Target

Getting the Interview

304 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

Cashier

The process took a day - interviewed at Target in November 2010.

Interview Details – i was seen and interviewed by 3 different managers, and then told that i was offered the job, if i approved of the pay. The interviews lasted at least 2 hours, pretty intense for a store.

Interview Question – give an example of a time when you were asked to perform a difficult task at work, and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate, because the pay was so low, but they said no. Take it or leave it.

Very Difficult Interview

Enfield, CT

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in October 2011.

Interview Details – In-store application. 1:1 Interview/assistant manager and store tour. Can you work these selected hours without time off? Tell me something cool about yourself? Group interview: two days later with ten people. Final Interview: no offer: overqualified: I had to much education. Target was like Walmart very liberal work culture.

Interview Questions

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Target in July 2010.

Interview Details – They had two very long multiple choice questions that had to be done online. Then after you've passed that they will contact you for an interview. There will be two interviews; back to back. If you are what they are looking for they will refer you to a clinic to do a drug test. The test must be given back within one-two days.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for us?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The negotiation process was similar to the online portion. They would ask me a scenario like, what would you do if you noticed there was liquid on the floor. They would then offer me options.

Tampa, FL

I applied online - interviewed at Target in October 2012.

Interview Details – After applying in store and answering couple questions, I got a call about 10 days later. I set up the interview 8 days later. Before the interview, you have to go to the application computer to complete an assessment that will take you about 15 minutes. Then you go to the Guest Service and they will tell you where to go. When I came they were in the middle of a "huddle". After they were done, a lady brought me in a small back room. She asked many behavioral questions, and nothing about me. She never said a word and took notes while I was talking. When I was done, she got up and told me she would call or email within a week. At this point I knew I didn't get the job because I read you have a second interview right after. I gave a blank stare and left. Three days later I received a Target email "sorry, unable to offer you a position at this time". Process is overrated.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you meet the customer's expectations.
Tell me about a time you worked as a team and what did you accomplish.
  Answer Question

Pembroke Pines, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – I applied online & received a call for an interview two weeks. I had two interviews that asked about retail experience, I answered the questions the best I could & honestly. The look on the last interviewer face was not so good, she looked annoyed and confused about my response to conflict with a difficult customer.

Interview Question – Name a time you had a conflict? What did you do & what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Cypress, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Target in May 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and was given an interview a few weeks later. I regret going to this interview. They were very unprofessional. The first guy who interviewed me was the team leader, he was very awkward. First of all, his face was all flushed red. He would not look at me and I noticed that he did not ask me all the questions that were on his paper, he skipped some because he seemed so nervous which is weird because that is his job. I had a second interview and the lady was really rude. She would ask me a question and stare at me with wide eyes and had this snobby look on her face. She did not try make a conversation with me she just remained quiet the whole time.. would only ask me the questions and that's it. I never heard back from them,. This is my local target and I shop there frequently. A few days later I noticed they hired a lot of new people and I was not impressed at all. They hired a guy who was very slow at cashiering, he would not greet customers and he would stare at girl's bodies as they were making transaction. I also noticed they hired a lady who was all decked out in tattoos and she was very rude. I don't know why decided to hire these kinds of people. I just feel like the whole process was a very awkward experience. If you are a normal, smart person, do not apply here. They only seem to hire people who aren't all there . Every time I shop here and see the manager/team leader who interviewed me, they avoid me and do not look at me. most of their interview questions start with "describe a situation" they ask about 7 of those questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you worked with in a team on a project and your teammates were not participating, how did you approach them and how did the project turn out?   Answer Question
  • Describe a situation when a customer was unhappy, what did you do to make them leave satisfied?   Answer Question

Ontario, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Target in December 2012.

Interview Details – Very tedious and annoying interview. Basically all the questions people have posted are exactly what was asked. You do about 3-4 interviews just to be a cashier, very long process. Seemed kind of un-organized as people were running around everywhere. You are interviewed by 2 people at a time each time.

Interview Question – Name a mistake made at a previous job, and what did you do to fix it   Answer Question

Danforth, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Target in December 2012.

Interview Details – I've applied online in October 2012. 2 days later I got an online assessment. On online assessment all questions were behavioral based like there were different scenarios and i had to choose my response according to that. In few question I had to choose both best and worst responses. I think that were the trickier part for me. After the submission of assessment I got an email to schedule for interview.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you make an angry customer satisfied?   View Answer

Charlotte, NC

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Target in September 2011.

Interview Details – First 2 interviews went fine but when I met wit the STL he viewed my education and prior experiences as a problem because I was over qualified for the position.

Interview Question – With all your education and experiences why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Enfield, CT

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Target in August 2009.

Interview Details – First, I thought I was going to see one person for the interview. When it came time for the interview, I was caught off guard by the change in plan. Instead of a 1:1, two other completely different people interviewed me in a 2 step process. Secondly, I dunno if they were playing good cop/bad cop on me. The second one displayed a complete lack of social skills such as eye contact and posture.

I've yet to recieve the job offer.

Interview Question – What would your last employer say that you could improve on?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Target

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target Cashier interview questions and advice. All 304 interview reviews posted anonymously by Target employees and interview candidates.