Target Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015
4,971 Interview Reviews

2.8

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in May 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through email. I would definitely advise anyone to get a recruiters email (go on to linkedin to find a recruiter) , if you are serious about working for this company. Contacting a recruiter seems to be the best way to actually getting an interview. Once I was contacted, we set up an interview time. So the first interview was over the phone. If you prepare, you will be fine. Make sure you also prepare yourself for the easy questions like "Tell me about yourself and Why do you want to work for Target". On top of those questions, the interviewer asked about 5 questions dealing with a specific event (i.e. Tell me about a time....). After the first interview, I was contacted that same day to schedule an in person interview with 3 different managers (district manager, store manager, and human resource business partner). My second interview was scheduled within a couple of days. It was the same style as the first interview. They may ask you the same questions. Don't be afraid to repeat your same answer. After the interview, I was told that if they wanted to pursue to the next step I would be contacted. Sure enough I was contacted a few days later to schedule my final interview with the big boss (market leader). My third interview was conducted over the phone and once again its the same style. I was contacted the next day and offered the position. I told God when he blessed me with this position that I would try to help people get to where I'm going. So my advice would be to prepare as much as possible with the interview questions that is provided on this website, research on Target, ask yourself what are your strengths/weaknesses, who are you as an individual (they really want to get to know who you are), relax, pray, and be yourself. A lot of people may say they are going to work you, well all jobs will work you but target will compensate you very well. Good luck and I hope this post helps you. It is an intense interview process but its quick. Process took a little over a week........ The interviewers are really really nice. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

I submitted a candidate profile online for this position and received an email from a recruiter the next day to schedule a chat. I talked to the recruiter on the phone for a few minutes about what the interview process would be like and answered a few general questions about why I want to work for Target and what I was looking for in the job. The entire process consisted of phone interviews scheduled through a recruiter at corporate. My first interview was with a store leader and I had a second interview with another store leader a week later. Two days later, I interviewed with the district team leader and 5 days after that I had my final, extremely short, interview with a group director. The recruiter emailed me about an hour after my final interview and set up a time to call me with the offer.

All of the interviews started with "Tell Me About Yourself" and then some form of "Why Target?" Then all of the questions were situational and needed to be answered with the STAR approach (Situation, Task, Action Taken, Result). There was time for questions at the end so I got to ask some things about the job and Target. The first store leader was so helpful and nice and gave me some great feedback on my interview. I had a great feeling about the interviews throughout the entire process; the final interview was only about 5 minutes and that made me quite nervous, but I ended up getting the email from the recruiter not too long after.

The most important thing during the process was being positive and rehearsing your answers ahead of time. I looked up so many questions on this site and others so I could be prepared with answers. It is very difficult to think clearly and answer questions with the STAR approach with no preparation.

I accepted the job offer and will be starting my Business College training after I graduate from college. I won't find out until a little while before I start where I will be training at and I won't find out the store I will be working in until I begin my training or even later than that.

Interview Questions

• These are all questions I was asked in the different interviews:

Tell me about a time you...
      -gave great guest service
      -made a mistake with significant impact
      -had a difference of opinion with someone but maintained a professional relationship
      -leveraged a team or individual to accomplish something
      -had to deliver constructive feedback
      -had to use active listening
      -had to take initiative to solve a problem
      -had to consult others on a decision that would affect them
      -received feedback you weren't expecting and how you handled it
      -changed your day to day activities because of a long-term goal
      -remained optimistic in in the face of difficulties
      -gave up a commitment to satisfy another

Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because I was offered what I wanted. The salary is very competitive.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Target recruiters came to my university and I signed up for an interview. Interview day came and I had 2 interviews in one day. My third interview was about two weeks later with the District Team Leader in Springfield, VA.
    The questions are behavioral. You are to describe the situation. State the problem. How you solved it and the conclusion. Think greater scope. BE PREPARED !
    I did not get an offer but I will not stop! In the process of reapplying.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about a time you have great guest experience.
      Q: ...made a mistake with significant impact.
      Q: ... had a difference of opinion with someone but maintained a professional relationship.
      Q: ...leveraged a team or individual to accomplish something.
      Q: ...had to deliver constructive feedback.
      Q: ...had to take initiative to solve a problem.
      Q: ...had to consult others on a decision that would affect them.
      Q: ...had to change your day-to-day activities due to a long-term goal.
      Q: ...remained optimistic in the face of difficulties.
      Q: ...gave up a commitment to satisfy another.
      Q: ...received feedback that you weren't expected and how you handled it.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

They had me watch a short video and then I waited for someone to interview me. They asked normal questions. The questions were about different situations and then about myself. The interview is fine as long as you don't freeze up like me.

Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Applied online as a part time/seasonal. Got a call 2 weeks later. During the phone conversation, was asked a few questions about my cashiering experience if I had any, and was told on the phone about the hourly wages and schedule commitment of at least 20 hours a week in which they asked if I was still interested in the job. I said I was and they scheduled an in-person interview that same week. During the inperson interview I was given a situational test to fill out before the interview. Afterwards, had my first interview with the cashier lead. From there had an interview with the manager. They noticed I had a really good tech background so they started to ask me questions about technology. I then had a 3rd interview with the lead from the electronics dept. After that I watched a video about working in the store. Afterwards had a last interview with the pervious manager again about the video and a few extra questions. I was then sent to meet up with the HR manager and was then offered a position on the spot for their electronics department or cashiering--whatever I wanted to do more. I ended up taking the electronics because it was more up my alley and has a higher pay. Overall, a very great experience. Had about 15 questions asked from me, almost all scenario based. Everyone was really friendly and

Interview Questions

• What would a previous supervisor/manager/teacher say are your best traits? What traits can you improve on?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you needed to prioritize a lot of different things and how did you manage it   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you went above and beyond for someone   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you're attitude changed the difference in a group of people or in a team   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you needed to stick up for yourself   Answer Question

Merchandise Planning Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Target (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Went through the referral hiring process. Had one get to know you interview and the second was behavioral based questions. Along with the second interview was a personality and quantitative assessment. You must pass the second interview and both assessments in order to get the last two interviews, which is an all day event at their Corporate headquarters. This consisted of a Business Analyst panel, networking with BA's and Buyers, two interviews with Buyers, and a tour. It takes up to three weeks to hear back.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you gave someone advice or feedback.   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

The process started with a brief phone interview where they asked some basic questions and then scheduled an in person interview. After the first in person interview, they scheduled me for one more interview with them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you made a mistake, and what you did about it afterwords.   Answer Question

Pharmacist Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Interview is a great way to learn about company. There is a telephone interview and an in person one. Must be prepared by providing examples. I think that the process is vigorous and i would recommend applying to this company.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target (Bellevue, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied at an in-store kiosk that consisted of a pretty lengthy questionnaire, and was called a few days later to schedule an interview. Upon arriving I was again directed to the kiosk for a secondary questionnaire that was much shorter before an in-person interview.

The manager who interviewed me was very friendly, and the questions were pretty typical. Some did require specific examples where you have demonstrated certain traits, like leadership, but nothing too difficult. After this interview I was directed to go watch a recruitment video of sorts before I had another interview with a different person.

The second interview was very similar to the first, also requiring specific examples from my life. They also asked what I learned about target from the video, so try to at least pay attention enough to have an answer for that.

After all this (the whole process took around an hour with waiting time between interviews), I was directed to HR and hired on the spot. Overall the interviewing process was more lengthy than difficult. Just try to come across positive and energetic.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable selling Target Red Cards?   Answer Question
    • What would you consider your greatest strength and weakness?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you had to explain something new to a person.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you had to convince your coworkers/classmates to continue working.   Answer Question
    • Name a time you exceeded someone else's expectations.   Answer Question
    • Name a time in your life you had to prioritize between multiple tasks and how it worked out.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time something prevented you from completing a task and how you worked through it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was given a change to negotiate but didn't take it.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a Recruiter. She reached out to be via email a day after I applied online on Target's website. Right after my phone interview, she schedule me to interview with a Team leader in an actual Target store. The recruiter was helpful in that she explained to me what I needed to prepare for the next interview. She sent me a detailed email with what kinds of questions that might be asked and how to prepare for them. If you have the right qualification, the process is quick!

Interview Questions

• -Tell me about yourself
      -Why do you want to work for Target?
      -Strengths/Weaknesses
      -Tell me about a time you made a mistake
      -What are your goals in the next 5 years?
      -Questions?