Target

Relevance Date Difficulty

Pharmacy Technician Interview

Pharmacy Technician
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Target in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to Target online on a Tuesday, got emailed back Friday saying they had questions about my application. I called back and they said they wanted to schedule me for an interview. I agreed and it was set for the following Wednesday at the Nicollet Mall Target in Minneapolis. I prepared very well, researching their silly star interview questions and whatnot and I had a good answer for every question they threw at me in the interviews. First I had an interview with a general HR lady, then a second interview with a pharmacist. At the end, she said HR would contact me by the next Wednesday (1 week later). But by Saturday morning they emailed me saying they couldn't offer the position at this time. I guess they didn't think I fit their peppy Target culture well enough. Meh.

Interview Question – 1st interview questions: Tell me about yourself, Name a time when you worked with a team to accomplish a goal, Name a time when you were juggling mutiple tasks and how you handled it, Name a time you went above and beyond your duties. 2nd Interview questions: Why Target? What experience do you have related to this position? Name a time when you made a mistake and how did you deal with it, If we contacted a previous employer what would he say about your strengths, How would you handle a situation where you're working at the cash register when a customer comes up and says a product is $17 but its really $19, How would you handle a situation when there's no shoes of a certain size for a parent's kid, etc.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Target in March 2014.

Interview Details – Hiring process at Target is about 3 weeks. First week you will be going through some aptitude test, verbal reasoning, logical, math and intelligence tests. Second week if you pass you will go through a panel where they will ask you mostly standard interview questions like your strengths and weaknesses, and what do you want to be after five years. And the third weeks is about contract details and meeting the staff. A good way to prepare for the interview is using career and selection books or there are some app's like (the aptitude interview) app in appstore.

Interview Question – At the second week i got a question from the panel interview and it was like sell me your dream, any dream of yours?   Answer Question

Sourcing/Merchandise Specialist Interview

Sourcing/Merchandise Specialist
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – The whole process was completed in 3 weeks. First, I had an initial phone screening with basic interview questions. In addition, they made sure I knew how to answer behavioral interview questions and use the SAR method. The in person interview took a whole morning. It consisted of an tour of the headquarter campus and 2 in-person interview. They lasted about 30 minutes and had 3 behavioral interview question. Most scenario questions were basic and straightforward.

Interview Question – Tell me of a time when you did not get along with a co-worker.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little room for negotiation, but it is an entry level position

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Target in March 2012.

Interview Details – The internal interview process for an Analyst to become a Senior Analyst is quite rigorous. In addition to 2-3 real interviews (with people outside of my division and network), Target required 3-4 mock interviews with senior managers within my division. The mock interviews were more stressful than the real interviews because the mock interviewers all have different opinions and ideas as to how I answer questions, including the examples that I use and the level of detail that I share. All of their feedback was given to my senior manager, then relayed to me. The additional people involved in this stressful period added to my tension and made a more nerve-wracking experience out of the situation. Many, many hours were devoted to mock interview preparation, mock interviews, then finally interview preparation. This was an unnecessary time and nerve burden that I didn't appreciate. Rather than celebrate my "wins" I instead learned how to curb and reinvent my "opportunities". Also, before the internal interview is conducted, there is an unwritten consensus as to whether or not an applicant should advance regardless of one's tact under interview fire. As for many things in life, it is all about 'who you know'.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time that you had to work with a difficult manager or person on your team."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is zero negotiation on the internal promotion path here. Even when I first started, I was told there is zero negotiation for entry level jobs, as the base pay is final.

Merchandise Specialist Interview

Merchandise Specialist
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in June 2014.

Interview Details – After being referred to the position & applying online, I received an email within one week to schedule a phone interview time. On the phone interview day, the recruiter called me about 10 minutes late. The interview lasted about 20 minutes, including several personal questions along with 2 behavioral based questions. Several weeks later I was invited to the Minneapolis campus for 2 1:1 interviews and a tour of the location. Each of the interviewers were polite & friendly, but seemed to be a bit unprepared. We were told by the recruiter that we would be given a call the next day, and at the very latest Friday (two days later). After hearing no response for several days, I contacted the recruiter who said we would be called within another several days, as he was running very behind. Finally, about a week later, he called 2 other interviewee that I knew to offer them the job. Then he emailed me on a Saturday to let me know that one of my interviewers left the country without turning in my interview materials, so I would be waiting even longer. After about 3 weeks of anxiously waiting, I received a phone call saying I was not offered the job. Overall, the interview process was long, unorganized, and a frustrating.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to use a creative process to solve an unexpected problem.   Answer Question

Pharmacy Technician Interview

Pharmacy Technician
Cottage Grove, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in June 2014.

Interview Details – Called by HR to schedule interview. Then when I got to Target they asked me to do the followup survey which I was unable to do since the keyboard was broken. After finding another computer, I was able to complete my survey and be interviewed. Simple interview but the interviewers seemed somewhat inexperienced. They read off a packet of paper.

Interview Question – When did you make a mistake and how did you resolve the error?
Was there a time when you went up and beyond expectations?
  Answer Question

Marketing Producer Interview

Marketing Producer
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in October 2010.

Interview Details – Behavior interviewing. Must be comfortable sharing stories about how you had setbacks and overcame them. Need to be as specific as possible with what actions you took and what you learned.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you failed to meet a deadline.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating.

Electronics Team Member/Salesfloor/Instocks Interview

Electronics Team Member/Salesfloor/Instocks
Maple Grove, MN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in April 2014.

Interview Details – Hiring process for a sales associate team member at Target retail stores:

APPLICATION PROCESS

First step, complete part one of the online application process using their in-store computer kiosks. Total time to complete = 45 mins.

Second step, complete part two of the online application process using their in-store computer kiosk. This consisted of 80 real life, situational questions pertaining to the job I applied to. (ex. A customer disputes the price of an item when checking out. Although the price is clearly displayed on the register, but she insists the price displayed by the item rack was much lower, what would you do to resolve this?) Total time to complete = 40 minutes

Thirst step, I was greeted by the person that was going to interview me. He introduced himself as an HR team member and brought me back into a cluttered office where we sat in close proximity from one another. Facing each other in dead silence, we spent the entire first few minutes figuring out how to sit between the arm rests of the two rigid plastic without completely crushing our manly parts. Failing to come up with a reasonable solution, we both forced ourselves into the chairs and did our best to hide the intense pain for the remainder of the interview. I give him credit for bearing through the situation, but he could have easily solved the problem by simply trading our chairs with bigger chairs in the room that were in storage.

Fourth step, after the 20 min interview was over he explained that he thinks I am a good fit for the position and that he was going to go get the HR Manager for my second and final interview. About 15 mins later, the HR Manager arrived. He was not prepared at all to conduct an interview and spent the first 5 mins explaining that HR was not his passion and was angry he was moved from grocery sales manager to HR. While I sympathized with his frustration, I felt it to be unprofessional considering his level of responsibility and a it was very odd to hear him openly share that information with me. He conducted a very fast, 10 minute interview because he couldn't get the 30 minute VHS video to play on at 27" tube TV.

He offered me the position, I accepted, and attended orientation the following week.

Overall, the hiring process is lengthy but it is very comparable to the hiring process at most other department stores.

Pro's: Target excelled at following up with me in a very timely manner and I thought the entire process from start to finished moved quite smoothly.

Con's: The employees that conducted my interview lacked HR experience, did not create an environment conducive to holding a formal interview, and did not appear to be at all concerned about the quality of the interview/hiring process in general. It was vary apparent that there was a lack of communication among Target employees in the hiring area, but instead of seeing general concern regarding the dysfunction I left the interview with a job offer feeling like they avoided/minimized the dysfunction and that I was not important enough for them to take any time to prepare for our meeting.

Ultimately, I declined the job offer. I am a firm believer that the signs I saw, like the dysfunction at the interview, says a lot about how a company treats it's employees in general. Later, I accepted an offer at a different company basing my gut instinct of the interview process. The interview was well organized, they ensured I was comfortable during the interview, shared with me their personal journey's with the company, and conveyed a true passion for what they do. These values held true after I became a full time employee with that company and I have never looked back since accepting the position :)

Interview Question – Can the Interview/Application process and experience in an organization help determine whether or not to accept the job offer?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I declined the position because the interview process felt disconnected from a formal procedure and I felt as though they treated the process as if it were a burden to their schedule rather than it being an exciting opportunity to potentially find a valued asset/team member for their organization.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Executive Team Leader
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in February 2014.

Interview Details – I initially contacted the company through a campus recruiting event, about a week later they reached out to me for an on-campus interview. The campus recruiter showed a lot of interest and really tried to sell the company. Maybe about one more week passed after the campus interview, and I was advised I would be contacted by a store and a district manager. All the questions that were asked were situation-based. As an international student at the time, the interview with the district manager went a little bit differently, and her main focus was on whether or not I would need sponsorship.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you did not agree with a change in policy, what did you do?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Director of Supply Chain Interview

Director of Supply Chain
Saint Paul, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Two process. First day with Vice President, Senior Director, HR Manager and a team of Managers. Second day was a third party conducted battery of tests - skills and psychological.

Interview Question – There were none that I had not already been asked in the past. Very predictable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy as I was working through a highly skilled recruiter.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!