Target

Average Difficulty
101 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Target in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through college campus career website and received an email from the HR representative from their HQ in scheduling a phone interview. The first interview was fairly short, around 20 minutes and it was mainly to get to know you and see if it's an opportunity that you're interested in and whether you'd be open to moving to the location etc. I was given an online test that was mainly case analyzing and data comprehension. After a week or so of decision, I was selected for second round phone interview. This was a behavioral interview where questions were structured like, "Tell me a time when....". This one lasted for half an hour and was told that I'd hear back about their decision. I was emailed a week later that I was not accepted. The HR representative was very friendly through email and during the selection process but in the general rejection email, it said to not contact them regarding personal feedbacks because it's against their policy.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you had to deal someone who wasn't contributing any work in the project.   Answer Question
  • Tell me a time when you took on a project that was much difficult or harder than you had initially imagined.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in January 2013.

Interview Details – Two week Process. Simple Online Quiz + Two Phone Interviews. Drug Test once you get an offer.

Interview Question – Why Target?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Target in March 2011.

Interview Details – I met Target initially at a recruiting fair in my senior year of college. They were primarily recruiting economics, finance, accounting, business majors. They hosted an event at Pizza House and the next couple days they began conducting interviews.

The first interview was with a student recruiter. He asked the typical Situation, Action, Outcome questions. He was pretty friendly and didn't have any terribly hard questions.

After this interview, I was flown to Minneapolis for a 1-day session where you meet a lot of the other applicants, are given tours of the headquarters, and views of different functional teams. You shadow someone as they go about their job and are given the opportunity to ask more questions in preparation for the 2 final interviews.

Both these interviews are more rigid with senior level executives. Questions included Why Target?) Tell me about a time when you had to present a concern that a group was not comfortable with voicing? How do you handle conflict with co-workers and give an example?Tell me a time something didn't go as planned? Tell me about a time you were given a task and there was an unforeseen obstacle? Tell me about your strengths and weaknesses? Explain a time when you had to make a difficult decision with little or no time? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Tell me about a time when you did not agree with your employer, how did you handle it? Tell me about a time when you had to motivate others? Tell me about a time your skill set was challenged?

The interview didn't go to well because of the tension between myself and the interviewer and I didn't end up receiving the job.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you were given a task and there was an unforeseen obstacle?   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in February 2010.

Interview Details – A recruiter reached out directly to conduct a phone interview after I submitted an application online. Target then brought us (candidates) to their headquarters location in Minneapolis for a full day of presentations, guest speakers, lunch, and multiple interviews with director level leaders. It was a great experience, and I was able to meet various senior leaders and executives during a social hour at the end of the day. I came away impressed with the level of talent present at the company.

Interview Question – Questions were in the situation, action, result format.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The recruiter called me at home and described the package being offered. It was competitive with other offers I had received at that time.

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Target in November 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process is mostly pretty casual. They invite you in for an office interview if you pass the first round on the phone interview. The in person interview is with two upper level or group managers and it is mostly situational/personality based

Interview Question – When did you have to resolve a tough situation with a coworker?   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Target in November 2012.

Interview Details – After submitting an application online and on my university's career development site, I received an emai from the campus recruiter roughly 2 weeks later telling me I was granted an on campus interview. I waited another week for the interview. Within 10 days, I received another email saying I made it on to the final round of interviews at headquarters. They placed me in the Sourcing Services department so I had to completely reapply online for that new position. The interviews were conducted at the end of the next week. They gave us no clear indication of the time frame and told us they would email us with more exact dates and never did. I waited 3 weeks and finally heard back from them with a general human resources emailing saying I was not offered the position and they will provide me with no feedback as that is their policy.

Interview Question – No real unexpected questions. All behavioral based. One interview focused on mainly negative things and how I overcame those situations and the other interview focused more on positive things and my accomplishments.   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Target in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for the internship and was contacted by a recruiter a few weeks later over the phone. We spoke for about 45 minutes and it was mostly behavioural questions, with one or two technical questions simulating the role of a buyer for one of Target's divisions. At the end of the phone call I was told that this was the one and final round of the interview process, and that I would be notified soon about my decision. A week later I was called and offered the position. All in all the interview was fairly relaxed and the recruiter that I spoke with dug a lot of behavioural information out of me but conducted himself in a welcoming way. I am looking forward to interning with Target!

Interview Question – Say you were the buyer for your favourite department of Target (electronics), how would you go about supplying stores for the upcoming season?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was little negotiation, I was given some time to decide and notified beforehand of the details of my offer.

Iowa City, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Target in October 2012.

Interview Details – I first found out about the Business Analyst position at my school's career fair. From there I gave a representative my resume and found out a little bit about the job. Then I applied on my school's career site as well as Target's website and waited for a response. About 2 weeks later I received an email saying that I had been accepted for an interview. In the actual interview, I found the interviewer very intimidating and unresponsive to answers. This is probably not how all interviewers are, but that was my experience.

Interview Question – What would you do as the buyer of the clothing department?   View Answer

Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed at Target in May 2010.

Interview Details – On campus interview (2 rounds), pretty basic behavioral interview. Could make the interview more difficult to weed out the under performers.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in April 2011.

Interview Details – As an internal hire, my interview process included three computer tests on personality, numerical competency and verbal reasoning. I then had 3 interviews which are composed of situation behavior outcome questions. I interviewed with human resources initially. After passing this interview round, I interviewed with a senior buyer, and a director of a division.

Interview Question – Tell me about a decision you made that did not receive a lot of support from those around you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate well, since I was an internal hire, and the new position was going to pay 30% more than my previous role.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Target