Tableau Software Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 7, 2014
81 interviews

3.3

Product Consultant Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tableau Software in July 2014.

I was referred by a current employee. I submitted my resume through Tableau's website and heard back from a recruiter pretty quick. My first task was to complete a take home assignment that demonstrated my ability to create 'views' in Tableau Desktop. After I received feedback from that I was invited to come onsite to interview with a couple managers and product consultants. I spoke with 4 people for about a half hour each, and in total spent between 3-4 hours onsite-including talking with the recruiters, and getting a tour. None of the questions were too hard, it was mostly behavioral and conversational. If the interview goes well the last step is to do a product demonstration. I couldn't meet onsite again so I did it by via web conference. This was by far the most intensive part. You really have to study the product because they will try to stump you with questions as you present your demo.

The process was a little segmented, but it is very thorough and it is a good way to prove to both yourself and the company that this is a product/company you are excited about. The recruiters are very helpful and approachable and will give plenty of tips and pointers along the way.

Interview Questions
    • -Explain this to someone who isn't technical. (in regards to a feature/capability in Tableau Desktop during the demo)   Answer Question
    none

Software Engineer Test Engineering Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tableau Software in June 2014.

After phone conversation with recruiter, I had phone interview in following week. Interviewer called me on time. He was not sure about me and asked questions that are already in my resume. From this, I felt he did not prepare for my interview but, substitute interviewer available during the time.

Director, Customer Solutions Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tableau Software in June 2014.

Process included a screening call with a recruiter, a call with two peers for the position and the former incumbent, a call with the hiring manager, and then an interview loop on-site.

For the loop interview, I was scheduled to meet with three people; face-to-face (30 min), call-in (30 min), and face-to-face (60 min). The first interview consisted mostly of me responding to hypothetical situations. The call-in never happened for the second interview; the interviewer dropped out last minute. For the final interview, I waited 30 minutes for the interviewer to show up. When he did show up, he talked for 15 minutes, so my actual hour interview lasted 15 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions from the interviewers. The interviews were very straightforward.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Core Server Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Tableau Software in June 2014.

I met a manager at a recruiting event one Thursday evening. After a conversation he took me to a recruiter who took my info. She contacted me next day to set up a phone screen. The phone screen was set up for the following Wednesday. I had a pleasant conversation with the phone screener. He asked a variety of questions. No single one was in-depth but overall it covered a broad area focused on data structures and algorithms. The main question he asked me was write code for a method that receives an input stream and an output stream and then de-duplicates the incoming input, assuming that each read of the stream would be an integer. We did not have a tool like Collabedit I had to just write it on paper and read it over the phone.

After the screen, I was given "homework" to write the code for a binary search and to write the code for a method that receives a string and then sorts the characters and returns that as a new string. No library code allowed. Full unit tests required. I turned this in the next day, Thursday, and was scheduled for an on-site interview for the following Monday.

Everything was mostly good so far. I went into Monday positive. The only thing I wasn't sure about was that the schedule for the interview covered lunch but there was no mention of lunch. Monday morning when I arrived the recruiter had supplied me one schedule via e-mail for the interview but told me that it had been changed. Still, she did not give me the new schedule. Instead she put it in a folder that she kept. She also talked about benefits with me and put that in the folder.

She delivered me to the first interview room where we waited until the hiring manager came. He and the recruiter had a conversation about who else was supposed to be there as apparently all interviews are conducted with two interviewers. Still no one ever showed up besides this one guy. He behaved oddly. He asked me if I was good at Java threading and I replied that it was one of my weak areas. He then proceeded to ask me: provided an interface, make sure the method on this interface is only called by X number of threads at once. I began to answer but he stopped me to give me a lesson on the synchronized keyword. I had used it incorrectly. After the lesson, I provided what he later said was a good implementation. But during my implementing, I asked questions about whether the objects used by the provided interface returned certain exceptions or what any constraints might be from using these objects. Every time I asked a question, he just said either: "You don't need to know that." or "Why do you need to know that?" He repeated this several times. I found it curt and rude. At the end of our time, he said, "Well you told me you were weak in this area. We don't do much of this anyway. It's just a job interview question." I was thinking "what the heck!?"

Moving into the next interview, it was with one person on-site, and another person attending via videoconference (vc). This person was quite joyless and had a flat affect. I found the vc aspect very distracting and had a hard time focusing. He asked me to use only one section of whiteboard because he could not point his vc camera at the other part. The question was to design a 911 dispatch system, which I thought I did a good job on but it was clear that my idea of a "design a___" question --- that you design it (not code it!) was not what they were after. They were definitely after code. I continually raised various design considerations and apparently we miscommunicated because at one point the vc guy answered a question with, "Well that's a design consideration..." and I was thinking, "Yeah! That's why I am raising it!"

The third interview was actually just two people taking me to lunch. In the fourth interview, it was again one on-site person and one vc person. This time, the vc person ate their lunch during the interview and you could hear them chewing over the microphone. They constantly interrupted me as I tried to work through the supplied problem on the white board. My white board had several partial starts down different aspects of the questions. Later there was a comment made that I only wrote down two test cases....what?? I was interrupted when trying to write more.

The entire time, the schedule seemed to have been in flux. Even based on the schedule I saw that morning, I saw different people in a different order. One of my interviewers didn't even show up. Somehow they had the wrong resume for me (a much older version) even though I had emailed it to the recruiter just the week before. When I told her this at the end of the day, she had forgotten all about this and again asked that I email it to her.

One interesting thing I noticed is that I was only asked technical questions and nothing behavioral.

Overall, I found the on-site interview experience disorganized, chaotic, disorienting, and the personality of half the people I met curt and joyless.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure a method in an interface only can be called by X number of threads at a time. Design a 911 dispatch system. Find the largest int value in a binary search tree that is still less than a value passed in to the method.   View Answer

The feel of the place is disorganized and chaotic and the people didn't seem nice.

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tableau Software.

Felt like a quick process. I made initial contact at a campus job fair and they were doing background checks in two weeks with an offer by the third week. (yes, they will in fact contact your references)
    I thoroughly enjoyed the interview process and felt a great connection to the team. I especially appreciated the managers' thoughts on team-building and career progression.
    I would certainly recommend that a friend interview here.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any unexpected questions, just a broad spectrum due to the nature of tech support. I know it's been said before but you definitely need to download the free copy of the software and muck around with it a bit before your interview.   Answer Question

I ultimately turned down the offer because the job is at the edge of the core work that I'd like to do and multiple other opportunities have come up.

Account Executive Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Tableau Software.

After meeting with the hiring manager, I was told to download the free software and put together a demo based on a vague instructional document

Interview Questions
    • The document was very technically focused, and I was required to set up my whole demo with data, etc. But then when I got into the "interview" questions were thrown at me that had nothing to do with what I prepared and were very deep questions about the solution. It was like a sales call after being with the company for a long time with no back up.   Answer Question

Help Desk Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Tableau Software.

This process had three stages: 1. Phone screen. 2. Phone interview. 3. In person interview.

Here are the questions I remember...

From the phone screen (by a recruiter/HR person):
    - What does DHCP stand for and what does it do?
    - What does SaaS mean/stand for?
    - Give examples of commands you've used in command prompt (or what does ipconfig do?)
    The phone screen also involves a get-to-know-you portion where you are asked about what you know about Tableau, what interested you about the position, and how familiar you are with their product, if at all. The interviewer was friendly. This was not stressful.

From the phone interview (by the help desk manager):
    - Tell me what your definition of great customer service is.
    - Tell me why I should hire you instead of someone else in this big stack of papers.
    - I was told that they are looking for a good fit with Tableau culture. "Tableau culture" is referenced a number of times during the entire interviewing process. Tableau culture is defined as follows: Friendly. We are not afraid to tell you that you are being too loud. We share knowledge with each other. We expect that if you don't know the solution to a problem that you at least try to Google it.

The interviewer was slightly less personable than the phone screener mentioned above. The question about the stack of papers was a bit off-putting. I got the sense that he was swamped with applicants and should not expect things to go further.

From the in-person interview (conducted by various team members):
    - I was shown the inside of a PC that was placed on the table. I was asked to identify components. Among these were: expansion slots, the location of the CPU, the connectors on the hard drives and asked what the type is called (SATA), I was asked the purpose of expansion slots and to name an example of what type of output would be found on a video card (like DVI), I was shown a video card port and asked to identify it - it looked like HDMI but it was really DisplayPort.

- Tell us about your background.

- Tell us about RAID. What is Raid 0? What is RAID 1?
    - What is the difference between .ost file and .pst file?
    - I user is unable to connect to the network. An IP address of 169.x.x.x is found. What does this mean and how do you troubleshoot?
    - If do you respond if you don't know the answer to a question?

- A laptop has been positioned to a docking station equipped with dual monitors. An hour ago a problem began where any object that is dragged across the screen leaves copies of itself in its trail. How do you troubleshoot this? This was claimed to be an actual problem and it had to do with the display itself or its drivers - it was resolved either by reseating cables or updating the driver (I think). The solution was nothing else I suggested, that's for sure.

- What is Active Directory? Explain its purpose.
    - What do you like the most about your current job?
    - What do you like the least about your current job?
    - Do you have experience with Macs?
    - How do you find the IP address on a Mac?
    - How do you add a Mac to a Windows domain?
    - Do you have experience with mobile device support? Android? iOS?

- A user approaches you about a problem they are having with their mobile device. It is a personal device, it is not for work, and it is not work-related. You are on you shift, you are not on break, but you are not busy; you have been caught in a free moment. How do you treat the situation?

The in-person interview began with videoconferencing with the HR/phone screener from the beginning of the whole process. Emphasis was used when stating that they are looking for a culture fit. It was also insinuated that this might not work out and it was suggested that I could apply for another position that may match my qualifications from previous work experience. It was also advised that I ask questions to the panel. The drift of the comment was that the panel likes it if you ask them questions and that asking no questions may likely result in no job offer. This conversation was uncomfortable for me. Not encouraging.

I have to wonder if the outcome of my application was determined before the start of the in-person interview. Voicemail was left a week later to inform me that other applicants are being pursued.

Software Engineer Test Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Tableau Software in December 2013.

It was roughly a 4 week process. The recruiter contacted me from a seminar I went to. There was a phone interview first, then they gave me a homework assignment. The actual interview took place about 4 weeks later. I had 2 interviews, each with 2 team developers.

Interview Questions
    • How would you implement an app that moniters player statuses in a campus wide game without using a server.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kirkland, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Tableau Software in March 2014.

First homework assignment then 1 hour phone interview, then they called me for onsite interview. Onsite interview was very pleasant with 3 rounds technical whiteboard coding and fourth round HR. They asked me if I have tried their product and I said no.

Anonymous Employee  in  Kirkland, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Tableau Software.

After applying, I quickly got call from the recruiter. He was fair and open in asking relevant information he needed. Also, he was fair in explaining the whole process and quick in responding afterwards. I quickly got called to have onsite interview. Note that there was no telephonic interview. My experience with onsite interview was not as smooth as I expected. During the interview process, I decided to not join the company. Here is the reason: while in the interview, the interviewer told me that he expected me to play with the tableau software more. I didn't expect this response in the interview as there was no such expectation set when talking with the recuiter. I think the company does not want people who are passionate about technology...but it wants the people who have played with the software and knows in depth what it does so that it saves their time in training the person.

Interview Questions
    • How much I have dug deep in using the Tableau software? I hoped you have dug deeper and used the product more...   View Answer

Worked for Tableau Software? Contribute to the Community!