Target

Getting the Interview

304 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Target

Interview Details – I applied online and the next day the called me for a phone interview. They asked a few situational questions. things like how would you help a customer. Once i passed that they set up an in person interview. The interview was pretty much the same. a few more situational questions. one was what would i do if i was ringing up a customer and they said the price of an item was lower. the correct answer was if it was below $10 difference we could change the price for the customer.

Interview Question – What would my previous employer say about my weaknesses   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation just a straight foward offer.

Cashier Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – You apply online, it'll take about a week or two until HR contacts you to tell you if you can come in for an interview, you show up to target and go to the computers so you can sign in and answer questions, you will watch a video and you will have to pay attention, then you'll have to answer these questions on the phone, then when you're done you go into the back and wait in these chairs until someone calls your name, they ask you basic questions like what are your weaknesses/strengths, what was a time you had to lead, when did you make an error and what was the outcome, what experience do you have that is related to the position you're applying for etc. Then you'll wait to have a second interview where you'll have to answer situation questions, like for example "What would you do if an item was priced $19 and the customer said it was $17?" or "what would you do if someone couldn't find the right shoe size they were looking for?" then you might have to roleplay and try to sell the person interviewing you a REDcard. after that you should be offered a job depending on how well you did.

Interview Question – "What would you do if an item was priced $19 and the customer said it was $17?"
- Just give the customer the price theyre claiming it is, its better to lose a few dollars than lose customer loyalty.
- tell the customer to wait and you'll check if they have more shoes in the back, call another target to see if they have the shoes, check online to see if they can order it from the target website, suggest to find the right shoe size in a similar style.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, you take the salary they offer (around $8.70 an hour)

Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Target in November 2013.

Interview Details – I showed up 30 mintues before my interview was scheduled, and waited another 30 minutes for my interview took place. They ask the basic questions, where have worked, what have you done this situation, and what would you do in this situation. AFter that, a second interview took place with a different supervisor 20 minutes later. Same thing really, except for she had emphasized on the promotion of the Target Red Card. Then I got the job.

Interview Question – What would I improve on?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Target in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called back 2 days after for a phone interview that same day. Most of the questions were asked there. "Tell me about yourself, why do you want to work at target, what are your greatest strengths/ weaknesses, tell me about a time you did something that someone said you excelled at, etc." I think it was 5 personal questions, and 5 situation questions. Then she scheduled me for an in-person interview the same week. I came in, did a 20 question assessment, and then had a 1 on 1 interview. He asked me to tell me about myself, why I want to work at target, tell me about a time I made a mistake, and then the two questions about what you would do if a lady and a child come looking in the store for a shoe and it's not there, and what would you do if something was ringing up 19.99 but the customer said its 15.99. He helped me answer the questions, which was really nice. After I gave my answer, he would basically ask " Would you help her look for similar shoes so you don't lose her business? and "If it was a busy work day, would you take the customer's word for it? (the answer is no, always check). That was it for the in person interview. He said he was done and he would be right back to check if they had everything they needed, and the HR lady came in and said congrats I got the job. Whole process only took 30 minutes.

Interview Question – All were fairly easy, and all were mentioned on this website.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Target

Interview Details – Typically a two part interview. If they send you out after the first one, don't expect a call back. Be prepared for basics...why do you want to work for Target, what are your strengths/opportunities, do you have any related experience.

Interview Question – All of the questions ask for you to tell a story about a specific situation. Don't generalize the questions. Tell me about working with a group to accomplish its goals.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. They have a salary scale and rarely do anything different.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Target in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and got an e-mail the next day from the HRTL saying to call the target store to discuss my application, called when I got the email and did a short interview with her asking the following questions: Why do you want to work for target? What hours/days can you work? Can you work the upcoming holiday weeks? I answered all the questions and she scheduled me for an in store interview 2 days later. I went to the interview and was interviewed my 2 very nice girls at once (one asked the questions the other was kind of shadowing her and trying to learn the process of interviewing) right after that interview I was interviewed by a guy who they said is their boss, very friendly and easy going, right after the interview was done I was offered a job pending background check and a passed drug test within 24 hours.

Interview Question – Questions asked for in person interview:
Name a time you worked in a group and accomplished a goal?
If I spoke to a teacher or supervisor what would they say would be your strengths and weakness?
Why do you want to work for target?
Talk about a time you helped someone go above and beyond for a task?
Name a time you had multiple tasks to do at once and how you completed that?
If a customer comes in asking for a pair of blue size 3 shoes for her son and you don't have them what do you do? (Say that you would check the back, call other stores to see if it's in stock, check online/advise the guest to check online, take a rain check and definitely say you would recommend the guest buy a different style/color pair of shoes)
Say you're working the register and you're ringing up the customers things and the computer says an item is 19.99 but the guest says it's 17.99 what do you do? (I was very skeptical that this was the answer but it definitely is, say that you would trust the customer and change the price because you wouldn't want to permanently lose the guest over 2 dollars and that the guest is more important than 2 dollars.)
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, offered 50 cents more than minimum wage.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person and interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – It was easy. Everyone was really friendly.

Interview Question – can't remember   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – I applied for seasonal help. The kiosk application was more like a psychological test than anything else. Upon finishing, I was encouraged to pick up the adjacent phone for an on the spot interview. I was told to go to Food Avenue for the interview, and as this was my first time in Target, I didn't know where this was, so I left. A few days later they called and said they wanted to schedule a second interview. When I got to the interview, I realized I didn't have to dress up as much as I did because the person before me in jeans and plaid polo was also hired.

Interview Question – "Why did you chose Target?"   View Answer

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Target in August 2012.

Interview Details – I received a phone call a few weeks after applying online, asking me to come in for an interview. The interview took place in a small office at the front end of the store. I was initially interviewed by a new GSTL (a supervisor in charge of cashiers, guest services desk, etc.) who reviewed my application information and my availability. 90% of the questions involved recalling specific situations from past jobs. I was expecting this, and there was only one question I hadn't prepared for. About halfway through the interview, the GSA (or front end ETL) came in to observe the GSTL, as it was her first interview. The GSA interrupted to say I was doing great. Once the interview was over, I was asked to remain in the office for a second interview, which was to be conducted by the same GSA. The second interview consisted of, more or less, the same questions (and I was told as much beforehand). At the very end, he quickly gave me some information on the Target RedCard and asked if I would be willing to ask guests to apply for it. Of course, I said yes.

He then told me that they had a few more interviews to do over the next few days and I would probably receive a call in about a week. Which, after acing the interview, made me feel nervous. However, the very next day I received a call to come back in for a follow-up. As I expected, I simply met with HR to sign some papers. I was told about the drug test and how it had to be completed within 24 hours. The testing facility didn't open until later in the day, and I was heading out of town as soon as I left the store. Luckily, she said she would hold off on filing the papers until the following Monday as a special favor (we were alums of the same University).

Once the drug test was completed, I was told to attend orientation the following week. The day before the orientation, though, they called and rescheduled it for two week later. Orientation consisted mostly of watching hilarious videos, and they take you on a tour of the entire store. I had my training the next day, and by the following shift I was on my own at a register!

Interview Question – Tell me about a time in which you had to juggle several situations at once.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any negotiation for my pay. Target starts all cashiers at the same wage, regardless of experience. I was, however, able to negotiate 25-30 hours per week as oppose to their standard 20-25.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Applied online and the next day was scheduled a phone interview. All the questions were the same as found on here already.
Why do you want to work here?
Tell me about a time you worked as a team to achieve a goal.
Describe a time when you exceeded someones expectations.
Strengths/weaknesses
describe a time when you had multiple things to do at once.

Interview Question – Time when you worked as a team to achieve a goal.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Target