Target Executive Team Leader Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

3.3

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in May 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through email. I would definitely advise anyone to get a recruiters email (go on to linkedin to find a recruiter) , if you are serious about working for this company. Contacting a recruiter seems to be the best way to actually getting an interview. Once I was contacted, we set up an interview time. So the first interview was over the phone. If you prepare, you will be fine. Make sure you also prepare yourself for the easy questions like "Tell me about yourself and Why do you want to work for Target". On top of those questions, the interviewer asked about 5 questions dealing with a specific event (i.e. Tell me about a time....). After the first interview, I was contacted that same day to schedule an in person interview with 3 different managers (district manager, store manager, and human resource business partner). My second interview was scheduled within a couple of days. It was the same style as the first interview. They may ask you the same questions. Don't be afraid to repeat your same answer. After the interview, I was told that if they wanted to pursue to the next step I would be contacted. Sure enough I was contacted a few days later to schedule my final interview with the big boss (market leader). My third interview was conducted over the phone and once again its the same style. I was contacted the next day and offered the position. I told God when he blessed me with this position that I would try to help people get to where I'm going. So my advice would be to prepare as much as possible with the interview questions that is provided on this website, research on Target, ask yourself what are your strengths/weaknesses, who are you as an individual (they really want to get to know who you are), relax, pray, and be yourself. A lot of people may say they are going to work you, well all jobs will work you but target will compensate you very well. Good luck and I hope this post helps you. It is an intense interview process but its quick. Process took a little over a week........ The interviewers are really really nice. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

I submitted a candidate profile online for this position and received an email from a recruiter the next day to schedule a chat. I talked to the recruiter on the phone for a few minutes about what the interview process would be like and answered a few general questions about why I want to work for Target and what I was looking for in the job. The entire process consisted of phone interviews scheduled through a recruiter at corporate. My first interview was with a store leader and I had a second interview with another store leader a week later. Two days later, I interviewed with the district team leader and 5 days after that I had my final, extremely short, interview with a group director. The recruiter emailed me about an hour after my final interview and set up a time to call me with the offer.

All of the interviews started with "Tell Me About Yourself" and then some form of "Why Target?" Then all of the questions were situational and needed to be answered with the STAR approach (Situation, Task, Action Taken, Result). There was time for questions at the end so I got to ask some things about the job and Target. The first store leader was so helpful and nice and gave me some great feedback on my interview. I had a great feeling about the interviews throughout the entire process; the final interview was only about 5 minutes and that made me quite nervous, but I ended up getting the email from the recruiter not too long after.

The most important thing during the process was being positive and rehearsing your answers ahead of time. I looked up so many questions on this site and others so I could be prepared with answers. It is very difficult to think clearly and answer questions with the STAR approach with no preparation.

I accepted the job offer and will be starting my Business College training after I graduate from college. I won't find out until a little while before I start where I will be training at and I won't find out the store I will be working in until I begin my training or even later than that.

Interview Questions

• These are all questions I was asked in the different interviews:

Tell me about a time you...
      -gave great guest service
      -made a mistake with significant impact
      -had a difference of opinion with someone but maintained a professional relationship
      -leveraged a team or individual to accomplish something
      -had to deliver constructive feedback
      -had to use active listening
      -had to take initiative to solve a problem
      -had to consult others on a decision that would affect them
      -received feedback you weren't expecting and how you handled it
      -changed your day to day activities because of a long-term goal
      -remained optimistic in in the face of difficulties
      -gave up a commitment to satisfy another

Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because I was offered what I wanted. The salary is very competitive.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Target recruiters came to my university and I signed up for an interview. Interview day came and I had 2 interviews in one day. My third interview was about two weeks later with the District Team Leader in Springfield, VA.
    The questions are behavioral. You are to describe the situation. State the problem. How you solved it and the conclusion. Think greater scope. BE PREPARED !
    I did not get an offer but I will not stop! In the process of reapplying.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about a time you have great guest experience.
      Q: ...made a mistake with significant impact.
      Q: ... had a difference of opinion with someone but maintained a professional relationship.
      Q: ...leveraged a team or individual to accomplish something.
      Q: ...had to deliver constructive feedback.
      Q: ...had to take initiative to solve a problem.
      Q: ...had to consult others on a decision that would affect them.
      Q: ...had to change your day-to-day activities due to a long-term goal.
      Q: ...remained optimistic in the face of difficulties.
      Q: ...gave up a commitment to satisfy another.
      Q: ...received feedback that you weren't expected and how you handled it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Target (Buffalo, NY).

Interview

Came in contact at school job fair. Interview was quick but rigous. Alot of give me an example of when you had great customer service or had a conflict Questions.

Anonymous Employee in Albany, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target (Albany, CA).

Interview

Simple and really want to know why you want retail. Recruiter was very friendly and tried you help you and make the process as smooth as possible. Very extensive process with about four rounds of interviews over the phone or in person.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a Recruiter. She reached out to be via email a day after I applied online on Target's website. Right after my phone interview, she schedule me to interview with a Team leader in an actual Target store. The recruiter was helpful in that she explained to me what I needed to prepare for the next interview. She sent me a detailed email with what kinds of questions that might be asked and how to prepare for them. If you have the right qualification, the process is quick!

Interview Questions

• -Tell me about yourself
      -Why do you want to work for Target?
      -Strengths/Weaknesses
      -Tell me about a time you made a mistake
      -What are your goals in the next 5 years?
      -Questions?

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target (Houston, TX).

Interview

Ridiculously long process. Over 5 weeks to do 4 interviews with one left to be scheduled. Some people on the hiring staff are completely incompetent in their ability to schedule follow up interviews. The people doing the phone interviews were 15 minutes late to each one and one did not call on the scheduled day. I had one hiring manager honestly tell me that the hiring system for target is broken. I am glad to have gone through this hellacious interview process because it allows me to see why some companies eventually go out of business or start losing money. More respected companies treat candidates better and streamline their interview process using competent staff. They dont disrespect high quality talent with delayed response times either. I plan on sticking through the process just to see how ridiculous it gets but would probably not accept an offer unless it was just absurdly good. If the interview process is this broken, imagine the rest of their company. No wonder they are hemorrhaging billions of dollars in failed attempts at growth. Thousands of people are being laid off from this company. Target is rotting from the core. I mainly interviewed just to test my interviewing skills seeing that I currently make similar money and was checking to determine my value on the market. Amongst all of the interview I have ever (which include difficult interviews with good organizations like Teach For America) Target's is easily the most ridiculous. BEWARE!!! If you are a talent individual consider another retail management development program. Target is a sinking ship. Target's incompetence does put a bullseye on its back and it appears that they are succumbing to the competition because they do not have the requisite talent, staff, foresight, or leadership to get the job done. Applicants/ Interviewers you have been warned.

Interview Questions

• Read the question the other replies have listed. They will ask you 4-5 questions per interview. No surprises. Expect to wait 10 days to 2 weeks between follow up interviews or speaking to your recruiter.   Answer Question

This is a sinking ship. Target does not have the foresight to become a long term company. It will go the way of Sears. The hiring system is broken, the talent is weak, the structure is bad. If you are a talented person, run!!!

Executive Team Leader Interview

Interview

fairly difficult three step process where they asked behavioral questions. would definitely recommend doing some practice questions before or you will fail simple, make sure u know why you wanna work there and what u will benefit from it. this is a great interview process but is fairly difficult so make sure you do your homework.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

Apply online, you'll be contacted about setting a time for a phone interview.

STAR feedback or bust. If you cant answer promptly in STAR, the interview wont last long.
    Have your "tell me about a time" answers ready to go and even then you'll need help.

Even if you generically answer in STAR, it's not good enough.
    The interviewer wont understand unless you actually say the words "situation", "task", "action", and "result".

Interview Questions

• "Tell me when you collaborated with another team to achieve a goal"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Habra, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target (La Habra, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Was very lengthy but they make you feel comfortable through the entire process. I had 5 interviews, one was an intial screening, the next was with an STL and ETL, the next was with another ETL, the next was with a DTL, and the final was with an HR market leader. They ask you behavioral questions. All of the interviews asked me to tell a little about myself as well as why I want to work for Target. They give you all the info you need to prepare for the interview, and after each interview, I was actually told, you're moving on to the next round so there was no suspense. They either like you or they don't. Once I had my final interview with the HR market leader, about 2 hours later I received an email from initial HR person with a job offer. Salary was more than what I asked for and the benefits were ideal. I accepted the position immediately.

Interview Questions

• describe a time you had to plan and execute a task and what was the outcome   Answer Question
    • why do you want to work for target   Answer Question
    • describe a time you had conflict on the job and how did you handle it   Answer Question