Target

Average Difficulty
65 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Huntsville, AL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in March 2014.

Interview Details – Process was quick, took about 2 weeks.
had one telephone interview with HR, 3 interviews in person with senior group leaders and a final telephone interview with HR from head office.

Interview Question – All were behavioral questions, can be answered based on STAR method.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Location and shift preferences

DeKalb, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Target in December 2010.

Interview Details – Fill out an online application and complete a test. If you pass, then the recruiter will set you up with the details for the interview. You will do three separate interviews, each lasting 45 minutes. They will be with Senior Group Leaders, as well as the GM. All questions are behavior-based questions, so use the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action and Result) for them. After the interviews are complete, you'll get a short guided tour of the distribution center from another Group Leader. You should hear something in a week from the recruiter.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult co-worker. How did you approach that person?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, but they offered me above my old salary and it was a reasonable offer.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Went through phone interview, then was asked to take what was basically a competency test. I passed even though I was preoccupied. I would not recommend doing this while working or trying to complete other tasks. Set some time aside to complete this.
If you pass all this, they'll invite you to the Distribution Center for interviews. They'll give you a quick tour before you go through 3 different interviews with 6 people (2 per). Questions are all behavioral (Tell me about a time....).

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when a member of your work group was not pulling his or her weight. What did you do about it?   View Answer

Group Leader

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – There is a series of 6 interviews in 4 stages. First two are phone based interviews with a member of HR. If they decide you are a good fit they will set you up with a building tour and a series of 3 interviews on that same day. The interviews consist of pretty standard situation based questions. Use the STAR format to answer. The final interview is also a phone interview.

UPDATE:
After 8 weeks and a series of 8 interviews, I was not offered a position. I asked the HR Manager on my last interview when they will be hiring for the position I interviewed for and her exact words were..."That's tricky. We really don't have any openings at the moment but like to keep interviewing in case a position opens up". Target is actively recruiting on campuses and online for positions that are not open. Because of the unprofessional conduct Target displayed, I will no longer shop at their stores. To string candidates along for a lengthy amount of time for positions that are not open is unethical. Applicants for this position, please proceed with caution.

Interview Question – Describe a time you made a mistake. Describe a time you took initiative and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Group Leader

I applied online - interviewed at Target in December 2013.

Interview Details – Very straight forward and pretty much everything the recruiter said would be asked...was. So there's no real surprises really. Tell them what sounds good and what they expect to hear in how your past experience builds relationships and collaborates with others.

They look for that "corporate personality" and superficial team player and if you don't like that type of thing, don't waste your time.

All of the people I interviewed with were good looking individuals...hmmmmm; very interesting. Most are hired on it seems for the off shifts...unless of course you're good looking. :)

Recruiter was upbeat type corporate "cheerleader" with not much clue about operations and made up a lot of things that were contrary to what was said in the last interview

Interview Question – Really nothing unexpected. All questions pretty much as the recruiter had said. Got cut off on the video conference though which was unexpected.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – off shift that would not be conducive to family life and being involved with kids activities

Group Leader

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Spoke to a recruiter during a university career fair where he told me to go ahead and apply via the corporate website but to leave my resume so he could select my application.

The first interview was a lot of fun and was primarily based on behavioral questions as well as explanations of past experiences.

The second round was, in the first place, comprised of a warehouse tour for a few hours in the morning followed by three interviews with two interviewers each. The questions were largely repeats of the first round but I was unable to express myself as vividly and effectively as I usually do (thanks to very little sleep the night before). Otherwise, it seemed like a very laid back place to work with coworkers of diverse backgrounds.

Interview Question – Most questions were very broad and generic. Examples include "Give an example of a time you exercised leadership" or "Give an example of a time you faced a difficulty and explain how you overcame it."   Answer Question

Group Leader

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in October 2012.

Interview Details – Started with a initial 15 minute phone call with Talent Acquisition which lead to a scheduled 30 minute STAR format phone interview with same Talent Acquisition personnel. Based on that interview I was scheduled for an onsite (although would have been video conference if I hadn't been coming into town anyway). In this interview I got a facility tour and 3 interviews with 2 upper level managers of the facility each, including the HR Manager and the General Manager. Once I had passed this round of interviews I was scheduled for another phone interview with a member of the district team. None of the interviews were anything unexpected - everything was behavioral based and kept with the STAR format

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had a difference of opinion with co-worker or boss.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate. They offered more than I had originally been told the range would be.

Stuarts Draft, VA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Target in September 2013.

Interview Details – Called by corporate recruiter, scheduled phone interview for week later. Last 45 minutes or so, situational based, talked a lot about Target culture. Said they were going to schedule an onsite interview with DC in 10 days, but never head back. Sent f/u email and left v/m with recruiter asking for feedback, no response.

Interview Question – She asked why I would be a good fit for the position, not from an experience standpoint, but from a developmental standpoint.   Answer Question

Topeka, KS

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Target in May 2012.

Interview Details – Email reply from online resume submission. Brief phone interview w/recruiter from corporate, then scheduled 4-hour tour and chain interview w/3 or 4 groups of 2 each doing interview. Formal interview started off with a tour of the distribution center itself with an overview of operations and some discussion of how people advance in their company from many different areas.

Interview Question – Questions were standard, and I was told I would hear back w/in a week. After 2 weeks I called the warehouse who were surprised I hadn't heard anything.   View Answer

Galesburg, MI

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – 2 Phone interviews then an assessment test. Assessment test wasn't too hard just be sure to have scrap paper, pen, and calculator ready. Think all the way through the questions. After that I did a virtual interview since I was in a different state then the position. When I got there no one was expecting me, the technology didn't work, then I found out that the interview hadn't even been scheduled with the correct location. I spent the first 25min trouble shooting their technology. Once the interview started (25-30min Late) there were a total of 3 interviews. Each was 2 on 1 and all behavior based questions. Before the third interview the technology failed again and when it finally started the interviewers were very short it was obvious that they had other things that they needed or wanted to be doing. Interviewers look down and take notes most of the time so you could totally bring notes with you to help tell your power stories and answer the questions.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you collaborated with someone outside of the company to improve processes and efficiency.   View Answer

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!