Target

Average Difficulty
336 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Edison, NJ

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in September 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview with typical questions. Very neutral experience. Did not accept it.

Interview Question – Typical interview questions, but weeknesses is always kinda hard.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – salary vs schedule

Poway, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Target in July 2013.

Interview Details – Just a few days after filling out Target's lengthy online application, a representative of the store called me to schedule an interview. They only ask a few questions, at least for the more basic positions, but the interviewer was visibly displeased when I mentioned that I only had a single semester of school left before graduating. I doubt that they would be too eager to hire someone that was unlikely to stick around after graduation.

Interview Question – Name a work situation in which you would have recanted your actions later and would have done something else.   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online - interviewed at Target in November 2013.

Interview Details – Was asked few questions to determine if I'd fit to be a candidate which were.
Why would you work for Target?
What experience makes you qualified for this position?

Interview Question – The questions that threw me a curveball was?
What difficult situation did you face and how did you fix it.
  Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Target in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online one night (Monday) and received a call the next day (Tuesday) to schedule a phone interview for the next day (Wednesday) at 10am.

When Wednesday came around, the call came at 10:03 and lasted about half an hour. I was interviewed by a senior team lead who asked me some basic questions. Why I want to work at Target. What my strengths and weaknesses would be according to a previous employer/supervisor. Name a time when you had to work in a team to accomplish something. Describe a time when you had to handle a lot of things at once. What qualifications do you have that would contribute to the store? In addition, I was asked questions about my availability and other things regarding the online application. At the end of the interview the girl asked if iI could go in later that day for another interview, so we made an appointment for 11:45am.

When I got there later that day (still Wednesday) the HR worker gave me another questionnaire to fill out. The questionnaire asked questions about the best and worst responses to possible scenarios. One of the questions I remember is: In a group you're in, your coworkers are discussing a situation where another worker stole an item. How do you respond in the conversation. Choose the best response for the situation (Multiple choice).

After I filled out the questionnaire (in the break room which was really nice, clean, and comforting), the manager in charge of registers took me to a room where a 1:1 interview was conducted. Most of the questions were similar to those given during the phone interview. In addition I was given scenarios to give responses to. If a customer wants a particular shoe size for her child, but that size is not listed on the shelf, what would you do? If you scan an item that rings up $19.99, but the customer insists she/he saw the price as $17.99 what would you do? Describe a time when you had to overcome a problem and tell whether or not you were successful. I was also asked to try and sell something because apparently it's part of the job.

After the interview, I was offered the job with the condition that I complete a drug test within 24 hours and that I attend the orientation scheduled for the following week.

Overall, every one of the people I charge of the hiring process were very friendly and cordial. It felt like a very laid back environment and the manager in charge of conducting the 1:1 interview wasn't too intimidating or mean.

Interview Question – For me, it was being asked to sell something because I have no experience with it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Minimum wage is the starting salary.

Wilmington, DE

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Target in June 2010.

Interview Details – Two interviews. Initial interview with manager then with HR. They ask mostly life situation questions, what would you do...

Interview Question – nothing   Answer Question

Interviewed at Target

Interview Details – 3 interviews-phone-face to face-and final interview w/hr

Interview Question – what would you do if a guest questioned the price of an item   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

Tuscaloosa, AL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in December 2013.

Interview Details – This was my 2nd Target interview at a different location. The interview process was the same but I was not prepared the first time. It was really hard! The questions tripped me up.But because I had been in a Target interview before I aced it the second time. I was brought in a room with several other candidates. 2 different team leaders interviewed me, pausing between interviews. The first person was usually on the floor and I went to them with problems, the other I guess was the "store manager" but Target doesn't use those words. The first person was really friendly and I liked them. The second was more intimidating because their name was on the office door. I rarely saw the 2nd person during my time there.

Interview Question – Describe a time you were faced with a difficult problem, but overcame that to achieve unexpected results,
Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.
Describe a time you made a mistake, what was it and how did you fix?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Immediately after interview HR person went over the job offer and I had to go get drug tested. I was working less than a week later.

Atwater, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, and was called a few weeks later to set up a phone interview. They gave me a day and time for the following week. They called me an hour and a half late for the interview, and the woman conducting it was very cold and un pleasant, but I did my best to stay positive so I wouldn't come off the same. The questions were simple things like "Tell me about a time that you had to work together in a group" and "What is something you've accomplished in your lift that you're proud of?" She said I would hear from them within a week if I was going to be offered the position. A week came and went so I figured I didn't get the job, thirteen days after the phone interview they called and asked me to come in and interview in person. Again, and date and time was scheduled. I arrived fifteen minutes early, and was taken to the break room to wait. forty minutes after my scheduled time I was called in by a manager. She had me watch a video on "what working for Target is all about" and then she asked me questions about my availability, my previous experience, and simple personality questions like "tell me about a time you made a mistake and what you learned from it." She asked me to come back an hour later to meet with another person for yet another interview, so I did, and that one wasn't really an interview at all, she just had me sign a paper saying if I was available on certain dates, and asked me to verify my address, and then I was sent back to the break room to wait again. Almost an hour later, I was called in by a woman from HR to sign paperwork, and I was told I would need to take a drug test at a company in the next town. Except after being there all day for the interviews there wasn't time to make it there to take the test that day, so I had to go back the next day to have that done. I was called a few weeks later to go to orientation, which was the most boring afternoon of my life! Nothing they show you in the videos matters at all, you'll forget most of it, or it just simply isn't implemented in the job at all, you sign stacks of paperwork, and listen to them read a bunch of stuff that truthfully doesn't matter at all. I was given my schedule for the next two weeks, and sent on my way. The first day consisted of taking two tests, one on hazardous materials, and one on alcohol, taken out to a register, given a training book, told I had an hour to read it and practice on the computer, and then I was put on a lane, by my self, and left on my own for the rest of the day.

Interview Question – "A customer is buying cans of vegetables that are ringing up at $0.75, but she insists they were on sale for $0.35. What would you do?"   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, you accept what they offer you, or you don't get the job.

Interviewed at Target

Interview Details – Filled out an application on line. However I did not get an interview as I believe I did not
have the available hours they were looking for during the longtemporary holiday season.I was very disappointed. If I should apply again, I will be sure to have more flexibilty with my hours so as to be screened.

Interview Question – The most difficult question is how to handle an angry customer.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – 2 Interviews, One Phone and One in Person.

Interview Question – Easy Questions, tell me about yourself.. Hardest question was Sell me a Target Red Card.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation of pay.