Target

Updated Dec 15, 2014
4,501 Interview Reviews

2.8

Executive Team Leader Interview

Was promoted internally to Executive Team Leader. Interview consisted mainly of behavioral and situational scenarios. They wanted to know your thought process and wanted to see that you prepared yourself well. Come with different situations to discuss and link them to how they would be relevant at Target. Also, come with questions to ask as well.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked where I would see myself in 5 years and 10 years.   Answer Question

Executive Store Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Target.

Met the recruiters at a career fair and they encouraged me to apply online but still apply through my schools database and keep in contact with the recruiter. Had a 1 on 1 interview on campus. Bring your resume because I was so nervous I forgot and I looked foolish. At the interview, they had two store leaders there, so they were very down to earth and nice. It made the process easier. I had to wait another four weeks for my second round, but the recruiter would call me and answer my emails saying not to worry, that I was passing on to the next round. This interview was extremely tough. The interviewer was a lady who was extremely mean and gave zero feedback on my answers so I did not know if I was crashing and burning or impressing her: Stone cold. She asked what I wanted to do in the future and I said possibly go to Australia: before I could even finish my aspirations she jumped down my throat saying that Target doesn't exist in Australia and there is no way I can stay with the company and move there. She was not nice. I felt that I wasn't in the running, but then I had a phone interview with the district manager where he explained to me what I would be doing and answered any questions I might have, no matter how silly they are. Many other interns had a face to face interview, but I was a bit far from the district office. Overall, most people are nice. Wear red, it will impress them

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation for an intern. We are given a set amount based on what year of college we are in.

Merchandise Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target.

I had a recruiter call me to set up a phone interview. The phone interview happened on a Sunday night and was approximately 25 minutes long. They told me exactly how the phone interview would go by telling me that they would first ask me to go over my background and resume etc., and then they would move in to strictly behavioral questions. They told me how to answer them by telling me to set the scene, what happened, and what the outcome was (Google STAR method). I was super nervous and thought I botched my phone interview but at the end they said they would love to have me on site for an interview. That night the recruited emailed me with interview tips. The next morning, a different gal that works for this recruited emailed me with the assessment test and another email to choose which day I wanted to be on site. I emailed back confirming to come back 1 week later. I didn't hear back about what time to come in so the day before my scheduled day I emailed the girl who emailed me to see about the time, she was very timely and got back to me immediately with the time and info about how the day would go. The day of the interview I checked in and the girl I had been emailing with came and got me as well as two other girls interviewing for the position. She brought us all to different small conference rooms where we had two 30 minute back to back interviews with buyers. These went the exact same way as the phone interview. It was a comfortable setting I didn't feel a lot of pressure, the people I interviewed with were extremely nice. They had papers with the questions on them and would write my answers down. 100% all behavior questions, about 5-6 were asked. I can't remember what I was asked but just google behavior questions and prepare different situations. I had one questions that was the same question asked by both interviewers and I gave the exact same answer for both. After both interviews we (me and the other girls) received a tour and then were handed a folder with the drug test info only to use If you got an offer. They said we would have an answer "the end of next week" (I interviewed on a Tuesday). On Thursday I emailed the girl I had been emailing with and asked for the email addresses for my interviewers and also thanked her for her time. I emailed my interviewers thank you and touched on why I would be a good fit again. I also emailed the original recruiter thank you and she emailed back saying I would hear again at the end of next week. 3 days later the recruited called with an offer and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you had to be creative when solving a problem.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made a mistake, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when something didn't go your way.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project you worked on, how did it go?   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview Preparation:
    Research Target: news articles, and Target.com (investors & careers section).
    Remember to use specific examples; have 10 solid, impactful and complex situations that showcase your ability to lead big teams
    Be concise and organized in your answers
    Think about answers that effect the greatest scope (the number of people and/or impact on the business), complexity (greater planning / multiple steps), and effort (perseverance / work hours) that will also be most impactful.

Time management with the interview:
    Remember to be concise with your answers in laying out the situation, your behavior, and the outcome. The focus should be on your behavior.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target.

The interview process at Target is daunting at best between the testing, evaluations and numerous interviews. Target spends a lot of money in the process to find candidates that align to the Target brand. Be prepared for both in person & phone interviews, skill tests, personality test, IQ test & drug testing. The results of the above weigh heavier than your experience.

Interview Questions
    • All interviews are established around accessing leadership dimensions utilizing SBO; candidates need to describe a scenario relevant to the question, describe the behaviors that you exhibited in the scenario and then provide the outcome of the scenario. If you can provide clear and concise responses in the SBO format than you are golden.   Answer Question
    Negotiate salary.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

It was a mass hiring during when the store was first opening and I literally walked in, sat down, said hello and got a job with no prior work experience.

Cashier Interview

I was called in for and interview after applying online. They had forgotten that I was coming and I had to wait 45 minutes for the interview. I was interviewed by two people that asked me very similar questions. They told me they would call in 3-4 days about a hiring decision. Two weeks later I received an e-mail saying I was not going to be hired. They were very unresponsive and clearly we very uninterested in me.

Cashier Interview

Was easy. You'll have 3 questions. Your first will be with a manager, the next is with their higher-up and the last one is with the store manager. the third is just an offer so it's quick.

Food Ave Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

They called me to set up a phone interview for food ave. Then on a Friday they called me at 1pm and we spoke for about 10 mins. It was fairly easy. They asked me questions like what are your strengths/weaknesses, situational questions (they gave me a scenario and asked me how i would react), and they asked about prior experience. It all seemed easy to me since I had prior experience at a restaurant. She really liked my answers so she asked if i could come in the same day at 5pm. I had a second interview with a different manager. She liked me too, so she said she'd see me really soon.
    I then had to do a drug test and background check. HR gave me a conditional job offer, meaning if I passed both then I had the job. They called me to set up orientation a couple days later.

Interview Questions
    • There really wasn't any. Since I had experience, it seemed very familiar and easy to come up with answers.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. They offered me 9.25 and I happily accepted.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

Applied online. Received phone call and scheduled an interview date. Went to interview by speaking to front desk. I was told to wait for the interviewer to be available, so I sat down on a bench inside. I assume there were two other people before me as I had to wait 30 minutes after my scheduled time before being called in. First they have you watch a job expectations video then the interview starts. The interview was as typical as interviews get including questions like, "Tell me about yourself.", "Tell me about a challenge or conflict you've faced, and how you dealt with it." and, "Why do you want to work here?" Two weeks after the interview I received a phone call politely declining me.