but most of the people did. After the reception I wanted for a long time for the interview because there was so many people. While waiting for the interview , I've done the English exam and also scholastic aptitude test. The one who interview me was a department manager. The interview started with a self-introduction and then the interviewer will go through your files and ask some questions. After that, he basically introduce how do they work in TSMC. At the end is the time fore to ask questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You don't get to negotiate for this kind of interview for I was only a student and haven't done my responsibility of military service. Besides, TSMC is a world class corporation which can provides almost the best offer for graduate students.