TakeLessons

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Teacher Interview

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TakeLessons.

Interview Details – Fill out an online form - have two phone interviews, pass a background check. Easy (although not really thorough). The whole interview questions were pretty standard for teaching, but there was no talk of having to submit a video of you teaching or an inperson demonstration. I have been teaching for 10+ years and found it odd that a telemarketing company based in San Diego wouldnt require any sort of quality control when it comes to the ability of instructors.

Interview Question – Having to pay for your own background check. They are also really big on wanting your financial info before agreeing to a salary   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Music Teacher, Private Instruction Interview

Music Teacher, Private Instruction

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at TakeLessons.

Interview Details – Extensive questionnaire online. Follow up emails. Unprofessional attitudes from recruiter, lack of respect, addressing candidates on a first name basis. Run by young cocky 20's/30's kids. Sends emails immediately to references asking them to also fill out an equally extensive questionnaire about you: the applicant.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions. Standard questions for teaching private music lessons.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Outrageously low rate of pay for education and experience. Basically, they are taking almost half of the fee they collect for doing very little as a middleman. Unprofessional behaviour from their personnel.

Very Easy Interview

Guitar Instructor Interview

Guitar Instructor

The process took 3 days - interviewed at TakeLessons in January 2011.

Interview Details – TakeLessons.com constantly posts openings for music instructors, on Craigslist. I applied with everything they had asked for: a sketch of your curriculum, books/materials you use, how you might handle this or that situation. I honestly can't remember if there was a personality test involved. References sent. Agree to a background check.

Anyway, about a week after I applied I got an email from someone. Mostly just to confirm who I was. Then the next day was a phone interview, partially to confirm that they are talking to the right person. How you teach: philosophy, experience, etc. Blah blah blah.

I was hired the day after. It seems like they will hire just about any musician interested in teaching who has passed a background check.

Interview Question – Do you have reliable transportation?   Answer Question

Guitar Instructor Interview

Guitar Instructor

The process took a day - interviewed at TakeLessons in July 2010.

Interview Details – First you apply online. Then you they send e-mails to your references who have 3 days to fill them out and return then (really dumb idea because it takes people 3 days to even get to them or figure them out). Then they decide whether to interview you. Then they decide whether they want to offer you a position. Then there is orientation and they throw you straight into the fire.

Interview Question – They ask a lot about experience in specific teaching positions and ask about what you would do in situations. Your strengths and weaknesses, etc...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – About half way through my employment they wanted to cut my pay and I was able to negotiate a small raise out of them

Customer Support Manager Interview

Customer Support Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TakeLessons in July 2010.

Interview Details – First you'll do a phone interview with the hiring manager. They will ask you if you're still looking. WHY you're still looking. Why are you appyling to TL.
In person interview consists of 2 sets of 2 interviewers. The first will ask you about your work history and skill set. the second will ask you about your personality, interests. The interview is where they pour the first cup of Kool-Aid. Be very energetic, profess your life long love of music,and nod a lot and smile when they discuss their culture. They eat this up.

Interview Question – Have you ever been asked to take on added responsibility?   Answer Question

Worked for TakeLessons? Contribute to the Community!