Target

Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Wilmington, DE

I applied online and interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – This interview/hiring process was easy enough. The only issue I had was that I had to wait an hour after my scheduled interview time to actually be seen (I guess I got lost in the shuffle of a Monday). I had to interview with two separate managers, and I was offered a job the same day!

Interview Question – The questions were straight-forward and mostly situation type.   Answer Question

Fitting Room Attendant Interview

Fitting Room Attendant
Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in June 2014.

Interview Details – Filled out app online. Was called about a week later and offered an interview. Sat through a video and then had an interview with potential supervisor and then a second interview with another manager almost immediately.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Overnight Flow Team Member Interview

Overnight Flow Team Member
Bronx, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

Interview Details – To start off, Glassdoor interview reviews was absolutely helpful to me. Every single question asked on their pamphlet is found here. If you give yourself a day or two reading through the reviews and prepare a few STAR stories you should be fine.

The process was pretty much the same as everyone. You walk in, watch the video, wait a long while, do the math assessment (basic arithmetic, percents, ratio), wait some more, and you will be called in for your first interview.

First interview is done with the team leader. It was a nice experience. Basically made me feel like I was already on the team. Interview questions were:

Why work for Target?
What skills do you think this position requires.
Strength/Weakness
If asked, would you be willing to work as a cashier
Tell me a time you were on a team.
Tell me a time you had a lot to do and how did you succeed completing them.
Tell me a time you exceeded expectation

If you did well, you would wait to interview with the Executive Team Leader.

I felt this person seemed like he wanted to get rid of me as soon as possible as soon as I entered the room. He was cold in general and read the questions in very quick pace as if he was leaving soon. His questions:

Why work for Target and why overnight?
What skills do you possess that would make you a great fit for this position
Strength/weakness
Tell me a time you made a mistake and what did you do about it.
What did you learn from it?
What did you learn from the video?
An item rings up to 19.99 but the guest says it 17.99. What would you you?
How do you think the guest would react to your response?
A person is looking for an item that is out of stock. What would you do?
How do you think the guest would react to your response?

Few problems during this interview:
-Repetition. Dont be afraid to give the same answers.

-The guest reaction question was the only thing not reported on this website. I think it was something he added on since it was the only question he didn't read from the paper. If I were to give a reason why I think I failed the interview, I would say it was because I bombed this follow up.

-The guy actually gave me the silent treatment (where they just stare at you when you finish your response in silence as if you said something wrong) He did it for the weakness and the mistake question.

Don't let them intimidate you. If you prepared with glassdoor, there is nothing wrong with your answers. Maintain eye contact and if they still do it after a long while just calmly say "Is there anything else you like to know?"

Interview Question – How do you think the guest would react to your response? If anyone can answer this it would be highly appreciated. I may reapply later.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

ETL Replenishment Interview

ETL Replenishment

I applied through other source - interviewed at Target in September 2011.

Interview Details – set up an interview day for all candidates to be interviewed round-robin style. 2 inverviewers to each interview. This occurs once monthly and all of the store managers and the district manager are present and decisions are made that day based of the interviews

Interview Question – why do you feel that you can make target a better company   Answer Question

Starbucks Team Lead Interview

Starbucks Team Lead

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

Interview Details – I received my first phone call back in regards to my application within one day of submitting it. The woman I spoke to asked me a few questions about what I can bring to Target, why do I want to work at Target, etc. which I was not expecting when I called her back. I was able to set up an interview for about a week later because I was out of town. When I arrived for my interview I had to watch a video about the position and the culture of Target. I waited about ten minutes before someone can to get me from the "waiting room" and this was the only one-on-one interview I have had since starting this process. He asked me many scenario questions, my availability, it was very simple. He seemed to love working at Target, which made me excited for the opportunity. Up until this point I had been interviewing for a team member position, but being newly graduated he said he would suggest me for a team lead. I went back to the waiting room to wait for another interview but had that cancelled for the new position instead. The next day I interviewed with the District Manager and someone else high up and that was just more scenario questions and a little bit about me. They wanted to know my hobbies and such not my experience but I told them both. The day after that I received another call to set up an interview for the following Monday (I got this call on a Thursday) to be interviewed at a store for the Starbucks Team Lead position by another Store Lead and HR person. This interview was more scenarios and personal questions though they also told me about themselves. I left this interview and received a call an hour later offering me the job. Note: I have no management experience professionally.

Interview Question – The DM asked "What can you bring to Target" which I felt I had already explained, so this question caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Sales Floor Team Member
Medford, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on the target . Com and about 2 days later I received a call for a job interview. It went to my voicemail. I called back and the operator scheduled me for an interview time. I went on the date and time. I had to fill out another forum of questions in regards to situations. After I waited for the first interviewer. She came and took me into an office. She asked me some questions. I answered. After she asked me to wait back in the waiting area. I went back and maybe 5 minutes later another lady came out and I went into her office a Second interview. She asked me more questions and she offered me a contingent job offer. All in all it was a smooth interview process. One of the smoothest I have ever had especially in retail.

Interview Questions

• What would your current supervisor say are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to work for Target?   Answer Question
  • Have you ever had a situation where you had to work in a team setting?   Answer Question
  • Did you ever had a situation were you made a mistake and later corrected it and learned from it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Well they said they start at 8.50 being in retail before that about an average salary. I have had worse and alittle better.

Merchandise Flow Member Interview

Merchandise Flow Member

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Target in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call from HR a week later. She basically confirmed my availability and that I would be able to accept the starting pay then scheduled my phone interview for the following day. The next day a team leader phoned me at the scheduled time and we introduces ourselves to each other and he asked me questions and wrote down the answers. All "Tell me a time you.." type questions. I breezed through and he scheduled me to come meet with the ETL the very next day. Came in, did an online assessment then went back and met with the ETL. He seemed bored with the whole process and asked the same type of questions. My hours of avail. seemed to be a problem for him as he mentioned it multiple times but I am a student and simply cannot commit to an open availability (which was on my application and confirmed two days prior). At the end of the interview he said they still had interviews they were conducting but they'd let me know their decision either way. Been a week, no call or email. Even though I was not expecting an offer (seems they'll offer right away if you got it?) it would've been nice to get a response.

Interview Question – Be prepared for a question about your weaknesses. Have a good answer prepared, he phrased the question as, "If I were to contact (previous employer) what would they say you excelled at? What could you improve?"   Answer Question

Flow Team Member Interview

Flow Team Member
Winter Park, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in July 2014.

Interview Details – I filled out an application online after finding an open position that was promoted on Indeed.com. Two days later I got a call from a HR member to schedule a phone interview with a team leader the next day. After that interview with a team leader I had another phone interview with the head of HR on the following Monday. Finally they scheduled a face-to-face interview that Friday. I was called later Friday and was offered the position and was told to come in Monday to fill out some paperwork and get the information and directions to go take the UA. I was told my orientation would be scheduled after they receive the results of my UA and background check. That was about it, total process only took a few weeks.

Interview Question – The most difficult question I was asked was "Why do you want to work for Target?".   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any negotiations. They made me an offer and I had two choices, take it or leave it.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Sales Floor Team Member
Austin, TX

Interview Details – Applied online - They require you to choose 3 positions you might be interested it. In addition to the standard personal info section, they have a long questionnaire section asking about your personality and about what would you do in certain scenarios, such as how to deal with angry customers and so on.

3 days later they called and conducted a phone interview. They wanted to know which of the three positions that I had chosen was the one I actually wanted. This flustered me a bit, because I thought all three were okay and hadn't thought about which one was my favorite. I had to awkwardly take a moment to think about it in the middle of the phone interview and that was probably detrimental to how they thought of me. I randomly chose a position and said that's the one I wanted, even though I wasn't sure. Surprisingly, despite what went wrong, they scheduled the in-store interview for me the next day.

The next day, only 6 hours prior to the scheduled interview, they called and said they had to re-schedule it for tomorrow. I agreed. But, having had time to think about which position I wanted, I suggested the one I wanted, which was the cashier position; but they told me that I was not qualified for that because they wanted "super friendly" people who can chat with the customers and they told me I wasn't chatty enough with them on the phone. I don't remember any store cashier ever saying anything other than "Hi, how are you?" and "Thank you, have a nice day" to me, so I don't know how hard that's supposed to be...

The next day after that, when I went to the store for the interview, the service desk worker told me I had to complete some sort of questionnaire on one of the kiosks in the store. But I checked all the kiosks and the monitors were all off and I couldn't find any way to turn them on. I reported this to the service desk and they told me to go ahead and enter the employee area. When I got there, even though I had arrived right on the scheduled time, I had to sit and wait more than 10 minutes.

When the interviewer arrived, I asked him about the kiosks and he had to take a couple minutes to go check if he was allowed to continue with the interview or if I needed to do the kiosk thing first. He finally decided the kiosk wasn't important and went ahead with the interview. But it took until the middle of the interview for him to realize that he had been interviewing me for the wrong position, not the one I had chosen. So he had to exit the room to go check something for several minutes before returning and continuing the interview.

The interview mostly consisted of asking standard interview questions, such as "Describe a challenge you overcame" or "Describe a mistake you fixed" and so on. Aside from those standard questions though, they also asked some questions that seemed like they were asking me about their own store policy, even though I had never been given a chance to learn about that. For example, what would you do if a customer disputes a price? I'm not supposed to make decisions like that on my own, am I? I assumed they would have some sort of store policy for situations like that. After the interview, the interviewer actually said "I look forward to working with you" before correcting himself and adding "...if you get hired;" so I thought it had gone well.

2 days later, however, I received an email that said "We are unable to offer you a position at this time."

Interview Question – What would you do if a customer disputes a price?   View Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier

I applied online and interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – The hiiring and interview process were relatively standard experiences. There was nothing unique or outstanding about either or them that gave me pause or caused me to anticipate how poorly run the store is. I was asked typical interview questions, I responded appropriately and then I was given the paperwork to go take the drug test at an off-site lab.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question