Target Backroom Team Member Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target (San Jose, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Called me on the phone and asked me the soonest I could come in. I asked them to give me an hour. Came in early and they interviewed me almost exactly on time. The initial interviewer was the Team Leader for HR and incredibly friendly, after completing that interview I waited for about 10 minutes before interviewing with a man in charge of the department I would be in. He was also friendly, even complimented me. Partway through he said he was going to bring me on, he just wanted to gauge certain things.

Interview Questions

• If we talked to a former employer or teacher, what would they say is your best quality?   Answer Question
  • If we talked to a former employer or teacher, what would they say is your biggest area of improvement.   Answer Question
  • Name a scenario in which you were interrupted while performing a task, how you dealt with the situation and then how did you complete the task?   Answer Question
  • What was a scenario in which you had to get help from someone who knew more than you?   Answer Question
  • How do you get along with a person who you disagree with?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Backroom Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target.

Interview

I arrived 10 minutes early and was directed to fill out an applicant questionnaire. Afterwards, I waited for 10 minutes for someone to come out and bring me to an office. I interviewed with 2 people, a team leader first then the store manager. Both were very friendly and relaxed. They followed along a sheet and asked situational based questions. Not too hard, it was definitely good that I had prepared beforehand though, just so I didn't freeze up. They also asked about my availability, they seemed pleased that I was flexible and able to work weekends. Afterwards they invited me onto the team and had someone from HR fill out paperwork with me.
    The interview is not hard at all, as long as you're prepared for the questions and have a positive attitude, you'll most likely get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you exceeded someone's expectations   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you were interrupted while working on something   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time that you had to stand up for yourself   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating, you either accept the wage or decline it. In my case its $9.50/hr.

Backroom Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

Interview was fairly easy. Talked to three different people that asked me similar questions in regards to the position. Watched a video about the company and the position itself. A lot of situation questions, basically how I handled difficult situations or people. Asked me questions about myself and my availability. Pay rate was 9.25 per hr.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Cloud, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target (Saint Cloud, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Had a phone screening then an in person interview. The questions were fairly easy if you have job experience already. They mainly want to know how you think, whether you have experience with troubleshooting, how you would handle a difficult situation aka a customer who might be giving you trouble. They want to make sure you're loyal and will likely stay on long term. An important thing to note with Target is they ask situational questions but they're more interested in how you think. Make sure to be coherent, don't skip around and walk them through your thinking process.

Backroom Team Member Interview

Interview

Very straight forwar. Asked work history questions and if I'm school etc. easy and very laid back. But that is expected for a basic retail position. It was a breeze.

Backroom Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted about a week or two later. I had a phone interview on a Tuesday. It was pretty short, maybe 20 mins. The girl asked questions like:

-Why do you want to work for Target
    -Tell me about a time you went above and beyond.
    -Tell me about a time where you handled a lot at once.

At the end of the phone interview the girl said she would suggest that I move along in the hiring process. We then set up a time that would work.

Two (2) days after the phone interview I had a sit down interview with a different person, a HR person. She asked me three (3) questions:

-Why do you want to work for Target?
    -If a lady was looking for a pair of shoes, and you weren't assigned to the shoe department, and couldn't find them what would you do? (something along those lines) and;
    -If an item rang up for $19.99 but the customer said it should have rang up for $17.99, what would you do/how would you handle that?

After the sit down interview she asked about my schedule and briefly went of the job and hours and suggested I move along in the hiring process. The next week I came back in to finalize the offer and set up orientation.

Both of the people I interviewed with were very friendly and nice. Do some research and know what you're going to say and you should be fine.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Asked about pay. Said it was a set wage. No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cypress, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target (Cypress, CA).

Interview

I applied on line and then got a call asking if I was still interested in the job and they wanted to schedule a phone interview. I did the phone interview a few days later and then scheduled the in person interview a few days later. At the in person interview, I went to the store I applied for and was led upstairs to the break area to wait. I was then shown a video about the position I was applying and asked to take a test that had some math problems dealing with some graphs and charts. The interview itself was fairly easy. They asked a few questions that I had found out about from reading other reviews here so I had an answer ready for each one. And it also helped that the guy interviewing me was very easy to talk to. And then I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths & weakness? Why do you want to work for Target? Name a time you went above & beyond. Name a time you were part of a team effort. And name a time you made a mistake, what did you do & what was the outcome? And the two Target store questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations, just this is what the position pays. You either accept it or don't.

Backroom Team Member Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online. got a phone call a few days later asking to set up an interview. Interviewed a few days later. Went into employee break room and watched a video with a group of of other applicants. There was only one interviewer so the process went very slow. The interviewer was the supervisor of merchandise flow. He was really nice and was very understanding of my nervousness. I don't have any retail experience so I guess that was
    probably a turn off. He asked basic interview questions off of a paper and wrote down my responses. Interview lasted about 10 minutes. He told me that i would receive an email within the next few days. A couple days later I got an email saying that I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• Name 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses that you believe you possess.   Answer Question

Backroom Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

They Offered $9.00 per hour, so I said no. Other store offered more money, so I thought it best to look around for a better offer. They Offered $9.00 per hour, so I said no. Other store offered more money, so I thought it best to look around for a better offer. They Offered $9.00 per hour, so I said no. Other store offered more money, so I thought it best to look around for a better offer.

Interview Questions

• They didn't really ask any hard questions. It was fairly easy stuff.   Answer Question

Low pay

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Target (Honolulu, HI) in December 2014.

Interview

I Submitted an inquiry on an open position and in about a week I received a call and had an interview conducted over the phone. Upon completion I was asked if I was available to come in for a second interview which was scheduled days later. After meeting with one team member I was also waiting to have a third interview with another team member. Overall I would rate the process as informal and insightful .

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Target?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a situation where you were met with opposition but still performed beyond expectations?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a situation where you had to juggle multiple tasks at once?   Answer Question