TTX Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.8

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TTX.

Interview

Communication started through my school career center. I then got an email to proceed with an over the phone interview. This led to an in person interview with two of the current engineers at the company.

Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TTX (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

We were contacted by our professor about this job posting and many of us sent our resumes to the HR contact given to us. After two weeks, the company shortlisted me and I was called by the hiring manager and not the HR directly. He was very cordial and was an alum from the same university. The interview/meeting was in his office and the whole setting was very informal. I liked his efforts to explain the project in detail. I was then introduced to the group's director. She was very friendly too and the interview went very well. The hiring manager told me that they would get back to me with an offer the next day itself. The whole thing appeared to be conducted with a lot of urgency.

Interview Questions

• None. Behavioral questions and skill-based interviewing.   Answer Question

The compensation for the position was really low. I had another offer from a company that was providing me with housing too.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TTX.

Interview

This is just my experience. Maybe other departments are different or I was just unlucky.

Applied in January and received a callback a week later to conduct a phone interview. Passed that and had an in-person interview in mid-February. Before then, I had to take one of those personality/analytical tests and produce a writing sample on a rail marketing topic.

At the interview, the first thing I was told by the recruiter that is was company policy to promote internal candidates and that I was a long shot as an external candidate.

The interview consisted of 2 panel interviews and a debriefing session with the hiring manager and recruiter. The people I was interviewing with ranged from showing total disinterest to complete unprofessionalism, although the hiring manager was okay. One manager interviewing me actually said, in front of another manager, “I don’t really like working here” and used multiple swear words throughout the interview. I also heard a lot of gossip between employees talking down about each other while I was waiting in-between interviews.

Most weird was TTX’s company culture. They admitted to me they were anti-growth and all my discussions about my railroad business development/relationship building experiences and passion actually seemed to hurt me. TTX seems very process oriented. I got the impression that innovation and asking “why?” are frowned upon. After all the interviews though, the hiring manager offered to take me out to lunch which I thought was a good sign. He specifically said I’d hear back in 2 weeks, that I wouldn’t “be waiting months.”

Except, that’s what happened. I checked in every two weeks, via e-mail and phone, to both the recruiter and hiring manager and never received a response. The hiring manager never acted on his lunch offer. I finally was able to get in touch with the hiring manager in April who told me that they had promoted internally a few weeks ago and the recruiter was supposed to have called to tell me.

While I was excited for the job at first, at that point I was relieved I didn’t get an offer. TTX was not a good fit for me. The job didn’t seem to offer the challenges I seek and unprofessionalism was rampant in all the people I met.

Interview Questions

• We're not perfect. What are some weaknesses you have?   1 Answer

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at TTX (Chicago, IL) in March 2010.

Interview

Initial contact was at a university job fair; I handed them my resume and spent about 5 minutes asking them what the position did. I was called in for an interview a few weeks later and talked for about an hour. It wasn't so much a question and answer interview, but more of a conversation. I found out the decision through a phone call a few weeks after that and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where something went wrong in the workplace.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. It was either accept or not.