Target Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Prescott, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target (Prescott, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process required a few trips and was a bit of a hassle for those of us applying. I applied online and was called the same day (a few hours later) where I did a phone interview. They then told me they'd call back if they wanted me to come in for a person-to-person interview. I thought I didn't get the job and left it at that. A few days later they called to have me come in and I was interviewed by an ETL (basically manager) after I finished a short online questionnaire. They had me come in for a second person-to-person interview before they scheduled me for a two hour orientation. It felt like it was quite a run-around and I believe they were testing to see if I would "bend-over backwards" for them. I didn't appreciate it.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if.......(questions about responses to difficult situations)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Target (Orlando, FL) in August 2014.

Interview

two interviews after call back
    they require drug tests
    requires back grounds checks
    asks simple questions like why you want to work at target
    requires full availability

The overall interview was easy and comforting. No pressure and they ask simple questions

Anonymous Employee in Altoona, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Target (Altoona, PA) in June 2014.

Interview

I got a call to call the lady back to set up an interview. She kept telling me to call her back later. At the interview I had to fill out another application. The Interview wasn't very hard at all; very basic questions. I got an e-mail the next day saying that they weren't hiring, even though they were very much hiring for seasonal jobs.

Interview Questions

• What was one time you worked beyond what you needed to?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Target in January 2013.

Interview

two in-person interviews, one with the cashier supervisor and the other with the store manager. Interviews were informal and no pressure. The two interviews were held three days apart.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Factoria, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Target (Factoria, WA) in August 2011.

Interview

The interview only can happen by passing the pre screening kiosk located in all stores. If you pass that then you are immedieatly contacted for an interview( it took 2 hours for them to contact me) at the most a day or 2 if you didnt hear within then your account didnt meet thier prefrences.

They ask you logical questions like "can you lift XX lbs?" What makes you think you will fit it?" Etc. if the first person likes you immediatly they will ask you to stay for a 2nd interview, where they ask similar questions, if the 2nd person likes you as well they ask you to stay and speak to an ETL or even the STL who will approve your hire this is all done in one day, if at any point they say that is all and they will conact you for the "next interview" that is thier polite way of telling you, that you didnt get the job.

Interview Questions

• Can you lift more than 20 lbs   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

They had me watch a short video and then I waited for someone to interview me. They asked normal questions. The questions were about different situations and then about myself. The interview is fine as long as you don't freeze up like me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Target (Honolulu, HI) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied on Sunday morning (April 2015) and got a call back later on that afternoon from HR. I called them back and had a phone interview. They asked me questions like why did I want to work at Target? What does the 3 F's (Fun, Fast, and Friendly) mean to me? Do I have any experience working with the position (cashier) I am applying for? What is my availability? If they were to call my previous employers, what would they say my strengths and weakness are?
    After I answered those questions the lady asked me if I would be able to come in on Tuesday for a in store interview, which I said yes. I got to the store around 10:50am and waited for about 10 minutes and then the lead lady in HR came out and got me. We went into their interview room and we started off with the questions. The questions were about my past work history and behavioral situations; the interview went pretty well I would say. The lady then asked me if there was any other jobs I was interested in besides being a cashier, I said Guest Services and she said that was basically the same thing. She then said that she thinks I would be good working in HR and so she asked me some questions about HR and then she told me I was going to take a assessment test. The assessment test was 20 questions and they were the same questions but they were just which was the best and worst. I then waited for another 20 minutes until they took me up to there training room to watch a 10 minute video. I then shadowed a guy who worked in HR to see how I would like it and if I would get a good vibe from it. I did that for about 10 minutes and then waited another 10 minutes for another female to come in and interview me. The second interview took about 10 minutes and it was basically the same questions just re worded. Then 5 minutes later the first lady who interviewed me and offered me the position as a Cashier which I applied for in the beginning. They told me it would take 48 hours to do the background check and gave me my letter for the job offer and told me they would call me once they set up an orientation date and to come in khaki's, red plain shirt and shoes.

Interview Questions

• 1. If we were to call your previous job, what would they say your strengths and weaknesses are?
      2. Explain a time when you worked with a co worker who you did not get along with and how did you work through it?
      3. What is something you think you could work on?
      4. Would you feel comfortable trying to get a guest to sign up for a red card?
      5. Tell me about a time when you had a job duty to finish but a guest came up and needed your help, how did you handle that?
      6. Tell me about a time when you had to deliver difficult news?

Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation needed

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

They called about a week after submitting my application and asked about my availability and if I had any upcoming vacations. They then told me what the job paid ($9/hr) and asked if I was still interested. They then scheduled a phone interview for the following week which I just completed. The phone interview was only about five minutes and she seemed in a rush to get off the phone, so I'm not sure I'll be contacted for the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you didn't get along with a co-worker or peer? How would your past supervisors describe you?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

I was first interviewed by someone who I think is a manager, she first described to me the expectations of a cashier at Target and asked if I thought I was cut out for the job. Then she asked me basic interview questions, mostly consisting of telling her about times when I worked well with a group, or how I solved a difficult problem, or how I convinced someone to try/believe in something I was passionate about. She talked to me about the Target redcard as well and asked me if I would be able to convince guests to sign up for one. After I was done interviewing with her I was asked to wait for a second interview. Another lady came and introduced herself to me and asked similar questions. Both people I talked to were friendly and easy to talk with. I was comfortable sharing some details of my life and hobbies throughout the interview. All of the questions are pretty much personal questions that ask about your own experiences in school and work. Just be honest but obviously don't say anything that comes off rude or irresponsible. Overall it was a good experience, even the people in the office area were friendly to me while I waited for the second interview. After the second interview the two people I interviewed with discussed my interview for 10-15 minutes, then I was offered a job. I think if you make it to the second interview you will most likely get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were working in a group and it didn't go as planned.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. I was offered a job and an hourly rate and I took it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenbelt, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Target (Greenbelt, MD) in August 2014.

Interview

The interviewer ask simple questions like my goals, weakness and strength and also about my work history. I submitted a candidate profile online for this position and received an email from a recruiter the next day to schedule a chat. I talked to the recruiter on the phone for a few minutes about what the interview process would be like and answered a few general questions about why I want to work for Target and what I was looking for in the job