Target Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 27, 2014
4,052 interviews

2.8

Pharmacist Interview

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Target in October 2008.

My first interview with Target was with a regional manager in the city where I live. After passing that interview, I received an email requesting that I take an online skills test. The test consisted of problem solving, personality, and math problems and took approximately 1 hour. After passing the online test, I completed 2 phone interviews; the first with a district manager from the location I will be moving to and the second with a human resources manager in that district. Two months later I also met with a local pharmacy manager face-to-face. Every interview experience was very positive, and several managers told me that I would be a good fit for the company, but I received a "you are not a good fit" email two months later after several follow-up phone calls and emails. The interview process at Target is very flawed, in that the questions are very scripted (e.g. Tell us about a time when....and what did you do?) and don't allow the management to really get to know a candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you had a conflict with a coworker?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when things didn't go the way you wanted them to?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in March 2014.

it was formal setting and attire
     I had 3 ( different people) 1-1 interviews
    2 in one day and the 3rd week and half later

Anonymous Employee  in  Davenport, IA
    Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in September 2013.

I met Target at a job fair, and was invited for my first interview. Then I was invited and given a date for my second interview. Before my second interview, I was invited into Target for a "info and tips session" and a tour of Target's operations.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had to address someone's opinion in debate that were different than yours. How did you respond?   Answer Question

Group Leader Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Worst interview experience I have ever had.

Applied online and received a call from recruiter and after a few qualification questions, scheduled a phone interview the following week. The phone interview was really awkward as the recruiter would ask me a question, then cut me off while I was answering it. I figured I was blowing the interview, but after 30 min she said I did great and would move me to the 2nd round.

Scheduled an interview at the facility for the next week. Other candidates come in at the same time and watch a video about the position and take a plant tour, together. Then 3 rounds of interviews. All the interviews are 5 behavior based questions.

Interviewed by 2 VP HR, the DC GM, Sr VP HR and a SR GL. All in shorts, t-shirts, very informal, checking their cell phones, it was really weird how relaxed they were. The whole place gave off bad vibes.

VERY Stressful day, the whole process lasted almost 4 hours of onsite.

Family Nurse Practitioner Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Very stressful process. I phone interviewed with HR recruiter for 15 mins and moved on to next step. Was emailed personality/IQ test the next day. Three days later I phone interviewed with FNP and clinic manager(Pharmacist) for almost an hour. All questions were leadership based, only 1-2 questions were clinically-based or even related to the role of a FNP. After they asked questions I was given an opportunity to ask them questions. FNP struggled to answer the questions I asked ( ex. What are the challenges of this role/position ?). Got an email 3 days later saying thanks but no thanks. Weirdest, most stressful interview process I ever been through. Target needs to rethink the interview process for FNPs. You can't ask the same interview questions to a FNP that you ask to a Team Leader!!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to be creative while you faced major obstacles ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Superior, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Superior, CO

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Target in February 2013.

First of all, as everyone else has said, this is not a fast process! Be prepared to wait it out! I applied online kind of as a whim, and a month and a half later I received an email from a recruiter for a phone interview. I was still a bit iffy on it, but we scheduled it out for 2 weeks later.
    The phone interview is really more of a screening process and it was very easy. I was moved onto the next round.
    This was an in-person interview with a Store Team Lead. It went really well. I was able to build rapport right off the bat. The STL was super nice and actually made me want to work at Target. We started out with just getting to know you types of questions, then onto the 5 STAR questions you've read a lot about on here. I didn't feel like I did very well on the STAR portion, but at the end of the interview, the STL told me how much he liked me and how he thought I would be a great asset to the company. I felt really good. I was interviewed on a Friday, and on Monday I heard back from someone at Target HQ to schedule my next interview, this time with another STL at a different store.
    I did this interview on a Friday as well, later that same week. I really liked this STL a lot, she was very nice and she asked more follow-up questions, but I didn't feel nervous because she was very professional about it all and I could tell she was asking these questions for a reason. Again, this was the same format as the last interview: At the end, she told me more about the program so I felt like that was a good sign. I left and was feeling confident and excited about the position.
    The following Wednesday I heard back, to schedule an interview with the District Team Lead. Throughout this process, the STLs I interviewed with kept telling me I'd hear from the recruiter, but she never contacted me again after the initial phone interview. I thought that was kind of weird. The only person I heard from was the HR person at HQ. Anyway, this interview was about 2 weeks out.
    I drove over an hour to do this interview, and it was early in the morning, and I was getting sick! But I really wanted the job so I figured it was worth it. An employee walked me back to the district office, and from there, the DTL's receptionist gave me some drug testing paperwork to sign. I thought it was a good sign. However, as soon as I met the DTL I could tell he had written me off. He didn't seem at all interested in what I had to say and he didn't even bother writing down some of my answers. I knew they were doing a lot of interviews that day, but I was a bit put off. I know I didn't interview at the best level I could because he wouldn't even make eye contact with me. This format was similar, introductory questions and then the 5 STAR questions. However I was very uncomfortable the whole time and I knew he didn't even want to talk to me. I was rushed out the door after 10 minutes.
    I knew after that I probably wouldn't get the job, and a week later I got the typical rejection email. I was a bit disappointed after having such positive experiences with the STLs that the DTL treated me with no respect. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't get the job because I would've had to move to a state where there isn't much of anything, and I also got a job offer from a company for a position I feel more qualified for. I'm not sure why I was written off so quickly by the DTL; it could have been my lack of formal work experience. I'm glad I went through the process though because having to answer that many questions forces you to come up with creative answers.
    I think as long as you are qualified, and friendly and bubbly (it is retail), then you will do great! Be patient and good luck!

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions are "Tell me about a time when..." and very open ended, leaving you room to answer creatively. You can get a good idea of what will be asked by going through this site!   Answer Question

Executive Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Target in February 2013.

I noticed that Target was going to be at my campus' career fair. I went ahead and submitted by resume the night before, and met with a recruiter at the career fair. Recruiter was okay, he asked for another copy of my resume. Received an offer for an on-campus interview the following Monday.

The interview was with a store team leader and executive team leader of human resources. The store leader did most of the talking, the ETL just wrote down my responses.

The STL didn't seem overally interested in the interview or that he even wanted to be there. He read all the questions from the sheet. He stared at me or peered over his glasses. No feedback whatsoever. While I tried to keep my answers short, about 30 seconds into my response, he would cut me off.

I work for competitor (a much, much weaker competitor) and he made remarks about the fact that I worked for the "joke of the retail industry." When I asked him what he liked about his job, he replied "Well, everyone likes target! I used to be like you, I worked for a company that everybody hated!"

I knew I didn't get to the next step because anytime I asked about the internship or what the typical day looks like he said, "Well you would have been doing..." or "Other interns will be doing..." Asking what the next step of the process entailed got me the response of "Well, you'll get an e-mail."

I've had several other interviews with other companies. Never as unprofessional as this. After reading other people's reviews, it seems this interviewer was the expectation and not the rule. I'm sure if I had another interviewer, I could have aced it.

Interview Questions
    • Why does your current company like you enough to give you an internship?   View Answer

Distribution Operations Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Cedar Falls, IA
    Anonymous Employee in Cedar Falls, IA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in January 2013.

Applied online. Phone interview with basic behavioral questions. On site interview that consisted of a plant tour and 3 separate 45 minute interviews with two people each time. A pretty strenuous experience to be honest. Each interview consisted of 5 situation, behavior, response questions to test your experience and behavior in different situations. They notified me a few days later saying I didn't get the position. They say you should go in there with 10 different examples of situations where you've been a leader and they're not joking.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you received feedback and how you responded.   Answer Question

Pharmacist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in November 2012.

There are several stages to this interview. First is a phone interview. Mine took about 30 minutes and I was asked behavioral questions such as "tell me a time when you made a mistake and how/what did you do after". Then, if you did well you were given access to an online exam that tested your ethics and math skills. Next is a face-to-face interview with two pharmacists where you were asked 5 more behavioral questions. I did not make it past this stage of the interview, but from what I hear there is another face-to-face interview with the district manager. Perhaps that is the final stage? Either way, the whole process is exhausting!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were given a task with little instructions or details and tell me how/what did you do   Answer Question

Food Cafe Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Metairie, LA
    Anonymous Employee in Metairie, LA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Target in October 2012.

Filled out my app online on a Monday. I originally applied for the basic retail sales associate position. Within two hours, I got a call, which was a five minute phone interview. An hour later, another call: would I mind coming in tomorrow for an interview?

Went in the next day. First in person interview was great. Woman was very nice, and it was then that she said if I was interested, she would consider me for a management position. I said great. Once that interview was over, I had a second in person interview.

Once that was over, they asked me to come back two days later. I did, and had my third in person, then my fourth in person interview. Every was great. But...they told me there was another process: drive 45 minutes outside of town to meet with regional manager, for fifth in person interview.

A few days later I drove out there. But when I got there, the secretary said there was a mix up. Today, he was in the city, at the target where I applied. So I drove back, and they wanted me to go to the fifth interview, but I declined.

It seemed silly to have to go through five in-person interviews, and a phone interview for a retail position.

Interview Questions
    • They asked the same questions over and over again: "Tell me about a time when you achieved more than you expected."   Answer Question

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!