www.tableausoftware.com

Updated Jan 12, 2015
Updated Jan 12, 2015

3.2

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Tableau Software.

Had a phone interview. Was asked about the challenges faced during the project and other behavioural questions. Was asked simple program on array . Interviewer was very patient. Donot panic. Its a really easy go process. The process took hardly a week and I was given my decision by the recruiter.

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, WA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Tableau Software.

Was very interesting. Was shuffled around to many people. Had to do a written piece that was really not related to the job. I was not technical enough so got sent away

Technical Editor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Tableau Software.

The interview process started with a couple of phone screens, both of which were encouraging and informative. The call with the hiring manager, in particular, was great fun and hinted at growth opportunities in the team.

The onsite interview process started with a half-hour editing test, which was a train wreck of a procedure that basically needed to be burned to the ground and rewritten from scratch. We then launched into a series of individual and two-person interviews. Some were open and engaging; others felt awkward and vaguely confrontational.

After five hours, I left disappointed. I really wanted to like the job as the hiring manager described it, but it seemed to have a split personality, depending on who was characterizing the work.

Two days later, the recruiter told me they wouldn't be moving forward. This was for the best, since this particular job didn't feel like the right fit for either them or me. All in all, a positive experience. I'm glad I looked into Tableau and would recommend it to others.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tableau Software.

Bias against older candidates. Concern regarding lack of older employees and bias toward “Microsoft style” hiring is mentioned in reviews posted by employees. My interview experience is consistent with those observations, although I had not read those before interviewing. The interview team and Director did poorly on teamwork / work environment focused questions that I asked.

Phone interviews were very standard. The “Homework” assignment was seemingly trivial, but contained a “trick” to trip up less experienced candidates.

The team I was interviewing for was working on a not-yet-released version of their product, which was at a beta level, but not posted for download yet. They were distributing the beta so I asked the phone interviewer if they could send me a copy, but he said no (more about this below).

The onsite interview was very disorganized. The HR person was a no-show, so I waited in the lobby until the first technical session, which was delayed. All technical segments were conducted with 2 interviewers. The lead interviewer scheduled for the first session was also not available, so they hurriedly found someone else, who obviously had insufficient time to review my background. The coding questions asked in the first session did not seem to be appropriate for my experience level, probably because the interviewer did not have time to prepare. I remained cheerful and upbeat during the session, but that actually seemed to irritate the lead interviewer. He seemed annoyed that he had to interview me on short notice, and it showed.

The second session was also all coding. Lunch with two team members was next but again, one of the scheduled (a manager) was not available, so they found another person to fill in. Both were junior staff which was fine, but they seemed a bit uncomfortable at first (especially the replacement). Lunchtime discussion was mainly informal, but I decided to ask about the beta version of the product. They said it had been packaged as a ‘public’ beta and would be no problem to send to candidates. They even seemed surprised no one sent it to me already. This was a concerning inconsistency. I did not revel to them that I had asked for it but was told ‘no’ by the phone interviewer.

Another technical session followed lunch. Yet again, there was a change but the manager originally scheduled for lunch joined this session. The other interviewer was the same person who conducted the phone interviewer. He was not a pleasant person at all. The questions at this last session were pointless because they were just more “trick” questions. Also, the interview team did not work together well during this session.

Note: My interview was months ago.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing specific, except most questions were not effective.   Answer Question

Technical Trainer and Desktop Training Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Tableau Software in December 2014.

The culture is infectious for amped-up, excited, assertive people. Most of the people are very young and the company is very young and they seem to have a very high number of HR on staff.

The interview process started with a couple of phone screens, both of which were encouraging and informative. There was an in-person coffee meeting with the hiring manager which was great fun and hinted at growth opportunities in the team.

The on-site interview started with a series of individual and two-person interviews. Some were open and engaging; others felt awkward and vaguely confrontational. The demonstration was disappointing since they wanted complete knowledge of the software and a very assertive 'salesy' attitude. As a trainer you are expected to sell the software. Although if these are customers you are training didn't they already buy the software? Is Tableau having trouble with retention of existing customers?
    They have an enormous amount of helpful material online and they scheduled trainers to review the demo process with you. You need to find an interesting sales data set that is not their sample data. Then you need to aggressively "sell" them on their software.

There were inconsistencies between the people on the team and HR. The recruiters and HR don't have the same message about the job.
    There was no followup from HR - I had to contact them twice to get the standard message that they are headed in another direction.

Interview Questions
    • Logic puzzle question that was not related to the job or the software product. It was a question to learn how you think.   Answer Question
    • How do you handle aggressive customers?   View Answer

Network Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tableau Software in November 2014.

Interview Experience with Tableau - Senior Network Engineer

I get a call & mail from HR Chris Parker & Kari Stickel to confirm interview.Followed with an hour long technical call with Jason Hernandez. He finishes by saying you passed( Of course, due to my background and experience i knew more than him. but thats okay cause when people stay too long, they forget the world outside is way smarter and sharper) and i’ll put you for next inperson interview. And was advised to use their Tableau software(link to download, etc).

In-person interview schedule sent by Karl:

Thank you!  I'm confirming your on-site interview for Friday, 11/14 beginning at 10:55 am. Please ask for Kari when you arrive. Here is your meeting agenda:

10:55 am – 11:00 am       Kari Stickel (Recruiting Coordinator)
    11:00 am – 11:30 am       Brian Smith (VP, Technical Operations)
    11:30 am – 12:00 pm       Carey Fujii (Director, Information Technology)
    12:00 pm – 1:00 pm         Lunch: David Pauls (Manager, Corporate Infrastructure)
    1:00 pm – 2:00 pm           Jason Hernandez (Network Architect)
    2:00 pm – 3:00 pm           Matt Miller (Network Administrator) + Ian Price (Sr. Network Engineer)
    3:00 pm – 4:00 pm           Johnny Hua (Systems Architect) + David Levinson (Manager, Unified Communications)
    4:00 pm – 5:00 pm           Saul Trujillo (Network Engineer) + Carlo Reynante (Network Administrator)
    5:00 pm – 5:05 pm           Kari Stickel (Recruiting Coordinator)
     Kari Stickel
    Recruiting Coordinator
    t: 206.633.3400 x7613
    f: 206.633.3004
    e: kstickel@tableausoftware.com
    On Thursday morning, the day before I was due to visit their office in Seattle,  I get a call from Chris Parker that "Hiring manager has decided to hire an old colleague. Thank you. I didn’t want you to come in and then find out. (And then a bone is thrown to me.) Btw, we got new openings coming in next quarter would you be interested in me contacting you”. Well if you do happen to be the unfortunate one to have an interview with Tableau, be careful not to trust since am not the 1st one to have faced this. This company seems to have history of betraying prospective candidate’s trust.
    —Thomas Bipin--

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Tableau Software in October 2014.

I submitted my resume to an open position. I received an automated response, not surprising. The next communication was similarly an automated response, albeit with the name of an individual which I was told was not an actual person at the company. This response was, in essence, a cattle call. Asked to select a time from a list of slots at 30 min intervals. Not a good first impression. Still I thought I'd pursue this opportunity with a seemingly good company.

When I arrived for my interview, there were several interviewees sitting and waiting to be taken into the 'pen'. The first person I met with detailed the actual position and salary. When we both realized that I was over-qualified for this position, it was stated that by going through the interview process with a great result, there was a possibility that something positive would come of it. I chose to continue with the process (a poor choice in hind sight) and sailed through each 'station' with ease.

When I finally met with the Support Manager, he informed me that his team had expanded from 20 to over 100 in about 2 years...!!!?? 100+ support engineers for a company of that size? hrmmm His last words were (roughly): thanks for your time, you are very qualified and would be a great addition to our team. Someone from HR will be in touch with you very soon to follow up. This is what I call "Blowing rainbows"...

I followed up with an email of 'Thanks' the next morning and after hearing nothing from them 4 days later, I sent another follow up email and got no response at all. After 8 days, I sent another (the last intended) and still received no response. The next day, 9 days after the interview process, I received a poorly scripted and completely impersonal form email from someone with the title "Sales Recruiter" stating that they were going in another direction.

For a company that is so highly regarded, this whole process was surprising, disappointing and eye-opening. Knowing how quickly the company is growing, there is no doubt that they have lost sight of the important things, how to treat people. In the long run, this attitude can come back to haunt them if not addressed.

Interview Questions
    • What is more useful? A Banana or a Stapler and Why?   View Answer

Sales Area Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Tableau Software in October 2014.

This was simultaneously both the best and the worst interview experience I have ever had. Here's the good and the bad.

The Good: I was very excited about this role. I believe it to be a solid product that I could get behind and believe in and really sell well. I had an old colleague that works there that introduced me to the place, had a couple of phone calls, then the on site interview. The level of rapport I had with everyone over the phone was through the roof. Everything was jiving great. And the on site interview (with one notable exception we'll get to in a moment) was an awesome experience. The people were awesome, I knocked the interview questions and the demo out of the part, etc. I really like they way they do the interview process as it gives a candidate a chance to show their stuff, which if you got the stuff to show is only pure goodness.

The Bad: Now for the "notable exception" mentioned above. One of the individuals I had to interview with was a person way up the chain of command in Seattle. Since I was in Austin, I had to teleconference with her. Ok - get this!

First, the lady shows up without a copy of my resume. As she's across the country, I can't hand her a copy. And turns out she has bad reception in the room, so I can't e-mail her a copy.

Are you kidding me?!?!?! I spent hours upon hours preparing for this interview and you couldn't spend 30 seconds making sure you have a copy of my resume?!?! I have never in my life been on an interview where the person on the other end had no copy of way of getting a copy of my resume. How do you conduct a successful interview like that? Answer: You don't.

So what does she do? She goes over to my LinkedIn profile (which was not custom set up for this interview like my resume was) picks out the most obscure content on there and proceeds to ask off the wall questions. All the while expressing an incredibly cold demeanor as if to say "try all you want buddy, there's no way you're building rapport with me!"

After a few minutes of random questions from LinkedIn, she seems to be thinking "well, I can't ask him any intelligent questions based on his resume since I didn't bother to bring a copy with me, so I think I'll just grill him and see how well I can make him squirm."

It was not an interview. It was an interrogation. I have been on hundreds of interviews in my life, and that 20 minute session with her stands tall high above all the rest as the most ridiculous interview of my life.

Despite that, I was hopeful based on how overwhelmingly good everything else had gone. HR guy told me I'd hear back on a week. One week goes by. Then two. Then three. I send a couple of follow-up messages, but to no avail.

Then finally come to find out that I did not get the job. Why? Yep, because of that one 20 minute interview. A lady shows up ill prepared, conducts the most ridiculous interview in the most cold hearted way, and that is what makes the final decision. Unbelievable.

Key takeaways to the folks at Tableau:

1-I know this sounds like a crazy concept, but when interviewing someone, make sure you have some way of having their resume on hand. Just a thought.

2-If you tell someone they will hear back in a certain time, then whether the news is good or bad, let them know, especially if they are following up with you.

Interview Questions
    • What would others say your weakness is? I often get "what is your greatest weakness" but asking it that way threw me off a bit.

Also: If given a choice between money and recognition which would you choose?

View Answer

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tableau Software in October 2014.

After applying on-line, it took approximately 2 months for the interview process. After having several interviews, I was asked to perform a remote presentation of Tableau's software. All indications were that this went extremely well. As a result, I was asked to travel for an on-site set of interviews and perform the presentation again.

At the beginning of the day it was indicated by HR that I would probable receive an offer withinn a day or so and equipment delivery and training schedules were already discussed.

I then interviewed with numerous Sales executives and performed the product demo again. This time a minor mistake I made prevented a perfectly smooth delivery. Apparently, any mistake is construed poorly (as if you are supposed to have already been trained and worked with the software as your current job) I wonder if an existing employee were to make the same mistake if it they would be fired.

The bottom line is that an offer was not extended. The feedback was that I was not aggressive or 'salesy' enough. That seemed a bit odd since I have helped sold over 200 million in software solutions during my career. Additionally, it did not seem to matter that I had a large network of previous colleagues that would attest to my abilities.

Perhaps they believe that they someone over 50 can drink the company coolaid. Check the internal reviews, this is a very young company with very few over 40.

Interview Questions
    • Are you aggressive or take charge of a meeting or do you step back and listen   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tableau Software in October 2014.

Contacted by a recruiter as a response to my initial inquiry via a social networking site. Spoke with a recruiter who thought my experience and background were a perfect match and was moved to next steps to speak with Director of team. Spent quite of bit of time preparing but during my call, the director didn't ask me any questions. I waited and if I didn't ask a question there would have been total silence. The call was and preparation was a complete waste of my time. It appeared that the director had no intentions of interviewing me, I wish he would have just cancelled instead of wasting my time.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were asked, I did all the talking in order to avoid an awkward silence.   Answer Question