Target Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.2

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

I was first interviewed by someone who I think is a manager, she first described to me the expectations of a cashier at Target and asked if I thought I was cut out for the job. Then she asked me basic interview questions, mostly consisting of telling her about times when I worked well with a group, or how I solved a difficult problem, or how I convinced someone to try/believe in something I was passionate about. She talked to me about the Target redcard as well and asked me if I would be able to convince guests to sign up for one. After I was done interviewing with her I was asked to wait for a second interview. Another lady came and introduced herself to me and asked similar questions. Both people I talked to were friendly and easy to talk with. I was comfortable sharing some details of my life and hobbies throughout the interview. All of the questions are pretty much personal questions that ask about your own experiences in school and work. Just be honest but obviously don't say anything that comes off rude or irresponsible. Overall it was a good experience, even the people in the office area were friendly to me while I waited for the second interview. After the second interview the two people I interviewed with discussed my interview for 10-15 minutes, then I was offered a job. I think if you make it to the second interview you will most likely get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were working in a group and it didn't go as planned.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. I was offered a job and an hourly rate and I took it.

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

They called about a week after submitting my application and asked about my availability and if I had any upcoming vacations. They then told me what the job paid ($9/hr) and asked if I was still interested. They then scheduled a phone interview for the following week which I just completed. The phone interview was only about five minutes and she seemed in a rush to get off the phone, so I'm not sure I'll be contacted for the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you didn't get along with a co-worker or peer? How would your past supervisors describe you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Target (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

My interview was scheduled at 9:30 I showed up I believe at 9:15 and I didn't get seen until 11:30 the hr couldn't find any one to do the interview, I went through one interview passed it, then sat around waiting for about 40 mins to be interviewed by another manager. I was given the job with the started pay of $8.00 I felt disgusted because I have years of experience and longevity with every job I've ever had. Despite that I spent 4 hours there just to do two interview I spent most of my time waiting. If you are 16 to 18 or a college student just looking for a part-time job Target is for you. That's all you will see working there

Interview Questions

The pay wasn't worth it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Target (Honolulu, HI) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied on Sunday morning (April 2015) and got a call back later on that afternoon from HR. I called them back and had a phone interview. They asked me questions like why did I want to work at Target? What does the 3 F's (Fun, Fast, and Friendly) mean to me? Do I have any experience working with the position (cashier) I am applying for? What is my availability? If they were to call my previous employers, what would they say my strengths and weakness are? After I answered those questions the lady asked me if I would be able to come in on Tuesday for a in store interview, which I said yes. I got to the store around 10:50am and waited for about 10 minutes and then the lead lady in HR came out and got me. We went into their interview room and we started off with the questions. The questions were about my past work history and behavioral situations; the interview went pretty well I would say. The lady then asked me if there was any other jobs I was interested in besides being a cashier, I said Guest Services and she said that was basically the same thing. She then said that she thinks I would be good working in HR and so she asked me some questions about HR and then she told me I was going to take a assessment test. The assessment test was 20 questions and they were the same questions but they were just which was the best and worst. I then waited for another 20 minutes until they took me up to there training room to watch a 10 minute video. I then shadowed a guy who worked in HR to see how I would like it and if I would get a good vibe from it. I did that for about 10 minutes and then waited another 10 minutes for another female to come in and interview me. The second interview took about 10 minutes and it was basically the same questions just re worded. Then 5 minutes later the first lady who interviewed me and offered me the position as a Cashier which I applied for in the beginning. They told me it would take 48 hours to do the background check and gave me my letter for the job offer and told me they would call me once they set up an orientation date and to come in khaki's, red plain shirt and shoes.

Interview Questions

• 1. If we were to call your previous job, what would they say your strengths and weaknesses are? 2. Explain a time when you worked with a co worker who you did not get along with and how did you work through it? 3. What is something you think you could work on? 4. Would you feel comfortable trying to get a guest to sign up for a red card? 5. Tell me about a time when you had a job duty to finish but a guest came up and needed your help, how did you handle that? 6. Tell me about a time when you had to deliver difficult news?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation needed

Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Target (Saint Charles, MO) in April 2015.

Interview

Just ask a bunch of questions, about your work history. What would you do in certain circumstances? They ask about how long you have worked at other jobs. How long have you lived at your present address and how do you get along with the public, other employees.

Interview Questions

• If you seen an employee stealing what would you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Target (San Bernardino, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and less than a week I got a call. Without realizing it was a phone interview I answered a few questions and then they scheduled an in-person interview for two days after. When I got there I watched a little video on the different positions they have. After it ended I waited for a team leader to interview me. They liked me enough to go into the next step. So they had me wait again. I was then interviewed by a second person but this time an executive team leader. Liked me in that interview so they offered me a position and I accepted, so they set me up with my orientation date. It was an easy interview. But a lot of waiting. The whole interview process took a little more than 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond someone's expectations... 2. Why do you want to work here? Mostly situational questions....glass door literally covers them all.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

The interview was very quick and easy. They worked around my time for a phone interview and told me the next interview would be in person. They really asked about my availability and the normal interview questions.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online on a Sunday afternoon. Target called me and left a message on Monday morning. Once I called them back they asked about my availability, nothing more. We then set up a time that week on Friday for an interview. At the interview I was first asked a couple questions about hobbies, more availability questions and some "what would you do" questions. A second worker came in, after I watched a video about the atmosphere at Target, and asked me "explain a time where..." questions. The next Monday morning they called me, and offered me a job.

Interview Questions

• "Explain a time where you had to stand up for yourself" "Explain a time where you were interrupted, but had to still complete a task" "When was a time when you didn't get along with somebody, but had to work through it?"   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

Hiring process was overall fairly easy. Filled out the application and was contacted a few days later to set up an interview. Set up the interview a few days later. I waited only about 10 minutes once I got there. I was then interviewed by a first person. I went back into the break room after the first interview, then was called back for a second interview. I was hired immediately after the second interview. Both of the interviewers were very friendly, and so was everyone in the break room. It was a fairly stress-free interview in an environment I look forward to working in.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a situation where you had to explain something new to someone.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a situation where you exceeded expectations.   Answer Question
    • If I talked to your past supervisor, what would he/she say are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Target (Dublin, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was thrown into the break room for a few minutes. Then one of the leaders for the section I worked for brought me into a room and asked me canned questions that resembled, if anything SAT essay prompts. They wrote down notes on my answers. I was handed off to a second person, I kept answering the questions, and then I was hired on the spot.