Target

Getting the Interview

3,621 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

McKinney, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in November 2012.

Interview Details – easy interview, customer service oriented questions,

Negotiation Details – only an hourly position

Sales Attendant, Cart Attendant, Cashier Interview

Louisville, KY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in March 2010.

Interview Details – Very simple. I filled out a questionnaire then had a single interview to get the job.

Interview Question – All the questions we're amazingly basic. Was my first job so most of the questions were not applicable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – First there is 30 minute phone interview. Then you have two different face to face interviews on the same day with District Staff. Two people in each interview (one took notes, the other conducting the interview). Process lasted about 2 hours.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you made a mistake. What did you do?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fargo, ND

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in June 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewed with two managers. Their questions were strait forward and had built in places to elaborate. For example they did not just ask "what is a time where you balanced a lot at once?; instead, they asked give and example of a time..., what did you do...., what was the result? Very low key interview.

Interview Question – It was a strait forward interview.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Other opprotunities

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – 1st: apply online
2nd: they'll call if you meet qualifications
3rd: 1 st interview is with the Team Leader over the phone (Target just started doing this about two years ago, I think it was a horrible idea, it's very informal and not personal at all!)
4th: If team leader likes the phone conversation, they'll call you in for a second interview (in person) with their Executive Team Leader.
5th: If the ETL likes you, HR clerical will come out and give you a job offer (at this time you are offered pay rate)
6th: required drug test within 24hours (if not taken within the time frame, you will be disqualified from the position)
7th: once drug test passes, than you are called in for orientation. (about an 8 hours day/paid with the last 2-3 hours of shadow cashier training)

Interview Question – Their interview questions are all "Tell me about a time" They want to know specifics: what was the Situation, What you did about it, and what was the outcome (Bonus: tell them what you learned from this situation) is how most target employers like you to answer their questions.

Most Difficult Question for a entry level candidate: Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a peer and what did you do to solve that disagreement (not an exact question, can't really remember any but questions are something similar).

Another question that candidates seem to find difficult (which is actually simple) What are your good qualities and what do you need to improve on? (do not say you do not have anything to improcve; everyone does!)

Brentwood, TN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in March 2014.

Interview Details – I received a brief phone interview on why I wanted to work for Target. Next step was to complete a drug test and wait for an orientation. There was no structure as I was given wrong store location for orientation and had to wait hours for to be seen.

Interview Question – There were no difficult answers. I truly felt as if I was in a lecture than an actual interview.   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied in-person and interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Long process. At least 3 interviews. Usally first two with people that are not qualified.

Interview Question – Tell us about the time you failed.   View Answer

Fresno, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – -Be at least 15 minutes early. These are generally tightly planned and tardiness is a huge detractor.
-Generally three interviews. If you interview with the District Team Leader one on one or with the Human Resources "manager" you're in pretty good shape.
-High energy in your interview is a must. Think cheer leader toned down to interview levels. You can teach a process but you can't teach a great out going personality.
-Each question is "situational"/behavioral, very "Tell me about a time..." like questions. Keep your answers concise Situation/Behavior/Outcome.

Interview Question – The unscripted questions are probably the most difficult. If the person is going off the script theyre either not getting what they want from you, checking for a higher level of understanding or potential, or if there are two people in the room they may just be trying to impress the person observing cause THEY are trying to promote.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Given my personal considerations I wasn't in a very good negotiating position. I was offered the lower end of the base salary at the time but within a few years I was able to make 50% more.

Alexandria, MN

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Target in April 2014.

Interview Details – They called me back a day after I applied and asked me a few questions and said they'd like to set up a phone interview, so we set one up for the next day. They didn't call me at the specified time, so I called them and we got the interview going. She asked me a bunch of situational questions like, "Name a time that you had to lead someone and how did it go", and "Name a time that you had a lot of things to do and how you accomplished them", and then asked me general questions about myself and the hours I'd like to work. Then she set up an in person interview. I went in and did the interview. They had me answer some questions (like they do on the online application), and I think the answers to those questions determine what job you're good for (if any). Once you finish that up, the interviewer asks you a few more questions ("Name a time that you were wrong and how you fixed the problem") and then some questions pretending you were an employee in the store ("What if a customer brought something to your cashier and it rang up as $19.99, but they swore the sign said $17.99? What would you do?") - I got that question even though I was applying for Sales Floor position.
Then they have you fill out a few things, and they tell you your pay, and then set you up for a drug test and orientation and you're on your way!

Interview Question – Name a time that you were wrong and how you fixed it.
Strengths and weaknesses.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Set price.

Pharmacist Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Target in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online. Took two weeks before a recruiter contacted me and set up a phone interview (which lasted about 15 minutes). After passing the phone screening, I got an 1 on 1 interview with a store manager. Took days to get another (third interview) with an executive district leader (interview lasted about 30 minutes). Two days later got a call from the recruiter and was offered the position.

Interview Question – How do you handle a team member who doesn't pull their weight around?
Tell us about yourself.
Why target?

Interviews for Top Jobs at Target

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target interview questions and advice. All 3,621 interview reviews posted anonymously by Target employees and interview candidates.