TVA

Updated Sep 17, 2014
Updated Sep 17, 2014

2.8

Materials Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at TVA.

I lived out of state, so the only interview I had was over the phone. I was interviewed by three people, who all took turns asking me questions. I interviewed for the nuclear group so questions were tailored to that sector. Interview questions were pretty standard. Make sure to have an answer to "Why TVA?"

Interview Questions
    • "Why TVA?" For some reason, I was not prepared for this, such a simple question was not even on my radar. Just hoping I can help somebody else out who might make the same mistake.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at TVA.

Straight forward. You need to focus on the interviewer! If they are soft, they expect soft, kind answers. If they seem firm, they are looking for driven leaders that want the best for the business.

Interview Questions
    There ranges are 15 to 20K, so do not jump on the first offer! Negotiate everything.

Washington Representative Interview

Prior to joining TVA, I'd worked for a US Congressman. I was asked to return to Washington for TVA. I was a manager in the Employee Communications staff for TVA for two years then a representative for them in Washington for 5 years.

Interview Questions
    "We want you to go back to Washington for us, and here's your salary."

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at TVA.

I was hired through a campus recruiting process. The main HR representative contacted one of my professors to see if anyone was interested in an interview, I emailed them back my resume and they offered me an on campus interview. One week prior to the interview, the HR representative emailed me the questions they were going to ask, they were very basic interview questions and easy to prepare for.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to be creative in a group environment.   View Answer

Student Generator Plant Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevenson, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevenson, AL

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at TVA.

3 people on interview. Different questions asked to different applicants. Short because they already had specific people picked I was just fortunate that several pre-picked people turned down the job. It took 8 years after applying to get an interview due to the selection process of hand picking by the union.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a co-worker who is not pulling their weight?   View Answer
    They said I was number 3 on a call back list. So several people turned down the job and I was called back with an offer.

Human Resource Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at TVA.

The time between application and interview was quite lengthy. From the time of initial phone screen to hire was about 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • I always find the question "Tell me about your self" difficult, as I am not accustomed to talking about myself.   Answer Question

Control Room Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at TVA.

The best way to find out about position openins is to know someone that works there, networking. The hiring process includes, in this order; resume submission and filtering, EEI test, interview (three person panel with standard questions) and finally physical. If you have a strong mechanical/electrical background, it will benefit you greatly.

Interview Questions
    • There were several questions, but my interveiw was several years ago. The questions are the standard "give us an example" type of questions.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation for a Trades and Labor position.

Attorney Interview

Submitted resume, interviewed and hired

Electrical Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TVA.

Having interviewed for three different engineering positions here, the interview questions can vary widely from non-technical to technical. Some interviewers have written questions on three-phase power to solve while others asked for evaluation of test results of a breaker bushing. Being in the South, the interviewee's football affiliation can play an indirect part in how well one meshes with the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • There was one question where an AC circuit was given voltage, power, and a desired power factor. The interviewee was expected to find the required capacitance that needed to be added in parallel to the load.   Answer Question

IT Service Management Consultant Interview

Group interview. Many questions, most of them quote easy - little time or regard for conversation. Was interviewed by immediate supervisors as well as next-level-up VP. Interesting atmosphere, culture seemed perhaps a bit dated relative to private sector companies.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect to be the most difficult challenge in this position?   Answer Question

Better offer in the private sector