Target

Getting the Interview

661 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – First interview was via phone with recruiter. Very pleasant call. She immediately set me up with a F2F interview at local store with store manager, followed by a web conference interview with regional manager the next day. I was impressed at how quickly they moved through those first few steps. Everyone was very nice, in fact possibly too nice because I left each interview feeling like I was a great fit - so was very surprised when I was later turned down.
I have to give it an overall negative rating, because I think a company like Target can do a better job than simply updating your status to "no longer under consideration for this position." At least type up a template email to send to candidates like myself who went through 3 interviews. Also, while the 3 interviews were scheduled quickly, afterwards it was over a month before I heard anything at all, and again it was only the status update on the site. I emailed the recruiter 2 weeks after my last interview to check in, and received no response. I know we are all supposed to feel sorry for the poor, overworked recruiter, but it's amazing how they have all the time in the world for you at first, but can't take the time to answer you after you interview.

Interview Question – I felt that all questions were pretty standard. Greatest strength, greatest weakness, "tell me about a time when" types of questions.   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – The first interview was very easy. Just basic STAR questions. Know situations and how you overcame them. The people were extremely friendly. Make sure to ask questions after the interview.

Interview Question – What is your biggest mistake   Answer Question

Interviewed at Target

Interview Details – Initial contact through a recruiter, first round a phone interview. Typical questions asking to tell about a time, or give examples of demonstrating certain qualities such as leadership.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you didn't get the results you expected.   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Target in December 2013.

Interview Details – Initial call was a phone screening, then moved onto an in person interview. With target, all their questioning is behavioral and sometimes a bit challenging in my opinion. I had prepared as many situations and behavioral questions I could have and was still taken by surprise during the in person interview. They were, surprisingly, very fast with setting up interviews. The entire process only took about 2-3 weeks.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you had to give something up to achieve something else.   Answer Question

Lincoln, NE

I applied through college or university and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Target in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter through my university. I began interviewing in the fall of 2013. I passed the first round with the recruiter, had a second interview with an STL then a third and final interview with the DTL. I was contacted by HR that I made it through all rounds and I would need to wait for an ETL position to open in my market. This took awhile. I was contacted by HR to setup a meet and greet with the STL of the store they chose for me as well as the DTL. I then had a final interview with the HR Group Director and an HR Manager.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you set a goal for yourself and how did you achieve it?
Tell me about a time you had to give unfavorable feedback?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – I applied through my college and was contacted in particular for my leadership experience. This is primarily what they look for in the early application stages. Then in interviews they ask a lot of questions about how you react under pressure, a time you messed up took accountability and etc. They are looking for motivated people, who want to be in retail and have an understanding of the margins. More importantly they liked to hear that I sought improvement in my leadership roles and accepted responsibility when I made a mistake. They want accountable people who can communicate, lead, and handle customers.

Negotiation Details – Didn't do much negotiating. Just accepted. They give pay preference to previous interns versus new hires so I know a few people on my team are paid higher than me but marginally.

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – A recruiter approached me at my College and urged me to apply for ETL. Applied on their careers website then was sent a cognitive assessment test. Recruiter called to schedule a phone interview. Later scheduled a face to face interview at nearest Distribution Center, or as they like to call it "DC". Interviewed with 1) a store manager, 2) a district manager, then 3) a Human Resources manager. I thought I nailed the interviews and the entire process but then didn't hear back for 3 weeks. Sent my recruiter an e-mail asking about my status. Never got a response. Another week later they finally sent me a generic "you didn't get the job" e-mail. Very lengthy process. Later came to find out that I interviewed well but lacked the managerial experience they were looking for.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you implemented a change in a group and what were the results?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Santa Cruz, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in March 2014.

Interview Details – it was formal setting and attire
 I had 3 ( different people) 1-1 interviews
2 in one day and the 3rd week and half later

Interview Question – it is in regards to critizing a co-worker   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in August 2010.

Interview Details – Three interviews. First interview is by the store team leader. Here he/she will ask you a few traditional questions, then they will go right into behavioral base questions. Target is searching to see if you are accountable, coachable, adaptable, and if you take the right steps to get a positive outcome.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time after completing a task or project that you realize you made a mistake and what did you do?   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in February 2014.

Interview Details – Met a recruiter, who was also a store team leader, at a college job fair. Gave him my resume and explained how interested I was. Received an email two days later asking for an interview on campus with an store team leader. Got a phone call the next day to begin the next round of interviews, I also had to take an online assessment at this time (some questions are very difficult, so be prepared). Next, I had two interviews at a target store with a different Store team leader and the district manager. That same day I got a phone call saying I passed the interviews and had one final phone interview with an HR manager next week. Two days later they offered me the position. Every interview had 4 situation, behavior, outcome questions, except the phone interview only had 3.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where something you learned changed a long-term goal of yours and how did your daily activities change to complete that goal?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate, I'm graduating college soon and was so happy to have an offer. Also, they are very generous offers/benefits, it didn't feel necessary to negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Target

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target Executive Team Leader interview questions and advice. All 661 interview reviews posted anonymously by Target employees and interview candidates.