Target Executive Team Leader Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.3

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in May 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through email. I would definitely advise anyone to get a recruiters email (go on to linkedin to find a recruiter) , if you are serious about working for this company. Contacting a recruiter seems to be the best way to actually getting an interview. Once I was contacted, we set up an interview time. So the first interview was over the phone. If you prepare, you will be fine. Make sure you also prepare yourself for the easy questions like "Tell me about yourself and Why do you want to work for Target". On top of those questions, the interviewer asked about 5 questions dealing with a specific event (i.e. Tell me about a time....). After the first interview, I was contacted that same day to schedule an in person interview with 3 different managers (district manager, store manager, and human resource business partner). My second interview was scheduled within a couple of days. It was the same style as the first interview. They may ask you the same questions. Don't be afraid to repeat your same answer. After the interview, I was told that if they wanted to pursue to the next step I would be contacted. Sure enough I was contacted a few days later to schedule my final interview with the big boss (market leader). My third interview was conducted over the phone and once again its the same style. I was contacted the next day and offered the position. I told God when he blessed me with this position that I would try to help people get to where I'm going. So my advice would be to prepare as much as possible with the interview questions that is provided on this website, research on Target, ask yourself what are your strengths/weaknesses, who are you as an individual (they really want to get to know who you are), relax, pray, and be yourself. A lot of people may say they are going to work you, well all jobs will work you but target will compensate you very well. Good luck and I hope this post helps you. It is an intense interview process but its quick. Process took a little over a week........ The interviewers are really really nice. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

I submitted a candidate profile online for this position and received an email from a recruiter the next day to schedule a chat. I talked to the recruiter on the phone for a few minutes about what the interview process would be like and answered a few general questions about why I want to work for Target and what I was looking for in the job. The entire process consisted of phone interviews scheduled through a recruiter at corporate. My first interview was with a store leader and I had a second interview with another store leader a week later. Two days later, I interviewed with the district team leader and 5 days after that I had my final, extremely short, interview with a group director. The recruiter emailed me about an hour after my final interview and set up a time to call me with the offer.

All of the interviews started with "Tell Me About Yourself" and then some form of "Why Target?" Then all of the questions were situational and needed to be answered with the STAR approach (Situation, Task, Action Taken, Result). There was time for questions at the end so I got to ask some things about the job and Target. The first store leader was so helpful and nice and gave me some great feedback on my interview. I had a great feeling about the interviews throughout the entire process; the final interview was only about 5 minutes and that made me quite nervous, but I ended up getting the email from the recruiter not too long after.

The most important thing during the process was being positive and rehearsing your answers ahead of time. I looked up so many questions on this site and others so I could be prepared with answers. It is very difficult to think clearly and answer questions with the STAR approach with no preparation.

I accepted the job offer and will be starting my Business College training after I graduate from college. I won't find out until a little while before I start where I will be training at and I won't find out the store I will be working in until I begin my training or even later than that.

Interview Questions

• These are all questions I was asked in the different interviews:

Tell me about a time you...
      -gave great guest service
      -made a mistake with significant impact
      -had a difference of opinion with someone but maintained a professional relationship
      -leveraged a team or individual to accomplish something
      -had to deliver constructive feedback
      -had to use active listening
      -had to take initiative to solve a problem
      -had to consult others on a decision that would affect them
      -received feedback you weren't expecting and how you handled it
      -changed your day to day activities because of a long-term goal
      -remained optimistic in in the face of difficulties
      -gave up a commitment to satisfy another

3 Answers

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because I was offered what I wanted. The salary is very competitive.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Target.

Interview

interview was easy and fun. I really had a good time talking to the interviewer and it really made target appealing. I turned it down because I would have to relocate.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Target in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Saw the opening by a Career Services email from my university. Applied and got contacted about 2 months later (about a week after I graduated) via email. Set up an appointment time and recruiter called about 6 minutes late. I got contacted from a different recruiter from who I was supposed to be interviewing with. There were basic questions like Why about this specific position attracted you? Tell me about yourself? A basic dicussion about your resume. What threw me off was that after every statement that I provided the recruiter stayed silent for about 10 seconds. Very uncomfortable feeling. Another question asked was Tell me what type of leader you are which is something I was not prepared for. The one particular question that confused me was when she asked to describe your most proud moment of being a leader. After answering she said ok.... with a 5 second pause and asked is there another very prideful moment you can discuss with me. I was confused and the interview ended very strangely and left me a sick feeling after hanging up the phone.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Same as you seen on here, phone screen, tell me about yourself, why target, and 4 behavioral questions. PRACTICE! and ask questions! Ask about the position, and engage with the recruiter. My first interview was 7 mins and second one was 22 mins. It was two recruiters which was weird. The online assessment was HORRIBLE!! I guessed almost on everything and it was time consuming!

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had a disagreement with your supervisor but kept it professional?
      Tell me a time when you made a mistake with an impact?

Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Target recruiters came to my university and I signed up for an interview. Interview day came and I had 2 interviews in one day. My third interview was about two weeks later with the District Team Leader in Springfield, VA.
    The questions are behavioral. You are to describe the situation. State the problem. How you solved it and the conclusion. Think greater scope. BE PREPARED !
    I did not get an offer but I will not stop! In the process of reapplying.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about a time you have great guest experience.
      Q: ...made a mistake with significant impact.
      Q: ... had a difference of opinion with someone but maintained a professional relationship.
      Q: ...leveraged a team or individual to accomplish something.
      Q: ...had to deliver constructive feedback.
      Q: ...had to take initiative to solve a problem.
      Q: ...had to consult others on a decision that would affect them.
      Q: ...had to change your day-to-day activities due to a long-term goal.
      Q: ...remained optimistic in the face of difficulties.
      Q: ...gave up a commitment to satisfy another.
      Q: ...received feedback that you weren't expected and how you handled it.

1 Answer

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

HELLO FELLOW RESEARCHERS! I would like to start by saying thank you to the people who wrote about their interview experiences before me. Like someone said before me, I told myself that if I was offered the position I would too pass along the information to the next great candidate looking for help! So here I am offering the same great advice and my interview experience! :) The entire interview process took about 6weeks. I was employed while interviewing so I needed time in advance to set up my interview dates. I had some scheduling conflicts but Target was more than willing to work around a time that worked best for me. :))

First things first! I am a recent college grad (June 2014). After some research I found that Target was the company for me. I went to my nearest Target store and asked to speak to the manager in charge. I introduced myself and told her of my interests. She recommend that I contact the College Recruiter (they still help you even after 2yrs of grad date..AWESOME!). She gave me the recruiters email contact. I quickly emailed her and I was told how to apply and most importantly what area (district) to apply in. I would highly recommend contacting a recruiter, and to speak to target employees who can send you in the right direction! That definitely shows initiative.

TIPS: prep answers in STAR format (google for ex) to all the questions I will mention below. It is perfectly okay to give the same answers! Dress the part! Professional business attire. Have questions ready! DO your homework! Go to a store and ask to speak to an ETL and do an informal interview. Get an insider view!

INTERVIEWS:
    1st : (phone interview. ~15mins) - I was set up for a quick phone interview with the recruiter. I was asked "tell me about yourself, why target, what is your weakness, where do you see yourself in 5 years." Simple, quick, and to the point! I was also told I would be moving on to the next interview. She gave me more information about the position, and some great advice on how to prep for the next interview.

2nd : (in person w/ store team lead. ~25mins) - I met with a store team leader. The atmosphere was very relaxed and he wanted nothing more than for me to succeed. I felt comfortable and not nervous at all. I was asked - Tell me about your self , and 4 questions.
    - tell me of a time....
    - you had to take initiative to solve a problem
    - you had a disagreement with a person and kept it professional
    - you gave great customer service
    - when you made a mistake with significant impact.
    ASK QUESTIONS: ask how you did and what advice they may have for you (very helpful). I was told on the spot I would be moving on to next interview. I was contacted the following monday (because it was on a friday) to schedule for the following week

3rd: (in person w/ store team lead. ~20mins) Once again it was a pleasant interview! Very relaxed. My interviewer was friendly and energetic.
    I was asked : Tell me about yourself and 4 questions:
    - Tell me of a time you had to motivate/leverage a person or group to finish something.
    - when you have a disagreement with another person and had to keep with professional
    - when you have to use active listening
    - when you had to give someone constructive criticism

Ask questions! I was told I would move on. I was contacted the next day to set up the next interview. which was 3 days later.

4th: (phone interview w/ district manager. ~30mins) Very casual call. He was such a great guy! He introduced himself first then I introduced myself (tell me about yourself), One strength, why retail, where do you see yourself in 5 years, then once again questions.
    Tell me of a time:
    - you received constructive criticism
    - had to make a decision that was going to effect other people
    - had to take leadership in a situation

-Asked questions. Once again told I would move on. Lasted about 30mins. Contacted right away by recruiter to set up last interview.

5th: (phone interview w/ HR and another person. ~15-20mins) Same process
    - tell me about yourself
    - tell me of a time when you had to give up one commitment to satisfy another
    - when you had to reach a goal during a difficult time (remained optimistic)
    - Changed your day to day routine for a long term goal

I was told YES on the phone and was offered the job! I was in contact with the recruiter within an hour to go over the offer.

Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target (San Bernardino, CA).

Interview

Met the recruiter at school job fair; they were quick to set up interviews for me. First interview turned out to be 3 interviews in one back to back. Employees were rather friendly and not intimidating at all. After these interviews I was contacted to pass an assessment which turned out to be really difficult (math/ logic part); next I was scheduled to do a 3-hour unpaid job-shadow. I am scheduled to interview again in a week. Good luck everyone!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
      Why Target
      Time when I had to substitute one commitment for another
      made a mistake
      received a negative feedback
      improved the process

Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

STAR based method about dealing with co-workers, failure, and discipline. It was an average interview. If they say they are going to call or email in 24hrs to let you know about the next interview and they don't. You didn't get the job. They don't bother to let you know though.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to give constructive feedback to a person and they didn't receive it well?   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Target.

Interview

A lot of situational questions where it looks for your behaviors in a scenario and how they affected the outcome. One person may ask the questions and the other may be taking notes during the interview. Not a lot of eye contact or non-verbals from the interviewers so do not worry.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to control yourself from showing anger or frustration?   Answer Question