Target

32 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Target in June 2012.

Interview Details – Most difficult interview process I've ever been through. Very repetitive from one interview to the next. Long process.

Interview Question – Not difficult questions just the same types of behavioral situations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – One initial counter negotiation they agreed to and then cut off any further counters. Will not negotiate additional vacation / time off no matter your experience.

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – I had my first interview with Target on my campus, and received a follow-up call within a couple days requesting a second interview. Before my second interview I was required to take an online test that took about 45 minutes, and asked questions that ranged from things like "what would you do if your employee was habitually late for work?" to "Martha, Jon, and Tim are sitting at a table, if so and so switches with so and so....."For my second interview, I went out to the Target headquarters, but did not end up being offered a position.I received an email 5 business days after my second interview that told me I would not be offered the position. Both of my interviewers were very friendly and professional.

Interview Question – They asked the situation-based questions that you can research online, such as "Name a decision you made in the past year that you regret, and explain why you regret it," and "Describe a situation that you were put in lately that allowed you to show your adaptability."   View Answer

Executive Team Lead

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Target in September 2013.

Interview Details – Met on campus with recruiter. Asked to interview that afternoon. Went well, lots of situational questions. Did not followup promptly enough with online test however. Interviewer seemed tired after day full of interviewing. Try to find commonalities and show strong examples of group leadership. Also the individual was dressed in a target shirt, seemed a bit unprofessional to me.

Interview Question – weaknesses   Answer Question

Executive Team Lead

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Phone Interview, two one on ones with store managers, last interview with District Manager

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 3 to 5 years   Answer Question

Executive Team Lead

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Lengthy interview process--can go through a recruiter, HR manager, District manager, Store manager before being offered. Many times, the position you apply and interview for is not the position you are offered.

Interview Question – They focus on previous leadership experience and how you handle difficult situations.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Target in April 2011.

Interview Details – Was recruited on campus at a job fair. After talking to a recruiter, I was offered an on-campus interview. There I did a first interview with a store manager who passed me on to "Talent Tuesday." I was then sent to the group office in Pasadena to interview with about 30 people. It was an incredibly long day, each interview took about 30 minutes. I met with another store manager, district manager and the group vice president and human resources manager. The first two were 1:1 but the last was with a group of 5 other people.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to challenge upward management.   Answer Question

Cherry Hill, NJ

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Target in August 2012.

Interview Details – It is a very lengthy interview process. I had 1 preliminary phone interview where the HR recruiter asked general questions; a second phone interview where HR asked specific behavioral questions (see other interview questions listed); and back-to-back face interviews with the Store Team Leader and the District Team Leader. Thought the interview process went well-I studied this site thoroughly-but I guess I was not what the company was looking for. Two business days later I received an email stating that they were pursuing other candidates. No feedback was given, which was very disappointing, but I will come back in the future and apply again. It is a great company, and the ETL position seens like a great opportunity to have for young professionals like myself, right out of college.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to utilize the opinions of others to make an executive decision?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Target in June 2012.

Interview Details – Disclaimer: I will tell you right now, this is a VERY long interview process. So, if you’re desperate for a job or not really that into this position, don’t waste your time.
After my referral, I received an invitation to apply with Target as an ETL and then a second email requesting that I take a personality/ intelligence test. These are not huge. Just be yourself and use your best judgment. I will give you this one hint though: you ARE in the top 5% of leaders. BE CONFIDENT. Now, the intelligence test is a different story. Tip: Google and calculators are your friend.
Don’t pay too much attention to learning about the company. Work in 1 or 2 facts to show you did your research. If you know anyone that works for Target DEFINTITELY utilize them. Go over the answers to your questions with them. Also, I don’t know if this is limited to my district, but most of my communications with Target were on Tuesdays. So if there is a week or two between calls, be patient.
About a week after I completed the aforementioned materials, I received an email to schedule a phone interview with an STL in the district which I was applying (I was planning to move to the other end of the country—hence the phone interview). Other reviews will talk about how all the interviewers are warm and helpful…not the case in my experience. My experience was in no way negative. All I’m saying is that all of my interviewers had really good poker faces, which made the experience a bit unnerving. I am thinking this is because they are checking your attitude and confidence in the face of polite adversity. If you get an interviewer like this, just continue to be enthusiastic and positive whether the interviewer warms up or not.
This interview was very structured, which can be hard. Basically, if you have any points to sell yourself that are not included in your 5 power stories that you will need to share, make sure you work them in the beginning of the interview before the 5 questions start. Once they ask the five questions, that’s all you get unless you can work selling points into the questions you will ask the interviewers.
Taking a moment to talk about answering the 5 questions: they are behavioral questions to test your character and conflict management skills. Give STAR (situation, task, action result) answers. In your answers focus mostly on what YOU did specifically in the situation and what the result of your behavior was. Even if it is a negative story—sugar coat it. Put a positive spin on it. Target wants positive leaders. Use the questions on this website as samples and pick five stories that you can use for multiple questions (prepare 2 backups for a total of 7 stories). Use stories that exhibit these qualities: courage, respect, inspires others, problem solving/ strategizing, driving for results, accountability, ability to relate well to others, collaborates, innovates, ability to manage execution, effectively communicates. Be detailed but try to keep it short and sweet. These people do lots of interviews and are VERY busy, be considerate and don’t ramble. Follow this advice and you’ll do fine. I am normally a pro at interviewing, but I psyched myself out for this one even though I am more than qualified for the position. I was so nervous I was trembling and I still made it to the next round. Like I said, just read up on this website and you’ll be fine.
Since I did not reside in the area I was interviewing for during the hiring process, I was offered to do skype interviews at a local Target. However, I did not want to take any chances and was looking for an excuse to go visit my family anyway, so I offered to make the trip up to interview in person. This worked to my advantage because they scheduled my last two interviews on the same day instead of having me spread them out (yay for my nerves!). **See negotiation**

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were given consequences for a mistake you made and tell me what YOU did to fix it/ how you handled the situation.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you had to change your leadership style and what the outcome was   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you came up with a creative solution/ took charge of a situation, they steps you took to tackle it and how it turned out   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you had to confront a peer/supervisor   View Answer
  • tell me about a time you had to represent a group in bringing an issue to a superior. How did you do it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I arrived 15 mins early, fully suited up. My first interview was with the HR Business Partner. She was new to the job and very friendly and helpful. She had a much more approachable vibe and was easy to talk to. I was almost back at my full interview suave, despite my nerves. She asked me what leadership was to me, and to name a time I made sure someone else got credit, which I had prepared as a back up story (Thanks Glassdoor!) Other than that, the questions were pretty much the same as before.
 Then, I had my second interview...This was with the DTL. She had the same poker face thing going for her as the STL I interviewed with but x10. Also be ready for the 60 second commercial! I was NOT expecting that and ended up babbling through it. My mouth got so dry I believe I may have accidentally spit a little on her. I was extremely mortified but I pretended like it didn't happen and just tried to keep my composure through the interview. I kept the energy high and held fast my friendly face even though it was not reciprocated. Thanked everyone for meeting with me and made my way quickly to my car.
I honestly was not sure if I was going to get a call back. I felt I did OK but it really could have gone either way Sure enough though, I got the call to do a follow up phone interview while I was at the airport. I think that was with the VP of HR. I'm told this is really just a formality and to make sure no one else missed something glaringly wrong with you. We discussed why I wanted to move, my strengths and weaknesses and when I would be able to start.
At this point, I was expecting the next call from the recruiter to be an offer. Not the case. The recruiter called me about 5 days later to ask me the same questions as the VP HR and because I had not yet gotten to speak with her. Thankfully, after almost 2.5 months of interviewing, I was offered the job. I enthusiastically accepted.

This is retail, sweet cheeks. You don't negotiate your salary (I suspect they have a sliding scale based on department). My offer was 48,000/year and I immediately said yes. From experience working with several other retailers, I can say Target really does have one of the most competitive packages around. My only complaint thus far is that their health insurance is pricey! i only paid $80 a month for the same coverage at my last job (pay was only 11/hr). You will see some reviews on here complaining about the hours and the weekends. Well, I am here to tell you that I have worked in the corporate world and you will work 60-65 hours a week there too, only you will hate your life twice as much. Retail is a comparatively LOW stress work environment (Target sells Toilet paper and floss, c'mon it's not like it's a brain surgery) Also, as an ETL it is rumored that you have every other weekend off. If you have ever waitressed, bar tended or worked at another retailer you know that this is AWESOME. If you aren't okay with giving up two weekends a month or working a lot of hours, the money will not be worth it for you and you probably shouldn't work in retail or recruiting.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Target in April 2012.

Interview Details – They are looking for specific type of person. Research throughly on the company and the how they conduct their interviews. Research behavior based questions. Do a strong emphasis on your task and the result of that task.

Interview Question – Give a time you failed at something. How did you correct it?   View Answer

Bloomsburg, PA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in November 2011.

Interview Details – Target had a bin to put a resume in at a career fair I attended. Got a call a few weeks later for a brief phone interview and was asked to do an on campus interview. I got interviewed by two people who were very nice. Was asked similar behavior questions that appear on this website. Never heard back from them.

Interview Question – What was a time you faced a difficult decision   Answer Question

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!