Target Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
4,889 Interview Reviews

2.8

Cashier & Guest Service Team Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

When I walked into the store, I went to customer service and they had me take this 10 minute test. After I was done I waited about abother 10 minutes before they called me to the back.

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Target.

The interview was very long. Lots of rounds and mostly behavioral. You should expect to interview with at least 6 people. Get ready to answer a lot of behavioral questions.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target in March 2015.

Online application. Call back in one day, set up interview for next day at 130 .First in store assessment only 30 very similar question (don't take too long it doesn't count much) then interview 1 with one employee (I though he was a manager but he actually works in the food cafe) with a series of questions on why you want to work at target then 3 questions on past events such as a time when you and a team solved a problem or when you went above and beyond with a customer. 2nd interview 10 mins after that, almost identical questions so think of new answer s. The three questions are made up situations and how you would handle it. I then waited 20 mins in the break room then a lady came up with paperwork saying I was chosen for the job. No drug test for seasonal(team member). Orientation should start in 5-7 days.

Guest Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target.

Multiple choice test with questions pertaining to the English language and math. One on one with the HR department, then the one of the Leads in the Guest Service department. There was also a credit check (the department is Financial Services) a drug test, and a multiple choice test.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time you handled a conflict. What was the situation and outcome?" "Share with me a time you went the extra mile to resolve a problem or accomplish something?" " Describe a time when your work was criticized by your boss or other co-workers."   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Four stages of interviews, all involving situation questions. Ie; name a time when... they wanted you to answer in the star format (situation or task, action, result). Usually a couple phone interviews, followed by a couple in person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to sacrifice something, in order to achieve your goals.   View Answer

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Target.

Campus recruiting interview process. Interviewed with two interviewers, one district manager and one store manager. Interview lasted for about 45 minutes. Basic Questions for the interview were asked: what are your skills/weaknesses/describe your leadership/what type of leader are you. The interview was really easy and laid back. Target really is looking for someone that fits their culture and can transition onto a team easily.Overall experience was great.

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target.

If you want this job, read as MANY of these interview reviews on Glassdoor as possible. The interview process for the ETL position is lengthy and challenging (4 interviews altogether, all behavioral-based), but they are extremely quick to let you know if you're moving forward and to schedule the next round. You have a phone interview first with a recruiter (I contacted mine through LinkedIn - highly recommend), then if you pass that, you are scheduled for an in-person interview with a Store Team Leader and a day or two later a phone interview with a District Team Leader. If you pass those, you are scheduled for a final phone interview with an HR market leader (big boss). They are extremely expedient to let you know if they're making an offer or not (I got my offer two days after my final interview). This is an extremely structured interview process that is the same for everyone. My interviews all went much longer than scheduled (don't aim to do that, I'm just chatty and don't know how to be concise). I received feedback from each person I interviewed with and they told me what I should try to work on for my next round and what I did well, so that was helpful. I thought my last interview went terribly so I did not get my hopes up for an offer, but what do you know....
    The challenging part for me personally is not knowing what part of the store you'll be over until the completion of your business college training (6 weeks). In addition, the salary, while fair, is for a 50-hour work week, and I have heard from every single ETL I've talked to that they frequently put in 11-12 hour days. You also don't know what store will be your permanent home until the conclusion of business college, so there are plenty of things to make you unsure of whether to accept the offer or not. I verbally accepted, knowing that I want something to fall back on in case I don't get any better offers by my start date. That's the other luxury with this ETL position is that they are completely fine with you not being able to start for months down the road (I'm finishing school first).
    You get two weeks of vacation and three personal days. Full benefits package with a dollar-for-dollar 401k company match up to 5%.
    Again, for most college grads, the starting salary they offer sounds high, but make sure you divide by 52 and again by 50 in order to calculate your hourly rate. I have not tried to negotiate yet as I don't have another offer in hand, but may try to negotiate with them before my official start date if I find something else.
    I was also told by the DTL that you are eligible for a pay grade promotion pretty early on (3-6mos.) as long as you're doing your job well. All in all, it sounds like a long work week, but they compensate you comparatively well, especially for being fresh out of college.
    My advice is for you to read as many of these interview questions, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, behavioral based interviewing (situation/task, behavior, outcome/result), and be able to speak to your strengths, weaknesses, and where you want to be in the future, making sure that it is aligned to what Target can offer.
    I am AWFUL at behavioral interviewing, but I tried my best to write out my answers to as many questions as I could find - this was somewhat helpful, but only 2 or 3 of the questions I practiced were asked. Reflect on your most complex leadership experiences and be yourself. It's an opportunity for you to learn how to interview and for you to shine. Show them you rock!

OH! And like everyone else on here has mentioned, DON'T BE AFRAID TO USE YOUR SAME ANSWERS if they ask you similar questions. None of the interviewers talk in between your interviews so they don't know what you said to the last person.

ALSO - the cognitive ability and personality assessment are HARD. Very hard logic questions - I have no idea how I scored, but again if you're serious about getting the job, try to practice somehow!

It seems to be a fair process.

Interview Questions
    • When you gave feedback to a subordinate, when you made an improvement to a process, when you had a disagreement with a coworker, when you made a mistake/failed, etc. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE   Answer Question

Sales Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Target.

The interview started with a phone screening. You have to be well prepped for behavior-based questions, as they tell you. You also do an online assessment that takes a few hours or so; then they get back with you pretty quickly to let you know if you will be moved along.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you made a mistake that had a big impact.   Answer Question

Target Back Room Team Member Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Target.

I had one interview with a supervisor. Then after I passed that I had another with the manager of the department I was applying for. They asked very simple questions.

Interview Questions
    • They asked obvious "what would I do in certain situations" questions that were customer based.   Answer Question

Cashier & Guest Service Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Target.

I attended a hiring event, so once you filled out your application, you went straight in for an interview. It felt like the biggest thing they were looking for was a very open, flexible schedule. They really need employees who can work all shifts including evenings and weekends. The interview was one on one, and was very simple and straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • They ask a lot of questions to try and determine your trustworthiness and morals.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Simple starting hourly wage across the board.