Target Interview Questions in Ohio

Updated Apr 16, 2015
Updated Apr 16, 2015

2.8

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target (Beavercreek, OH).

Interview

I got a call for an interview and went in. They had me wait for a while but then took me into a room and asked me some simple questions. I later got a call for the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation.

Executive Team Leader Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target (Columbus, OH).

Interview

Had an on campus interview, then 3 interviews on site the next week. Was told I would hear back in one week, took 4 weeks. Followed up every week, and was told i would hear bavck in a week ezch time. Last time recieved an automated email saying they were pursuing other candidates

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target (Fairview Park, OH) in February 2013.

Interview

I had a disorganized phone interview with three different people. Once I got past that, I had a one on one interview with a leader on duty. Basic questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, they just told me what the pay would be

Group Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Target (Columbus, OH).

Interview

I found the position through a friend and applied online. I was contacted by HR Recruiter and had a brief phone interview and asked to do an online test (logic, some math). This was followed by a more in depth phone interview and conversation about the position. The onsite interview consisted of three interviews with two senior leaders per interview. They focus mostly on how you work through a situation, how you reflected on the experience, and how you used your experience going forward. They look for leaders who focus on people and long term trends over black and white situations. Overall very pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, although they push to see if you learned from your experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. They offered me a salary based on my degree and previous job. No sign on bonus incentives.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target (Cincinnati, OH) in December 2012.

Interview

I interviewed through an on-campus interview and thought it went well but not the greatest. I really clicked with one interviewer but the other was cold. I then was interviewed two more times. Both were very interested in me and told me I would be starting within two weeks and it was mine. I then had to interview with a District Leader who asked me the same questions but could not answer any of my questions as he was new. I was then offered a job for less than half the pay of the Executive Team Leader. This was a total slap in the face and waste of time. I'm not sure why the district leader did not like me. He said I wasn't able to answer the questions to his level. I was really rubbed the wrong way, not because I didn't get the job but because I was told it was mine and then turned down for not answering how he thought I should. I found it contradictory as I asked him three job specific questions and he couldn't answer any.

Interview Questions

• None, I was prepared for all the questions and did my homework.   1 Answer

Executive Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Target (Akron, OH) in October 2012.

Interview

In October I attend a career fair on campus, and dropped off my resume with a Target recruiter. After reviewing my resume, she signed me up for a on-campus interview. The interview took place one week later and consisting of STAR (Situation Task Action Result)and Behavioral questions. The interviewers are looking for detailed, but concise examples of how you handled an issue. In other words use examples that have a clear path of problem evaluation, problem solving, and problem outcome. Two weeks later I received an emailing letting me know that I had moved on to a second interview, this time with a district manager. The set up was exactly the same, just with slightly different questions.

As a word of advice they are looking for strong leadership and teamwork examples. Make sure to let your personality show through (Target's motto is fast, fun, and friendly), research the company and the position, and have confidence in your credentials.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you made a decision without thinking about the consequences.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Hourly rate of 16.50/hr at 400 hours total.

Team Lead - Operations and Logistics Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target (Columbus, OH) in October 2012.

Interview

First phone interview was simple. The purpose was to make sure I had the basic skills required to fill the job.

The second phone interview was supposed to be 5 scenario based questions. I used this website, spent several hours the day before preparing responses and a cheat sheet and all in all I felt I was very well prepared. During the phone interview I was only asked 3/5 questions. After third question HR Rep told me everything went well and that I would be interviewing at the warehouse next and that I would be asked similar questions to what I was asked that day. She said she was going on vacation soon and would provide me dates for my next round of interviews when she returned.

The following week I got the notorious email telling me that Target is considering other applicants and that it was their policy not to give feedback on why I was removed from the applicant pool.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to build trust with an employee who did not like you.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to tell a supervisor "no".   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to motivate an employee.   Answer Question

Target Back Room Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Target (Huber Heights, OH) in September 2012.

Interview

I was called the day after I submitted my online application and resume. I went in for an interview, completed some computer psychological tests, interviewed with the GSTL and ETL back to back, answering some of the same questions. Both had "interview booklets" they were writing in while I was speaking. After the interview with the ETL a young HR rep came into the room with a handful of papers and very mater-of-factly informed me that I was being offered a position as a team member, front end, at $7.75/hour and gave me the information about when and where to obtain my mandatory drug test. I left feeling very confused, not certain about what job I had been offered exactly (we had discussed more than one) and when and where I would be training and working.

Interview Questions

• Why Target? Not a hard one for me to answer, just unexpected.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none. I was offered $7.75/hour, part-time. My first pay check indicated that I was making $8/hour. Never questioned it. After my 90-day-probation my rate went to $8.25/hr. almost automatically. Again I never questioned it and no one offered any explaination.

Pharmacist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target (Trotwood, OH) in August 2012.

Interview

There were 2 interviews. The first was a phone interview and I did very well on it. The second interview was an on-site interview. Basically, all of their questions involved leadership, so try to play that up as much as possible. Also, I'd recommend reading their description of the job and reusing a lot of their phrasing. For example, they talked about "trusted-health care professional" in mine, so I gave a story about one of my experiences as an intern with a pharmacist who had the wrong approach. Another important thing would be to keep in mind that they love the situational questions and want a specific example from your past as an answer. This can be a little bit of a difficult task if you don't know the question ahead of time, so study up on here and other sites about specific questions they ask.

A huge point for me that I kind of messed up on was that I was never interviewed by a pharmacist. Both interviews were with the "business" side of things at Target and not pharmacists themselves. I had only been interviewed by residencies before this interview, so this kind of threw me off a little bit since you want to brag less about a specific situation in pharmacy were you did something smart (since they won't know if what you did was smart or not) and brag more about your assets to a business (leadership, work ethic, etc). So adjust your speeches and situational questions to talk like you would to a patient rather than to a health care professional.

Ultimately, I stumbled on finding a good situation for one of their questions to match their "specific situation" format and think that was the reason I didn't get an offer. But as to not scare anyone, I feel like if I interviewed at another Target and knowing what I know now about their interview process, I could definately get a spot. So hopefully this helps you out in what to expect. Just prepare a ton an search for all of the possible situational questions you could get before both interviews.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time where you made a mistake and had to take responsibility for it.   Answer Question

Sales Attendant, Cart Attendant, Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target (Cincinnati, OH) in August 2012.

Interview

I walked into Target and asked one of the first employees I saw that I was there for an interview (because I was not told who to ask for or where to go.) The first man I talked to was very professional and had me take an online assessment.
    After that I had to wait for someone else to come speak to me. 5 minutes later, the Team Leader came out to interview me in the back. He was not quite as professional as the first guy, with his untucked, dirty-looking shirt, but other than that he was nice and direct. But he was disorganized, unfortunately.
    After searching for about 5 minutes for an interview instruction sheet, we proceeded to another room to begin the interview. I felt confident enough in my answers, but I had to be interviewed again by another man, who was much more professional and articulate: the manager. Of course, this made me nervous, because he ended up asking some of the same questions, but told me to be much more specific and ask for different answers. Anyway, during the interview he was humorous and easy to speak to, which made the process a bit easier.
    Overall, the experience went well, I enjoyed speaking to everyone I met. The overall people who worked at atmosphere were very nice.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you worked with a group of people and tell about the interactions and what the overall outcome was.   Answer Question
    • Name a mistake and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had to help someone.   Answer Question