Tableau Software Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2015

3.2

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Tableau Software (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I went to a hiring event, it started with a quick talk to ensure there were no deal breakers, then an actual writing test, with pen and paper. A short meeting with technical questions about analytics and technical questions, a one on one with a support team member, a "prove you can do the work" technical whiteboard troubleshooting session, a meeting with the hiring manager and one with the VP.

I thought it was a great interview process and I was very impressed with all the folks I interacted with. I felt like they wanted me to succeed.

Interview Questions

• This was a 4 hour interview with many, many questions. It's a very technical position supporting huge enterprise clients. Ensure you have experience/knowledge of analytics, client server topology/troubleshooting and customer service.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA).

Interview

My resume was passed on to their HR department. After a short phone chat with the recruiter, I was scheduled for coffee with the hiring manager. Had a good chat with him and was asked to come in for half-day interview with various team members. Also got a homework assignment -- related to one of their products, I was asked to come up with some ideas and a rough UI prototype. It was suggested that I'd spend 2-4 hours on the homework. I estimate I spent a bit over four and was fairly satisfied with the results.

The interview itself consisted of meeting 4 different pairs of people. First pair were from the engineering team. Next two groups were other UX and user research, then finally a meeting with the hiring manager and another UX manager. Everyone was very friendly and engaged in the interviews. I was thrown off a bit because absolutely no one mentioned the homework assignment. There was also very little discussion of my background and resume except with the hiring manager. All the other interviews were whiteboard design exercises. These were pretty abstract problems, not at all related to Tableau's software. All interviewers offered suggestions and asked questions as I walked through my process.

I felt the interviews went ok, though not great because I had prepared for topics that never came up. After a delay, I eventually heard back from the recruiter that they decided not to make an offer. While everyone was nice, I was disappointed that after asking, I didn't hear when I requested feedback on the interview.

Interview Questions

• Design the interface for an application to manage a small car rental business   Answer Question

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tableau Software in April 2015.

Interview

I was asked to complete a Tableau workbook exercise and turn it in the following week. I have strong Tableau skills (and BI experience in general) and so turned it in the following day. I then was asked to interview with the hiring manager over the phone. It became very obvious during the interview that the pay would be a step down, but for me to get even close to a fair salary for the region and for my experience, I would need to have additional skills never advertised in the job posting. What frustrated me was they threw the requirement out there of knowing a particular programming language for the odd case of having to build an external capability for a potential client. I know other languages, and have built similar solutions, and assured them I could pick up the new language in a few weeks. But they didn't bite. I met most of the long laundry list of requirements, but never heard anything back from them.
    My impression is they were looking for an excuse to not hire me due to my salary requirement.
    More frustrating was that I had identified a role that was a better fit within the organization that was more senior, and the recruiter wouldn't push me for that role and never gave feedback at all on that route. Turns out the other role wasn't in her bucket of roles to worry about.
    It became clear to me that what they want for this particular role are cheap, new college grads with strong technical skills, who don't yet understand their own worth to be bossed around by sales guys who can't be bothered to master the product they are selling.
    Bottom line: I breezed through the initial technical, soft skill, and experience requirements, but they wouldn't put me in for the higher end of the salary spectrum for the role unless I had 100% of a laundry list of niche language and app skills (all of which could be picked up due to my experience with more mainstream language and development skills). Clearly their recruiting process is just as busted as their overall sales process. (YES, I work in the BI field and have been and will be a customer for Tableau and their competitors, and their sales department is just as disorganized and fragmented as their recruiting arm apparently).
    Love their product, saddened that their organization is such a drawback.

Interview Questions

• The workbook exercise was fun, and a great way to test knowledge and skill of the product. Did not get to the main interview with the Demo, but I'm confident I would have done well. I've been demoing BI work for awhile to clients.   1 Answer

Strategic Sales Engineer Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Tableau Software (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied for the job on the Tableau website, but was referred internally by a previous co-worker. There was an in-depth interview with an HR executive that was more thorough that I would have expected (this was a good thing, in my opinion), and then I was scheduled for an hour directly with the hiring manager. The company was exceptionally friendly, and the passion for data visualization and helping their customers is clear.

Note that Glassdoor makes you pick a city for the interview, but the job was a field job covering a territory, and was considered a remote worker.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a customer interaction that didn't go so well. Said another way, what was one of your failures?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Test Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tableau Software (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Initial phone call with HR ( resume, background,skills etc)
    First interview was with the Senior software engineer , He asked me an average programming question and we discussed the algorithm's complexity and other optimizations. I was also asked to come up with test cases.
    This interview went well and after that I got an invite for an onsite interview.

The onsite interview was very well organized. I met with recruiter Laura here and she walked me through the whole process.
    There were 3 interviews in total.
    The first interview had 3 engineers come in ( one of them was based out of Seattle, so his part of virtual). I was asked to do white boarding on BST ( traversals) etc
    The second interview was about system design. It was pretty hard and I had to come up with various approaches for efficient system design.
    The last interview was more informal with the product testing manager. He was friendly and asked me relatively non-technical questions ( mostly on my background).

Finally , met with the HR at the end of the day and she said they will get back.

Its more than 2 weeks and I haven't heard from the HR.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Had 5 hour interview for the position and heard about 9 hours for other positions. Typically meet with two people in a particular group for 45-60 minutes and answer questions specific to your approach for program/project management from a business and software development perspective.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tableau Software (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn to apply for a job. I was reluctant since I already had a good job, I agreed to a phone call. I had a phone call and after that call, I was set up for another. The call that was set up was rescheduled twice as the person who was supposed to call me didn't TWICE, so I had to take time out of my work day three times to ensure that I could be away from my current employment to take the call.
    I finally made contact and I was told that I sounded great but the position I was contacted for was already filled and they felt I would be the perrrfffeccttt fit for another position Non C-Level. (which I was not too happy about), I again agreed to another phone interview for that position, I then agreed to yet another phone interview with another person and then I agreed to come in for the in person interview anyways. (So right now I have taken over 6 hours out of my regular work schedule to accommodate all the interviews) The interview was short but went well, the person I met with wanted me to have phone calls with more people so that was set up. I had two more phone interviews.

I received the offer. The compensation and benefit package was very nice, less than what I was used to but nice.

Unfortunately items that were agreed to on Tableau's end were not able to be met, a lot of miscommunication and mismanagement of the offer.

I had to decline the job.

I was greatly disheartened by the whole experience. I felt like starting out like this was a very bad sign.

I know that I would've nailed this position in my sleep, I gave more than my all in the interview process, I spent time and money to insure that I would be the best employee, and the "miscommunication" was not my fault.

Interview Questions

• Could I work with a difficult personality? This was asked multiple times.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate. I worked with the recruiter to try to handle a miscommunication in the offer and this may have been the problem.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Tableau Software.

Interview

The process and questions are pretty typical as with many other software companies (1 phone interview + 4 on-site interviews).
    Questions were actually not difficult (select top frequent words, tweaked questions on binary (search) trees, etc.) when compared with the Google or FB interviews.

My main problem was that the recruiter matched me to the wrong team. At the onsite interview, we found out the mismatch after just first few sentences. What the team members said about their job's responsibilities are different from what I heard from my recruiter. The team was looking for some specific skills (low-level infrastructure coding, etc.) while I expected some "general" interviews.

We decided to process the interviews anyway as scheduled but it's kinda very boring and not engaging at all when we pretty much decided "not a good fit". Maybe, because of that, questions I received were pretty straight forward and simple from the first to the last guys.

Yes, they are like mini-Microsoft company with all people I met were ex-Microsoft and the culture is very heavy PM-oriented. They tried to sell that they were very cool and enthusiastic but I didn’t feel that at all.

Receive "Thank you for your time" as expected.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Tableau Software.

Interview

I was first sent an e-mail about my candidacy for an intern position over the summer, and scheduled a quick phone interview to learn more about the internship program, talk about which roles would interest me, if I would be willing to work in Seattle, etc.

About a week later, I had a 45-minute coding interview over the phone, which was somewhat algorithmically interesting yet fairly straightforward. The problem was to write a function to remove the elements in an array that appear more than once. Later that day, I got an e-mail telling me that the feedback was positive and that they would a final round interview consisting of two 45-minute coding interviews and a short conversation with a hiring manager. I decided to do the interview onsite, as this was an option.

The onsite interview was a bit disorganized because the company had just moved into a new space.

The first 45-minute interview involved tackling the problem of finding the top 1000 most frequent words in a file, better than O(nlogn) complexity. I gave various solutions that were of O(nlogn) complexity, then tried using min/max heaps and was also asked to explain Quicksort, Mergesort and analyze their complexities (explain why they are nlogn, not just from rote memory).

The second 45-minute interview involved developing and coding an efficient algorithm to find the "just less than" number in an unbalanced binary tree -- i.e. the largest number in the tree that was less than some target number. This was fairly straightforward.

Both interviewers were very nice. Then, I spoke to the hiring manager who answered some of my questions. I got an e-mail the next day saying they were moving on with stronger candidates.

Interview Questions

• Find the top 1000 most frequent words in a text file, with better than O(nlogn) complexity, tree traversal problem.   2 Answers

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashburn, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tableau Software (Ashburn, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

4-6 phone interviews then one webex demo of the Tableau Desktop with 5-6 people attending the WebEx pretending to be a customer. It lasted 45-50 minutes with curve ball technical questions.

Interview Questions

• BI experience - industry experience - who do you know at Tableau   Answer Question

Negotiation

They have a salary range but do not deviate from that - find the range and see if you can get the highest based on experience. They are big into using LinkedIn to back channel you with others execs you have worked with or for so maintain good relationships always!!!