Tapjoy

Updated Oct 2, 2014

2.5

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tapjoy.

Contacted over LinkedIn by Armada, great communication from them throughout. Had an initial phone screening which was pretty basic with slight technical questions, nothing to detailed. Was invited for an on-site shortly after. The on-site was half-day with a couple different groups of folks, ending with a "white-board talk" I lead for 25 minutes with Q & A. Overall pretty standard interview questions, some fun ones mixed in. Great people, friendly and professional, everyone was very open about the solutions to problems. Was contacted shortly after with positive feedback and a follow up phone discussion. Overall a great interview experience!

Interview Questions
    • Something like "Provide an example of something in technology you believe, follow or adhere to that generally people would disagree with"   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Tapjoy in September 2014.

I didn't really get that far. While I was waiting for the recruiter's, or senior manager's, response after addressing my interest and interview date availability for a phone interview, it took him four days to reply and tell me to come stop by the office right after I took a trip to the city Tapjoy was headquartered in. I was already taking the Caltrain back to the South Bay when he sent me the e-mail. and I don't even think he read my resume to know that I live in the South Bay. I told him that I would not be able to "stop by" since I would be working all week. I then ask for a phone interview like we were supposed to have when a date was never set in the initial responses.

The next day, we have the phone interview, and he apologizes for the delay in responding back to me and such. Okay. Then I undergo a long silence with him. Wasn't he supposed to begin the interview since he's interviewing me? I then ask him questions about the company since the silence was getting awkward. Then he tells me more about the company. Then some more silence. Then I ask more questions, and then he starts asking me the interview questions, like "Tell me a little bit about yourself" and "What interests you about the role" kind of questions that really made me think he was uninterested and unprepared for this interview.

Finally, his other phone rings and he asks if I could hold on so he can take this other call. I've been through enough interviews to know that it's pretty unprofessional to divide your attention from a candidate to provide the the other portion to a call, checking your phone/clock or associate. He finally gets back and asks me another question and if I had any other questions. I did.

During the weekend, he apologizes again in an e-mail and tells me that I didn't get the offer. So that's the process I went through at Tapjoy. I don't feel like I received the attention I needed to fully describe the talent that I could provide for the company.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Tapjoy in June 2014.

Recruiter messaged me via LinkedIn. I took time off from work to come into the office for a series of in-person interviews. A month has elapsed, and to date, I have received no response.

If someone takes the time to come into the office an interview, there should be some sort of follow-up. I'm not seeking detailed feedback. Obviously, I didn't get the job, but out of courtesy, any form of closure would have appreciated--even an automated rejection. Show some class.

Interview Questions
    • Fairly standard interview. Everyone has their own questions/problems. Nothing especially difficult/unexpected stood out.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tapjoy in January 2014.

I had an initial phone screen with the manager of sales which went really well. Basic questions about my background, what I knew about Tapjoy, etc. He then set up a call with the newest member of the sales team at the SF office so I get could a good feel on what the day-to-day was like, etc.

My next step was to speak with their Director of Sales (based in their Santa Barbara office) for an in-person meeting while she was in town. I showed up at the Tapjoy office and the lady was not even there! She was "still at lunch" at 3pm so I was little upset with that. I met with 2 managers and all asked very basic questions that had been asked in the initial phone screen. I was there for about an hour and left feeling confident. That was almost two months ago and I have not heard back since. I sent thank you emails as well as two follow-ups. Nothing.

Interview Questions
    • What does Tapjoy do (seems basic but it is a fairly complicated idea for someone not involved in tech).   Answer Question

Sale Support Interview

Overall the interview process was what would typically expect. However hiring manager could go rogue and not follow the standard procedure. This could be confusing and not properly set expectations. Perhaps this is an isolated case because the recent reorg, new hires, and having multiple employees leaving around the same time.

Not optimistic about the company especially with all the changes, poor communication and bad product reviews.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Tapjoy in October 2013.

Phone call for screening purposes followed by onsite interviews.

Spoke with 2 Architect's and 1 management person from Boston using laggy / patchy video conference. The 2 Architects engaged in a conversation about using version strings etc in REST URL's, and OAuth 2. Surprisingly they had not heard of CARP, CAP, or of the 'OAuth 2.0 road to hell' so as one might expect these conversations were a lost cause. Other companies I interviewed with were all over this and understood it, possibly because they had been though a scale crises at least once.

San Francisco people were very nice, appeared confident, and competent. I got no really technical questions so cannot speak to how a deep technical / coding interview would go there. Their priority seems to be finding very real people that can stick through what ever it is they expect will happen. They come across as people you could really trust in a tight spot.

Interview Questions
    • I had to give a 40 minute open talk which was a surprise.   View Answer

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Tapjoy.

Phone screening went well, followed by an all-day interview with several employees. The interviewers were hit or miss; my experience was much better with the higher-level people than with the lower-level technical people. Many interviewers were unprofessional and complained A LOT about the company: design decisions made by predecessors, recent layoffs, changes in management. They also complained about loss of free lunch and other frivolous things, which made them come across as spoiled brats. In addition, many people tried hard to persuade me that this company wasn't going down the tubes- which had the opposite effect. Overall, employees (esp. junior) gave off a sense of desperation. Working environment was very casual/playful, which makes one have to ask: do these people do any actual work?!

Interview Questions
    • Questions were fairly straightforward technical questions.   Answer Question

Yield Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Tapjoy in January 2013.

In a nutshell, an efficient hiring process with NO decision heard so far.
    Applied Online.
    One month later, contacted by a recruiter.
    One week later, phone interviewed with hiring manager.
    Two weeks later, on-site interview with analytic, engineering and marketing team.
    It has been 3 MONTHS since then! Recent updates from recruiter 1 MONTH ago said feedback is good and you are still being considered...
    Fortunately, I've got better offer to consider.

Interview Questions
    • Given mean value of click-through rate of 1,000 visits, calculate the variance of click-through rate of 10,000 visits.   View Answer

Marketing Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tapjoy.

Heard about an opening through company contacts / back channel. Emailed them my cover letter and resume. Was assured I'd hear from a recruiter within a few days, which turned into a few weeks.

Had a short phone screen with the recruiter during which I determined Tapjoy wasn't a fit, based on the cultural history and direction as shared by the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected part of the interview was the lack of interesting or probing questions. The recruiter talked ~80% of the time.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Applied online but also had internal contact. Phone screen with recruiter and hiring manager. Brought onsite and met with 4 members of the team including the CMO. My sense is that the team is in a chaotic state at present -- recently hired new team members and there were departures of older team members under strained circumstances. One of my interviewers hinted at some politics that needed to get sorted out. Different team members detailed very different needs of the team which made me sense tension/misalignments. Recruiter, who had been very nice and helpful throughout the process, never got back to me.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing that stands out. You should know something about the online/mobile advertising model   Answer Question