Target Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Las Vegas, NV
Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Target.

Applied online, about a month later I got a call and was asked if I could come in for an interview that week. Got there about five minutes early, waited 10 minutes before anyone even came out and got me, and then waited another 25 minutes in the back room before my interview began. Interviewed with someone for about 10 minutes, then interviewed with the GM for another 10 minutes. Offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time when you had to demonstrate excellent customer service.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you had to work with someone that you didn't get along with and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target in March 2015.

Whole process took 8 days. Thursday: Went to target and applied at their kiosk. Friday: Was called about a phone interview on Monday morning and was instructed to go back to target and take a questionnaire at the kiosk before the interview. Sat: I took the questionnaire (situational questions: what would you do if a coworker refused to do his/her work) took 20 minutes. Could be less. Monday: phone interview. (Checked availability and ask the questions i put) took about 15 minutes. Scheduled an face to face interview for Friday that week. Friday: did face to face interview. Was asked basically the same questions as the phone interview. Took 10 minutes. Was offered a job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were given a task and exceeded expectations.   Answer Question
    • If I talked to a former supervisor or teacher, what would they say you could improve on?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had to do two conflicting projects/tasks and how you managed to get both done and how you chose what was more important.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to stand up for yourself.   Answer Question
    Didnt try to negotiate price. Target just raised their pay from 8.25 to 9.25. So i took it.

Anonymous Employee in Medford, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Medford, OR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in March 2015.

I applied online and heard back within a few days to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was less than ten minutes, consisted of a couple of situational/behavioral questions and "why do you want to work at Target?" Later that day I got a call to schedule an in person interview that would take place two days later. They had me do a 20 minute questionnaire on the computer before my interview that was mostly situational/behavioral questions and some basic math, graph reading questions. The person interviewing me was very friendly and nice, she looked over my resume and asked me a few questions regarding my past work experience then proceeded to ask me questions from a printout. She was happy to answer all of my questions at the end and thanked me for my time. All the questions I was asked are already on this site in other reviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, NC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in March 2015.

The Target interview process was 3 stages. I was first called and asked could I do a phone interview. The lady who calls initially offering the interview asked a few questions during the call about what made me want to be cashier at target and to ensure my availability was correct. She then set up my phone interview for about 4 days later. The phone interview was basically scenario questions. It lasted about 30 minutes. After the phone interview I was offered a second interview which was a sit-in interview at Target. At the second interview I filled out an assessment before starting the second interview. Also, I watched a clip of how cashiers are suppose to act towards guests and what the expectations are of Target. Then the interview started after the clip. The questions were still scenario based questions. The second interview was also 30 minutes. After the second interview I was offered a third interview with the HR manager. During the third interview I was briefly asked did I understand the expectations of the job and to tell a little about myself. After about 10 minutes I was asked to go sign paper work on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the phone interview questions were: "what makes you the perfect candidate for the job", "describe a situation where a customer was unhappy with service and how you would react", "describe a time when a coworker and you didn't get along tell how you worked together without conflict", "describe a chaotic time at work where you had to help a lot of customers"
      Some of the sit in interview questions were:" describe a time where you had to stand up for yourself whether it be at school or work", "describe a time where a customer was very happy with your service", "tell your greatest weakness and greatest strength"

Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Called for me to come in for a interview one morning. Arrived their was one other person applying as well. I was interviewed by two different managers. They were both very friendly and fun. Even started just talking and somewhat got off track of interview questions. Really interested in getting to know me my plans. I watched a video about guest service on sales floor. Then was offered a job on the spot. Did a drug test later that day.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you gave good service?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Target in December 2014.

First step is applying online and doing a questionnaire. They called me about a week later to schedule a phone interview. If you pass the phone interview you will get a face to face. If you get the job they will offer it you on the spot. In the end job was seasonal.

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

I have my third interview in two days and I realized it's not necessary. I only
    Applied for cashier why should I have three interviews for this position. The first interview was like three minutes. Then the next interview was with the executive team leader and I didn't like her at all. Then the third interview is supposed to be with someone in a specific department. Why three interviews ? The first one should have been a phone interview and they wasted my time. I don't even want the job anymore.

Interview Questions
    • Typical situational questions that you can't rehearse.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hadley, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Hadley, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Target in March 2012.

There were two interviews, one over the phone and one that was in person. The phone interview took maybe 10 minutes and was very general stuff, such as "Why do you want to work for Target". Later that day I received a phone call saying that they wanted to schedule an in-person interview, which happened about 4 days later. Those questions were a little more specific, and there were maybe 5 of them in total.

We talked about what hours would work for me as well, and both people I talked to were courteous, although it seemed like they didn't really want to be doing this (with the generic and relatively easy questions, I don't blame them!).

Interview Questions
    • If you ring an item up for $29.99 but the customer says it was marked for $21.99, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

It was fairly low stress. They first have you fill out a questionnaire on their website(or you can do it in store). They were pretty basic questions about situations. It took some time to finish, about 30 minutes or so. Then they contact you within a week or so for an in person interview which was also pretty basic. If you make it past all of that, you take a drug test and if you pass that you're given the job.

Anonymous Employee in Largo, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Largo, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target in February 2015.

I applied online and received a call the next day. I went in and did an assessment at the kiosk followed by the interview, which was pretty basic. There were several questions where I had to describe certain situations that had happened to me and how they turned out, at the end I had to pretend to sell a target red card to her.