Target Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
4,103 Interview Reviews

2.8

Executive Team Leader Interview

Applied through the website. Got a email a month later about setting up phone interview. My phone interview was later that week. They used the stars interviewing method, focusing on customer experience questions. Once the interview was done, I was emailed a personality and customer experience test. Took the test and that was the last thing I heard from them.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really, basic questions about customer and your experience   Answer Question

Starbucks Team Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Target.

There were 2 interviews, one with a random team lead and then with an executive team lead. They asked common behavioral questions. They gave me an overview of the job and what the schedule would look like. They offered me a job at the end

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you were successful as a team?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Topeka, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Topeka, KS

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Target.

I was asked about myself, then asked why I thought I was a good leader, and the final question was if I was ok with shift work. After that I was told about the in person interview process and benefits of the company, as well as a salary I could expect if I were to get an offer.

Sales Floor Team Member/Flow Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tigard, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tigard, OR

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

I applied online, and within about three days I got a call from their HR department asking if I had time for a phone interview, I agreed of course and the interview was set for the next morning. The phone interview was laid back, really simple questions just to see if you can speak clearly and confidently. The entire time there's an importance places on "Guest" relations, and they judge you based on how they think you'd act around customers. So being confidant but professional will get you through most the questions as they're really basic like. After the phone interview was over they told me they were recommending me for the second interview and I had the option of going in that same day, or waiting until the following Friday so I chose to go in that day.

I was told I had to fill out a short five minute survey when I got there, that was the basic "are you a serial killer or a thief" questionnaire to ensure you're not completely insane. The questions are beyond easy just "What would you do if?" style questions. Once that was complete I asked to speak with guest services and they called the person I was interviewing with to let them know I was there. I interviewed with a Executive team member, who had me watch two training videos on how to behave at target because I was applying for two positions. They're really easy to follow and most the questions are based directly from the video so as long as you pay attention to that and draw some of your answers from the video you're golden.

Every single question from the phone interview to the in store is on Glassdoor so if you rehearse them you'll be fine. They're a really big fan of the START method so try to base your answers around that. There are three interviews in total and if you make it to the third they'll likely make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • "A woman is buying shoes for her two year old daughter and is asking for help, after searching the shoe department you find the shoe size she needs isn't in stock, what would you do?"   View Answers (4)
    • "An item a guest is purchasing rings up at $19.99, the guest becomes confused and says ""No I'm sure that item was on sale for $15. What would you do?"   View Answer

I got a better job offer somewhere else.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Target in March 2010.

I think one but it was fun and the hiring manager was easy to talk to. There very nice and easy going. It only takes about half an hour.

Interview Questions
    • None they ask about your work history and how you can improve yourself within the company.   View Answer
    None its a great job

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview 1 - Phone Screening, pretty typical questions. Tell me a time you had a problem with a coworker; tell me a time you worked together as a team to accomplish a goal; tell me a time when you disagreed with your boss; etc.

Interview 2 - In-person with District Team Leader and a Store Manager. Again, pretty typical interview questions.

Interview 3 (final) - Phone interview with HR Market Leader - similar questions to last 2 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you prepared for something and something unexpected occurred.   Answer Question

Human Resources Team Member Interview

Applied through the website, got a call within 4 days. Was asked to conduct a phone interview the next day. Got a call on time and was asked situation-based questions. At the end, we scheduled an in-person interview. Was asked similar questions in person. HR Executive offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time you made a mistake, and what did you do after?"   View Answer
    Unable to negotiate due to pay grade scale.

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

I applied for a position through my college but was passed over by a colleague of mine. I was in contact with the on-campus recruiter and he recommended me to apply online for a similar job. Months went by without any emails until recently when I got an email for a 15 minute phone interview which only lasted 7 minutes. Interview was very short. The new guy asked me two questions but the way he talked to me was really unpleasant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Concord, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, NC

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Target in July 2014.

-- I apologize in advance for the lengthy explanation. I attempted to cover everything as efficiently yet thoroughly as possible in case it would be informative or useful for someone. For everyone else, see the "TL;DR" (Too Long; Didn't Read) at the bottom. --

I applied online (6/24) for a few positions of interest, namely Sales Floor and Cashier. I followed up over the phone a few times before someone finally called back (7/05), and a phone interview was scheduled for the next day. The woman who conducted the interview asked a few basic scenario questions (e.g. "When was a time you sold something?"). Then she answered questions. She was polite and patient overall. I was told that my second interview should be in 2-3 days. However, it instead took over a week and following up again with the clerical team. Then someone called (7/15) to schedule my second interview.

When I finally walked in for my second interview (7/24), I went to Guest Services as instructed. Nobody initially seemed to know what to do with me. They placed me at one of their red application kiosks to complete a questionnaire. (There were about 50 questions, but every two were identical by glitch.) Then I informed whomever was available that I was done. I waited around quite a while, roughly 15-30 minutes if not longer, before someone showed up. A female Trainer escorted me to offices in the back and showed me two short videos about a few job positions.

After I watched the videos, I sat down with the Trainer and a management trainee for the interview. They were both amazingly helpful and positive. They answered any questions I had about the company/job. I learned about morning "Team Huddles", "4x4" (stock check), and auto-generated work schedules. The Trainer asked around five basic scenario questions from a paper (e.g. "When was a time something didn't go as planned?"). Then they walked me around the store to explain hardlines/softlines and the store layout.

Then I was taken to a manager's office. The manager went over the available positions and asked which one I would be interested in. I went for Cashier. She asked if I would accept the job if she offered it, to which I said "yes." I was informed that I would be contacted within a week before orientation. She handed a sheet with information to take to the in-store Clinic. I followed the procedures and completed the drug test then and there. Afterwards, I left the store and followed up a week later. I was told that the employment offer was declined due to pending charges on my background check.

----
    TL;DR:
    Applied online and followed up. Phone interview 11 days later that involved a few scenario questions. More following up. In-person interview 18 days later with short videos and more scenario questions. Talked to another manager. Drug test at in-store clinic. Followed up a few days later to learn my offer was declined.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Target.

You apply at the computers in the store. The next day and it was a saturday they called me I came in to interview that Monday and had interviews with two different people. It was fairly basic stuff they read off a sheet.

Interview Questions
    • If someone challenges a price that rings up On an item when you scan what do you do?   View Answer
    No negotiation.