Target

146 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Pedro, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Pedro, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target.

The process took a long time. While the initial interviewing process was done within 2 weeks, it took them almost a month to let me know when my orientation date was. They then called me in and told me that the orientation was the next day. This did not give me much time to move around my schedule for this new position. It was very unprofessional and inconvenient.

Interview Questions
    • Do you see yourself growing within this organization? How?   Answer Question
    not able to negotiate. offered me minimum wage and then sent me on my way to get a drug test.

Seasonal Sales Floor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Target in November 2014.

I got there for my appointment and then asked to fill out a questionnaire with various scenarios. There were multiple choice answers. It was easy common sense. After that was done, I had my first interview with a sales floor manager. That went well. Just be happy, positive, and smile plenty. I was asked "What I would do if I suspect a customer is stealing?" "If a guest is looking for a shoe and cannot find it on the sales floor, what would you do?" "Recall a time when you had to multitask?" "If I was to call your past supervisor or teachers, what would they say are your strengths and weaknesses?"

Interview Questions
    • Recall a time you made a mistake and how you reacted being called on it and how you fixed it?   Answer Question
    No negotiations. This is the job and the hourly wage. Accept or decline?

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Target.

The interview went smooth. they are friendly but the bad thing is sometimes they don't call you back. but overall they just want to get to know you. Go in with a clear mind

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

On the first day of the interview, I had to wait at TSC (Team Member Services Center). I arrived 10 minutes earlier than my scheduled time, but HR did not call me in until 20 minutes after my scheduled time. We did not do interviews at the TSC, but we went up to the third floor to the ETL offices. There was another potential employee waiting with me, and he went to have his interview first while I waited in a small section of the offices. Yeah, more waiting.

I interviewed a Team Leader (TL) first in the TL's office. It was a pretty ordinary interview, though I felt that there were a lot of questions asked. The TL introduced himself first. We then discussed my availability, then the TL gave me information about the position Target was offering me. I was being offered to work in Softlines (clothes) where I would be picking up and folding clothes and restocking areas when necessary. The TL told me what was expected and asked whether I was interested in this position. I was actually reluctant at first because I can't fold clothes quickly, but I answered that I was willing to do anything because I just needed a job. The TL then asked if there was a particular person under which I was willing to be trained, whether the person be male or female. We then followed with the usual "Tell me about yourself", "What would you be able to bring to the job", and "Why Target?" questions. I was also asked whether I can work under pressure and if I would be able to get through training quickly. After the interview, the TL told me to wait in the waiting room again for my second interview with one of the Executive Team Leaders (ETL). At this point, I did not know how many other interviews I was going to have because HR did not make that clear to begin with, though I could have asked.

My next interview with the ETL in another office started out almost the same way as my first, in which we introduced ourselves and I answered pretty much the same questions asked in my first interview. At this point it felt very redundant since my responses were being taken down in the same paper packet. But it is probable that it was good if a second set of eyes and ears grasped a sense of who I am and what I am bringing with me to the job. However, a differentiating aspect of this interview was that I had to answer hypothetical scenario questions, "What would you do if..." After seeing Glassdoor's reviews of the Target interview process, as well as through shopping with my mother, I already had an idea of how to respond to those questions. We proceeded with whether there were other areas in Target in which I was interested in working besides in softlines. Perhaps based on my response, we then closed the interview with the ETL saying I would have to come back another day during the week for a third interview with another ETL from another department who was not even in work at that day. This day would be scheduled through phone; they would call me back.

I came in for the second day of my interview process and waited again at the TSC around 15 minutes earlier than my scheduled time. However, I was surprised this time that HR called me in earlier than my scheduled time when they already saw me waiting. This time, I had my interview in a conference room, and the ETL asked the same preliminary questions about myself. The ETL then asked if I had seen "the video" about working at Target. I didn't, so the ETL attempted to put it on the TV that was in the room, but the ETL did not have the CD, so instead the ETL briefed me on what the video was about. The ETL asked if I was interested in working in Guest Services, to which I said yes, but the ETL seemed on the fence about how I was responding to the hypothetical scenario questions that followed. ETL really wanted me to work at Target, but the only thing that was challenging was figuring out where I would be put. We then took a "field trip" around the store over to a couple of the grocery aisles where I was asked what I would do to make the aisles look better (and then show the ETL right there). Believe me that I had no experience actually doing this in a store, but I had my own ideas of how store aesthetics should be maintained, so when I did my thing, it seemed pretty clear to the ETL that I be put in Hardlines (products other than clothes) where I will be cross-trained in Entertainment. That was a relieving for me because I really did not want to be picking up and folding clothes all day. At the moment, and even looking back, I felt that this "field trip" with the ETL was a very good idea because, while we were still in the interview process, I was able to demonstrate hands-on what I would do, and actually do, in a particular situation. It was not all about talk, but actual doing that was involved, which I feel more interviews should really involve. We returned to HSC and the ETL offered me a conditional job offer, and I would have to come back for drug testing.

Interview Questions
    • What previous experiences can you bring to this job? (I've never worked before, let alone in retail, so I thought this was a bit tough to give a *direct* answer)   Answer Question

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

The called and set a time for interview in 2 days..First again was an online assessment in store then first interview ,this manager was positive minded person asked several common questions and availability(Sundays,Xmas..) then second interview with a manager who was so tough and serious almost no smile :( asking the same questions but direction was somehow strange that could guess she wont carry positive way ..
    After 2 days received an email in 2:30 AM they are unable to offer a job now
    As an experience was worthy.

Interview Questions
    • What happened when you failed to do a task in your previous job?   View Answer

Executive Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

I found the Target interview process to be extremely professional and enjoyable. It was also quite long and I want to provide as many details as possible to help future applicants. Here are the steps that I took to become a Target ETL:

1. I met recruiters at my local college career fair. They followed up with me about two weeks after our meeting. Their emails included a series of detailed instructions about the interview process which I found to be extremely beneficial. Memorize and obey their structure and you'll be golden! Most of their questions are behavior based, which includes describing the situation, explaining how you handled it, and discussing the final outcome.

2. Before my first interview, I completed a series of online tests. Be forewarned-- they took me about two hours to complete! There were a couple personality tests, a logic test, and simulations of workplace related problems. Everything was mostly straightforward, but the logic test was HARD! Try to practice in advance if you aren't skilled at that type of thinking.

3. I had my first interview with the Store Team Leader at a local Target. He asked for an overview of who I am, why I want to work for Target, and several behavior based questions. He also prompted me to ask a LOT of questions, so try to prepare a lot in advance. This will help you seem interested. This initial interview took about an hour.

4. He then immediately moved me on to the HR Director of the store. She asked me a similar series of behavior based questions. Don't be afraid to be repetitive! This interview took about thirty minutes.

5. I then shadowed a current ETL for about 30 minutes. She asked me what I thought of Target and which roles that I thought I would enjoy. She also asked me a lot of questions about my strengths and weaknesses.

6. After these three consecutive interviews, Target got back to me in less then a week. I was then scheduled for a 30 minute phone interview with the District Team Leader. He asked me several of the same behavior based questions that I'd been asked before.

7. A few days later, I was scheduled for another interview with the HR Market Leader. This interview only lasted ten minutes and was comprised of all of the same questions I'd already been asked. I was nervous that the phone call was so fast, but it was probably because they'd already made their decision.

8. Two days later, I received a formal job offer by phone! I had to complete a drug test (urine) within 24 hours of receiving my offer.

My advice? Look up a list of behavior based questions and answer them out loud. Think: situation, how you handled it and the outcome. If you bring a positive attitude and ask a lot of questions, you'll do great!

Interview Questions
    • "What is your greatest strength and weakness?"
      "When's a time you had a serious disagreement with a coworker and how did you handle it?"
      "What's an example of a time you made a mistake with big consequences and how did you fix it?"
      "Name a time when you had to motivate and inspire a team."
      "Describe a time when you overcame a lot of obstacles."
      "Retail has a lot of long hours at varying times. How do you think you'll be able to cope with that schedule?"

Answer Question
    No negotiation, starting offer was great.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied online around the beginning of October. I was contacted vis phone roughly a week later by a member of HR. I was told I would be called the next day for a phone interview with a TL. They called the next day, and I was then told I would recieve another call telling me when to come in for a 1:1 interview with a hiring manager. I recieved that call a day later. Once in store, I waited for just under an hour. The interview was easy, and the manager asked all pf the questions that I had seen on here. I was offered the position and accepted. The process took about two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something interesting about yourself.   View Answer
    I was not able to negotiate the pay rate.

Cashier Seasonal Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pomona, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pomona, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Target in October 2014.

I applied and was called about a week after. I went in and they had me fill out a questionnaire that was multiple choice. When I was done I was interviewed by a very friendly female and she asked me 3 questions that were "tell me about a time when". She asked me a bit about myself and when I was done she took me to another room to watch a video about target and what they expect. After that I waited and I had a second interview where they also asked 3 questions and my availability. The questions where "if a guest was looking for a shoe and the size he wanted was out of stock what would you do" "if you ring up an item and its $19 but the customer insists its $17 what would you do". After that I waited and I had a third interview which wasn't really an interview. He asked me my availability of I was bilingual and and asked me some personal questions relating to school. He asked if I was familiar with the red card and how I would bring up the topic to a guest who doesn't have it. After that day they said they'd give me a call within a week to let me know.

Flow Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Target in October 2014.

I submitted application and got called around two weeks later saying that they wanted to interview me for flow team member I went through two interviews both with specific questions on flow team situations. At the end of my second interview they asked if I was interested in any other position besides flow team member and I said I would love to be a cashier. Later an hr member came In and said I was give a conditional job offer as a cashier so I was happy they took my choice into consideration. The conditional job offer basically meant I got the job as long as the drug test came back positive. They said this would take two weeks but in three days I was called for orientation.

Target Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Applied online and got a call within a week to go in for an interview. When I got there I took the assessment and waited for 10 minutes. Then some guy came and took me to his office and began to ask questions. He kept getting called through his walkie talkie and rushed to finish the interview. Asked pretty standard questions... Why do you want to work at Target etc. He didn't really seem interested in what I was answering just wanted to get the interview over with.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to multitask. What was the outcome? Tell me about a time you exceeded someone's expectations.   Answer Question