Target

Updated Jan 30, 2015

3.3

770 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in May 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter through email. I would definitely advise anyone to get a recruiters email (go on to linkedin to find a recruiter) , if you are serious about working for this company. Contacting a recruiter seems to be the best way to actually getting an interview. Once I was contacted, we set up an interview time. So the first interview was over the phone. If you prepare, you will be fine. Make sure you also prepare yourself for the easy questions like "Tell me about yourself and Why do you want to work for Target". On top of those questions, the interviewer asked about 5 questions dealing with a specific event (i.e. Tell me about a time....). After the first interview, I was contacted that same day to schedule an in person interview with 3 different managers (district manager, store manager, and human resource business partner). My second interview was scheduled within a couple of days. It was the same style as the first interview. They may ask you the same questions. Don't be afraid to repeat your same answer. After the interview, I was told that if they wanted to pursue to the next step I would be contacted. Sure enough I was contacted a few days later to schedule my final interview with the big boss (market leader). My third interview was conducted over the phone and once again its the same style. I was contacted the next day and offered the position. I told God when he blessed me with this position that I would try to help people get to where I'm going. So my advice would be to prepare as much as possible with the interview questions that is provided on this website, research on Target, ask yourself what are your strengths/weaknesses, who are you as an individual (they really want to get to know who you are), relax, pray, and be yourself. A lot of people may say they are going to work you, well all jobs will work you but target will compensate you very well. Good luck and I hope this post helps you. It is an intense interview process but its quick. Process took a little over a week........ The interviewers are really really nice. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something.

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target.

I submitted a candidate profile online for this position and received an email from a recruiter the next day to schedule a chat. I talked to the recruiter on the phone for a few minutes about what the interview process would be like and answered a few general questions about why I want to work for Target and what I was looking for in the job. The entire process consisted of phone interviews scheduled through a recruiter at corporate. My first interview was with a store leader and I had a second interview with another store leader a week later. Two days later, I interviewed with the district team leader and 5 days after that I had my final, extremely short, interview with a group director. The recruiter emailed me about an hour after my final interview and set up a time to call me with the offer.

All of the interviews started with "Tell Me About Yourself" and then some form of "Why Target?" Then all of the questions were situational and needed to be answered with the STAR approach (Situation, Task, Action Taken, Result). There was time for questions at the end so I got to ask some things about the job and Target. The first store leader was so helpful and nice and gave me some great feedback on my interview. I had a great feeling about the interviews throughout the entire process; the final interview was only about 5 minutes and that made me quite nervous, but I ended up getting the email from the recruiter not too long after.

The most important thing during the process was being positive and rehearsing your answers ahead of time. I looked up so many questions on this site and others so I could be prepared with answers. It is very difficult to think clearly and answer questions with the STAR approach with no preparation.

I accepted the job offer and will be starting my Business College training after I graduate from college. I won't find out until a little while before I start where I will be training at and I won't find out the store I will be working in until I begin my training or even later than that.

Interview Questions
    • These are all questions I was asked in the different interviews:

Tell me about a time you...
      -gave great guest service
      -made a mistake with significant impact
      -had a difference of opinion with someone but maintained a professional relationship
      -leveraged a team or individual to accomplish something
      -had to deliver constructive feedback
      -had to use active listening
      -had to take initiative to solve a problem
      -had to consult others on a decision that would affect them
      -received feedback you weren't expecting and how you handled it
      -changed your day to day activities because of a long-term goal
      -remained optimistic in in the face of difficulties
      -gave up a commitment to satisfy another

Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because I was offered what I wanted. The salary is very competitive.

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Target.

The interview process took a few months for me. You interview for a general Executive position and are not told what exact position you are going to have until the last few days into your 10 week training. I have learned a lot of things about myself and my potential because they have developed me to a leader.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your strengths and your weaknesses.
      Tell me about a time when you made a mistake. What was the situation and what was the outcome?

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

I applied and was contacted by email to set up an interview with a recruiter. I scheduled the first phone interview online and was emailed instructions on what to anticipate for the first interview. Target uses the STAR method for interviewing (just google it). At the conclusion of my first interview, I was immediately offered two additional interviews. The recruiter also talked to me about my strengths and weaknesses of my interview and what the next executives will be looking for when I interview with them. My 2nd interview was also a phone interview with an HR business partner. The interview was the same format as the first one asking a lot of situational based questions. They are more focused on what you did in the situation rather than what the problem was. Don't be afraid to use some of the same examples you used in your first interview. The 3rd interview was with a District Team Leader who is in charge of overseeing several stores (this DTL had 9 stores). Again, same style of interview with similar situational based questions. All three interviews were extremely laid back and they made you feel comfortable. They are not about intimidating you at all. They want the best people they can find that fit in with their culture. I was called back to complete a 4th and final interview where it will be over the phone. They are very upfront with their expectations, how they feel you've done in the process, and where they see you fitting in.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time that you lead a project where you didn't meet an expectation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Target.

Contacted by recruiter via email, did an initial phone interview, was asked to complete a profile account and take assessment test. Then, I was scheduled an interview with a store manager. The process is quite lengthy, prepare well. All of the questions in here were very very useful. If you had leadership and retail experience you will do well.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about moment when you had a difficult time with a co worker   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

Referral through a mutual friend. My interview consisted of a phone interview with a bunch of situational questions. All of the questions I was asked were very negative questions. It struck me as a bit odd since it was a heavily customer service based position that I figured they would also want to hear at least one thing that I had accomplished to improve someone's or a team's experience.

Interview Questions
    • Please explain to me a situation where you clashed views with your supervisor, how was it handled, and what was the overall result?   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

Contacted by a recruiter and scheduled my first interview within a week - was very nice and really just wanted to get to know me - asked me a few behavioral questions and set up another interview while we were on the phone

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you had a different outlook as someone else but you came together for the same end goal   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

I had to go through 3 interviews; first one being on the phone and 2 in person. All are situational questions that are described as "star interview questions." I was asked what are my strengths and weaknesses, a lot of "tell me about a time..."

Just be relaxed. They are normal interview questions, but Target wants you to succeed. So take a big breath and just let your personality shine. They love personable people. I even had to ask the District Team Lead (big boss man) to repeat himself and re-word the question he was asking me because I was so nervous. He was completely okay with it and I received an offer. They did not tell me right away if I was offered the job or not. I had to wait a few more days for an offer and had 24 hours to go take a drug test. Once that came back negative, I was put into a training class a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you messed up and what did you do to fix it?   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Target in January 2015.

Got a call from a recruiter, and she explained the job further to me. Asked me to tell her a bit about myself and why I wanted to work for Target. This is a really important question to them. Lasted about an hour. I think I have another two interviews to go before I get an offer for this position (still had to select if I got an offer or not).

Interview Questions
    • Nothing particularly difficult, just situation-based questions...
      Tell me a time when you..... delivered exceptional customer service, or made a mistake, or used leverage to get a group to get something done in a timely manner. Really focus on the outcomes, use the STAR method.

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target in January 2015.

The hiring process is very lengthy. First you must apply online, then wait for a recruiter to email you. The email will state instructions on how to set up a phone interview with the recruiter. The interview last approximately 25 minutes. After the interview you will be asked to complete an online test. If you pass the test and interview you will be asked to come in for a face-to-face interview.