Target Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Mar 27, 2015

2.6

Executive Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in March 2015.

It was really fast, at least how I went through it. It's based on three interviews with four questions each. All situational or behavior-based. The further down the interview process, the more difficult the people you interview with. Interviews are capped at a 30 minute maximum.

Workflow Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurnee, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Gurnee, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target in February 2015.

I applied online then the next day I got a call from human resources asking me when is a good time for a phone interview, I chose the closes date, than the manager that interviewed me set up a date for an in store interview, after that you get an email for orientation

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were average about past jobs and skills, but an odd question caught me off guard, it was say your working at the register and A customer with 2 screaming kids tells you one of the items is ringing up wrong, she was sure that the item was on sale, so you're left with no other employee to help you, how would you settle this? My thoughts was i never been a cashier this question is gonna kill me   Answer Question
    • After I got my email stating my schedule for my orientation, I called HR letting them know I received the date, she told me that my orientation will be a later date and that they will call me, is that a bad thing?   Answer Question

Merchandise Planning Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target in February 2015.

I applied through university recruitment. I met the recruiter at the career fair and submitted my resume online through the university career services site. They reached out to me about a week later for an interview on campus. It was 30 minutes all behavioral. Before the interview, I had to complete an online reasoning and behavioral assessment.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you faced conflict working in a group   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Target in January 2015.

It was a two part interview. First it was a phone interview which was very basic. Then an in store interview. When i got there they took me to the back room where there were two ppl interviewing me. They asked why work for target. Explain teamork and other basic questions.Pretty easy but I was super nerveous.

Interview Questions
    • Why work for target. Tell about a time when you went above and beyond. Tell us about yourself. What are you strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in November 2014.

I applied online for a seasonal/temporary Sales Floor Team member position. About three days after finishing my online application, I received a call to confirm I was still interested in the job. They verified what holidays/days I would be available, confirmed the position I applied for, asked me why I applied to Target and then scheduled my phone interview (which was for the next day).

My phone interview was scheduled for 11:00 AM, but they didn't call until about noon (I was going to call the store to see if they had forgotten but decided to wait it out a few more minutes and that's when they called). My interviewer apologized for the tardiness of the call and the interview promptly started.

My initial questions appear to be the same as everyone else's, but I'll write them down as best I can remember.

As a guideline, my interviewer told me that she would be asking me several situational questions and would be writing down all of my responses. She asked me if I had any previous experience working in the industry (which I did) then proceeded onto the situational questions. I was asked about a time I exemplified great team behavior/teamwork, what previous employers or teachers would say were my strengths and weaknesses and then asked about a time I exemplified great customer service or when a customer admitted they had received above and beyond customer service.

After answering those questions, I was told they would be in contact with me within 1-2 days but I received a call that same day, maybe 7 hours after my interview. I was told to go in-store and complete their additional assessment on their kiosks, call their WOTC number (which were questions for tax breaks for Target) to get a confirmation number (which you'll need for HR) and then scheduled an interview for the following day.

I went in, had to wait maybe ten minutes before someone took me to watch their five minute video on the position I was applying for, then was told to go back to the waiting area for my actual interview. He came in a few minutes later and started the interview off by going over my initial application -- verifying all my information was correct and that I was still available for the hours and days I had chosen (which I was and I think my wide open schedule was what got me that far into the process, but who knows).

He told me a bit about his job and what his experience with the store was like and then we started the next round of questions.

He asked me 'Why do you want to work at Target?' (This one is pretty much up to you on how you answer, but I would probably mention something about their customer service or how customer focused they are since it's such an important part of their image.)

'Tell me one thing that you learned or liked from the video you just watched' (I mentioned I liked how they refer to customers as guests, it shows they take people's patronage seriously. Also that they don't consider the people who work for them as strictly employees but as team members. But again, what you answer is totally up to you.)

'If we were to ask a former employer or teacher, what would they say your weaknesses are or areas of improvement? Give me one or two examples of each one.'
    'Tell me about one time you made a mistake, how you corrected it and what you learned from it.'
    'You're working in shoes, a woman comes up to you and tells you that she can't find the shoe size she's looking for, how would you handle the situation?' (I said to check in the back for the shoe size she was looking for and if we didn't have it, that I would check to see if we could order it for her or suggest she try ordering it online)

'You are working as a cashier, an item rings up for 19 dollars, but the customer says the price was listed as 12, what do you do?' (I've read the other answers to this question and from what I've witnessed in store, firsthand, they usually do a price check with someone who works in that area. So I said I would apologize for the confusion and call in a price check. My interview then said that the initial ring up price was in fact correct and that it was $19, what would you do? I adjusted my answer accordingly. So I guess each answer differs based on where your Target is located.)

After that, my interview was over and I was brought back to the waiting room to wait for HR to wrap things up. I was offered a job right on the spot with pay a little over minimum wage.
    No drug test was required, which I found a bit odd but figured it was because they didn't want to wait any longer since the holiday rush was coming up.

We shook hands and the HR rep told me that she would be in contact with me by the end of the week to schedule my orientation assuming everything checked out with my background check.

All-in-all, the whole process was pretty easy, especially if you've read through the questions everyone else has posted.

Interview Questions
    • What was something you thought was interesting or learned from the video you watched?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, the pay rate was standard with no wiggle room.

Seasonal Cashier/Sales Floor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lombard, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lombard, IL

I submitted an online application on Saturday, received a call on Sunday. The person on the phone asked me about my availability on certain "mandatory" days of the holiday season and gave me the non-negotiable salary. I was OK with both, so an interview was set up for later in the week. The first interview was Wednesday. There was a clock in the room - it took around 15 mi(nutes and followed an exact script. The person interviewing me did not deviate from the corporate interview guide. I needed several days off during the holiday season, so instead of moving on to a second interview immediately, my time off had to be cleared through HR. Despite being told they would follow up with me, I had to follow up with HR. My time off was cleared and I had a second interview on Friday. Again - same thing. Interviewer followed a corporate interview guide exactly. No extraneous questions, no follow up questions. I was offered a position immediately after the second interview. No drug test for seasonal team members, but there was a background check.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you made a mistake at work and the steps you took to fix it.   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

I applied online. I received an emai a week later asking me to schedule a phone interview. I scheduled a phone interview with a recruiter which last for 20 minutes. The recruiter sent me an online assessment to complete after the interview. The online assessment was a bit difficult. I received a call the following day to have a face-to-face interview and another phone interview. The face-to-face interview went well. All three interview questions were behavoria..name a time when..?

Logistics Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrillville, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrillville, IN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

The interview went smoothly, Like other people said it was questions involving how to handle guest (they like to call the customers "guest" instead of "customers). They ask what I would do if I dealt with a customer who had a item scanned that said it was on sale and I wasn't sure and I answered that I would trust them and check the item after I ring them up. They hired me on the spot when the interview was over. It was only for the seasonal position but it was well.

Guest Service Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Target in September 2014.

So I applied for Target twice: once a year ago and about a month-and-a-half ago. It's pretty easy to go online and apply with them—you give them some personal information, inform them of your background, and answer one of those skill / strength / work ethic questioners. The whole thing takes about an hour and gives you the option to stop and come back later to finish. Props to their online application cause it lets you apply for 3 different positions and at 3 different locations, which is sorta like applying for 9 jobs at once.

The first time I applied, I heard back from one of the HR members within just a few days. I had an interview scheduled for just a few days later. I went, answered some questions one-on-one with one of their HR leads, and was offered a position without negotiation. The whole thing took about 40 minutes. Before I left, I was told I'd hear back about an orientation date within a week (pending my background check + drug test results). That particular location had a clinic, so I was able to just take my drug test and go—if they don't have a clinic, you have to go to a specific location within 24 hours or your application / "job offer" will be thrown out. I got a better job offer the next day, so I called the lead that interviewed me and told him I wouldn't be able to take the position. It really didn't seem to phase him as I'm assuming this happens a lot.

My most recent interview (at a different Target) has been anything but quick and easy. I applied online close to 2 months ago, and it took over 3 weeks before I even heard back about an interview. When I got a call, they asked me to come in the next day. Not a big deal cause I was free then, but I wasn't offered any other options. I went to the interview the following morning. Same general interview thing happened—except 3 different leads came in at different parts of the interview to do the same thing that the 1 lead had done a year ago, like they were "handing me off." (This interview just seemed HIGHLY inefficient.) All the same questions as my first interview, except it took close took just over 1.5 hours before I was told they'd like to offer me a position with negotiation of hours and work center. I was told to expect an orientation date in no more than 2 weeks. 2 weeks later, and I had yet to hear back from anyone. I called and asked if they had set an orientation date yet and was told that my results (and many others) were still pending and that they had no idea when they'd know the results. (A timeframe of "a couple more days" or "a couple more weeks" would have been nice.) I was assured they'd contact me as soon as they knew anything.

All in all, this Target position is very easy to apply for and asks basic, yet essential questions about your work abilities.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to work with a group of coworkers / classmates.   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you were checking out a customer and an item was marked $2 less than it was ringing as?   Answer Question
    At my first interview, there was no negation of the number of hours I wanted or work center. They took my availability into consideration.

At my most recent interview, they asked me number of hours I wanted to work and my availability. Based on what I told them, they gave me some options for different work centers based on what they thought would best fit my life. I found this SUPER considerate of them.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheaton, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wheaton, IL

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

Can apply online or in store. They will interview you with one person and a little later another person will interview you if they like you. A background check will be run as well as a drug test. The interview questions do not really need to be prepared for. As long as you can supply a answer you will do well.

Interview Questions
    • How did you over come a problem at you old job? May be difficult to answer if you never had a job before.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation procedure.