TUI Travel Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
12 interviews

3.2

Yield Assistant Interview

We're committed to protecting our community from fraudulent submissions that might affect our ratings and reviews.

We review and approve every post before it appears on our site, and in the case that the community sees something suspicious we will look into the issue and take appropriate action.

We will not post reviews containing:

•Rants, venting, or obscenities
    •Personal insults or defamatory attacks (by name, title, or association)
    •Aggressive or discriminatory language
    •Trade secrets or information protected by employer contracts
    •Content not relevant or helpful to our community

Check In Agent Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at TUI Travel in March 2011.

I spoke to the Supervisor briefly over the phone. She schedule me for a group interview with other interviewees. Once I arrived at the location with the other interviewees, we were shown a slide show presentation about the company (we also filled out applications and questionairres). The Supervisor supported the slideshow by speaking about her own experience with the company and what characteristics are expected of the perspective employee and also what the employee can expect from the company. After the presentation was over, she spoke with each of us individually and asked a few questions. At that point she either offered the applicant a position or told the applicant she would get back to them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with the public and were under extreme pressure.   Answer Question
    • What type of personality do you have? Can you remain calm and keep a smile on your face even if a guest is rude and irate?   Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiations, the wage was the same across the board for new employees.

Graduate Program Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TUI Travel.

I applied to participate for the graduate program directly on the site. I then had to fill out a rapid assessment on the site. Was then contacted to conduct a phone interview. I was there explained about the numbers of people applying for the job, the probability to get in and the successive steps. Interview was mostly aimed at understanding if I had any previous experience in Hospitality

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose to apply if you don´t have a background in hospitality management   Answer Question

Had better offers somewhere else

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

The process took a day - interviewed at TUI Travel in April 2012.

-2-to-1 interview for 45 mins
    -group work for 1 hour
    -presentations
    -pairs work for problem solving
    -Role play

The location was not the best but very close to London.
    The office was really nice, showing very strong culture & very relaxed for Friday's seeing as it's casual dressing.

International Management Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hannover (Germany)
    Anonymous Employee in Hannover (Germany)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at TUI Travel in November 2012.

Several steps:
    1. CV

2. SWAT analysis of yourself
    Be honest and show potential fit with tourism industry

3. Online logical and numerical tests
    Hard but only require hitting the minimum score. Time is big issue here

4. Behavioral Interview
    see below

5. Assessment Center
    see below

They have 3 assessment centers per year and hire around 5-8 people. Selection is tough and can take a lot of time

Interview Questions
    • In interview classical behavioral questions (failure, success, leading a team, steering a team towards your opinion, 3 reasons for applying, what makes you unique)

In assessment center (12 people), 6 different exercises. Two in pairs, two in groups and two individual.

Pairs: case analysis and discussion
      Groups: product innovation case, presentation and Q&A
      Individual: presentation and "speed-networking", 5 minutes talks with TUI managers about personal and business issues ( current challenges for industry, fit with company values etc)
        Answer Question

Tui International Leadership Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at TUI Travel in January 2013.

The hiring process consists in a application screening, a SWOT of oneself, standard tests (logic, verbal...), a phone interview and a 2-day long assessment center in Luton, UK.
    The hiring is done from the German head office by one person. It is not a point system.

Interview Questions
    • speednetworking:
      "trends in travelling industry"
      " a situation where you didnt take risk"
      " how to communicate strategy"
        View Answer

Inbound Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at TUI Travel in February 2014.

I found the initial job post on an online job portal and applied via the TUI careers website (slightly annoying, involved putting in salary expectations, which you always feel under pressure to not overstate in order to be in with a better chance. I put in a relatively modest sum that is worth less than I am, really, as a minimum, and this was, coincidentally, the precise amount that was offered at a later point in the interview).

I received an invitation to interview via employee administrative email about a month later, scheduled for the following week. The date they had pre-selected was inconvenient, and I would have preferred that they call to arrange, rather than assume my availability. Nevertheless, I was able to rearrange for another mutually convenient date (though the administrator's email response took 2 days and was rather blunt).

There was no one at the reception to the quite large and confusingly laid-out building, so I had to find the right office on my own, which made me a few minutes late. Even so, there was some waiting around in the office for my interviewers for around 10-15 minutes.

The interviewer that met with me was pleasant, and took me into a room to complete a handwritten blog-writing assignment. I was allowed 30 mins, and was vaguely asked to write about "my last holiday". No target audience, word count or other specifics/directions were given, which made it somewhat challenging, and slightly reminiscent of those back-to-school, post-half-term writing assignments. I realise that the handwritten aspect may have been to assess spelling etc., but not having computer access (for a computer-based job) was bizarre and inconvenient.

After this, I was taken back to the waiting area again while my interviewers read over my magnum opus. 5-10 mins later, I was taken into another room for the face-to-face interview with two interviewers (the marketing manager and the team member manager, who had shown me into the first room for the writing test).

This was fairly standard, with no particularly difficult questions. The main interviewer hadn't seemed to have checked over my CV very thoroughly in advance at all, and asked me some irrelevant and surface-skimming questions that showed this - not a good sign. Otherwise, I was mostly asked questions that arose from responses I had given as opposed to prepared questions, and asked general questions about qualities I had, rather than specific experience and skills. The interview did not last as long as I anticipated, and the main interviewer came across as quite tired and disinterested from start to finish. I even tried to lighten the atmosphere by cracking an innocuous joke at one point, which was met with stony silence. Geez.

I felt I performed well, but came away with the distinct impression they had already pretty much decided they would not employ me and did not like the fact that I lived over an hour away (a comment was made about how long it takes to drive from my address, but they did not seem interested enough to ask whether I would be willing to relocate or not - which I was). This made it seem that there was little I could have done to succeed in this situation, which left me feeling somewhat powerless and put out.

At the interview's conclusion, I asked if they would like to view my online portfolio, which they expressed an interest in. I emailed it that afternoon to their secretary to pass on, as I wasn't given their contact details. No one responded, but I instead received a rejection email the next day. Lovely.

Oh, and the email was automated and could not be responded to, so I was unable to get any feedback, either.

Interview Questions
    • Please hand-write a blog post about your last holiday.   Answer Question

Overseas Operations Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TUI Travel in November 2008.

Internal promotion. Interviewed alongside external and internal candidates.

Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TUI Travel in June 2014.

Stage 1 was application form, stage 2 tests, phone interview then assessment centre. Assessment was a group exercise, which was deciding the details of a holiday then giving a presentation. Make sure you know brands. Then a case study (2 people) about certain issues/goals in the company, how would you tackle and then questions on those. Then an interview with two assessors. The whole day was pretty relaxed and seemed a great place to work! It is really really competitive so make sure you really speak up in the group tasks. And do loads of research!

Interview Questions
    • What did you enjoy about your degree? Tell me about a time when you had to overcome a challenge? Tell me about a time you improved something?   Answer Question

Seasonal Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at TUI Travel in June 2010.

The application form was intense, A LOT of information considering the calibre of staff that actually got hired not being that great because of the vast number of people they needed. The interview was equally intense, being a full day. A group interview in the morning where all the candidates for all different roles had different tasks to do in the room, mostly presentations. This was followed by an unprepared presentation where they gave a task for us to prepare in groups of similar job roles and we had to do individual presentations regarding the information we had been given to prepare. This was followed by a cull, and then lunch. After lunch individual interviews were held and were followed immediately by job offers which was a good point.

Interview Questions
    • The unprepared menu planning - we were given a list of store cupboard items and asked to create a two course menu from them. It was unexpected as it was never going to be reality that on the spot menu planning was going to have to occur.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I was asked what country I would like to work in and the one I wanted wasn't very popular so I was guaranteed it.

Worked for TUI Travel? Contribute to the Community!