Target Interview Questions

Updated Jul 4, 2015
5,000 Interview Reviews

2.8

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

Apply online, you'll be contacted about setting a time for a phone interview.

STAR feedback or bust. If you cant answer promptly in STAR, the interview wont last long.
    Have your "tell me about a time" answers ready to go and even then you'll need help.

Even if you generically answer in STAR, it's not good enough.
    The interviewer wont understand unless you actually say the words "situation", "task", "action", and "result".

Interview Questions

• "Tell me when you collaborated with another team to achieve a goal"   Answer Question

Overnight Flow Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Goldsboro, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Target (Goldsboro, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

I filled out an online application. The next morning someone called me in for an interview for the following Friday. I show up ten minutes early at Guest Service and they tell me to go wait inside the coffee shop and someone will be with me shortly.

After waiting AN HOUR I approach the people at Guest Services again to make sure I wasn't forgotten about. The girl behind the counter was very nice and after checking for me, another girl came out and apologized and said the person I was supposed to interview with wasn't EVEN THERE!! And that the other person who was going to interview me got tied up in the back.

She asked me if I could come back on Monday....Today is Monday and I plan on editing or resubmitting my interview info.

To be honest, it made me wonder about how they treat their employees. I was waiting all that time and feel like it would have only taken a moment for someone to let me know about the mix-up instead of just letting me sit there. MY TIME is valuable too. At the same time, it would appear they do need help so maybe they can be more organized.

Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target (Redmond, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was called by HR the following morning. I was asked why I wanted to work at Target and to confirm my availability. I was informed of the open positions, told about the store setup, and then scheduled to come in a few days later for a video presentation, computer questionnaire, and interview.
    I arrived 15 minutes early and waited at Guest Services as directed. They skipped the video due to the viewing room being occupied for a meeting and I was led to and left at a computer to fill out a similar questionnaire as is on the online application.
    Afterwards I was directed to my first interview. It went great and the woman said she was going to get me into the second interview immediately and tell the interviewer how great it went. I was feeling very confident until the second interview.
    I immediately felt judged by this young woman who had an heir of superiority about her.
    Almost every question in both interviews was asking you to describe situations from the past where you showed this quality or solved this conflict, etc. I have a large gap in employment due to having to move back home to take care for my ill mother until her passing and I have not worked in over 2 years. I feel that this was CLEARLY not taken into consideration. After talking about situations like this in the first interview I then had difficulty in recalling more specific instances and when I tried to generalize the questions it wasn't good enough. Afterwards I was told to wait in the backroom while she went to set up the video viewing for me, so I felt a little more relaxed, especially considering the first interview went splendidly. Wrong. About 10 minutes of waiting later the second interviewer came out and told me that the room was occupied again and that HR would call me if they wanted to set up me coming in to view it. I got that I was rejected when she said the "if". The whole process took 2 hours. Two days later I received an email saying they were not considering me any longer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a specific situation where you showed integrity/solved conflict with an employee you didn't along with/when you had to ask for help/when you had to explain how to do something to another coworker/when you exceeded a customer's expectations/etc.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Target?   Answer Question

Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target (Newport News, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I met with a recruiter at my college career fair. I received an email a few days later saying they wanted me to have an interview. The first interview was a phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes. Loved the woman who interviewed me- super sweet! They asked me 5 behavioral questions and contacted me 3 days later saying I got a second interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you made a mistake with significant impact.   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Target in April 2015.

Interview

I talked to a target rep at a career fair. They asked me to sign up for an interview after talking to the rep for about 30 mins. The interview was the next day. I had 3 interviewers and they asked me behavioral questions.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

It was typical for retail, they asked easy questions about what you would do in situations, how you would handle something and explained how they work there. They are fast fun and friendly. Then explained orientation and all that. I have to make this 30 words and the interview probably wasn't even that long.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if someone stole something, name a certain situation you had to handle a stressful
      Situation. Stuff like that.

1 Answer

Clinic Team Member Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

I applied online, received a call from Target's Human resource as few days later to set up an interview. Also had a phone interview with a Nurse practitioner. At one point during the interview, I took a personality/skill quiz. After the interview you are given a salary, and you have 24 hours to take a drug test.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      Describe a time a customer asked for your help and you weren't able to help them?
      Why are you interested in this job?

Answer Question

Flow Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

Interview

I applied online. I got a call a few days later and scheduled an interview for the next day. I went in and was asked to wait. I waited about ten minutes until someone finally came and took me into an office. I did the interview and was asked to wait in the break room for the second interview. I waited about fifteen minutes until the same person from the first interview came back and said there wasn't time to do the second interview. They told me to expect a call, but instead I got an email saying they could not offer be the position at this time.

Honestly, because I didn't get to do the second part of the interview, I felt a little bit cheated. It was about lunch time, so I couldn't help but wonder if the person doing my second interview was out at lunch.

Interview Questions

• A time you were asked to do something and went beyond expectation?   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilsonville, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target (Wilsonville, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

I got a call from a manager exactly one week after applying in my local store and they asked me what position I wanted (on the computer I put 3 choices) and asked me if my availability was correct, as well as the wage I would be offered (no negotiation). They then asked if I would be available the next day for a phone interview.

The next day I got a call from an ETL and they asked me about 5 questions. They asked why I wanted to work at Target, a little about myself, what would a previous boss say is one of my strengths, name a time I encouraged a coworker, and name a time I had to juggle priorities and how I handled it. It was only about 15 minutes. After that, they asked if I could come in for a face to face interview that evening with one of the assistant managers.

I showed up to the Target store and they had me complete a 20 question, multiple choice survey asking what would be the "best" and "worst choices in those situations. Pretty easy, common sense questions. Then I was brought into the back room and watched a Sales Floor Team Member video. Then I was interviewed by the assistant manager. All the questions were situational/behavioral and they want you to give an example and state the outcome. The questions asked: name one of your weaknesses, name a time you had to lead a team, describe a time you didn't get along well with a coworker, etc. Again, pretty easy questions. Then they asked if I had any questions to ask. They told me what the pay would be and asked if the hours I had available were correct and then they had me sign a notice stating if I had had any felonies. Then they told me Target would call to schedule another interview with the Human Resources Team Member.

I came in the next day and met with the HR member and they asked to tell them about myself and why I thought I would be a good fit at Target. Then they pulled out the folder and asked if I accepted their offer and what the pay would be. Then they said I would be getting an email from Target to let me know when orientation would be.

Overall, the process was super fast and everyone was completely friendly. The interview was really laid back and easy and I'm really looking forward to working there!

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Target (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Behavioral questions. To me about a time.... When you made a mistake... When you didn't have strong backing for your idea... When you had massive information you needed to work with... When you had to deliver constructive feedback... When you had a difficult person to work with... Be prepared to provide Situation, behavior, outcome.