Target Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.3

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

They had me watch a short video and then I waited for someone to interview me. They asked normal questions. The questions were about different situations and then about myself. The interview is fine as long as you don't freeze up like me.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target (Bellevue, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied at an in-store kiosk that consisted of a pretty lengthy questionnaire, and was called a few days later to schedule an interview. Upon arriving I was again directed to the kiosk for a secondary questionnaire that was much shorter before an in-person interview.

The manager who interviewed me was very friendly, and the questions were pretty typical. Some did require specific examples where you have demonstrated certain traits, like leadership, but nothing too difficult. After this interview I was directed to go watch a recruitment video of sorts before I had another interview with a different person.

The second interview was very similar to the first, also requiring specific examples from my life. They also asked what I learned about target from the video, so try to at least pay attention enough to have an answer for that.

After all this (the whole process took around an hour with waiting time between interviews), I was directed to HR and hired on the spot. Overall the interviewing process was more lengthy than difficult. Just try to come across positive and energetic.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable selling Target Red Cards?   Answer Question
    • What would you consider your greatest strength and weakness?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you had to explain something new to a person.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you had to convince your coworkers/classmates to continue working.   Answer Question
    • Name a time you exceeded someone else's expectations.   Answer Question
    • Name a time in your life you had to prioritize between multiple tasks and how it worked out.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time something prevented you from completing a task and how you worked through it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was given a change to negotiate but didn't take it.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

I was first interviewed by someone who I think is a manager, she first described to me the expectations of a cashier at Target and asked if I thought I was cut out for the job. Then she asked me basic interview questions, mostly consisting of telling her about times when I worked well with a group, or how I solved a difficult problem, or how I convinced someone to try/believe in something I was passionate about. She talked to me about the Target redcard as well and asked me if I would be able to convince guests to sign up for one. After I was done interviewing with her I was asked to wait for a second interview. Another lady came and introduced herself to me and asked similar questions. Both people I talked to were friendly and easy to talk with. I was comfortable sharing some details of my life and hobbies throughout the interview. All of the questions are pretty much personal questions that ask about your own experiences in school and work. Just be honest but obviously don't say anything that comes off rude or irresponsible. Overall it was a good experience, even the people in the office area were friendly to me while I waited for the second interview. After the second interview the two people I interviewed with discussed my interview for 10-15 minutes, then I was offered a job. I think if you make it to the second interview you will most likely get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were working in a group and it didn't go as planned.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. I was offered a job and an hourly rate and I took it.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

They called about a week after submitting my application and asked about my availability and if I had any upcoming vacations. They then told me what the job paid ($9/hr) and asked if I was still interested. They then scheduled a phone interview for the following week which I just completed. The phone interview was only about five minutes and she seemed in a rush to get off the phone, so I'm not sure I'll be contacted for the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you didn't get along with a co-worker or peer? How would your past supervisors describe you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Target (Honolulu, HI) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied on Sunday morning (April 2015) and got a call back later on that afternoon from HR. I called them back and had a phone interview. They asked me questions like why did I want to work at Target? What does the 3 F's (Fun, Fast, and Friendly) mean to me? Do I have any experience working with the position (cashier) I am applying for? What is my availability? If they were to call my previous employers, what would they say my strengths and weakness are?
    After I answered those questions the lady asked me if I would be able to come in on Tuesday for a in store interview, which I said yes. I got to the store around 10:50am and waited for about 10 minutes and then the lead lady in HR came out and got me. We went into their interview room and we started off with the questions. The questions were about my past work history and behavioral situations; the interview went pretty well I would say. The lady then asked me if there was any other jobs I was interested in besides being a cashier, I said Guest Services and she said that was basically the same thing. She then said that she thinks I would be good working in HR and so she asked me some questions about HR and then she told me I was going to take a assessment test. The assessment test was 20 questions and they were the same questions but they were just which was the best and worst. I then waited for another 20 minutes until they took me up to there training room to watch a 10 minute video. I then shadowed a guy who worked in HR to see how I would like it and if I would get a good vibe from it. I did that for about 10 minutes and then waited another 10 minutes for another female to come in and interview me. The second interview took about 10 minutes and it was basically the same questions just re worded. Then 5 minutes later the first lady who interviewed me and offered me the position as a Cashier which I applied for in the beginning. They told me it would take 48 hours to do the background check and gave me my letter for the job offer and told me they would call me once they set up an orientation date and to come in khaki's, red plain shirt and shoes.

Interview Questions

• 1. If we were to call your previous job, what would they say your strengths and weaknesses are?
      2. Explain a time when you worked with a co worker who you did not get along with and how did you work through it?
      3. What is something you think you could work on?
      4. Would you feel comfortable trying to get a guest to sign up for a red card?
      5. Tell me about a time when you had a job duty to finish but a guest came up and needed your help, how did you handle that?
      6. Tell me about a time when you had to deliver difficult news?

Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation needed

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

It was typical for retail, they asked easy questions about what you would do in situations, how you would handle something and explained how they work there. They are fast fun and friendly. Then explained orientation and all that. I have to make this 30 words and the interview probably wasn't even that long.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if someone stole something, name a certain situation you had to handle a stressful
      Situation. Stuff like that.

1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Target (North Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

Applied online, about a month later I got a call and was asked if I could come in for an interview that week. Got there about five minutes early, waited 10 minutes before anyone even came out and got me, and then waited another 25 minutes in the back room before my interview began. Interviewed with someone for about 10 minutes, then interviewed with the GM for another 10 minutes. Offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to demonstrate excellent customer service.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to work with someone that you didn't get along with and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

Called for me to come in for a interview one morning. Arrived their was one other person applying as well. I was interviewed by two different managers. They were both very friendly and fun. Even started just talking and somewhat got off track of interview questions. Really interested in getting to know me my plans. I watched a video about guest service on sales floor. Then was offered a job on the spot. Did a drug test later that day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you gave good service?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target (Carmel, IN).

Interview

It was fairly low stress. They first have you fill out a questionnaire on their website(or you can do it in store). They were pretty basic questions about situations. It took some time to finish, about 30 minutes or so. Then they contact you within a week or so for an in person interview which was also pretty basic. If you make it past all of that, you take a drug test and if you pass that you're given the job.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

I have my third interview in two days and I realized it's not necessary. I only
    Applied for cashier why should I have three interviews for this position. The first interview was like three minutes. Then the next interview was with the executive team leader and I didn't like her at all. Then the third interview is supposed to be with someone in a specific department. Why three interviews ? The first one should have been a phone interview and they wasted my time. I don't even want the job anymore.

Interview Questions

• Typical situational questions that you can't rehearse.   Answer Question