Target

3.2

276 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Merchandise Planning Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Target.

I attended my university's career and applied for a full-time position through my university. I was selected as an alternate for first round interviews. A spot opened up and I attended first rounds. The first round consisted of 4 behavioral (STAR) questions. It was very straight-forward and easy. I had other offers outstanding and the recruiters were very helpful and got back to me within a week. I attended final rounds a week ahead of schedule (again very helpful with my timeline). Final rounds were a super day from 9:15 am - 5 pm. Super day consisted of an analyst panel, guest speaker, building tour, lunch with management, 2 30 min interviews (4 behavior questions each), and a networking reception to wrap up the day.

Your final round interviewers tee you up for their business area. My interviewer told me at the reception that he really wanted me to work in his division. If you can voice your preferences early (on campus, ect), you have a better shot of interviewing with them and moving into their division.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were passionate about achieving a goal   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target.

I applied through my university career center, and got an on-campus interview. He gave me a set of 4 behavior based questions, as well as critiqued each of my answers for constructive criticism. He let me know that I qualified for an all day, on-site interview within 2 weeks. Once I was there, there were about 70 other candidates. Most of the experience is social, meeting new people, networking. I met with a buyer as well as a senior buyer, each who gave 4 behavior based questions. Make sure to prepare a list of 4-6 questions yourselves for the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    They offered me more than the average entry-level candidate due to my previous internship experience. I tried to negotiate salary as well as signing bonus, but since offer was so favorable they declined. Try anyways would be my advice!

Technology Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Target.

After speaking with the recruiter at my university's career fair and expressing interest in the position, I received an interview invitation about a week later. I had a one on one interview that lasted about 30 minutes, and the questions were standard behavioral questions. After 3 weeks, I received a phone call with the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had a conflict while working in a team, and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Hiring process was fairly average. We talked about my past experiences and then the recruiter began to ask me behavior based questions. It's all about fit with Target. They can teach you the job but you have to fit in with the company culture, which is awesome by the way!

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any interview questions but it seemed to be the standard interview method. STAR method was helpful however if you use the SHARE method you'll really blow it out of the water   Answer Question
    There was no negotiating hourly pay for the summer internship however there were rumors that some interns got paid more than others.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

Met with recruiters for a first time during the career fair and my university and then a second time at a networking event hosted by the business school. After that I applied online and was accepted for an interview. The interview was basic behavioral questions, but the key was the networking done before hand. Got an offer two days after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when...all behavioral of situational   Answer Question
    No negotiating at the internship level

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

My university hosted a career/internship fair and Target attended. I had met with a few recruiters prior to this fair, and had formed great connections. I spoke with more Target employees at the career fair, and really felt great about my upcoming interview. Additionally, I attended a meet-and-greet event that Target hosted. My interview happened to be with a man that I met at the meet-and greet event, so it was nice to see a familiar face. The interview was very conversational, my interviewer asked 5 behavioral questions. I was surprised when I received a standard HR email 3 weeks later saying that they had hired other candidates. It left a very bad taste in my mouth that I was treated as a number instead of a person after all of the work that I had put into the interview process and all of the quality connections that I had made.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you needed to utilize multiple sources to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Target in September 2014.

The overall interview process was amazing! Go to LinkedIn and message a recruiter to avoid your application falling into a black hole. Use the STAR method to answer all behavioral questions.

1. The initial phone screen is about 15-20 minutes of "Why Target?" and "Tell me about yourself." as well as moving to the Twin Cities. As an overall theme, keep in mind that Target aims to sell you to live in Minneapolis and make sure that you fit into the culture.

2. I had a behavioral style "Tell me about a time when..." with the same person who did the phone screen. I recommend looking up Target's leadership values and that it really promotes itself as a "Fun, Fast and Friendly" environment so keep in mind teamwork and camaraderie in your answers (such as how you made others more productive), but the magic word here is "I" because they interview YOU, not your coworkers. On the spot, I got an invite to fly out on-site to HQ in Minneapolis.

3. Be prepared for a super-day at HQ, but they do take care of you such as a per-diem spending. While you're at HQ from 9-5, the two one-on-one interviews are only from 1-2. Again, behavioral, but now with senior managers. Just follow Target's FFF and also other things that make you well rounded like an interest to move in Minneapolis, love of community service or interest in one of the leadership councils. Following the interviews, there is a reception. Be sure to network with your interviewers as well as every Target employee! Like I said before, Target does give you the 360-view of Minneapolis so take the bus tour Saturday morning.

Target hires talent over anything. Don't get too hung up in how technical your degree is, but instead just check out the culture at Target and how much you can expect to grow at the company for a career. Also, expect a lot of current seniors who graduate a semester early at your super-day from the Midwest. It can be rather shocking for someone not from the Midwest.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Tell me about a time you used multiple sources of information to make a decision in the workplace.
      2. Tell me about a time you used resilience to improve yourself.
      3. Tell me about a time when you were able to work under minimal supervision and with little guidance.
        Answer Question
    No negotiation, but rather salary depends on experience. My offered salary was higher than the one we spoke about during the initial phone screen so I was happy.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Applied online. A recruiter called within a week and had an initial conversation. Phone interview with recruiter went well as my skill set and experience fit the role. I was then scheduled to speak with the hiring manager. The hiring manager was late to the call (not a big deal as it happens often) and put me on the speakerphone during our conversation. She proceeded to ask me to walk her through my resume and once I began to explain my experience, all I could hear was paper shuffling and things moving. It was very apparent that the hiring manager was focused on other tasks and multitasking while she was on the phone with me. This was a huge red flag. I wasn't able to focus and the call just went downhill from there. Afterwards, I called the recruiter and requested to be pulled out of the interview process as I didn't see it as a good fit. It was a very disappointing experience as I truly admire the brand and what it has done marketing wise.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't difficult but not having the full attention of the hiring manager did not allow me to go through my answers as I would typically would. Having that much noise coming through on a phone interview, just ruins your concentration.   Answer Question

Sourcing/Merchandise Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target.

The whole process was completed in 3 weeks. First, I had an initial phone screening with basic interview questions. In addition, they made sure I knew how to answer behavioral interview questions and use the SAR method. The in person interview took a whole morning. It consisted of an tour of the headquarter campus and 2 in-person interview. They lasted about 30 minutes and had 3 behavioral interview question. Most scenario questions were basic and straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time when you did not get along with a co-worker.   Answer Question
    Little room for negotiation, but it is an entry level position

Pharmacy Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target in July 2014.

I applied to Target online on a Tuesday, got emailed back Friday saying they had questions about my application. I called back and they said they wanted to schedule me for an interview. I agreed and it was set for the following Wednesday at the Nicollet Mall Target in Minneapolis. I prepared very well, researching their silly star interview questions and whatnot and I had a good answer for every question they threw at me in the interviews. First I had an interview with a general HR lady, then a second interview with a pharmacist. At the end, she said HR would contact me by the next Wednesday (1 week later). But by Saturday morning they emailed me saying they couldn't offer the position at this time. I guess they didn't think I fit their peppy Target culture well enough. Meh.

Interview Questions
    • 1st interview questions: Tell me about yourself, Name a time when you worked with a team to accomplish a goal, Name a time when you were juggling mutiple tasks and how you handled it, Name a time you went above and beyond your duties. 2nd Interview questions: Why Target? What experience do you have related to this position? Name a time when you made a mistake and how did you deal with it, If we contacted a previous employer what would he say about your strengths, How would you handle a situation where you're working at the cash register when a customer comes up and says a product is $17 but its really $19, How would you handle a situation when there's no shoes of a certain size for a parent's kid, etc.   Answer Question