Target

Target Executive Team Lead Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Executive Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Target in June 2012.

Disclaimer: I will tell you right now, this is a VERY long interview process. So, if you’re desperate for a job or not really that into this position, don’t waste your time.
After my referral, I received an invitation to apply with Target as an ETL and then a second email requesting that I take a personality/ intelligence test. These are not huge. Just be yourself and use your best judgment. I will give you this one hint though: you ARE in the top 5% of leaders. BE CONFIDENT. Now, the intelligence test is a different story. Tip: Google and calculators are your friend.
Don’t pay too much attention to learning about the company. Work in 1 or 2 facts to show you did your research. If you know anyone that works for Target DEFINTITELY utilize them. Go over the answers to your questions with them. Also, I don’t know if this is limited to my district, but most of my communications with Target were on Tuesdays. So if there is a week or two between calls, be patient.
About a week after I completed the aforementioned materials, I received an email to schedule a phone interview with an STL in the district which I was applying (I was planning to move to the other end of the country—hence the phone interview). Other reviews will talk about how all the interviewers are warm and helpful…not the case in my experience. My experience was in no way negative. All I’m saying is that all of my interviewers had really good poker faces, which made the experience a bit unnerving. I am thinking this is because they are checking your attitude and confidence in the face of polite adversity. If you get an interviewer like this, just continue to be enthusiastic and positive whether the interviewer warms up or not.
This interview was very structured, which can be hard. Basically, if you have any points to sell yourself that are not included in your 5 power stories that you will need to share, make sure you work them in the beginning of the interview before the 5 questions start. Once they ask the five questions, that’s all you get unless you can work selling points into the questions you will ask the interviewers.
Taking a moment to talk about answering the 5 questions: they are behavioral questions to test your character and conflict management skills. Give STAR (situation, task, action result) answers. In your answers focus mostly on what YOU did specifically in the situation and what the result of your behavior was. Even if it is a negative story—sugar coat it. Put a positive spin on it. Target wants positive leaders. Use the questions on this website as samples and pick five stories that you can use for multiple questions (prepare 2 backups for a total of 7 stories). Use stories that exhibit these qualities: courage, respect, inspires others, problem solving/ strategizing, driving for results, accountability, ability to relate well to others, collaborates, innovates, ability to manage execution, effectively communicates. Be detailed but try to keep it short and sweet. These people do lots of interviews and are VERY busy, be considerate and don’t ramble. Follow this advice and you’ll do fine. I am normally a pro at interviewing, but I psyched myself out for this one even though I am more than qualified for the position. I was so nervous I was trembling and I still made it to the next round. Like I said, just read up on this website and you’ll be fine.
Since I did not reside in the area I was interviewing for during the hiring process, I was offered to do skype interviews at a local Target. However, I did not want to take any chances and was looking for an excuse to go visit my family anyway, so I offered to make the trip up to interview in person. This worked to my advantage because they scheduled my last two interviews on the same day instead of having me spread them out (yay for my nerves!). **See negotiation**

Interview Questions
  • Name a time you were given consequences for a mistake you made and tell me what YOU did to fix it/ how you handled the situation.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you had to change your leadership style and what the outcome was   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you came up with a creative solution/ took charge of a situation, they steps you took to tackle it and how it turned out   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you had to confront a peer/supervisor   View Answer
  • tell me about a time you had to represent a group in bringing an issue to a superior. How did you do it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
I arrived 15 mins early, fully suited up. My first interview was with the HR Business Partner. She was new to the job and very friendly and helpful. She had a much more approachable vibe and was easy to talk to. I was almost back at my full interview suave, despite my nerves. She asked me what leadership was to me, and to name a time I made sure someone else got credit, which I had prepared as a back up story (Thanks Glassdoor!) Other than that, the questions were pretty much the same as before.
 Then, I had my second interview...This was with the DTL. She had the same poker face thing going for her as the STL I interviewed with but x10. Also be ready for the 60 second commercial! I was NOT expecting that and ended up babbling through it. My mouth got so dry I believe I may have accidentally spit a little on her. I was extremely mortified but I pretended like it didn't happen and just tried to keep my composure through the interview. I kept the energy high and held fast my friendly face even though it was not reciprocated. Thanked everyone for meeting with me and made my way quickly to my car.
I honestly was not sure if I was going to get a call back. I felt I did OK but it really could have gone either way Sure enough though, I got the call to do a follow up phone interview while I was at the airport. I think that was with the VP of HR. I'm told this is really just a formality and to make sure no one else missed something glaringly wrong with you. We discussed why I wanted to move, my strengths and weaknesses and when I would be able to start.
At this point, I was expecting the next call from the recruiter to be an offer. Not the case. The recruiter called me about 5 days later to ask me the same questions as the VP HR and because I had not yet gotten to speak with her. Thankfully, after almost 2.5 months of interviewing, I was offered the job. I enthusiastically accepted.

This is retail, sweet cheeks. You don't negotiate your salary (I suspect they have a sliding scale based on department). My offer was 48,000/year and I immediately said yes. From experience working with several other retailers, I can say Target really does have one of the most competitive packages around. My only complaint thus far is that their health insurance is pricey! i only paid $80 a month for the same coverage at my last job (pay was only 11/hr). You will see some reviews on here complaining about the hours and the weekends. Well, I am here to tell you that I have worked in the corporate world and you will work 60-65 hours a week there too, only you will hate your life twice as much. Retail is a comparatively LOW stress work environment (Target sells Toilet paper and floss, c'mon it's not like it's a brain surgery) Also, as an ETL it is rumored that you have every other weekend off. If you have ever waitressed, bar tended or worked at another retailer you know that this is AWESOME. If you aren't okay with giving up two weekends a month or working a lot of hours, the money will not be worth it for you and you probably shouldn't work in retail or recruiting.

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Executive Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in August 2011.

I received an email the day after I applied to set up a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was immediately passed onto the two face-to-face interviews during the next week and it was followed by another phone interview by the HR manager. The next day, I received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where you had an uncooperative team member.   Answer Question