Target

Average Difficulty
32 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Athens, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Target in July 2011.

Interview Details – Everything about the interview process was as described...after final the 4th interview I was offered a position at the Athens store...however after bein offered the position a decision was made by target to go in a different direction...this did not bother as much as the way the news was delivered to me...I received an automated email at 5 in the morning to inform me of the decision...the decision to email me this news after bein offered the position in person to me felt like a slap in the face...other than that I have no problems with the company very professional up until the last interaction

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were challenged to go above an beyond what was asked of you at your previous place of employment.   View Answer
  • Walk me through a task from beginning to end in which you took the initiative to the lead the operation   View Answer

Chicago, IL

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in August 2011.

Interview Details – I received an email the day after I applied to set up a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was immediately passed onto the two face-to-face interviews during the next week and it was followed by another phone interview by the HR manager. The next day, I received an offer.

Interview Question – Explain a time where you had an uncooperative team member.   Answer Question

Buena Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in May 2010.

Interview Details – I have not yet gone to second interview but first interview was by phone and then I was scheduled for a 1:1 interview two days later and then called the next day to do a third interview the day after that... I was told that it was a three step interview process and that there would be two more interviews. So four interviews total? Or maybe the last one is just when they hire you...? The first interview was based all on questions involving experiences that I have had in both work and school. Be concise and take the time to think through your answers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were assigned a project and had to see it through to the end...   Answer Question
  • What are some areas that you could improve?   Answer Question

Des Moines, IA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Target in March 2010.

Interview Details – My first interview was with a college recruiter. It was initially a group interview, but the other person did not show up. The first interview went well. The recruiter was in his mid twenties, very friendly and casual. He asked questions regarding my leadership abilities and other situational questions. I felt that interview went fairly well.
I got a call a week later from him saying that they wanted me to come in for a second interview at Target's regional headquarters (ie a little building behind one of the stores). That interview was scheduled for a month later. I went in to the interview and had to wait about 10 minutes for the regional manager to begin the interview. She asked very similar situational questions, but all were about negative experiences. I could tell that she was losing interest in the interview because I would answer one of her questions that she had pre-written, and she would ask me a very similar question after I answered the previous one. She was overall very friendly, but I could tell that I was not what she was looking for.

Savannah, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at Target in July 2009.

Interview Details – First you apply online at the Target website. If you find a job that you are qualified for and your application makes it past "the machine". Then someone contacts you and sets up a really quick impersonal phone interview where they only check to see if you meet the minimum requirements. This phone interview takes maybe 5 -10 minutes. Then they send you online job assessment that asks you the standard personalty questions that everyone already knows. Next they give you the aptitude part which is timed internally. This part is word problem and math heavy so know your stuff. It is very similar to the LSAT. If you pass that, someone will contact you, probably a recruiter and then the phone interview process begins, or it may be in person. You will interview with the recruiter, then an ETL, 3 store managers, then the district manager, and then probably the district again with the HR head. Make it here and you will be given an offer. Be ready to answer questions like "Tell me of a time you had to deliver bad news to your boss" And also make your answer like this= what happened, how you overcame the problem, and what was the result. Another Q "Describe a situation where you disagreed with someone on a project and what the result was". "What brought you to Target as opposed to other organizations."

Reason for Declining – After working in the distribution industry for 7 years, I felt it was time for growth in another direction. Given my skill set and work ethic (which is phenomenal) I decided to not accept a distribution position from Target, a position which they were not willing to budge on. Also, my many many many many high level contacts within Target explain how the company is too focused on profits and expansion rather than retention and solidifying company infrastructure.

Executive Team Lead

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Target in July 2009.

Interview Details – The interview is broken into 2 halves. Store managers are the interviewers. The first half is with two people in a small, dimly lit room. The goal is to intimidate, perhaps, to see how people handle stress in a confined space. The second is with two other people in a larger room that is brightly lit and more relaxed. It was at the end of the month and they have pizza parties so they kept me waiting almost 30 minutes while they parted in another room. Any nervousness I might have had was gone by the time they were ready. That means any excitement too, so I came across as calm/relaxed. With Target, you have to smile non-stop..fast fun friendly. You have to score 50 points on each interview. Beware, because if they think you don't smile enough, this will count against your total points. If you make it past this stage, you will interview with the DM.

Phoenix, AZ

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Target in January 2009.

Interview Details – 1st interview: was one on one more like a get-to-know-you

2nd interview: was one on one with many behavioral based questions

3rd interview: was with 2 people and were also a set of behavioral based questions

Completed a leadership assessment quiz

Completed a drug test within 24 hours of the offer

Interview Question – I honestly can't remember any specific questions, it was 6 months ago.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did try to negotiate the salary, but they said that they had already started me higher than most new ETL's.

Executive Team Lead

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Target in January 2013.

Interview Details – The process was long but very professional. I found that you really need to be prepared for the interview questions. The online assessment is intense, you are not allowed to use a calculator or pen and some of the math questions are crazy. Very friendly from the recruiter to upper management. Did not like going through 5 interviews for one postion to be asked if I was interested in something else. Seems like they wasted my time

Interview Question – Cannot not use the same example within same interview even though they asked the same question twice just reworded it. Tell me about a time you had to tell your boss they were wrong   Answer Question

Executive Team Lead

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview and then was asked to come in for an on-site interview. This was a basic behavioral interview, and was not very difficult. I was interviewed by two people and had to wait two hours in between the interviews, which was a little frustrating. Be patient if you go into this interview.

Interview Question – Please tell me a time you faced a conflict within a team, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Executive Team Lead

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in August 2012.

Interview Details – I began the interview process at a walk-in recruiting event. I was given a number to call for the local corporate office and I was set up for subsequent interviews. Overall, I had three in-person interviews and one phone interview. I was also given an online assessment and questionnaire. The questions were mostly managerial and situational in nature. After I was given an offer, I was given a mandatory drug test to seal the deal.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when your boss had frustrated you.   Answer Question