Target

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Guest Services Team Leader Interview

Guest Services Team Leader

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online one Saturday afternoon and was contacted the following Tuesday and asked to come in for an interview the next day. I had three separate interviews in the store. The first and second were with Executive Team Leaders and the last one was with the Store Manager. After interviewing with the Store Manager, I was told that I would be contacted by the area's Head HR Representative for a phone interview. The phone interview took place the next day and afterwards I was offered the job and told that someone would be contacting me soon. Within an hour after the phone interview I was contacted by the store and asked to come in the following day to complete employment offer paperwork.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time in your past work experience when you displayed a "can do" attitude. Explain the situation, your solution, and the outcome.   View Answer
  • What would you say is your greatest accomplishment, or what skill have you learned that you are most proud of.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pay was negotiable but depending on experience. They have set rates that they can bump you up to if you have had so many years of experience.

Interviewed at Target

Interview Details – 2 interviews: first with ETL at store, second with DTL

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Tampa, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Target in October 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring and interviewing process was intense. Be ready to go to an interview at the drop of the dime and be ready to go at any hour of the day. It is a series of 3 interviews the first you are interviewed by 2 people in one day they will call you about a week later to set up the next review and same with the following interview

Interview Question – All of the questions are situational   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted what they offered based on the average hourly pay I had researched for the position

West Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in October 2012.

Interview Details – For an hourly leadership position the application is online with the general team member applications and are available based on each stores open positions.
The interviews start with a phone interview with basic situation questions, if you pass this portion they will have you come in for a 1:1 interview with and ETL followed by and interview with a DTL (district manager). The interview questions in all the interviews were largely situation based questions that they want a specific example drawn from previous work experiences.

Interview Question – They will try to get a read for your leadership experience and why you want to work for Target so be prepared to be specific with your responses to the situation based interview questions and know why you want to work there, what the company stands for, where you see yourself going in the company.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no real negotiation for salary they had already decided on the rate with no room for adjustment. They have a pretty set schedule for the leadership group with some flexibility for days off and closing schedules.

Interviewed at Target

Interview Details – first you are going to want to apply, online or in store. once you've done that you are going to want to call for the hiring manager to have them pull up you're application. once they check that they will call you for an interview. they will ask you about yourself than 3-5 work related questions. get through those and all thats left is the backround check and passing the drug and alcohol.

Interview Question – what do you think is going to be the hardest part about this position?   View Answer

New York, NY

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Target in February 2012.

Interview Details – My Interview process consisted of 5 interviews

First two were phone interviews, the stuff covered was

I had to recite line by line the companies i worked for on my resume with dates (so have it available)

what are your greatest strengths

what are your greatest weaknesses

why target

where do you see your self in 5 years

My next two interviews were with a Executive team leader and the Store team Leader

They were all behavioral based questions, your answers MUST follow this format
Situation -- behavior YOU took ---- result
they don't always have to be positive but if they are negative just state what you learned

ie. questions like TELL ME A TIME (they all begin like this) you didnt agree with a company policy, what was it and how did you deal with it?

And last interview was with the DTL, if you made it this far you should be good, he will ask some of the same stuff that was already asked and some new stuff but 100% in the same format.

I hope this post helps someone as much as a the other post helped me.

Good luck :-)

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you didn't agree with your boss.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no need, they are fair with there offer. It will be based on your experience.

Howell, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Target in June 2011.

Interview Details – I went to 3 managers interviews within two days. They all asked the same questions in a different way. Why do you want to work at Target? Describe a situation where you made a mistake.Give me a time when you participated in a team and did you guys achieve your goals? I thought the interviews went very well unfortunately they sent me a rejection email with no feedback. I contacted the HR manger and she was not very helpful. I was very disappointed especially when i do the exact work at my current job.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you had to mentor a coworker?   Answer Question

Lone Tree, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Target in March 2011.

Interview Details – It was an internal promotion interview. The one thing that I would advise anyone interviewing for a TL position at Target to do: Behavioral examples. Make sure you have a solid experience of behavioral examples to draw from - and make sure they have a broad scope, require effort, and are somewhat complex.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deliver great guest service. What was the situation? What was the outcome?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you had to take a partner to attain a goal. What was the situation? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation phase - they told me what my pay would be and I accepted. Simple.

Palm Harbor, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Target in February 2010.

Interview Details – The interview is conducted with a series of 3 different interviews in which the employer asks a series of questions and then writes down your response in their pamphlet.

Questions were story based, in which they were looking for leadership dimensions.

Example:

Tell me about a time you went above your core roles and how it impacted others.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had an irate manager/guest. Walk me through the steps of how you handled the situation.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you went above your core roles and how it impacted others.   Answer Question

Guest Service Team Leader

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in May 2012.

Interview Details – The first week I came in and did an assessment on a computer terminal in the store. The assessment had more behavioral type questions and a lot of math questions. Then I met with a team leader who asked about 15 behavioral type questions. After he decided he liked me, I met with an executive team leader who asked a few of the same questions. A few days later I received a phone call to come in the following week to meet with three more people. I had two more interviews with executive team leaders and then one with the store team leader. They were all very pleasant and it was a fun experience but I received an email a few days later just stating I didn't get it. I think it was because I don't have any actual supervisory experience, just entry-level retail. The position sounded awesome though!

Interview Questions

• What is a policy at work that you don't agree with and what did you do about it?   Answer Question
  • Name a time when you worked alongside someone to meet a goal.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Target

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target Guest Service Team Leader interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Target employees and interview candidates.