TTX Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2014
Updated Apr 10, 2014

2.5

Assistant Manager - Market Analysis Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at TTX.

This is just my experience. Maybe other departments are different or I was just unlucky.

Applied in January and received a callback a week later to conduct a phone interview. Passed that and had an in-person interview in mid-February. Before then, I had to take one of those personality/analytical tests and produce a writing sample on a rail marketing topic.

At the interview, the first thing I was told by the recruiter that is was company policy to promote internal candidates and that I was a long shot as an external candidate.

The interview consisted of 2 panel interviews and a debriefing session with the hiring manager and recruiter. The people I was interviewing with ranged from showing total disinterest to complete unprofessionalism, although the hiring manager was okay. One manager interviewing me actually said, in front of another manager, “I don’t really like working here” and used multiple swear words throughout the interview. I also heard a lot of gossip between employees talking down about each other while I was waiting in-between interviews.

Most weird was TTX’s company culture. They admitted to me they were anti-growth and all my discussions about my railroad business development/relationship building experiences and passion actually seemed to hurt me. TTX seems very process oriented. I got the impression that innovation and asking “why?” are frowned upon. After all the interviews though, the hiring manager offered to take me out to lunch which I thought was a good sign. He specifically said I’d hear back in 2 weeks, that I wouldn’t “be waiting months.”

Except, that’s what happened. I checked in every two weeks, via e-mail and phone, to both the recruiter and hiring manager and never received a response. The hiring manager never acted on his lunch offer. I finally was able to get in touch with the hiring manager in April who told me that they had promoted internally a few weeks ago and the recruiter was supposed to have called to tell me.

While I was excited for the job at first, at that point I was relieved I didn’t get an offer. TTX was not a good fit for me. The job didn’t seem to offer the challenges I seek and unprofessionalism was rampant in all the people I met.

Interview Questions
    • We're not perfect. What are some weaknesses you have?   View Answer

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at TTX in March 2010.

Initial contact was at a university job fair; I handed them my resume and spent about 5 minutes asking them what the position did. I was called in for an interview a few weeks later and talked for about an hour. It wasn't so much a question and answer interview, but more of a conversation. I found out the decision through a phone call a few weeks after that and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where something went wrong in the workplace.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. It was either accept or not.

Worked for TTX? Contribute to the Community!