Target Executive Team Leader Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

3.3

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in May 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through email. I would definitely advise anyone to get a recruiters email (go on to linkedin to find a recruiter) , if you are serious about working for this company. Contacting a recruiter seems to be the best way to actually getting an interview. Once I was contacted, we set up an interview time. So the first interview was over the phone. If you prepare, you will be fine. Make sure you also prepare yourself for the easy questions like "Tell me about yourself and Why do you want to work for Target". On top of those questions, the interviewer asked about 5 questions dealing with a specific event (i.e. Tell me about a time....). After the first interview, I was contacted that same day to schedule an in person interview with 3 different managers (district manager, store manager, and human resource business partner). My second interview was scheduled within a couple of days. It was the same style as the first interview. They may ask you the same questions. Don't be afraid to repeat your same answer. After the interview, I was told that if they wanted to pursue to the next step I would be contacted. Sure enough I was contacted a few days later to schedule my final interview with the big boss (market leader). My third interview was conducted over the phone and once again its the same style. I was contacted the next day and offered the position. I told God when he blessed me with this position that I would try to help people get to where I'm going. So my advice would be to prepare as much as possible with the interview questions that is provided on this website, research on Target, ask yourself what are your strengths/weaknesses, who are you as an individual (they really want to get to know who you are), relax, pray, and be yourself. A lot of people may say they are going to work you, well all jobs will work you but target will compensate you very well. Good luck and I hope this post helps you. It is an intense interview process but its quick. Process took a little over a week........ The interviewers are really really nice. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

I submitted a candidate profile online for this position and received an email from a recruiter the next day to schedule a chat. I talked to the recruiter on the phone for a few minutes about what the interview process would be like and answered a few general questions about why I want to work for Target and what I was looking for in the job. The entire process consisted of phone interviews scheduled through a recruiter at corporate. My first interview was with a store leader and I had a second interview with another store leader a week later. Two days later, I interviewed with the district team leader and 5 days after that I had my final, extremely short, interview with a group director. The recruiter emailed me about an hour after my final interview and set up a time to call me with the offer.

All of the interviews started with "Tell Me About Yourself" and then some form of "Why Target?" Then all of the questions were situational and needed to be answered with the STAR approach (Situation, Task, Action Taken, Result). There was time for questions at the end so I got to ask some things about the job and Target. The first store leader was so helpful and nice and gave me some great feedback on my interview. I had a great feeling about the interviews throughout the entire process; the final interview was only about 5 minutes and that made me quite nervous, but I ended up getting the email from the recruiter not too long after.

The most important thing during the process was being positive and rehearsing your answers ahead of time. I looked up so many questions on this site and others so I could be prepared with answers. It is very difficult to think clearly and answer questions with the STAR approach with no preparation.

I accepted the job offer and will be starting my Business College training after I graduate from college. I won't find out until a little while before I start where I will be training at and I won't find out the store I will be working in until I begin my training or even later than that.

Interview Questions

• These are all questions I was asked in the different interviews:

Tell me about a time you...
      -gave great guest service
      -made a mistake with significant impact
      -had a difference of opinion with someone but maintained a professional relationship
      -leveraged a team or individual to accomplish something
      -had to deliver constructive feedback
      -had to use active listening
      -had to take initiative to solve a problem
      -had to consult others on a decision that would affect them
      -received feedback you weren't expecting and how you handled it
      -changed your day to day activities because of a long-term goal
      -remained optimistic in in the face of difficulties
      -gave up a commitment to satisfy another

Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because I was offered what I wanted. The salary is very competitive.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Target recruiters came to my university and I signed up for an interview. Interview day came and I had 2 interviews in one day. My third interview was about two weeks later with the District Team Leader in Springfield, VA.
    The questions are behavioral. You are to describe the situation. State the problem. How you solved it and the conclusion. Think greater scope. BE PREPARED !
    I did not get an offer but I will not stop! In the process of reapplying.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about a time you have great guest experience.
      Q: ...made a mistake with significant impact.
      Q: ... had a difference of opinion with someone but maintained a professional relationship.
      Q: ...leveraged a team or individual to accomplish something.
      Q: ...had to deliver constructive feedback.
      Q: ...had to take initiative to solve a problem.
      Q: ...had to consult others on a decision that would affect them.
      Q: ...had to change your day-to-day activities due to a long-term goal.
      Q: ...remained optimistic in the face of difficulties.
      Q: ...gave up a commitment to satisfy another.
      Q: ...received feedback that you weren't expected and how you handled it.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a Recruiter. She reached out to be via email a day after I applied online on Target's website. Right after my phone interview, she schedule me to interview with a Team leader in an actual Target store. The recruiter was helpful in that she explained to me what I needed to prepare for the next interview. She sent me a detailed email with what kinds of questions that might be asked and how to prepare for them. If you have the right qualification, the process is quick!

Interview Questions

• -Tell me about yourself
      -Why do you want to work for Target?
      -Strengths/Weaknesses
      -Tell me about a time you made a mistake
      -What are your goals in the next 5 years?
      -Questions?

Executive Team Leader Interview

Interview

fairly difficult three step process where they asked behavioral questions. would definitely recommend doing some practice questions before or you will fail simple, make sure u know why you wanna work there and what u will benefit from it. this is a great interview process but is fairly difficult so make sure you do your homework.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target (Houston, TX).

Interview

Ridiculously long process. Over 5 weeks to do 4 interviews with one left to be scheduled. Some people on the hiring staff are completely incompetent in their ability to schedule follow up interviews. The people doing the phone interviews were 15 minutes late to each one and one did not call on the scheduled day. I had one hiring manager honestly tell me that the hiring system for target is broken. I am glad to have gone through this hellacious interview process because it allows me to see why some companies eventually go out of business or start losing money. More respected companies treat candidates better and streamline their interview process using competent staff. They dont disrespect high quality talent with delayed response times either. I plan on sticking through the process just to see how ridiculous it gets but would probably not accept an offer unless it was just absurdly good. If the interview process is this broken, imagine the rest of their company. No wonder they are hemorrhaging billions of dollars in failed attempts at growth. Thousands of people are being laid off from this company. Target is rotting from the core. I mainly interviewed just to test my interviewing skills seeing that I currently make similar money and was checking to determine my value on the market. Amongst all of the interview I have ever (which include difficult interviews with good organizations like Teach For America) Target's is easily the most ridiculous. BEWARE!!! If you are a talent individual consider another retail management development program. Target is a sinking ship. Target's incompetence does put a bullseye on its back and it appears that they are succumbing to the competition because they do not have the requisite talent, staff, foresight, or leadership to get the job done. Applicants/ Interviewers you have been warned.

Interview Questions

• Read the question the other replies have listed. They will ask you 4-5 questions per interview. No surprises. Expect to wait 10 days to 2 weeks between follow up interviews or speaking to your recruiter.   Answer Question

This is a sinking ship. Target does not have the foresight to become a long term company. It will go the way of Sears. The hiring system is broken, the talent is weak, the structure is bad. If you are a talented person, run!!!

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

Apply online, you'll be contacted about setting a time for a phone interview.

STAR feedback or bust. If you cant answer promptly in STAR, the interview wont last long.
    Have your "tell me about a time" answers ready to go and even then you'll need help.

Even if you generically answer in STAR, it's not good enough.
    The interviewer wont understand unless you actually say the words "situation", "task", "action", and "result".

Interview Questions

• "Tell me when you collaborated with another team to achieve a goal"   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target (La Habra, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Was very lengthy but they make you feel comfortable through the entire process. I had 5 interviews, one was an intial screening, the next was with an STL and ETL, the next was with another ETL, the next was with a DTL, and the final was with an HR market leader. They ask you behavioral questions. All of the interviews asked me to tell a little about myself as well as why I want to work for Target. They give you all the info you need to prepare for the interview, and after each interview, I was actually told, you're moving on to the next round so there was no suspense. They either like you or they don't. Once I had my final interview with the HR market leader, about 2 hours later I received an email from initial HR person with a job offer. Salary was more than what I asked for and the benefits were ideal. I accepted the position immediately.

Interview Questions

• describe a time you had to plan and execute a task and what was the outcome   Answer Question
    • why do you want to work for target   Answer Question
    • describe a time you had conflict on the job and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

If you want this job, read as MANY of these interview reviews on Glassdoor as possible. The interview process for the ETL position is lengthy and challenging (4 interviews altogether, all behavioral-based), but they are extremely quick to let you know if you're moving forward and to schedule the next round. You have a phone interview first with a recruiter (I contacted mine through LinkedIn - highly recommend), then if you pass that, you are scheduled for an in-person interview with a Store Team Leader and a day or two later a phone interview with a District Team Leader. If you pass those, you are scheduled for a final phone interview with an HR market leader (big boss). They are extremely expedient to let you know if they're making an offer or not (I got my offer two days after my final interview). This is an extremely structured interview process that is the same for everyone. My interviews all went much longer than scheduled (don't aim to do that, I'm just chatty and don't know how to be concise). I received feedback from each person I interviewed with and they told me what I should try to work on for my next round and what I did well, so that was helpful. I thought my last interview went terribly so I did not get my hopes up for an offer, but what do you know....
    The challenging part for me personally is not knowing what part of the store you'll be over until the completion of your business college training (6 weeks). In addition, the salary, while fair, is for a 50-hour work week, and I have heard from every single ETL I've talked to that they frequently put in 11-12 hour days. You also don't know what store will be your permanent home until the conclusion of business college, so there are plenty of things to make you unsure of whether to accept the offer or not. I verbally accepted, knowing that I want something to fall back on in case I don't get any better offers by my start date. That's the other luxury with this ETL position is that they are completely fine with you not being able to start for months down the road (I'm finishing school first).
    You get two weeks of vacation and three personal days. Full benefits package with a dollar-for-dollar 401k company match up to 5%.
    Again, for most college grads, the starting salary they offer sounds high, but make sure you divide by 52 and again by 50 in order to calculate your hourly rate. I have not tried to negotiate yet as I don't have another offer in hand, but may try to negotiate with them before my official start date if I find something else.
    I was also told by the DTL that you are eligible for a pay grade promotion pretty early on (3-6mos.) as long as you're doing your job well. All in all, it sounds like a long work week, but they compensate you comparatively well, especially for being fresh out of college.
    My advice is for you to read as many of these interview questions, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, behavioral based interviewing (situation/task, behavior, outcome/result), and be able to speak to your strengths, weaknesses, and where you want to be in the future, making sure that it is aligned to what Target can offer.
    I am AWFUL at behavioral interviewing, but I tried my best to write out my answers to as many questions as I could find - this was somewhat helpful, but only 2 or 3 of the questions I practiced were asked. Reflect on your most complex leadership experiences and be yourself. It's an opportunity for you to learn how to interview and for you to shine. Show them you rock!

OH! And like everyone else on here has mentioned, DON'T BE AFRAID TO USE YOUR SAME ANSWERS if they ask you similar questions. None of the interviewers talk in between your interviews so they don't know what you said to the last person.

ALSO - the cognitive ability and personality assessment are HARD. Very hard logic questions - I have no idea how I scored, but again if you're serious about getting the job, try to practice somehow!

It seems to be a fair process.

Interview Questions

• When you gave feedback to a subordinate, when you made an improvement to a process, when you had a disagreement with a coworker, when you made a mistake/failed, etc. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

I applied online through my school's job site and got an e-mail to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was easy. She asked me "Why Target?" "Where do I see myself 3-5 years from now?". Then I proceeded to the next round which was an interview with a store manager. He said that he really liked me and asked me the same questions. However, I was not asked to proceed to the round after that (he consulted with the recruiter who interviewed me first). I believe it was a combination of my lack of experience in retail and/or the poor assessment test. The assessment test was difficult.