TUI Travel

Updated Nov 21, 2014
Updated Nov 21, 2014

3.2

Yield Assistant Interview

We're committed to protecting our community from fraudulent submissions that might affect our ratings and reviews.

We review and approve every post before it appears on our site, and in the case that the community sees something suspicious we will look into the issue and take appropriate action.

We will not post reviews containing:

•Rants, venting, or obscenities
    •Personal insults or defamatory attacks (by name, title, or association)
    •Aggressive or discriminatory language
    •Trade secrets or information protected by employer contracts
    •Content not relevant or helpful to our community

Operations Manager Interview

Postion found via a HR company. Preliminary phone interview with Company HR mgr, then interview with Hiring manager. Interview was a review of my background, and more a discussion about how to deal with various situations. Offer was made direct from HR manager.

International Management Trainee Program Interview

CV and personal letter
    Personal SWOT analysis
    Online tests
    Phone interview
    Assessment center

Extensive process and a 2 day assessment center at the end where you have to do various group and individual exercises as well as interview.

Interview Questions
    • When were you in an ambiguous situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TUI Travel in July 2014.

Applied online and received invitation to interview shortly afterwards (within 2 weeks). Attended an interview in the offices in Crawley.

At first I was asked to complete a copywriting task, writing engaging copy by hand for an online brochure having been given the basic information required. I understand that this was a test of my literacy and competency, but in what world do copywriters write by hand?

The interview questions were not challenging and seemed to be looking for a specific answer rather than aiming to get to know my strengths and personality which is not what I might have expected from a first round interview. A couple of questions about their brand which demonstrates the ability to parrot info from the internet rather than looking at the competency of my marketing skills.

When I asked about the culture of the business and challenged the interviewers to explain the biggest challenges of working for TUI, as well as asking about professional development opportunities, the answers were poor. Professional development meant soft skills courses and powerpoint - I was thinking more along the lines of professional qualifications, leadership programmers, rigorous mentoring opportunities. Hmmm.

I got the distinct impression that these 2 were not interested in me after about 5 mins and were just going through the motions. A shame as I thought that this company would be a stimulating place to work.

3 months on I have yet to hear whether I progressed or not. They seemed unsure of whether they would run an assessment day, offer 2nd round interviews etc. Clearly they couldn't even be bothered to send a generic rejection email.

Check In Agent Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at TUI Travel in March 2011.

I spoke to the Supervisor briefly over the phone. She schedule me for a group interview with other interviewees. Once I arrived at the location with the other interviewees, we were shown a slide show presentation about the company (we also filled out applications and questionairres). The Supervisor supported the slideshow by speaking about her own experience with the company and what characteristics are expected of the perspective employee and also what the employee can expect from the company. After the presentation was over, she spoke with each of us individually and asked a few questions. At that point she either offered the applicant a position or told the applicant she would get back to them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with the public and were under extreme pressure.   Answer Question
    • What type of personality do you have? Can you remain calm and keep a smile on your face even if a guest is rude and irate?   Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiations, the wage was the same across the board for new employees.

Graduate Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TUI Travel.

I applied to participate for the graduate program directly on the site. I then had to fill out a rapid assessment on the site. Was then contacted to conduct a phone interview. I was there explained about the numbers of people applying for the job, the probability to get in and the successive steps. Interview was mostly aimed at understanding if I had any previous experience in Hospitality

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose to apply if you don´t have a background in hospitality management   Answer Question

Had better offers somewhere else

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

The process took a dayinterviewed at TUI Travel in April 2012.

-2-to-1 interview for 45 mins
    -group work for 1 hour
    -presentations
    -pairs work for problem solving
    -Role play

The location was not the best but very close to London.
    The office was really nice, showing very strong culture & very relaxed for Friday's seeing as it's casual dressing.

Softwareentwickler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hannover (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hannover (Germany)

(Translated from English)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at TUI Travel in November 2012.

Mehrere Schritte:
    1. Lebenslauf
    2. SWAT-Analyse der eigenen Person
    Seien Sie ehrlich und beweisen Sie Ihre potentielle Eignung für die Tourismusbranche
    3. Online-Tests zu Logik und Zahlenverständnis
    Schwierig, aber es muss nur die Mindestpunkteanzahl erreicht werden. Die größte Schwierigkeit hier ist die Zeit.
    4. Verhaltensinterview
    Siehe unten
    5. Assessment-Center
    Siehe unten
    Es werden jährlich drei Assessment-Center organisiert und fünf bis acht Leute eingestellt. Die Auswahl ist hart und kann viel Zeit in Anspruch nehmen.

Several steps:
    1. CV

2. SWAT analysis of yourself
    Be honest and show potential fit with tourism industry

3. Online logical and numerical tests
    Hard but only require hitting the minimum score. Time is big issue here

4. Behavioral Interview
    see below

5. Assessment Center
    see below

They have 3 assessment centers per year and hire around 5-8 people. Selection is tough and can take a lot of time

Interview Questions
    • Im Interview klassische Verhaltensfragen (Misserfolg, Erfolg, Teamführung, ein Team auf die eigene Meinung einschwören, 3 Gründe für die Bewerbung, was macht Sie einzigartig)

Im Assessment-Center (12 Leute), 6 verschiedenen Übungen. Zwei in Paaren, zwei

In interview classical behavioral questions (failure, success, leading a team, steering a team towards your opinion, 3 reasons for applying, what makes you unique)

In assessment center (12 people), 6 different exercises. Two in pairs, two in groups and two individual.

Pairs: case analysis and discussion
      Groups: product innovation case, presentation and Q&A
      Individual: presentation and "speed-networking", 5 minutes talks with TUI managers about personal and business issues ( current challenges for industry, fit with company values etc)

Answer Question

Tui International Leadership Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at TUI Travel in January 2013.

The hiring process consists in a application screening, a SWOT of oneself, standard tests (logic, verbal...), a phone interview and a 2-day long assessment center in Luton, UK.
    The hiring is done from the German head office by one person. It is not a point system.

Interview Questions
    • speednetworking:
      "trends in travelling industry"
      " a situation where you didnt take risk"
      " how to communicate strategy"

View Answer

Overseas Operations Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TUI Travel in November 2008.

Internal promotion. Interviewed alongside external and internal candidates.