Target Group Leader Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.5

68 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Group Leader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

Met the recruiters at a college career fair, they were both very easy to talk to and nice. I had an interview on campus. Pretty basic interview, they asked you to tell them a little about yourself and then three behavior based questions (tell me about a time....). They made you feel very comfortable during the whole process. Really seems like a fun and good company to work for.

Interview Questions
  • Not super difficult but they asked to tell them about a time you disagreed with a colleague/classmate and how you handled the situation. Use the STAR method to answer all questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Galesburg, MI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target in September 2014.

Process took about one week. Applied through recruiter, was contacted via email next day after submitting application and resume. Was asked to take online assessment and would then be contacted to set up a time for a phone interview. Completed assessment and then set up phone interview. Phone interview lasted about 30 mins, a few behavioral questions and the normal "Why Target" and "Tell me a little bit about your background" etc. I felt that the interview went well. Was notified 3 days later that they were pursuing other candidates. I think my supervisory background with another company scared them, I feel that they'd rather groom younger candidates their way rather than bring in someone with experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to juggle multiple tasks at once and were unsuccessful at completing all of them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in March 2014.

Process was quick, took about 2 weeks.
    had one telephone interview with HR, 3 interviews in person with senior group leaders and a final telephone interview with HR from head office.

Interview Questions
    • All were behavioral questions, can be answered based on STAR method.   Answer Question

Location and shift preferences

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Went through phone interview, then was asked to take what was basically a competency test. I passed even though I was preoccupied. I would not recommend doing this while working or trying to complete other tasks. Set some time aside to complete this.
    If you pass all this, they'll invite you to the Distribution Center for interviews. They'll give you a quick tour before you go through 3 different interviews with 6 people (2 per). Questions are all behavioral (Tell me about a time....).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when a member of your work group was not pulling his or her weight. What did you do about it?   View Answer

Group Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Target.

There is a series of 6 interviews in 4 stages. First two are phone based interviews with a member of HR. If they decide you are a good fit they will set you up with a building tour and a series of 3 interviews on that same day. The interviews consist of pretty standard situation based questions. Use the STAR format to answer. The final interview is also a phone interview.

UPDATE:
    After 8 weeks and a series of 8 interviews, I was not offered a position. I asked the HR Manager on my last interview when they will be hiring for the position I interviewed for and her exact words were..."That's tricky. We really don't have any openings at the moment but like to keep interviewing in case a position opens up". Target is actively recruiting on campuses and online for positions that are not open. Because of the unprofessional conduct Target displayed, I will no longer shop at their stores. To string candidates along for a lengthy amount of time for positions that are not open is unethical. Applicants for this position, please proceed with caution.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you made a mistake. Describe a time you took initiative and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Group Leader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Target.

Spoke to a recruiter during a university career fair where he told me to go ahead and apply via the corporate website but to leave my resume so he could select my application.

The first interview was a lot of fun and was primarily based on behavioral questions as well as explanations of past experiences.

The second round was, in the first place, comprised of a warehouse tour for a few hours in the morning followed by three interviews with two interviewers each. The questions were largely repeats of the first round but I was unable to express myself as vividly and effectively as I usually do (thanks to very little sleep the night before). Otherwise, it seemed like a very laid back place to work with coworkers of diverse backgrounds.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were very broad and generic. Examples include "Give an example of a time you exercised leadership" or "Give an example of a time you faced a difficulty and explain how you overcame it."   Answer Question

Group Leader Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Target in December 2013.

Very straight forward and pretty much everything the recruiter said would be asked...was. So there's no real surprises really. Tell them what sounds good and what they expect to hear in how your past experience builds relationships and collaborates with others.

They look for that "corporate personality" and superficial team player and if you don't like that type of thing, don't waste your time.

All of the people I interviewed with were good looking individuals...hmmmmm; very interesting. Most are hired on it seems for the off shifts...unless of course you're good looking. :)

Recruiter was upbeat type corporate "cheerleader" with not much clue about operations and made up a lot of things that were contrary to what was said in the last interview

Interview Questions
    • Really nothing unexpected. All questions pretty much as the recruiter had said. Got cut off on the video conference though which was unexpected.   Answer Question

off shift that would not be conducive to family life and being involved with kids activities

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Galesburg, MI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target.

2 Phone interviews then an assessment test. Assessment test wasn't too hard just be sure to have scrap paper, pen, and calculator ready. Think all the way through the questions. After that I did a virtual interview since I was in a different state then the position. When I got there no one was expecting me, the technology didn't work, then I found out that the interview hadn't even been scheduled with the correct location. I spent the first 25min trouble shooting their technology. Once the interview started (25-30min Late) there were a total of 3 interviews. Each was 2 on 1 and all behavior based questions. Before the third interview the technology failed again and when it finally started the interviewers were very short it was obvious that they had other things that they needed or wanted to be doing. Interviewers look down and take notes most of the time so you could totally bring notes with you to help tell your power stories and answer the questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you collaborated with someone outside of the company to improve processes and efficiency.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midway, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midway, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target.

I applied through college and I went through 3 interviews.

First interview: Two people interviewed me. They asked me 5 behavioral questions. The interview lasted 30 minutes. A couple of days later the recruiter called me to tell me they would like to move to the next step

Second interview: On-site interview. Three different interviews back to back, each of them with two interviewers. They also asked me some behavioral questions (5 each). They also gave me a tour for the distribution center. Each interview lasted 30 – 40 minutes. Long day…. A couple of days later the recruiter called me to schedule the last interview.

Third interview: A phone interview with the Group Leader director. It only lasted 10 minutes. He asked me one behavioral question and 3 or 4 general questions such as: my weaknesses and strengths, why target, leadership experience… 4 days later I received an offer

Interview Questions
    • All the interviews consist of behavioral based questions
      Use specific examples; have 5-10 solid complex situations that showcase your leadership ability.
      Tell me about a time when you made a mistake on a project
      Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision with little or no information
      Tell me about a time when you disagreed with your boss.
      Tell me a time when you made someone else a leader
        View Answer
    Still in the process

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lugoff, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lugoff, SC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2013.

The interview process consists of basic behavioral questions. They are really looking for people with good communications skills, so if you are a bit nervous if you stumble over your words they are probably not going to hire you. They hire from all disciplines, meaning any and all majors. History, English, ect... so do not expect to use any skills you might have learned in b-school

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you made sure someone else received credit...   Answer Question