Tagged Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

3.2

Associate Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Tagged (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Step 1: Phone interview with HR, Step 2: Phone Interview with Potential Manager, Step 3: In person, on-site interview with team members

Interview Questions

• Is it better to have the right answer to the wrong problem, or the wrong answer to the right problem?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was hired as a contractor, there was not a lot of negotiation.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Tagged (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a HR for background check, phone interview with the same HR person, phone interview with the Engineering manager, coding two exercises given before the on-site interview, the on-site interview which took about 4 hours with 5 engineers. It was very professional and "no-bullshit" from end to end. All the parties participating were well prepared. Not easy though.

Interview Questions

• The one that I haven't had good explanation was about "Lockless resource sharing among different threads"?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pretty standard I guess. We agreed in the middle like proper gents :)

Tagged Response

Jul 23, 2014 – Sr. Executive Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback, glad you had a great interview experience. Welcome aboard! Hope you will have a wonderful time here at Tagged!

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Tagged (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Submitted application online and was emailed for an interview. Two 20 minute interviews with different team members in the department

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Tagged (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online and got an email requesting an initial conversation with the HR the next day. The entire process took 4 days from the HR screening and a phone round with the hiring manager to the visit on-site - one of the best interview processes I've had during my 4 years as a professional. HR round:- discussion about the educational background and work experience related to statistics and data analysis along with the kind of tools used. She gave a detailed view of what the company is doing along with the growth prospects and was extremely helpful throughout. Phone round with hiring manager:- questions on a/b testing, statistics, and a brain teaser to check analytical/quant thinking. Again, a very pleasant, easy-going conversation. On-site interviews:- met with 5 people for half a day of conversations. Questions on R, SQL, Python, a little bit of statistics and a/b testing. Overall a great experience as it's obvious that they enjoy their work and are passionate about the product. Best part:- they had a vision for the role and want people to learn along with the team. In my case they were willing to take a shot with someone who doesn't have a background in social media.

Interview Questions

Visa/family situation made me choose a lesser offer with a 100 year old firm.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Tagged (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

The process included: 1HR screener with Design Lead, 1Phone Interview with Hiring Sr. PM, 1 onsite round with 1PM peer, 2 Sr. PMs, Product VP, and Mobile Eng Lead. Most of the interview revolved around process (what is your sprint cycle and planning process like at your current firm). Very little probing into what you could do better in their product because their flagship product is going through a major re-design. The team seems to have much new energy through the acquisition of PMs from the decaying MySpace property. The strategy of the company is not well-defined - a Facebook for the Urban demographic. The firm does not focus as much about the end user experience (the fact that there are too many fake users on the platform) and find technology to fix it. The perspective is more about polish and seems to be focused on the wrong key metrics. There is minimal AB testing so any candidate should bring up their experience in this area. There also seems to be a disconnect with the current CEO and leadership team - pet projects from the exec team vs polish on the cash cow.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had difficulty working with an engineering lead and what did you do to resolve that?   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Tagged (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

One phone call from HR to screen basic experience and collect information such as salary expectations, followed by one phone call from hiring manager, then 2 onsite interviews. - Phone calls were pretty straightforward, just checking info from resume, and making sure I was in the ballpark. - Two rounds of onsite meetings (within a few days, quickly after the phone screens), with 3-4 people each time. Everybody was really nice, on time, curious, friendly and open-minded. It was no trick interviews, more like a conversation around the role, the company, and what I could offer based on my past experience. I met with the hiring manager's boss, his peers, and people in the same team as the position from various roles.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer had prepared questions ahead of time, based on my resume. Nothing really difficult, questions more like "strengths & weaknesses", "describe a situation where ..."   Answer Question

I received an offer a few days after the second onsite interviews. Prior to this, I was asked to provide details about my previous compensation, which I did (base + bonus + stocks). The offer I then received was absolutely not on par with the role described. First, it changed from "Senior Project Manager" to simply "Project Manager" and the offer was well below the salary range discussed initially (compensation package was well below previous compensation). Since I had 2 other, much more competitive, offers from other companies, I did not pursue this opportunity.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Tagged (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Submitted Resume thru College Career Website. Received an email to interview over the phone. A week later I spoke with an HR greeter, then was handed off to a developer for a technical interview. It consisted of 2 logic problems and a "whats the most efficient way to code this, problem.

Interview Questions

• If you have a 7 minute hour glass and a 11 minute hour glass how do you measure exactly 15 minutes   5 Answers

Negotiation

It wasn't so much a negotiation, but they were extremely flexible

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Tagged (San Francisco, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews. The first consisted of technical questions on general Linux administration which were quite easy. Based on the job description I was expecting more difficult questions, so I feel I did just fine on these. We also discussed the work environment, benefits, company growth and so on. The interviewer gave the impression of a great place to work and was easy to talk to. He scheduled another phone interview with a manager 3 days later. The second phone interview was a different story. After a couple throwaway textbook questions like, what would be your ideal job, what do you want to do in 5 years, he asked two of the dumbest questions I've ever encountered-- What is the Internet? What is a server? OK, so I have 15 years sysadmin experience. Why would anyone ask broad, meaningless questions like this? I was thinking how dubious it sounded but I usually trust that people are asking sincere questions so I proceed to answer honestly, describing the various components that make up the Internet, the services, features, IP network, IP routing, etc. Then the same for the server question, describing the hardware, software, services, i/o, etc. Throughout this he remained silent, giving no feedback, barely any dialogue. It felt very one-sided and awkward. Then suddenly he said, OK that's all I have for now, bye! Yeah, what a jerk. It's as if he just wanted to make me squirm rather than have an honest conversation about specific, relevant topics.

Interview Questions

• What is the Internet?   1 Answer
    • What is a server?   1 Answer
    • How do you get a list of users on a Linux system?   1 Answer
    • How do you show your current directory in Linux?   1 Answer
    • How do you set the permissions of a file so the owner has read/write and all others have read-only access?   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Tagged (San Francisco, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen with basic questions. After this I had another interview to cover personality and then i met with a senior software engineer for a technical interview. Finally I met with the engineering director to discuss with him about what I would do at Tagged. The phone screen wasn't too difficult. There was alot of basic questions such as the "fuzz buzz" question. During the technical interview I was asked to right a piece of code that would compliment some technologies at Tagged. I presented it during the technical interview then i was asked other more difficult questions. Overall the interviewers seemed highly intelligent, motivated.

Interview Questions

• "Fuzz Buzz" Question   Answer Question
    • CAP, would you sacrifice consistency, availability or partition tolerance when building a scalable database.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate. They're a very friendly bunch. I told them what other offers I had and they offered to beat it!

Analytics/Reporting Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Tagged (San Francisco, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Phone interviews went very well but were brief and not very detailed from a technical perspective. Company arranged for and provided travel to the on-site interview. Was advised to arrive early and fill out paperwork so the interview could start on time, which I did, and then had to wait 15 minutes after the scheduled start time because the first interviewer wasn't in the office. The replacement interviewer wasn't well-prepared, which I was willing to overlook given the circumstances, and had a tough time explaining some of the interview questions. There were multiple options for this segment but were all basically statistical or engineering "how-to" type problems. The second interviewer was a project manager and mostly discussed my current company role rather than the role being applied for, but was talkative and personable. There was a break provided for lunch on-site and a brief facilities tour, plus some idle chitchat with other workers in the cafeteria. Last interview was more problem solving and statistical questions, after which the recruiter advised they would be looking at other candidates. Last interviewer was quite standoffish. Very quiet work environment, mostly software engineers. CS may also be in the same area although I wasn't introduced to anyone. Company seems to be expanding quickly as much of the building was being built out while I was there. Definitely got the feeling they were looking for far more out of this position than was requested by the posting as the questions being posed by most parties were well beyond what the phone interviews had implied. This may be normal for startups though, as it was my first interview with one.

Interview Questions

• Given a 100 story building and 2 eggs which you know will break at the same floor every time when dropped, find the exact floor where the eggs will break.   2 Answers