Tableau Software Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

3.3

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software in June 2015.

Interview

Hiring process was slow and scheduling was sporadic. Some individuals were not responsive to schedule next steps for up to a few weeks. This was disappointing. This was the least smooth interview process I went through with little to no continuity of administrative support or HR support throughout the process. Both these groups were unresponsive to follow-through after asking me to advance in the evaluation. It was a poor representation of the company's brand.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied Online. A recruiter reached out with an invitation to discuss the role. A technical assessment was sent to me, I completed it and submitted and never heard back from anyone on the team.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software.

Interview

I scheduled with Tableau a time slot for interviews. The actual interview process took about 3 hours. There were various interview sessions, some dealing with technical skills and others dealing with personal aptitude. Employees were great and very friendly.

Interview Questions

• There were technical questions regarding network, database, and server. Plus, the typical interview questions....Why Tableau?...   Answer Question

Desktop Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

One thing I appreciated the most about this interview was being interviewed by several different folks on the team. I had to repeat the same thing over and over but it was nice to get different angles. The manager asked me a few technical questions that I know I didn't do well on. I'm better at showing someone how its done on a working PC then telling you how to do something. Its sucks people judge you based on confidence rather than doing it. The interview took over 4 hours. It definitely can be trimmed down but if you get the job its worth it. They really care if you will fit into their culture. The company is very casual so the folks that interview you will be in a T-Shirt and Jeans / Shorts. 90% of my interview was via Webex which was a first for me but I think I was less nervous this way. The company is growing rapidly and is based out of Seattle so expect interviews that may not be face to face. They really wanted to get to know me so I did appreciate that I wasn't treated like a number.

Interview Questions

• If someone was missing their PST in outlook how would you find it?   1 Answer

Interview

Typical phone screen with recruiter, then technical phone screen. On-site with 6 interviews (panel of 2 each), 1 was a lunch interview. The recruiter was responsive to emails, and scheduling was handled well. The interview questions were not especially difficult, BST, Graph problems, system design, etc. Do yourself a favor and read other people's experiences interviewing with this company. You might think you did well, but there's a good chance you will get rejected. They won't give any reason why, and I guess that makes sense. You most likely need to stand out compared to the standard answers that they hear, especially for a senior level role. The company values culture just as much as technical proficiency, so make sure that you fit that mold before applying as well.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Screening phone interview, one with Recruiter, one with department manager. A 3rd call was to go over the Demo with the recruiter. Went to the office for a Demo and had my 4th interview with sales manager and a 5th interview with the director. The recruiter did not follow up as promised and took nearly a month to tell me I was not selected for the job. The recruiter did not call at the scheduled time in 3 different instances, which made me very confused. I was taking the interview phone calls while on break or lunch (currently employed) and the lack of punctuality hurt me. The 2 first phone interviews seemed like they were trying to convince me that even though they paid less than my current job, the company was a better fit for me. They did most of the talking and asked very few questions. They told me about the pay and benefits in the 1st call. During the demo, everything went great, the manger was very pleased, took me for a tour, introduced me around to several members, asked me when I could start, when I could go to their training in Seattle, etc.... everything seemed like they wanted me badly... Except that they never called me back, never followed up and I had to send our weekly emails asking about the updates. It was a very good experience, though. I believe I had very strong competition and the Recruiter is just very busy.

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I went to a hiring event, it started with a quick talk to ensure there were no deal breakers, then an actual writing test, with pen and paper. A short meeting with technical questions about analytics and technical questions, a one on one with a support team member, a "prove you can do the work" technical whiteboard troubleshooting session, a meeting with the hiring manager and one with the VP. I thought it was a great interview process and I was very impressed with all the folks I interacted with. I felt like they wanted me to succeed.

Interview Questions

• This was a 4 hour interview with many, many questions. It's a very technical position supporting huge enterprise clients. Ensure you have experience/knowledge of analytics, client server topology/troubleshooting and customer service.   Answer Question

Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

In 2015 I was an internal referral from a top Tableau executive and I also came from a major competitor with unique technology and consulting experience. I was well-qualified for the role but I tried to establish confidence without being presumptuous or arrogant during the interview process. I was excited about the elegant product and the company culture, but I'd been disappointed twice in the past by Tableau's hiring etiquette: first, in 2006 when HR didn't return several phone calls, and again in 2012 when a different employee referred me and I went through a couple interviews that lead to a dead-end of silence from HR. (In 2012 the interview cycle was appearing to go well but Tableau HR went silent mid-way through my interview round, and didn't respond to my emails until I complained my internal referral contact. However, by that point, I was deflated by a few unprofessional snafus that had occurred during the interview cycle, such as the recruiter not sending the hiring manager a dashboard I'd spent a few hours building at HR's request, so I declined to pursue further interview as I felt the people involved were operating insincerely.) Fast forward to 2015 and I decided to try again with the referral of a different employee, this time a top executive. I spoke to HR again, and a week later they put me in touch with a different hiring manager than I'd interviewed with in 2012. I had a one hour interview with her that seemed to go well. Just like in 2012, I was again promised a battery of 4-5 interviews including a product demo interview. Two weeks went by and I heard nothing from her, so I emailed HR. They promised to follow-up with the hiring manager. Another week went by with no further reply from HR. I emailed HR a second time but did not receive a reply. It was precisely the same etiquette shown to me before: interview; then empty promise of more interviews; then HR disregarding further contact. It is hard to guess why they will spend their time and yours to host interviews (or have you spend time building dashboards) that seem to go well, but then they don't follow up on their promises or at least tell a candidate, "thanks, but no thanks." I would respect HR telling me they decided against me as a candidate, however, promising further interviews and then not replying to email or phone calls creates a negative impression of the company. I'd heard from two former colleagues that they both experienced similarly insincere interview processes. Candidates deserve to be treated more respectfully than this.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Tableau?   1 Answer

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA).

Interview

My resume was passed on to their HR department. After a short phone chat with the recruiter, I was scheduled for coffee with the hiring manager. Had a good chat with him and was asked to come in for half-day interview with various team members. Also got a homework assignment -- related to one of their products, I was asked to come up with some ideas and a rough UI prototype. It was suggested that I'd spend 2-4 hours on the homework. I estimate I spent a bit over four and was fairly satisfied with the results. The interview itself consisted of meeting 4 different pairs of people. First pair were from the engineering team. Next two groups were other UX and user research, then finally a meeting with the hiring manager and another UX manager. Everyone was very friendly and engaged in the interviews. I was thrown off a bit because absolutely no one mentioned the homework assignment. There was also very little discussion of my background and resume except with the hiring manager. All the other interviews were whiteboard design exercises. These were pretty abstract problems, not at all related to Tableau's software. All interviewers offered suggestions and asked questions as I walked through my process. I felt the interviews went ok, though not great because I had prepared for topics that never came up. After a delay, I eventually heard back from the recruiter that they decided not to make an offer. While everyone was nice, I was disappointed that after asking, I didn't hear when I requested feedback on the interview.

Interview Questions

• Design the interface for an application to manage a small car rental business   Answer Question

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tableau Software in April 2015.

Interview

I was asked to complete a Tableau workbook exercise and turn it in the following week. I have strong Tableau skills (and BI experience in general) and so turned it in the following day. I then was asked to interview with the hiring manager over the phone. It became very obvious during the interview that the pay would be a step down, but for me to get even close to a fair salary for the region and for my experience, I would need to have additional skills never advertised in the job posting. What frustrated me was they threw the requirement out there of knowing a particular programming language for the odd case of having to build an external capability for a potential client. I know other languages, and have built similar solutions, and assured them I could pick up the new language in a few weeks. But they didn't bite. I met most of the long laundry list of requirements, but never heard anything back from them. My impression is they were looking for an excuse to not hire me due to my salary requirement. More frustrating was that I had identified a role that was a better fit within the organization that was more senior, and the recruiter wouldn't push me for that role and never gave feedback at all on that route. Turns out the other role wasn't in her bucket of roles to worry about. It became clear to me that what they want for this particular role are cheap, new college grads with strong technical skills, who don't yet understand their own worth to be bossed around by sales guys who can't be bothered to master the product they are selling. Bottom line: I breezed through the initial technical, soft skill, and experience requirements, but they wouldn't put me in for the higher end of the salary spectrum for the role unless I had 100% of a laundry list of niche language and app skills (all of which could be picked up due to my experience with more mainstream language and development skills). Clearly their recruiting process is just as busted as their overall sales process. (YES, I work in the BI field and have been and will be a customer for Tableau and their competitors, and their sales department is just as disorganized and fragmented as their recruiting arm apparently). Love their product, saddened that their organization is such a drawback.

Interview Questions

• The workbook exercise was fun, and a great way to test knowledge and skill of the product. Did not get to the main interview with the Demo, but I'm confident I would have done well. I've been demoing BI work for awhile to clients.   1 Answer