Target Interview Questions

5,000 Interview Reviews

2.8

Senior Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Target (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Initial phone screen followed by 3 interviews; 2 interviewers per interview. Called back for a "bless-off" interview a week later. Final offer came about a week after that.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

If you want this job, read as MANY of these interview reviews on Glassdoor as possible. The interview process for the ETL position is lengthy and challenging (4 interviews altogether, all behavioral-based), but they are extremely quick to let you know if you're moving forward and to schedule the next round. You have a phone interview first with a recruiter (I contacted mine through LinkedIn - highly recommend), then if you pass that, you are scheduled for an in-person interview with a Store Team Leader and a day or two later a phone interview with a District Team Leader. If you pass those, you are scheduled for a final phone interview with an HR market leader (big boss). They are extremely expedient to let you know if they're making an offer or not (I got my offer two days after my final interview). This is an extremely structured interview process that is the same for everyone. My interviews all went much longer than scheduled (don't aim to do that, I'm just chatty and don't know how to be concise). I received feedback from each person I interviewed with and they told me what I should try to work on for my next round and what I did well, so that was helpful. I thought my last interview went terribly so I did not get my hopes up for an offer, but what do you know....
    The challenging part for me personally is not knowing what part of the store you'll be over until the completion of your business college training (6 weeks). In addition, the salary, while fair, is for a 50-hour work week, and I have heard from every single ETL I've talked to that they frequently put in 11-12 hour days. You also don't know what store will be your permanent home until the conclusion of business college, so there are plenty of things to make you unsure of whether to accept the offer or not. I verbally accepted, knowing that I want something to fall back on in case I don't get any better offers by my start date. That's the other luxury with this ETL position is that they are completely fine with you not being able to start for months down the road (I'm finishing school first).
    You get two weeks of vacation and three personal days. Full benefits package with a dollar-for-dollar 401k company match up to 5%.
    Again, for most college grads, the starting salary they offer sounds high, but make sure you divide by 52 and again by 50 in order to calculate your hourly rate. I have not tried to negotiate yet as I don't have another offer in hand, but may try to negotiate with them before my official start date if I find something else.
    I was also told by the DTL that you are eligible for a pay grade promotion pretty early on (3-6mos.) as long as you're doing your job well. All in all, it sounds like a long work week, but they compensate you comparatively well, especially for being fresh out of college.
    My advice is for you to read as many of these interview questions, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, behavioral based interviewing (situation/task, behavior, outcome/result), and be able to speak to your strengths, weaknesses, and where you want to be in the future, making sure that it is aligned to what Target can offer.
    I am AWFUL at behavioral interviewing, but I tried my best to write out my answers to as many questions as I could find - this was somewhat helpful, but only 2 or 3 of the questions I practiced were asked. Reflect on your most complex leadership experiences and be yourself. It's an opportunity for you to learn how to interview and for you to shine. Show them you rock!

OH! And like everyone else on here has mentioned, DON'T BE AFRAID TO USE YOUR SAME ANSWERS if they ask you similar questions. None of the interviewers talk in between your interviews so they don't know what you said to the last person.

ALSO - the cognitive ability and personality assessment are HARD. Very hard logic questions - I have no idea how I scored, but again if you're serious about getting the job, try to practice somehow!

It seems to be a fair process.

Interview Questions

• When you gave feedback to a subordinate, when you made an improvement to a process, when you had a disagreement with a coworker, when you made a mistake/failed, etc. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Several brief interviews but most over the phone which was good. I had asked directly about travel and they said basically no travel. When I got to the final, they told me 25-50% travel. Had they been upfront, it would have wasted far less of their time and my time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Target (North Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

Applied online, about a month later I got a call and was asked if I could come in for an interview that week. Got there about five minutes early, waited 10 minutes before anyone even came out and got me, and then waited another 25 minutes in the back room before my interview began. Interviewed with someone for about 10 minutes, then interviewed with the GM for another 10 minutes. Offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to demonstrate excellent customer service.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to work with someone that you didn't get along with and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

Called for me to come in for a interview one morning. Arrived their was one other person applying as well. I was interviewed by two different managers. They were both very friendly and fun. Even started just talking and somewhat got off track of interview questions. Really interested in getting to know me my plans. I watched a video about guest service on sales floor. Then was offered a job on the spot. Did a drug test later that day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you gave good service?   1 Answer

Flow Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Traverse City, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Target (Traverse City, MI).

Interview

Applied Online, was contacted the next day to set up an interview. You are then interviewed by both the team lead and the executive team lead of the department you applied for. You also have to take a test to test your personality, problem solving and basic math skills.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was unable to negotiate employment details for this position.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cumming, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Target (Cumming, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was called by the HR department and asked to come in for an interview. I showed up about 10 minutes early and went to the guest services desk as instructed and asked for my interviewer. They seemed rather disorganized, as they put out a call for the Team Lead who was supposed to be interviewing me twice with no response, and the third time he came and then got immediately distracted.

When I finally got in to the interview, it was only about five minutes of sitting down and talking as he made notes before he took me to take a survey (that I had already completed on the application). He said he had to find someone to give me my second interview. I thought it was kind of strange that they didn't have that set up already, since it's something they have to do at every interview. After another about 5 minute conversation with her taking notes, I was told that HR would call me to let me know if I would move on in the employment process or not.

I was not called. I received a form letter email notifying me that I would not be considered further, which I found kind of annoying and unprofessional. Overall, a disorganized interview. The interviewers didn't look at me as they interviewed me, they sat and read off their papers and didn't look up. They also complained that they had to take all these notes for HR to read and evaluate, instead of HR doing interviews themselves.

Interview Questions

• If you had a customer come to the register with an item that scanned at $19.99, but the customer insisted that the price on the shelf was 9.99, what would you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target (Carmel, IN).

Interview

It was fairly low stress. They first have you fill out a questionnaire on their website(or you can do it in store). They were pretty basic questions about situations. It took some time to finish, about 30 minutes or so. Then they contact you within a week or so for an in person interview which was also pretty basic. If you make it past all of that, you take a drug test and if you pass that you're given the job.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

I applied online through my school's job site and got an e-mail to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was easy. She asked me "Why Target?" "Where do I see myself 3-5 years from now?". Then I proceeded to the next round which was an interview with a store manager. He said that he really liked me and asked me the same questions. However, I was not asked to proceed to the round after that (he consulted with the recruiter who interviewed me first). I believe it was a combination of my lack of experience in retail and/or the poor assessment test. The assessment test was difficult.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Target.

Interview

back by back and directly interview with higher level hiring manager. I was interviewed by group manager level employees and they didn't go through too many behavioral questions but case questions instead