Target Interview Questions

2.8

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

The called and set a time for interview in 2 days..First again was an online assessment in store then first interview ,this manager was positive minded person asked several common questions and availability(Sundays,Xmas..) then second interview with a manager who was so tough and serious almost no smile :( asking the same questions but direction was somehow strange that could guess she wont carry positive way ..
    After 2 days received an email in 2:30 AM they are unable to offer a job now
    As an experience was worthy.

Interview Questions
    • What happened when you failed to do a task in your previous job?   View Answer

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

On the first day of the interview, I had to wait at TSC (Team Member Services Center). I arrived 10 minutes earlier than my scheduled time, but HR did not call me in until 20 minutes after my scheduled time. We did not do interviews at the TSC, but we went up to the third floor to the ETL offices. There was another potential employee waiting with me, and he went to have his interview first while I waited in a small section of the offices. Yeah, more waiting.

I interviewed a Team Leader (TL) first in the TL's office. It was a pretty ordinary interview, though I felt that there were a lot of questions asked. The TL introduced himself first. We then discussed my availability, then the TL gave me information about the position Target was offering me. I was being offered to work in Softlines (clothes) where I would be picking up and folding clothes and restocking areas when necessary. The TL told me what was expected and asked whether I was interested in this position. I was actually reluctant at first because I can't fold clothes quickly, but I answered that I was willing to do anything because I just needed a job. The TL then asked if there was a particular person under which I was willing to be trained, whether the person be male or female. We then followed with the usual "Tell me about yourself", "What would you be able to bring to the job", and "Why Target?" questions. I was also asked whether I can work under pressure and if I would be able to get through training quickly. After the interview, the TL told me to wait in the waiting room again for my second interview with one of the Executive Team Leaders (ETL). At this point, I did not know how many other interviews I was going to have because HR did not make that clear to begin with, though I could have asked.

My next interview with the ETL in another office started out almost the same way as my first, in which we introduced ourselves and I answered pretty much the same questions asked in my first interview. At this point it felt very redundant since my responses were being taken down in the same paper packet. But it is probable that it was good if a second set of eyes and ears grasped a sense of who I am and what I am bringing with me to the job. However, a differentiating aspect of this interview was that I had to answer hypothetical scenario questions, "What would you do if..." After seeing Glassdoor's reviews of the Target interview process, as well as through shopping with my mother, I already had an idea of how to respond to those questions. We proceeded with whether there were other areas in Target in which I was interested in working besides in softlines. Perhaps based on my response, we then closed the interview with the ETL saying I would have to come back another day during the week for a third interview with another ETL from another department who was not even in work at that day. This day would be scheduled through phone; they would call me back.

I came in for the second day of my interview process and waited again at the TSC around 15 minutes earlier than my scheduled time. However, I was surprised this time that HR called me in earlier than my scheduled time when they already saw me waiting. This time, I had my interview in a conference room, and the ETL asked the same preliminary questions about myself. The ETL then asked if I had seen "the video" about working at Target. I didn't, so the ETL attempted to put it on the TV that was in the room, but the ETL did not have the CD, so instead the ETL briefed me on what the video was about. The ETL asked if I was interested in working in Guest Services, to which I said yes, but the ETL seemed on the fence about how I was responding to the hypothetical scenario questions that followed. ETL really wanted me to work at Target, but the only thing that was challenging was figuring out where I would be put. We then took a "field trip" around the store over to a couple of the grocery aisles where I was asked what I would do to make the aisles look better (and then show the ETL right there). Believe me that I had no experience actually doing this in a store, but I had my own ideas of how store aesthetics should be maintained, so when I did my thing, it seemed pretty clear to the ETL that I be put in Hardlines (products other than clothes) where I will be cross-trained in Entertainment. That was a relieving for me because I really did not want to be picking up and folding clothes all day. At the moment, and even looking back, I felt that this "field trip" with the ETL was a very good idea because, while we were still in the interview process, I was able to demonstrate hands-on what I would do, and actually do, in a particular situation. It was not all about talk, but actual doing that was involved, which I feel more interviews should really involve. We returned to HSC and the ETL offered me a conditional job offer, and I would have to come back for drug testing.

Interview Questions
    • What previous experiences can you bring to this job? (I've never worked before, let alone in retail, so I thought this was a bit tough to give a *direct* answer)   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

They called me about a month later after I applies online. I didn't expect them to consider me so I never followed up after submitting the application. Well, the first interview was quick and easy. HR wasn't there to continue the process to I had to wait a few days for them to call back to schedule the second one. The second one was fairly simple but more nerve wracking than the first. They gave me an offer on the spot (need to pass drug and background). Orientation a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you completed a task but realized you did it wrong and had to start over.   View Answer
    • If the customer claims a product is two dollars less than what rings up what do you do?   View Answer
    • What to do if a lady wants a shoe size that is out of stock?   View Answer
    • What experience do you have related to this job?   View Answer
    No negotiation since I have no experience but cashier in my area is a dollar over min wage so it's not that bad for entry.

Buyer Merchandising-MBA Level Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target.

I attended a career fair-NSHMBA- and had applied to Target prior to the fair. I had a phone interview that lasted 45 minutes with an HR recruiter who was very helpful. Questions were typical why Target? Why Buyer? and also "Walk me through your resume" She also explained the job position, work culture, and ended by my asking a few questions. She invited me to a follow up interview at the conference, which I gladly accepted, and told me it would be approximately 30 minutes long.
    At the career fair, my interviewer, another HR manager, asked only a couple behavioral questions. "Tell me about a time you were pressed for time, and how did you handle it". She was standoffish and wasn't writing anything I was telling her. I felt there was no bonding between us, but went on hoping that my answers would be adequate. After only 10 minutes she asked if I had any questions, and then talked a little about Minneapolis and her background. Total 15-20 minutes.

Distribution Operations Interview

I talked to a recruiter at a career fair. They offered me an interview after it showed that I was truly interested within the company and inquired further about the recruiter and the company. First interview was scheduled within a week, and if you get past the first round of interviews you take an assessment test, then another interview gets scheduled.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you had to tell someone how you couldn't complete a task.   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Target.

I applied to one specific location, but a different location got my info and called me to come to their job fair. I went there thinking they had my application, but I had to fill one out by hand. The first interview was more into how you are as a person. The interviewer asked me questions about myself and what I do in my free time. I made it to the second interview with 2 managers each asking me more formal "experience" questions. I made the mistake of not being specific in my answers because I felt like I was being rushed. I think they score you in each question from 1-10 and if you score high enough, you'll get hired.

Interview Questions
    • You scan an item for sale at $17, but the customer tells you she thought it was $12. What do you do?   View Answers (2)

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Hiring process was fairly average. We talked about my past experiences and then the recruiter began to ask me behavior based questions. It's all about fit with Target. They can teach you the job but you have to fit in with the company culture, which is awesome by the way!

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any interview questions but it seemed to be the standard interview method. STAR method was helpful however if you use the SHARE method you'll really blow it out of the water   Answer Question
    There was no negotiating hourly pay for the summer internship however there were rumors that some interns got paid more than others.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

Got a call after applying online, they gave me a phone interview, asking basic questions like why i want to work for target, personal experiences, adn a few scenario questions. i was told what to expect during the in person interview then given an interview date. i went in a few days later, and was brought in to a room. the lady interviewing basically asked the same questions, but in more detail. then after i was told i would get a call or an email. i heard nothing. (i apparently failed my first interview)

Interview Questions
    • if an item rings up as one price but the customer says its another price, what do you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target.

I was called to set up an interview a few days after submitting my application. First I interviewed with a younger woman and she asked me the basic questions about previous work experience ("Name a time when you went above and beyond for a customer") and why I wanted to work for Target. At the end of the interview I thanked her for her time and said I hoped to hear from her soon and she assured me she believed I definitely would be. I was asked to stay so I could be interviewed by the Hiring Manager; she introduced herself and right off the bat and told me they'd like to offer me the position given that I was okay with the pay and could get to the drug testing location within twenty-four hours.
    While it was a little unexpected and overwhelming at the time, I accepted the offer, passed the drug test, and was later called and given an orientation date. At orientation there was a plethora of information given as well as a packet of brochures; but no information on the sale of REDcards or the 90-day "trial" period; which seem like important things to mention.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, but I was offered a little over minimum wage in my state.

Cashier Interview

Applied online and Target called me within a few days. Interview questions were entirely standard mainly "tell me about a time when" questions. They look to see if you're a people person and have a positive outlook on life as well as your ability to function well as part of a team. First interview is with HR usually; then a second is with a manager that would normally be your direct supervisor. They job offer you on the spot after the second interview and then have you go take a drug test which you have 24 hours to complete.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you didn't meet a goal and how you dealt with it moving forward."   Answer Question