Target Interview Questions

Updated Jul 4, 2015
5,000 Interview Reviews

2.8

Interview

fairly difficult three step process where they asked behavioral questions. would definitely recommend doing some practice questions before or you will fail simple, make sure u know why you wanna work there and what u will benefit from it. this is a great interview process but is fairly difficult so make sure you do your homework.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Target (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Had to interview with multiple people on campus. They sort through resumes they receive through career fairs and hold on-site interviews. Straight forward behavioral questions. Asks a lot about challenges, when you had experiences leading others, what you are most proud of.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target (Houston, TX).

Interview

Ridiculously long process. Over 5 weeks to do 4 interviews with one left to be scheduled. Some people on the hiring staff are completely incompetent in their ability to schedule follow up interviews. The people doing the phone interviews were 15 minutes late to each one and one did not call on the scheduled day. I had one hiring manager honestly tell me that the hiring system for target is broken. I am glad to have gone through this hellacious interview process because it allows me to see why some companies eventually go out of business or start losing money. More respected companies treat candidates better and streamline their interview process using competent staff. They dont disrespect high quality talent with delayed response times either. I plan on sticking through the process just to see how ridiculous it gets but would probably not accept an offer unless it was just absurdly good. If the interview process is this broken, imagine the rest of their company. No wonder they are hemorrhaging billions of dollars in failed attempts at growth. Thousands of people are being laid off from this company. Target is rotting from the core. I mainly interviewed just to test my interviewing skills seeing that I currently make similar money and was checking to determine my value on the market. Amongst all of the interview I have ever (which include difficult interviews with good organizations like Teach For America) Target's is easily the most ridiculous. BEWARE!!! If you are a talent individual consider another retail management development program. Target is a sinking ship. Target's incompetence does put a bullseye on its back and it appears that they are succumbing to the competition because they do not have the requisite talent, staff, foresight, or leadership to get the job done. Applicants/ Interviewers you have been warned.

Interview Questions

• Read the question the other replies have listed. They will ask you 4-5 questions per interview. No surprises. Expect to wait 10 days to 2 weeks between follow up interviews or speaking to your recruiter.   Answer Question

This is a sinking ship. Target does not have the foresight to become a long term company. It will go the way of Sears. The hiring system is broken, the talent is weak, the structure is bad. If you are a talented person, run!!!

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

I was first interviewed by someone who I think is a manager, she first described to me the expectations of a cashier at Target and asked if I thought I was cut out for the job. Then she asked me basic interview questions, mostly consisting of telling her about times when I worked well with a group, or how I solved a difficult problem, or how I convinced someone to try/believe in something I was passionate about. She talked to me about the Target redcard as well and asked me if I would be able to convince guests to sign up for one. After I was done interviewing with her I was asked to wait for a second interview. Another lady came and introduced herself to me and asked similar questions. Both people I talked to were friendly and easy to talk with. I was comfortable sharing some details of my life and hobbies throughout the interview. All of the questions are pretty much personal questions that ask about your own experiences in school and work. Just be honest but obviously don't say anything that comes off rude or irresponsible. Overall it was a good experience, even the people in the office area were friendly to me while I waited for the second interview. After the second interview the two people I interviewed with discussed my interview for 10-15 minutes, then I was offered a job. I think if you make it to the second interview you will most likely get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were working in a group and it didn't go as planned.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. I was offered a job and an hourly rate and I took it.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Habra, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target (La Habra, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Was very lengthy but they make you feel comfortable through the entire process. I had 5 interviews, one was an intial screening, the next was with an STL and ETL, the next was with another ETL, the next was with a DTL, and the final was with an HR market leader. They ask you behavioral questions. All of the interviews asked me to tell a little about myself as well as why I want to work for Target. They give you all the info you need to prepare for the interview, and after each interview, I was actually told, you're moving on to the next round so there was no suspense. They either like you or they don't. Once I had my final interview with the HR market leader, about 2 hours later I received an email from initial HR person with a job offer. Salary was more than what I asked for and the benefits were ideal. I accepted the position immediately.

Interview Questions

• describe a time you had to plan and execute a task and what was the outcome   Answer Question
    • why do you want to work for target   Answer Question
    • describe a time you had conflict on the job and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

They called about a week after submitting my application and asked about my availability and if I had any upcoming vacations. They then told me what the job paid ($9/hr) and asked if I was still interested. They then scheduled a phone interview for the following week which I just completed. The phone interview was only about five minutes and she seemed in a rush to get off the phone, so I'm not sure I'll be contacted for the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you didn't get along with a co-worker or peer? How would your past supervisors describe you?   Answer Question

PD&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Target (Savannah, GA).

Interview

The process in general spans over weeks as you interview with multiple people and must take multiple online tests. In 2011 (not sure about nowadays), you were required to take a math test regardless of what position you were applying for. There was a personality assessment and interview questions also pertaining to personality. There were numerous situational questions to assess problem solving skills, leadership, performance under stress, etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you encountered a problem and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target (Norfolk, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online, got a call back about two days later. They scheduled a phone interview for the following week. After the phone interview, I got another call to schedule a face-to-face interview. First, you have to do a survey, then watch a video. Then you get to the interview(s). There were two women who conducted interviews with me. The first was basic formal questions, the other was scheduling. Very easy, I would say the phone interview was the hardest part.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself?   Answer Question
    • If we had to ask previous employers/teachers, what would they say you need to improve on?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation in which you had to stand up for yourself.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time in which you had to lead a team, and how did your teacher/employer react?   Answer Question
    • Did you learn anything from the video?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They confirmed what position I was applying for, and told me the starting pay.

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

Apply online, you'll be contacted about setting a time for a phone interview.

STAR feedback or bust. If you cant answer promptly in STAR, the interview wont last long.
    Have your "tell me about a time" answers ready to go and even then you'll need help.

Even if you generically answer in STAR, it's not good enough.
    The interviewer wont understand unless you actually say the words "situation", "task", "action", and "result".

Interview Questions

• "Tell me when you collaborated with another team to achieve a goal"   Answer Question

Overnight Flow Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Goldsboro, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Target (Goldsboro, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

I filled out an online application. The next morning someone called me in for an interview for the following Friday. I show up ten minutes early at Guest Service and they tell me to go wait inside the coffee shop and someone will be with me shortly.

After waiting AN HOUR I approach the people at Guest Services again to make sure I wasn't forgotten about. The girl behind the counter was very nice and after checking for me, another girl came out and apologized and said the person I was supposed to interview with wasn't EVEN THERE!! And that the other person who was going to interview me got tied up in the back.

She asked me if I could come back on Monday....Today is Monday and I plan on editing or resubmitting my interview info.

To be honest, it made me wonder about how they treat their employees. I was waiting all that time and feel like it would have only taken a moment for someone to let me know about the mix-up instead of just letting me sit there. MY TIME is valuable too. At the same time, it would appear they do need help so maybe they can be more organized.