Target

Updated Nov 21, 2014

2.2

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Backroom Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target.

*This will probably be the most thorough interview experience you will find on here for the Backroom position.*

I received a call four days prior to submitting my online application. The man on the phone from Target was very nice; all in all I was only on the phone for about 5 minutes. He asked why I wanted to work at Target, discussed my availability, went over the pay, and asked if I could come in for an in-store interview the very next day.

I showed up 15 minutes early, went to costumer service, and told them I was there for an interview. The lady at costumer service knew my interview time and asked for my name. After that, she told me to sit on a bench till the person interviewing me came out.

I sat there for almost 10 minutes until someone showed up. The kind lady took me into the office area and thoroughly explained the job I applied for, then began with the interview. She made sure I was up to speed with everything and asked if I had any questions. Hearing how long she has worked at Target was actually inspiring and it was nice to know she could potentially be one of my bosses. That interview lasted about 10 minutes.

I was then directed back out to costumer service to do an assessment. After finishing the assessment, a man walked out to take me back into the office area to watch a video about working at Target. That took less than 5 minutes.

My second interview followed soon after the video, and it was very similar to the first one, containing similar questions and the same description about the job I applied for. At the end of the second interview, the man offered me the job. I happily accepted.

The third and final interview was very quick, it was pretty much going over the job offer information and the whole process of doing a drug test. This was my first interview for a retail store so I was surprised how down to earth everyone was.

Interview Questions
Scheduling is very negotiable. I was surprised how flexible they can be with you.

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Backroom Team Member Interview

interviewed at Target in November 2014.

I began the process by completing an online application. I was contacted within two hours and asked to meet at target the next day for an early interview. Upon arrival I was asked to sit at a bench and waited about 5-10 minutes. I was then lead through a hall to an interview room in the human resources department. The interviewers were pretty down to earth and friendly.

I was first interviewed by the team leader who would be leading my shift. I was asked to explain a time when I showed leadership and a time when I was able to fix a mistake. He then asked me to explain my strengths that related to the position, and why I wanted to work at target. After, he explained some details about the position and asked if I would be able to perform all of the required duties. I was then told to stay seated and wait for an interview with a manager.

When the manager arrived a few minutes later He talked about more details and specifics about the position. The first thing he asked me to do was to tell him about myself. He then asked me explain a couple more "time when You" questions, such as a time when I worked above expectation and dealt with an angry customer. He also asked me about any weaknesses that I might have, or what I consider to be my biggest weakness. He also asked a couple situational questions. One example being "what would you do if a customer complained because they thought a product was $17 but rang up as $19? The Answer pretty much being to let them have it at $17 because $2 isn't worth an unhappy customer and that they are always right. He brought me to the human resources desk and asked if I would be able to take a urine test at a clinic within 24 hours of the job offer.

After that interview I was escorted to a different room where I talked with another target employee. She talked about salary and hours and eventually offered me the position. She said the process would be complete once I passed both the urine test and a background check.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macomb, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macomb, MI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target.

Originally went for an overnight remodel job but my specific area was backroom. They have you set up an appointment, and then come in early to answer a survey on their computers. The survey was easy, as long as you know some basic math skills and know that companies want people who act a certain way. The interview itself was essentially a Team Lead sitting down with you and discussing your past experiences and asking about what you can do for target. They're usually looking for flexibility and it pays off to know Target's lingo or to adapt to it as you hear it being said (if you know them, use them).

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a guest asking to find a specific item in the store?   View Answer
    There wasn't much negotiation, since they offer the same thing to everyone in the position. I was able to get some extra hours and training by taking interest in it when it was discussed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Target in July 2014.

3 days after i applied, they called and did the phone interview. then they set up face to face interview the next day. it was a less than an hour they interview me then they called the team leader to see if there is availability. i was irritated because they wasted my time interviewing and end up telling me there is no available and they just hired someone else few days ago.

Interview Questions
    • easy questions such as why you want to work at target, experiences related.   Answer Question

Backroom Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Target in July 2014.

Called me the next day and asked why I applied to that specific job. Got an email shortly after stating that I did not get the job. Maybe if I keep trying I will eventually get hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cypress, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cypress, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in June 2014.

Well the guy who interviewed me was very unprofessional. He answered the phone twice in the beginning of the interview, and then he rarely made eye contact. I handed him my resume and he did not look at it. He asked me questions about what I would do was a cashier and the customers told me the price of an item is completely wrong. I never thought I would get a question like this since I was applying for a backroom member. caught me by surprise.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if customer states the item that you just rang up is wrong?   Answer Question

Backroom Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Target.

The interview process was extremely easy and barely any questions. They know if they are going to hire you when they call you back assuming you don't say anything horrible. The entire process took only 10 minutes.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Backroom Team Member Interview

Sent in an application online, then went to store for pre-employment assessment and interview. Interview was pretty straightforward, questions included "Why did you apply to this job", "Name a time you have been a leader", etc.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary, it was pretty straightforward   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashua, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashua, NH

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in August 2013.

I applied online and a few days later received a call from HR to schedule a phone interview for the next day. I received the call within 15 minutes of the designated time and was asked, "why Target" "what experience do you have that makes you believe you're qualified for this position" and a few situational questions, like "describe a time when..." Within 10 minutes of hanging up I was called again by HR to schedule an in person interview 2 days later. I went in for my interview about 15 min early, checked in and waited in the breakroom. After 20 min I was hreeted by the interviewer, brought into a conference room. He started by asking about my availability and why I wanted to work there. After that I watched a short 2-3min video explaining the basics of the job I was applying for, and I was asked If I was still interested in the job, which I replied yes. I was then asked 3 more situational questions, and then he asked If I had any questions. I asked him what It was like working there? And how should I follow up on this interview? He then told me he was going to offer me a conditional job offer, I would have to fill out the appropriate paperwork and take a drug test within 24hrs or the offer would be voided. Was brought back to HR to pick up paperwork, and stopped to do the drug test on my way home. Overall a very simple, nice process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Target in August 2013.

I was asked why do I seek employment with Target. I was asked what retail experience do I possess? Since deliveries at the Dublin East come in on M-W-F&Sat, I was asked if I would be available on those days and would be able to start at 4am. And lastly, I was asked if I worked with a sense of urgency?

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what would I do if a customer asked me to help reach a product that would take me away from taking meticulous inventory, thus losing count and setting me back 15 minutes.   View Answer
    No Negotiation available. An offer was given and I accepted.