Target

Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.3

397 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

I applied on line and received a call 2days later to schedule for a one on one interview. I was given 2 interviews each lasting about 15minutes. The interviewers were very friendly but professional.
Questions included Why Target, situational questions about guest services as well as Red card benefits.
Also important are past experiences related to the job you are applying for.

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Target

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Very quick to reply after sending in the application. The application itself is very detailed and long, but since it is all online, it was easy to take a few minutes to finish it or go back and finish if you did not have time to do it all at once. The first interview was done over the phone, also very quick and straightforward. The second interview is done in person.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

I went in to the store applied, and interviewed on the same day. Got a call a couple days later that they wanted to hire me. Came back in to sign some papers and then had to go do a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • They asked lots of situational questions like "Name a time you helped somebody even though they didn't ask for help" or "Tell me about a time you had to work with a team." Fairly simple questions but you have to come up with scenarios quick.   Answer Question
    No negotiations

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

I interviewed for Target about two months ago and got the job. It was pretty straight-forward: Glassdoor helped me a lot to prepare me for all the questions. Basically just practice what you're going to say with all the questions you find on here and you'll be set! Also, be prepared for a longer interview process. You first apply to the job, get a phone interview (mine wasn't really an interview, just a "why did you apply to Target?" and then set up the actual interview), the actual interview and then the second interview where they will tell you if you got the job or not. Finally, don't be afraid to call them to check in on the hiring process. They forgot to schedule me for my second interview so I had to call and remind them: and now I have the job!

Interview Questions
    • 1. What is the most difficult obstacle you had to overcome with a group?
      2. Tell me an instance where you made sure to give great customer service?
      3. What do you do if a customer argues that an item is 17.99 when it rings up as 19.99?

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

I filled out online application and about three weeks later I was scheduled for an interview I came to the interview and the atmosphere there was so refreshing the management seems very professional yet personable my second interview is tomorrow..I'm hopeful

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were rewarded for going above and beyond on a job.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Finally got a call from Target, after months since I applied. The interview process was easy, nice people who did the interviewing. Basic questions, Why do you want to work for Target? Availability is and or could be based on if you really want the job/get hired. If you are knowledgable and friendly and have open availability you pretty much got the job.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

I applied online and got a phone call. It was the typical interview questions. Why do you want to work here? What are your strengths and weaknesses? A week later I was scheduled to have an in person interview. They asked a lot of situational questions like : Name a time where yo had to put someone's needs before your own? What would you do on the occasion if a customer acted rude and got out of hand? It was a pretty easy interview overall.

Interview Questions
    • "You're ringing up a customer and an item rings up at $19.99 but the customer swears the price was $15.99, what would you do?"   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Target in November 2014.

Got a call on Wednesday, scheduled an interview the following day. Came in professionally dressed which seemed kind of pointless since a guy with jeans, sneakers, and a casual shirt was also there for an interview and got hired. Before the interview started, I had to complete a applicant questionnaire with situation based question that make you pick the best and worse action to take.

After that I was called by one of the leads and she took me to a room. At first she see seemed kind of uninterested and in a bad mood but turns out it was just for show. She asked me about 6 questions where she wrote down what I was saying on a piece of paper. I was nervous at the time and desperately tried not to be obvious a outs it. After I answered the last question she commented that my answers were excellent and was going to recommend me to some other person. She lead me out to the break room where I sat for for quite a while until another person finally called me. This time it was the lead in charge of the cashiers. She was nice and everything but serious when it came to business. She asked similar questions that the first interviewer asked but reworded. She also asked about me availability, wrote it down and made me sign the paper. In the end she said she was going to see if HR would offer me a job.

Again, I sat outside, this time for a much longer time. Finally someone from HR called me and told me about the offer with a wage of $9 which isint too bad. I accepted and they said they'd have someone get in touch about orientation. Overall the whole process took about an hour and a half.

Whatever questions you get make sure you base your answers on the idea that its important to give "guests", not customers, a pleasant experience. Helping guests. That's basically what Target is about and what they're looking for in people.
    Also, for the situation based or apply this to an experience question, you don't necessarily have to rely on your job history. If you do extracurricular activities or go to school, you can use examples from that. You can even make something up on the spot or apply a situation that happened to a coworker and apply it to yourself and they won't even know the difference. Trust me, I know cause I did it.

Wish those applying here the best of luck!

Interview Questions
    • Explain the situation, what you did, and the outcome based question:
      Describe a situation where nearing the end towards an assignment you realized you made a mistake.
      Describe a situation where you cooperated in a team effort.
      Describe a situation where you had a limited amount of time and had so much to do. How did you prioritize?
      Describe a situation where you went above and beyond for someone than any other person.
      General questions:
      Why do you want to work at target?
      If I talked to your supervisor/teacher, what would they say are your strengths and what you need to improve on?
      Why a cashier?
      Scenario based questions:
      What would you do if a customer wants a specific shoe size, style, but there aren't any on the shelf?
      You scan an item that reads $19.99. The customer sees this and says the shelf has a price of $17.99. What would you do?
      Do you know the benefits of a TargetRedCard? How would you go about selling it to me if I were a customer?
    None

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Target.

I had to wait about two hours before I got interviewed. They were hiring multiple people at once. The interview was fairly easy, it was mostly situational questions. The interviewer was really nice and relaxed. You should smile a lot. Maybe think about your answers before hand because it can be awkward if you have to think about them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Target in November 2014.

I got a call from HR about 2 weeks after I applied online. The lady seemed nice and asked me a couple questions like why do I want to work at target. She then asked me my availability and naming dates to see if I'm able to work on those days. I basically had an open availability so I said yes to all of them. She scheduled me for an interview at the target location I applied for. so then on that day I went to the interview. I showed up 15 min early and they led me to the back room and had me wait in the break room for about 10 minutes. Then they took me into the storage room and you watch a 5 min video. Pay attention to the video because they will ask you about it. After the video, that's when someone will come and take you in for your first interview. He asked me a couple questions like "tell me a time when you worked well in a group" or "tell me about a time when you were doing multiple tasks that needed to be done that day" after that, he sent me back to the break room and I sat there for another 10 min until a lady came to take me back to the storage room to take a questionnaire. Which were 20 questions and I did it on paper. Then another person comes to take you in for a second interview. Now these questions they asked were the same ones I saw on glass door and because of it, I got all the answers right and she said she recommends me for the cashier position. After that, she tells me to go to the break room one more time. Then a different lady came to take me in for my last and final interview which basically means that you are hired. She had me sign some papers and she told me that they really liked me and got the job! I was hired as a seasonal cashier so I wasn't required to do a drug test but they said if I'm reliable enough, I can be a permanent cashier. The cashier position is 10 an hour so I was really happy about that! The interview process that day took about an hour and a half. I recommend you look on glassdoor before your interview because that's what basically got me the job. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't know how to answer the questions! My overall experience was great and the people were nice as well! I'm hoping I will enjoy working at target and with the people. They have not scheduled me for an orientation as I just got hired yesterday. Still waiting on the call!

Interview Questions
    • If a customer told you the item was $17.99 but it rang up as $19.99, what would you do?

something about if a customer were looking at shoes and they couldn't find their shoe size, what would you do?
        Answer Question
    No negotitations were made.