Target

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Target

Interview Details – All of my interviews took place by phone because I lived in Philadelphia at the time. There were two phone interviews mostly asking team-oriented questions. After the second interview, I received an offer.

Interview Question – Question about how I have handled team conflict   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is possibly room to negotiate if you are moving a far distance to work at the headquarters. However, I do not know anyone who negotiated their salary for an entry-level analyst position.

Merchandise Planning Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through my university, and the recruiter responded in two days asking to set up an preliminary phone interview. The first interview lasted about 30 minutes, including time for questions at the end, and was very informal and conversational. The interviewer was very friendly, which kept the interview from seeming too intimidating. I was then told that within a week I would find out whether I had been chosen to continue on in the process. A week later, we set up a second phone interview, about 30 minutes, that mainly consisted of behavioral questions, in the STAR format. I found out soon after that I had been selected to continue to the final process, which was a full day at the Target HQ in Minneapolis. This final process consisted of 2 1:1 interviews, which was made up of further behavioral and situation based questions.

Interview Question – What would your current or previous employers say is your biggest strength, and weakness?   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Target in November 2011.

Interview Details – I went to an information session at my college, applied online by submitting my resume, and received an email saying I needed to complete an intelligence test before the process could continue. There is a pretty difficult math/graph section and an easier (in my opinion) logic section. I found out about a week after submitting my application that I got a first-round interview on campus which consisted of a 1:1 interview with four behavioral-based questions. The interviewer does not respond much to what you say, and just writes a lot, so it is not a very interactive interview at all. This doesn't mean you are not doing well, though. There is time for questions at the end. About 1 week later, I received an email from my recruiter saying I had been selected for 2nd round interviews at headquarters. The interview day at headquarters took place 3 weeks later. It is a full day (9 to 5). Most of the day you ask lots of questions to business analysts, buyers, etc. They provide lunch and do a presentation. Then there are 2, half hour, 4-question behavior based interviews, very similar to the first round. There is a reception at the end of the day with all of the candidates (about 50 of us there on my interview day). I interviewed on a Friday and found on the following Tuesday that I had an offer!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to work with a team to solve a complex problem.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you had to sort through a lot of difficult information in a short period of time.   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Target in September 2011.

Interview Details – Target's hiring process was fairly good, overall. I applied on their Career Site for my position and received a call from a recruiter about a week later. The recruiter was an awesome guy; definitely lived up to Target's "fast, fun, and friendly" mantra. The initial interview was very relaxed and comfortable; simple background information type questions. My recruiter informed me of my moving on in the process before we ended our initial conversation. I was then informed of an impending intelligence test, which consisted of a lot of math/finance based questions. We were later told that it is "used to filter out the idiots, because on an intelligence scale of 1-10, everyone at Target is at least an 8.5. I passed, had my second interview, which was all behavioral based questions and again, was informed before the conversation ended that I would be invited to their HQ for the final round of interviews.

The event was very well-done. Put me up in a hotel for 2 nights, paid for literally everything...flights, hotel, food, transportation, etc. Arrived at HQ, which is beautiful, and started the day off with a couple speakers, a review of the day (they have a detailed schedule for you personally), and a Q&A. You will be enjoying the day with at least 20 other potential candidates, but all the interviews are individualized. 2 interviews -- one with a senior member of the staff and one with someone at the director level -- all behavioral based. The day ends with some paperwork and a nice reception, at which point, a lot of the executives came down and talked to us.

Received my contingent offer a week later; after completion of a drug test (must be done within 24 hours), and background check, a firm offer is in place and that's it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult or unpopular decision?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you used your analytical abilities to solve a complex problem?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Came in at a salary higher than they initially told us, so I was happy. For the BA positions, most of the salaries are pre-determined based on education level and work experience, so there will not be much wiggle room.

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in May 2010.

Interview Details – After applying online 4 months before, I received a call to have a 30 minute phone interview of all behavioral-based interviews. After that, I had two 30 minute behavioral-based interviews at the HQ. After that, I received an offer three business days later.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you worked with someone and knew something was wrong with them without them telling you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was a $50,000 salary and $2,000 for relocation. I did not negotiate the offer and accepted after one day of consideration.

Merchandise Planning Business Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Target in April 2011.

Interview Details – I was referred to Target by a friend's friend.

Target initially contacted me via phone and asked to set up a time to have a 30 minute phone conversation a few days later. That conversation was fairly casual and consisted of questions about my interests and academic/work background. They asked a few Situation | Action | Result (SAR) questions. At the end of this conversation, they asked me to come to Target for their day long interview program, scheduled a couple weeks later.

The interview program is all day. The morning consists of a presentation about Target, Minneapolis, and the position. Then you shadow a Business Analyst for about an hour. Finally there is a lunch with a current manager. Throughout all of this, ask lots of questions and be energetic and dynamic.

The afternoon consists of two 1:1 interviews, each lasting about 30 minutes. Each interview asks 3-4 SAR questions, and there is plenty of time for you to ask them questions. The interviewers are friendly and more than happy to repeat a question, etc.

The program is on a Friday, and I received my offer the following Wednesday. There is little salary/benefits negotiation, as this position is fairly standard, and there are many applicants joining the program.

My advice: be extremely energetic and dynamic. Target is young, smart, and trendy, and they want their employees to reflect that. Ask lots of questions. Be sure Target's culture is a good fit for you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were working with others on a project, and they disagreed with your ideas   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you confronted a minor issue   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little negotiation. If you need relocation costs, you can probably negotiate a bit there.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Target

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target Merchandise Planning Business Analyst interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Target employees and interview candidates.