Target Executive Team Leader Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

3.3

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in May 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter through email. I would definitely advise anyone to get a recruiters email (go on to linkedin to find a recruiter) , if you are serious about working for this company. Contacting a recruiter seems to be the best way to actually getting an interview. Once I was contacted, we set up an interview time. So the first interview was over the phone. If you prepare, you will be fine. Make sure you also prepare yourself for the easy questions like "Tell me about yourself and Why do you want to work for Target". On top of those questions, the interviewer asked about 5 questions dealing with a specific event (i.e. Tell me about a time....). After the first interview, I was contacted that same day to schedule an in person interview with 3 different managers (district manager, store manager, and human resource business partner). My second interview was scheduled within a couple of days. It was the same style as the first interview. They may ask you the same questions. Don't be afraid to repeat your same answer. After the interview, I was told that if they wanted to pursue to the next step I would be contacted. Sure enough I was contacted a few days later to schedule my final interview with the big boss (market leader). My third interview was conducted over the phone and once again its the same style. I was contacted the next day and offered the position. I told God when he blessed me with this position that I would try to help people get to where I'm going. So my advice would be to prepare as much as possible with the interview questions that is provided on this website, research on Target, ask yourself what are your strengths/weaknesses, who are you as an individual (they really want to get to know who you are), relax, pray, and be yourself. A lot of people may say they are going to work you, well all jobs will work you but target will compensate you very well. Good luck and I hope this post helps you. It is an intense interview process but its quick. Process took a little over a week........ The interviewers are really really nice. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something.

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target.

I submitted a candidate profile online for this position and received an email from a recruiter the next day to schedule a chat. I talked to the recruiter on the phone for a few minutes about what the interview process would be like and answered a few general questions about why I want to work for Target and what I was looking for in the job. The entire process consisted of phone interviews scheduled through a recruiter at corporate. My first interview was with a store leader and I had a second interview with another store leader a week later. Two days later, I interviewed with the district team leader and 5 days after that I had my final, extremely short, interview with a group director. The recruiter emailed me about an hour after my final interview and set up a time to call me with the offer.

All of the interviews started with "Tell Me About Yourself" and then some form of "Why Target?" Then all of the questions were situational and needed to be answered with the STAR approach (Situation, Task, Action Taken, Result). There was time for questions at the end so I got to ask some things about the job and Target. The first store leader was so helpful and nice and gave me some great feedback on my interview. I had a great feeling about the interviews throughout the entire process; the final interview was only about 5 minutes and that made me quite nervous, but I ended up getting the email from the recruiter not too long after.

The most important thing during the process was being positive and rehearsing your answers ahead of time. I looked up so many questions on this site and others so I could be prepared with answers. It is very difficult to think clearly and answer questions with the STAR approach with no preparation.

I accepted the job offer and will be starting my Business College training after I graduate from college. I won't find out until a little while before I start where I will be training at and I won't find out the store I will be working in until I begin my training or even later than that.

Interview Questions
    • These are all questions I was asked in the different interviews:

Tell me about a time you...
      -gave great guest service
      -made a mistake with significant impact
      -had a difference of opinion with someone but maintained a professional relationship
      -leveraged a team or individual to accomplish something
      -had to deliver constructive feedback
      -had to use active listening
      -had to take initiative to solve a problem
      -had to consult others on a decision that would affect them
      -received feedback you weren't expecting and how you handled it
      -changed your day to day activities because of a long-term goal
      -remained optimistic in in the face of difficulties
      -gave up a commitment to satisfy another

Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because I was offered what I wanted. The salary is very competitive.

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Target recruiters came to my university and I signed up for an interview. Interview day came and I had 2 interviews in one day. My third interview was about two weeks later with the District Team Leader in Springfield, VA.
    The questions are behavioral. You are to describe the situation. State the problem. How you solved it and the conclusion. Think greater scope. BE PREPARED !
    I did not get an offer but I will not stop! In the process of reapplying.

Interview Questions
    • Q: Tell me about a time you have great guest experience.
      Q: ...made a mistake with significant impact.
      Q: ... had a difference of opinion with someone but maintained a professional relationship.
      Q: ...leveraged a team or individual to accomplish something.
      Q: ...had to deliver constructive feedback.
      Q: ...had to take initiative to solve a problem.
      Q: ...had to consult others on a decision that would affect them.
      Q: ...had to change your day-to-day activities due to a long-term goal.
      Q: ...remained optimistic in the face of difficulties.
      Q: ...gave up a commitment to satisfy another.
      Q: ...received feedback that you weren't expected and how you handled it.

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

I applied online through my school's job site and got an e-mail to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was easy. She asked me "Why Target?" "Where do I see myself 3-5 years from now?". Then I proceeded to the next round which was an interview with a store manager. He said that he really liked me and asked me the same questions. However, I was not asked to proceed to the round after that (he consulted with the recruiter who interviewed me first). I believe it was a combination of my lack of experience in retail and/or the poor assessment test. The assessment test was difficult.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Target.

I had a phone interview. He was super nice, and polite. Found a time that worked for me, and called almost on the dot. I met with Target at a career fair, they asked if I could interview the next day, but I said I was busy, and they had no problem setting up a phone interview.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Target.

The interview was very long. Lots of rounds and mostly behavioral. You should expect to interview with at least 6 people. Get ready to answer a lot of behavioral questions.

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Four stages of interviews, all involving situation questions. Ie; name a time when... they wanted you to answer in the star format (situation or task, action, result). Usually a couple phone interviews, followed by a couple in person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to sacrifice something, in order to achieve your goals.   View Answer

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Target.

Campus recruiting interview process. Interviewed with two interviewers, one district manager and one store manager. Interview lasted for about 45 minutes. Basic Questions for the interview were asked: what are your skills/weaknesses/describe your leadership/what type of leader are you. The interview was really easy and laid back. Target really is looking for someone that fits their culture and can transition onto a team easily.Overall experience was great.

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target.

If you want this job, read as MANY of these interview reviews on Glassdoor as possible. The interview process for the ETL position is lengthy and challenging (4 interviews altogether, all behavioral-based), but they are extremely quick to let you know if you're moving forward and to schedule the next round. You have a phone interview first with a recruiter (I contacted mine through LinkedIn - highly recommend), then if you pass that, you are scheduled for an in-person interview with a Store Team Leader and a day or two later a phone interview with a District Team Leader. If you pass those, you are scheduled for a final phone interview with an HR market leader (big boss). They are extremely expedient to let you know if they're making an offer or not (I got my offer two days after my final interview). This is an extremely structured interview process that is the same for everyone. My interviews all went much longer than scheduled (don't aim to do that, I'm just chatty and don't know how to be concise). I received feedback from each person I interviewed with and they told me what I should try to work on for my next round and what I did well, so that was helpful. I thought my last interview went terribly so I did not get my hopes up for an offer, but what do you know....
    The challenging part for me personally is not knowing what part of the store you'll be over until the completion of your business college training (6 weeks). In addition, the salary, while fair, is for a 50-hour work week, and I have heard from every single ETL I've talked to that they frequently put in 11-12 hour days. You also don't know what store will be your permanent home until the conclusion of business college, so there are plenty of things to make you unsure of whether to accept the offer or not. I verbally accepted, knowing that I want something to fall back on in case I don't get any better offers by my start date. That's the other luxury with this ETL position is that they are completely fine with you not being able to start for months down the road (I'm finishing school first).
    You get two weeks of vacation and three personal days. Full benefits package with a dollar-for-dollar 401k company match up to 5%.
    Again, for most college grads, the starting salary they offer sounds high, but make sure you divide by 52 and again by 50 in order to calculate your hourly rate. I have not tried to negotiate yet as I don't have another offer in hand, but may try to negotiate with them before my official start date if I find something else.
    I was also told by the DTL that you are eligible for a pay grade promotion pretty early on (3-6mos.) as long as you're doing your job well. All in all, it sounds like a long work week, but they compensate you comparatively well, especially for being fresh out of college.
    My advice is for you to read as many of these interview questions, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, behavioral based interviewing (situation/task, behavior, outcome/result), and be able to speak to your strengths, weaknesses, and where you want to be in the future, making sure that it is aligned to what Target can offer.
    I am AWFUL at behavioral interviewing, but I tried my best to write out my answers to as many questions as I could find - this was somewhat helpful, but only 2 or 3 of the questions I practiced were asked. Reflect on your most complex leadership experiences and be yourself. It's an opportunity for you to learn how to interview and for you to shine. Show them you rock!

OH! And like everyone else on here has mentioned, DON'T BE AFRAID TO USE YOUR SAME ANSWERS if they ask you similar questions. None of the interviewers talk in between your interviews so they don't know what you said to the last person.

ALSO - the cognitive ability and personality assessment are HARD. Very hard logic questions - I have no idea how I scored, but again if you're serious about getting the job, try to practice somehow!

It seems to be a fair process.

Interview Questions
    • When you gave feedback to a subordinate, when you made an improvement to a process, when you had a disagreement with a coworker, when you made a mistake/failed, etc. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target.

The process takes some time, but the timing between each interview allows you to prepare for the next. The first interview is basically a screening with a recruiter who is very friendly and guides you through the questions and how to answer them. These are situational and behavior questions. I then had an interview on location with the DTL, but first they sprung up on me that I would be interviewing with an STL over the phone. This was kind of awkward since while I took the call I knew people could hear my answers and this made me very nervous. The STL was so friendly and did their best to make me feel comfortable. The in person interview on site was with the DTL. They were so friendly and really made you feel like they were just a person just like you. They do not do scare tactics when interviewing you. They want you to succeed. The DTL then told me at the end of the interview that I would be moving on to the next step in the process and would be contacted for the fourth and final interview. This interview was with the Group Leader. I had my interview rescheduled which was fine since it gave me an extra three days to prepare. This phone interview was just like the other ones, but shortened. This last interview was not the interview to ask questions and I felt that right away. These were all situational basically. The interviewer threw out a few curve ball questions, but nothing I didn't feel confident answering. I would told I would be contacted within 5-7 days. Day 4 I got the call for the offer and accepted right then and there!

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to sacrifice something to reach a goal.
      Name a time you had to leverage your influence a group to get a tasks time in a certain time frame.
      Name a time you had to collaborate with others to complete an important project.