Tableau Software

Updated Aug 7, 2014
Updated Aug 7, 2014

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tableau Software in July 2014.

I was referred by a current employee. I submitted my resume through Tableau's website and heard back from a recruiter pretty quick. My first task was to complete a take home assignment that demonstrated my ability to create 'views' in Tableau Desktop. After I received feedback from that I was invited to come onsite to interview with a couple managers and product consultants. I spoke with 4 people for about a half hour each, and in total spent between 3-4 hours onsite-including talking with the recruiters, and getting a tour. None of the questions were too hard, it was mostly behavioral and conversational. If the interview goes well the last step is to do a product demonstration. I couldn't meet onsite again so I did it by via web conference. This was by far the most intensive part. You really have to study the product because they will try to stump you with questions as you present your demo.

The process was a little segmented, but it is very thorough and it is a good way to prove to both yourself and the company that this is a product/company you are excited about. The recruiters are very helpful and approachable and will give plenty of tips and pointers along the way.

Interview Questions
  • -Explain this to someone who isn't technical. (in regards to a feature/capability in Tableau Desktop during the demo)   Answer Question
none

Other Interview Reviews for Tableau Software

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tableau Software in November 2013.

Interview through the open session interviews. I spent 3 hours doing mini interviews with different members of the team with scenarios such as "What would you say to this client" or "Sell me this item". Overall it was quite smooth and everyone was great to work with. At the end, they invited me to prepare a demo for the following week.

During the product demo, they want to see your use of Tableau and less the who presentation you have prepared. But mind this, definitely prepare a full presentation as if it was a product demo to a potential customer. Also, USE YOUR OWN DATA. I don't care where it comes from, but they have seen the sample data so much they could walk you through it in your sleep. Be fun and original.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me this pen. You have fifteen minutes. Go.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Tableau Software in November 2013.

I had prepared for this interview since graduating from the UW. I had everything down and was very prepared. In the initial interview process, I met with 7 different people from recruiters to sales team members and it took ~4.5 hours, longer than the 3 hours they said it would take. Longer than expected but I suppose it was a good thing. I was given an offer to come back and give a sales demonstration to see my sales skills and technical aptitude. Overall my demo went well but I gave a presentation that was too technical/advanced and added less value to the product. The following Monday I got a call telling me they would go to offer with other candidates letting me know my demo was not what they wanted. Again on Tuesday the same thing happened from an entirely different recruiter, but in addition to the standard script I was told they would keep my file in their system.

I ran into the hiring manger who sat in on my demonstration the following Friday and he did not know that I didnt get an offer. I have since ran into 4 other product consultants who sat in on my demonstration and they were all confused that I did not get an offer. Needless to say, I'm more confused than I was leaving the demo, and am very very disappointed by the lack of communication between hiring parties and entirely confused about the hiring process. Overall the draw for tableau culture seems to be the biggest thing about their expansion in the last 6 months. However I believe they are hiring very fast at the expense of organization and quality experience.

TL;DR Got denied for the same position twice by two different people on different days, and the hiring manager didnt know I didnt get an offer. Not a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me a pen for my construction company that goes through far too much ink and breaks pens all the time.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tableau Software.

I applied online by submitting my resume and cover letter. About a week later then I was accepted to interview using a web cam. The web cam interview process asked several questions, but most of the questions related to technical knowledge and background. I believe I was not selected for further interviews because my technical background in databases is not extensive enough.

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect being asked about knowledge of databases.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tableau Software in February 2012.

The interview started out with a recorded answering session. I had to record videos for 5 questions on a website. I got a call from the recruiter the same day for a initial phone interview. She explained to me the job requirements and asked me why I was interested. Next I had to do an example for the company to review to see how well I can learn a new product. She called me the next day and scheduled an on-site interview. This company takes the interview very seriously. The on-site interview was 4 hours, involving everyone from the future peers to manager to VP of the division. They really respect their candidates compared to many other tech companies in Seattle area.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tableau Software in September 2011.

Went to a Tableau Software Open house and mixer and talked to the lead product consultant. They seemed hungry for people and we set up two phone screens: an interview with the HR recruiter and a senior product consultant. Both interviews were pretty easy, and there were no special/trick questions. After that I was given a test answering questions using their software. The test involved some table joins and trend analysis--and the how-to's were all online in their tutorial section. I feel I answered the questions correctly, but it's been two weeks now and I haven't heard from them. I know they were hiring for a position that wasn't open yet so maybe they got distracted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tableau Software in May 2010.

I had a phone interview with the HR lady. It was pretty quick, and they e-mailed me some questions. I downloaded their program, played around with it, and answered the questions. They then scheduled an in-person interview at a coffee shop near the office. At this interview, I had to present my answers to them. Afteward, the HR lady called me again for a second interview. She even was nice enough to give me some feedback too. I tried to improve for that next interview, where they sat me down in a room with a laptop and had me answer some technical questions (about HTML, TCP protocol, etc). I didn't have that much knowledge, so I tried my best. In the end I think I waited about a week before getting a call to say I hadn't been selected. I was disappointed, but it was a good experience.

Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tableau Software in June 2014.

1) Phone screen by HR
    2)Phone interview by hiring manager
    3)Demo in front of a panel (showcasing Tableau features by using sample data) + technical interview (mostly SQL and "how will u use this data" type questions)

A week after the demo they called to tell me that while they were impressed by my technical knowledge, they felt that I did not showcase the USP of the product-i.e. how easy it is to use Tableau. They called me for a second round of demo and told me to keep things simple this time but stress more on handholding the client (it was a role play) through the process. At the end, the HR told me she'll let me know in a week. I let her know that I have another job offer, and because they were waiting for a decision, could Tableau please let me know sooner? I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me questions like...how can I use Tableau to improve the bottomline of the company(using the demo)   Answer Question

Product Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Tableau Software.

The interview process was long and most of the time was spent waiting for the company to get back to me. By the time they finally scheduled an interview, I already had offers from other companies