Target Interview Questions

Updated Oct 29, 2014
4,282 Interview Reviews

2.8

Executive Store Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

They came to my campus career fair, spoke to me for several minutes before asking for my resume. After she viewed it and spoke to me for about 5 more minutes, then gave me an opportunity to sign up for an interview on the very next day. The interview consisted of all behavioral questions. For second round, you interviewed in the store you're being hired by by a district team leader. This person also asked entirely behavior based questions.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral- Why Target? Tell me about a time when you were unsuccessful and how you handled it? Tell me about a time you did something wrong and received feedback and how you handled that feedback?   Answer Question

Store Team Leader Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Target.

This position is typically only hired within. Executive Team Leaders are the position before. All interviews consist of about four before being accepted in to the position. These interviews are about four situational questions that you judge your leadership abilities in areas like communication, courage, strategy and relating to others.

I did not negotiate.

Administrative Support Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Target in August 2014.

I had a phone interview with the HR Coordinator for the Administrative Support roles. It was very easy, as it was a basic 'get to know you' interview. We spoke in detail about my past experience and there were very few, if any technical questions. It was a pleasant phone conversation overall.

The upsetting part was how she handled everything after that. They won't tell you that you aren't the right fit or give you feedback as to why not, they will just say 'we will contact you when the position we like you for opens.' and then never contact you. I followed up and got the same thing every time. It just seemed like they weren't being honest.

Target Starbucks Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

I put in my application online for a seasonal Cashier. They called me the next day asking I if I could work certain dates and I could and they set up a phone interview at 9 am in three days. They called me at 9:05. The phone interview consisted of normal questions. Like availability, Social questions, applied experiences, things like that. Then the interviewer said well I would like you to come in to talk to the ETL. They wanted me to come in late afternoon. I arrived Ten minutes early and took the online retail evaluation. How to handle a situation best choice and worst choice. Then The ECL came out and took me to in interviewing room. I watched about a ten-minute video about target. Then he came back in and asked me to tell him what I learned from the video. Then we went over availability. Then I was asked questions, which I provided, relate able experiences for. Then he asked me if I would be interested in working as a barista in there Starbucks. I have the experience and I love coffee and tea so I said of course. Then because it is a super target, they have different ECL's for different departments. Therefore, the ECL for the food side came in asked me some questions. He was surprised I knew some coffee lingo. Then the Head ECL came in asked me more questions along the same lines. He went to talk to both ECL's came back in and offered me the job, which I of course accepted. Moreover, It was not seasonal it was Permanent full-time. So I couldn't be more pleased. Everyone was very kind and seemed like great people. I know I will enjoy working here.

Interview Questions
    • What would be your biggest concern about working here?   View Answer

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

I applied online and was called for an interview 2 weeks later. The day of my interview I had to complete a task at a kiosk, but the questionnaire had a glitch and each question was asked twice. I finished this, and was then shown the HR area where I waited for my first interview.

The first interview was easy and just asked basic questions. But the interviewer did not know the position i applied for. It was corrected, but was a little awkward. He then asked me questions about cashiering and my experiences with customer service. He then asked about sales - i never stated interest in sales in my application, but I went along with it. Then asked if I had worked in retail before. If he would have looked at my application, he would have known that answer. He was not prepared for the interview, as the person who was to interview me was on break. He then showed me back to the reception area and i waited for interview 2.

The second interview I had to talk to the Executive Team Leader (ETL) and he told how they pushed the red card on all of their customers. He also told me that I had to hawk their new cartwheel app. I do not shop at Target so i just pretended to listen (if i get hired i will download it but otherwise could care less.) He asked if I had a redcard. I told him i did (which i actually do but that is another story.) That impressed him - if asked say yes even if it is a lie. Then basically repeated what the first interviewer asked me ten minutes before. Told me to have a seat when finished and last interview was with the store manager.

The store manager (Store team leader) was nice and again reiterated what was asked before with the other two interviews. They REALLY push those redcards. That was a little off putting. Told her that i would work where ever i was needed. I told her that i was able to work most hours and was available for all holidays when needed. Make sure to be flexible.

Was not offered a job on the spot but she said she would get back to me within the week with an answer. Overall it was an ok experience and everyone was nice. But was hurried as their were five other interviewees waiting to be interviewed.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you made a mistake and how did you fix it?   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Berlin, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Berlin, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2013.

Applied online and contacted a few days later by HR administrative assistant for an interview. You're interviewed by 1 person who will ask you a few "describe a situation when you..." questions. They then confirm your availability. They then pass you on to another person who will ask you a few more "what would you do if..." questions. If they like you they will usually hire you on the spot and have you go do a drug test and do a background check. If they don't like you they will say something like "we'll get back to you next week to let you know" and then you'll get an email saying they're unable to offer you a position.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you made a mistake and what you did about it.   Answer Question
    • You're working in the shoe department and a woman is looking for a size 3 shoe for her son. The store does not have any more of that shoe in their assigned location. What do you do?   View Answer
    Really not any negotiation. They tell you what they're offering and you take it or leave it.

Merchandise Planning Business Analyst Interview

Standard behavioral questions "tell me about a time..." They really like team and collaborative examples. Also, try to use their lingo as much as possible: "the guest", "she wants", "surprise and delight".

Interview Questions
    • they were pretty straightforward. They will definitely ask about a time of interpersonal conflict and press you hard on commitment to Minneapolis if you're not from the Midwest.   Answer Question
    No ability to negotiate for this role as they hire in large classes of people for the same role.

Starbucks Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

I had three interviews in the morning, they were very short interviews, but very long wait-time in between them; which is to be expected on a busy morning. All employees greeted me with a smile and a handshake as they introduced themselves. The first few asked situation-based questions, the last one hired me.

Interview Questions
    • Probably what the best impact I've had on someone else's life.   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orchard Park, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orchard Park, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in March 2014.

very easy to work with. do all to get you the interview, they talk to you and set it up. you need to be professional and have legit examples. they want solid responses. make you think on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • how do you specifically lead in a group where their were some barriers that you could not overcome?   View Answer

not in a position to accept retail type job.

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target in August 2014.

I was recruited on campus at a career fair. I spoke with the recruiter and gave them my resume. I was contacted about a week later to set up an on site interview at Target. I was notified a few days later by the HR department informing me that I had made it to the next round and that I would have an on campus interview. A few days later I received a call to set up a final phone interview. I was notified within the next day informing me of my offer. The interview process was very structured and I thoroughly enjoyed the process!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had an opposing opinion with a coworker   Answer Question