Tableau Software

72 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Tableau Software.

Interview Details – College Career Fair

Interview Question – What's the difference between Java and C++?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tableau Software.

Interview Details – I met the hiring manager at an open-house style job fair held at the Tableau offices in Fremont. After applying, I was invited to talk with the hiring manager further over the phone about a week later. The conversation was about 30 minutes and concentrated on growth in his department and how it would impact the company as a whole.

After this, I was called by the recruiter who noted to me that the pay range for the role was "really not up to market standards" which dismayed me a bit. The recruiter noted that they told the hiring manager that it might be tough to get qualified candidates in place, but I wanted to see where this role went so I said I was still interested. I could always say "no" if it went down that path. She also told me that the hiring manager would like me to come in person for in-person interviews. These were scheduled for the following week.

Odd thing was that the "in-person interviews" comprised of strictly talking to one person in the office and then everyone else via phone. While I can understand, particularly considering the time of year, it was odd to have me come in to meet with one person from a distantly related team.

The interviews went pretty well. Mainly focused on what I've done in the past, what I think about various aspects about marketing to the target market, etc.

I met with people in sales, marketing and international teams. The later of which grilled me substantially about my "lack of international experience". I think I handled that well enough considering the circumstances. After this, I was set to meet with another senior level individual within the company over the phone. After waiting about 20 minutes into the time I was supposed to talk with them, I assumed something happened and reached out to the rather helpful recruiter. She replied that the interviewer was indeed supposed to have been on the call but she would reach out to them to see if it might be possible to reschedule it.

As it stands now, about 3 weeks later, I haven't heard a word back from the recruiter or from anyone else in the company. If they didn't think I was a great fit, that's perfectly fine...just tell me that so I can check it off my list.

Tableau looks to be a dynamic, energetic company with talented people but with their recent increase in hiring, it certainly leaves a lot to be desired to maintaining at least basic communication with those they would like to interview.

Interview Question – It looks like you lack any substantive international marketing experience. Why is that the case?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Sales Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Tableau Software in November 2013.

Interview Details – A "in house job fair" was held at their office in Austin TX. You go in and in groups you get shuffled around from task to task to task. And then you leave.

Interview Question – I don't think they understood the role I was applying for as they thought I was a sales person when I'm an engineer. The most difficult thing was the trial ... Sell me on buying your companies pen"   View Answer

Sales Area Manager Interview

Sales Area Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tableau Software in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for a sales position through an employee referral and was contacted within 10 days. My first interview was over the phone with the sales manager. I was informed at the end of the interview that they wanted to bring me onsite for the in-person interviews and product demo. The recruiter then called to get me scheduled and also share some helpful advice on how to prep for the product demo. The onsite interview consisted of interviewing with 4 different people followed by doing the product demo for 3 of those 4 individuals.

Interview questions range from behavioral to going through your resume. Focus on convincing the interviewer how your past experience will tie into the role you're interviewing for and how you'll bring value to the team/company. For the product demo, I recommend focusing on the VALUE of the product and having a game plan for what exactly you want to go over during your demo. You'll be the driver of the presentation and they will bring up objections throughout (primarily concerning price and how the product is cost-effective.)

Overall - a very positive experience with everyone I spoke with. Enthusiastic team of individuals and an awesome product.

Interview Question – What drives you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little to negotiate, but very happy with the compensation package and benefits.

Product Consultant Interview

Product Consultant
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Tableau Software in November 2013.

Interview Details – I had prepared for this interview since graduating from the UW. I had everything down and was very prepared. In the initial interview process, I met with 7 different people from recruiters to sales team members and it took ~4.5 hours, longer than the 3 hours they said it would take. Longer than expected but I suppose it was a good thing. I was given an offer to come back and give a sales demonstration to see my sales skills and technical aptitude. Overall my demo went well but I gave a presentation that was too technical/advanced and added less value to the product. The following Monday I got a call telling me they would go to offer with other candidates letting me know my demo was not what they wanted. Again on Tuesday the same thing happened from an entirely different recruiter, but in addition to the standard script I was told they would keep my file in their system.

I ran into the hiring manger who sat in on my demonstration the following Friday and he did not know that I didnt get an offer. I have since ran into 4 other product consultants who sat in on my demonstration and they were all confused that I did not get an offer. Needless to say, I'm more confused than I was leaving the demo, and am very very disappointed by the lack of communication between hiring parties and entirely confused about the hiring process. Overall the draw for tableau culture seems to be the biggest thing about their expansion in the last 6 months. However I believe they are hiring very fast at the expense of organization and quality experience.

TL;DR Got denied for the same position twice by two different people on different days, and the hiring manager didnt know I didnt get an offer. Not a great experience.

Interview Question – Sell me a pen for my construction company that goes through far too much ink and breaks pens all the time.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tableau Software in November 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screen and in person interview with 5 teams. 4 out 5 teams asked coding questions.

Interview Question – Find closet match in a BST   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tableau Software in April 2013.

Interview Details – HR phone screen, homework, technical phone screen, on-site interview

Interview Question – Implement binary search tree and reverse a string in C++ and Java   Answer Question

Knowledge Program Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Tableau Software.

Interview Details – Had a series of interviews: 1 phone interview with HR, 1 phone interview with small team, an in-person interview with 8 different team members, 1 phone interview with manager, also had to write an essay…

There was a lot of waiting & calling me back in to check on one thing or another…Projected dates for a decision were prolonged several times...

Overall, I felt that the team was still relatively new & they didn't quite know how to go about the interview process or what they really wanted/needed…I was more than qualified for the offered position, and graciously went through all the hoops they requested - Ultimately they went with their less-experienced internal candidate because they "wanted to demonstrate that they would promote from within" and "were loyal to their existing staff."

Product Consultant Interview

Product Consultant
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tableau Software in November 2013.

Interview Details – Interview through the open session interviews. I spent 3 hours doing mini interviews with different members of the team with scenarios such as "What would you say to this client" or "Sell me this item". Overall it was quite smooth and everyone was great to work with. At the end, they invited me to prepare a demo for the following week.

During the product demo, they want to see your use of Tableau and less the who presentation you have prepared. But mind this, definitely prepare a full presentation as if it was a product demo to a potential customer. Also, USE YOUR OWN DATA. I don't care where it comes from, but they have seen the sample data so much they could walk you through it in your sleep. Be fun and original.

Interview Question – Sell me this pen. You have fifteen minutes. Go.   View Answer

Software Test Engineer Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Tableau Software.

Interview Details – Got referred by a friend, and then went through a technical phone screen. Nothing hard, just questions about items on my resume. Went to an onsite interview and was asked to write some basic algorithms. Was asked a lot of questions about how to optimize my solutions to make it run faster. Was also asked how to test each function, had to list out inputs and outputs that I would apply to each function.

Interview Question – Explicitly asked not to share questions.   Answer Question