Target Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

1 interview First interview had basic questions. Took 20 minutes and fairly easy. Waited in the break room for about an hour for the actual interview to start. Seemed like you have to have experience to get experience

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Name a time you handled something difficult.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Target (Ithaca, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

All of the questions were about team work, when you completed a goal on time, when you went above and beyond expectations, etc. I believe they were like 3 part questions., not too bad but there are more directed towards if you have had a job before.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you want above and beyond someone's expectations.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't one, I had to wait after my last interview then an HR rep came and got me (I thought it was for another interview) and she put a piece of paper down and said "We're offering you a job, $8 an hour, just need you to sign here".

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Target (Lafayette, LA) in January 2011.

Interview

Pretty easy questions. Very nice. After hired had to sit through lots of training videos. Was a pretty fun job. Training really helped. Stocked shelves more than actually cashiering. The interviewer was very nice. This was my first job.

Anonymous Employee in Sawgrass, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target (Sawgrass, FL) in August 2013.

Interview

Asks a lot of questions. It's hard if you never had a job before. First they asked me about myself, why I wanted to work there, if a customer needed help with a shoe, what would I do, etc. Lots of questions, and they write it down. You can't lie really, and if you can, fake it til you make it. I am not that type of person, so I didn't do well. Also this was my first interview ever. I didn't get a good manager, and I'm glad I didn't get this job. Every employee complained of the manager and their jobs. I didn't want to be in that type of environment. Also even though the job is for Cashier, they basically want you to be a sales person. They wanted you to sell those red cards, and its more important than anything apparently. Now that I think of it, he asked me if I had experience selling something, which I didn't. I wasn't offered a job or anything, and he actually just left without saying anything, it was a terrible feeling actually, but I learned a lot. It was my first interview.

Interview Questions

• If a customer needed help in buying a shoe, what would you do? What if we didn't have the shoe?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lufkin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target (Lufkin, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied to target online. I received a call weeks later to come in for an interview. They told me on the phone before the interview that if I got the job the starting pay would be $9.00 an hour. I told them that I would like a interview so they scheduled me for a Friday at 4. I went in and asked who I needed to see about an interview that I was scheduled for at 4, they directed me to the office to be interviewed, overall the expirence was good, I was nervous being it was my first interview and most of the questions were situational. A tip, if you know anything about the company such as (what a red card is or how they give back to the community.) you will stirke them as you know about the company and educated yourself about them before the interview. So that makes you well prepared. I did not receive an offer that day but she also told me that since it was a weekend that HR would not be there till Monday to see how my interview went but that if my availability and my answers matched what the other mangers wanted to see/ hear then I would be contacted for another interview.

Interview Questions

• What would a teacher/manger say some of your strengths are? When was a time you used your positive attitude to turn a situation that was going wrong into a good situation? Explain a time you had to work someone you did not like/ agree with but had to remain professional with? Explain a time someone asked you to stop working on a task to do something else and what you did and how it made you feel? Explain a time you had to ask someone with more expirence than you to help you with a task?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target (Long Beach, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Found that this Target location was hiring by checking the job listings on their website, got a call back and did a phone interview. Then did an in person interview with an HR person and the store's general manager, and was hired a couple days later. Not too many questions, I was actually kind of surprised.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer said that something was cheaper than it came up on the register?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kapolei, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Target (Kapolei, HI) in February 2014.

Interview

I had a total of 2 interviews and they lasted maybe 10-15 minutes each. After the interviews I was hired before I left. There were a few others interviewing and it made me a little more at ease knowing other people were going through the same process as me.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a difference in opinion with someone?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and surprisingly they called me back within two days to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview went great, she sounded very promising and told me to expect a call in the next couple of days. I got a call that same day a few hours later for an in person interview, which I was excited for. A couple of days later, I arrive at the interview, everything was laid back and I was asked a few questions. Unfortunately I was not offered a position, but it was a great experience and easy going and friendly people to talk to. I would recommend at least trying Target!

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to ask for help from someone who had more experience than you   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you needed to prioritize many tasks and how did you manage it?   Answer Question
    • What would you say a previous manager/teacher would say your weaknesses are?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to explain something to a new person   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to work with someone who was difficult to work with   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Viejo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Target (Mission Viejo, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I talked to the interviewer, front end management, and then head of HR. The interviewer basically tried to feel out my personality and work ethic to see if I would move on. The FEM wanted to test my sales skills and asked me on the spot (unprepared) to sell him his pen, and once he approved I was sent to HR where they asked me a couple of other questions and sent me to get drug tested.

Interview Questions

• Name one time that you went above and beyond what was expected of you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Target (Austin, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

Was very direct and straight too the point, they made sure i was comfortable. They didn't seem snobbish and were very down too earth. The manager made small talk initially and didn't jump right into questions which was very nice.