Target Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015
5,000 Interview Reviews

2.8

Interview

fairly difficult three step process where they asked behavioral questions. would definitely recommend doing some practice questions before or you will fail simple, make sure u know why you wanna work there and what u will benefit from it. this is a great interview process but is fairly difficult so make sure you do your homework.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Target (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Had to interview with multiple people on campus. They sort through resumes they receive through career fairs and hold on-site interviews. Straight forward behavioral questions. Asks a lot about challenges, when you had experiences leading others, what you are most proud of.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target (Houston, TX).

Interview

Ridiculously long process. Over 5 weeks to do 4 interviews with one left to be scheduled. Some people on the hiring staff are completely incompetent in their ability to schedule follow up interviews. The people doing the phone interviews were 15 minutes late to each one and one did not call on the scheduled day. I had one hiring manager honestly tell me that the hiring system for target is broken. I am glad to have gone through this hellacious interview process because it allows me to see why some companies eventually go out of business or start losing money. More respected companies treat candidates better and streamline their interview process using competent staff. They dont disrespect high quality talent with delayed response times either. I plan on sticking through the process just to see how ridiculous it gets but would probably not accept an offer unless it was just absurdly good. If the interview process is this broken, imagine the rest of their company. No wonder they are hemorrhaging billions of dollars in failed attempts at growth. Thousands of people are being laid off from this company. Target is rotting from the core. I mainly interviewed just to test my interviewing skills seeing that I currently make similar money and was checking to determine my value on the market. Amongst all of the interview I have ever (which include difficult interviews with good organizations like Teach For America) Target's is easily the most ridiculous. BEWARE!!! If you are a talent individual consider another retail management development program. Target is a sinking ship. Target's incompetence does put a bullseye on its back and it appears that they are succumbing to the competition because they do not have the requisite talent, staff, foresight, or leadership to get the job done. Applicants/ Interviewers you have been warned.

Interview Questions

• Read the question the other replies have listed. They will ask you 4-5 questions per interview. No surprises. Expect to wait 10 days to 2 weeks between follow up interviews or speaking to your recruiter.   Answer Question

This is a sinking ship. Target does not have the foresight to become a long term company. It will go the way of Sears. The hiring system is broken, the talent is weak, the structure is bad. If you are a talented person, run!!!

Executive Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Habra, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target (La Habra, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Was very lengthy but they make you feel comfortable through the entire process. I had 5 interviews, one was an intial screening, the next was with an STL and ETL, the next was with another ETL, the next was with a DTL, and the final was with an HR market leader. They ask you behavioral questions. All of the interviews asked me to tell a little about myself as well as why I want to work for Target. They give you all the info you need to prepare for the interview, and after each interview, I was actually told, you're moving on to the next round so there was no suspense. They either like you or they don't. Once I had my final interview with the HR market leader, about 2 hours later I received an email from initial HR person with a job offer. Salary was more than what I asked for and the benefits were ideal. I accepted the position immediately.

Interview Questions

• describe a time you had to plan and execute a task and what was the outcome   Answer Question
    • why do you want to work for target   Answer Question
    • describe a time you had conflict on the job and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

They called about a week after submitting my application and asked about my availability and if I had any upcoming vacations. They then told me what the job paid ($9/hr) and asked if I was still interested. They then scheduled a phone interview for the following week which I just completed. The phone interview was only about five minutes and she seemed in a rush to get off the phone, so I'm not sure I'll be contacted for the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you didn't get along with a co-worker or peer? How would your past supervisors describe you?   Answer Question

PD&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Target (Savannah, GA).

Interview

The process in general spans over weeks as you interview with multiple people and must take multiple online tests. In 2011 (not sure about nowadays), you were required to take a math test regardless of what position you were applying for. There was a personality assessment and interview questions also pertaining to personality. There were numerous situational questions to assess problem solving skills, leadership, performance under stress, etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you encountered a problem and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online around March 17-20 . It may have took a week for a call back (March 26), but I ended up missing her call. Called Her back Monday and staff kept giving me the run around saying she wouldn't be in for the day or she was busy. I called one more time (April 1) and got a hold of her set up an interview for the next day. Went in about 15- 20 minutes early, did the questionnaire on the computer which took about 20 minutes. Team leader took me to the back after that and interviewed me. Told me he would talk to the manager about a second interview and "would give me a call."

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      Name a time when you had to be a leader, what did you do, how did you handle the situation, and what was the outcome?
      Name a time when you went above and beyond for a customer?
      How many hours are you available to work?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Target (Honolulu, HI) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied on Sunday morning (April 2015) and got a call back later on that afternoon from HR. I called them back and had a phone interview. They asked me questions like why did I want to work at Target? What does the 3 F's (Fun, Fast, and Friendly) mean to me? Do I have any experience working with the position (cashier) I am applying for? What is my availability? If they were to call my previous employers, what would they say my strengths and weakness are?
    After I answered those questions the lady asked me if I would be able to come in on Tuesday for a in store interview, which I said yes. I got to the store around 10:50am and waited for about 10 minutes and then the lead lady in HR came out and got me. We went into their interview room and we started off with the questions. The questions were about my past work history and behavioral situations; the interview went pretty well I would say. The lady then asked me if there was any other jobs I was interested in besides being a cashier, I said Guest Services and she said that was basically the same thing. She then said that she thinks I would be good working in HR and so she asked me some questions about HR and then she told me I was going to take a assessment test. The assessment test was 20 questions and they were the same questions but they were just which was the best and worst. I then waited for another 20 minutes until they took me up to there training room to watch a 10 minute video. I then shadowed a guy who worked in HR to see how I would like it and if I would get a good vibe from it. I did that for about 10 minutes and then waited another 10 minutes for another female to come in and interview me. The second interview took about 10 minutes and it was basically the same questions just re worded. Then 5 minutes later the first lady who interviewed me and offered me the position as a Cashier which I applied for in the beginning. They told me it would take 48 hours to do the background check and gave me my letter for the job offer and told me they would call me once they set up an orientation date and to come in khaki's, red plain shirt and shoes.

Interview Questions

• 1. If we were to call your previous job, what would they say your strengths and weaknesses are?
      2. Explain a time when you worked with a co worker who you did not get along with and how did you work through it?
      3. What is something you think you could work on?
      4. Would you feel comfortable trying to get a guest to sign up for a red card?
      5. Tell me about a time when you had a job duty to finish but a guest came up and needed your help, how did you handle that?
      6. Tell me about a time when you had to deliver difficult news?

Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation needed

Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target (Redmond, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was called by HR the following morning. I was asked why I wanted to work at Target and to confirm my availability. I was informed of the open positions, told about the store setup, and then scheduled to come in a few days later for a video presentation, computer questionnaire, and interview.
    I arrived 15 minutes early and waited at Guest Services as directed. They skipped the video due to the viewing room being occupied for a meeting and I was led to and left at a computer to fill out a similar questionnaire as is on the online application.
    Afterwards I was directed to my first interview. It went great and the woman said she was going to get me into the second interview immediately and tell the interviewer how great it went. I was feeling very confident until the second interview.
    I immediately felt judged by this young woman who had an heir of superiority about her.
    Almost every question in both interviews was asking you to describe situations from the past where you showed this quality or solved this conflict, etc. I have a large gap in employment due to having to move back home to take care for my ill mother until her passing and I have not worked in over 2 years. I feel that this was CLEARLY not taken into consideration. After talking about situations like this in the first interview I then had difficulty in recalling more specific instances and when I tried to generalize the questions it wasn't good enough. Afterwards I was told to wait in the backroom while she went to set up the video viewing for me, so I felt a little more relaxed, especially considering the first interview went splendidly. Wrong. About 10 minutes of waiting later the second interviewer came out and told me that the room was occupied again and that HR would call me if they wanted to set up me coming in to view it. I got that I was rejected when she said the "if". The whole process took 2 hours. Two days later I received an email saying they were not considering me any longer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a specific situation where you showed integrity/solved conflict with an employee you didn't along with/when you had to ask for help/when you had to explain how to do something to another coworker/when you exceeded a customer's expectations/etc.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Target?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

I was first interviewed by someone who I think is a manager, she first described to me the expectations of a cashier at Target and asked if I thought I was cut out for the job. Then she asked me basic interview questions, mostly consisting of telling her about times when I worked well with a group, or how I solved a difficult problem, or how I convinced someone to try/believe in something I was passionate about. She talked to me about the Target redcard as well and asked me if I would be able to convince guests to sign up for one. After I was done interviewing with her I was asked to wait for a second interview. Another lady came and introduced herself to me and asked similar questions. Both people I talked to were friendly and easy to talk with. I was comfortable sharing some details of my life and hobbies throughout the interview. All of the questions are pretty much personal questions that ask about your own experiences in school and work. Just be honest but obviously don't say anything that comes off rude or irresponsible. Overall it was a good experience, even the people in the office area were friendly to me while I waited for the second interview. After the second interview the two people I interviewed with discussed my interview for 10-15 minutes, then I was offered a job. I think if you make it to the second interview you will most likely get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were working in a group and it didn't go as planned.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. I was offered a job and an hourly rate and I took it.