Target

Average Difficulty
48 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Floor Team Leader

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Target in August 2012.

Interview Details – You will have 3 interviews. The first will be with an ETL. If you make it through that you will interview with the Store Team Lead. If you make it through at interview you still interview with the district team lead. All of the interviews will consist of a "getting to know you" question followed by three situationally based questions Ex: "tell me about a time when..." You will be asked to come up with a situation from a previous experience. They will want you to list the situation followed by your specific behaviors in the situation and then finally what the outcome of the situation was.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time you made a mistake and how you handled the situation"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They presented a wage and I took it. Negotiation was not an option.

Independence, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in June 2013.

Interview Details – One over the phone interview that is a Team Leader (Supervisor). In person interview with Executive Team Lead (Manager). One interview with Store Team Lead (General Manager). One interview with District Team Lead (District Manager). After you've accepted the position, you're hired as a part-time employee and put on "Team Lead Bench", where you are scheduled in every area to get an idea of how to do each job. The problem with that is that the "bench" process can last months, because you're waiting for a spot to open up, and that could be anywhere in the district. During this time, they pay you bottom dollar ($9 was NEGOTIATED-they offered me $8). The interview itself is very simple-be prepared to tell everyone your strengths and "opportunities", and be prepared for them to throw you off your train of thought (that's STL, DSTL level). Very simple questions-"Tell me about a time..." and you need to explain situation, what YOU did, and the outcome. Emphasize TEAMWORK in all answers.

Interview Question – "Why should I hire an outside employee for a position I could promote from within?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – After you've accepted the position, you're hired as a part-time employee and put on "Team Lead Bench", where you are scheduled in every area to get an idea of how to do each job. The problem with that is that the "bench" process can last months, because you're waiting for a spot to open up, and that could be anywhere in the district. During this time, they pay you bottom dollar ($9 was NEGOTIATED-they offered me $8). Once you turn down a position at a store, you're seen as a liability, so choose wisely, and expect to badger for more money, because their offer is usually very low, and once offered, they are very unhappy about changing it. My initial offer for the Team Lead spot was $10.50. I declined, and eventually took the position for $13.75 after I was offered 11.50, and then 12.50. Finally got the $13.75 offer.

Sales Floor Team Leader

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Interview process is lengthy. Interviewed with ~ 7 different people. Interview is based on SAR questions. Situation, Action, Results. Ex. Tell me about a time that you had to do multiple things in a short period. The key here is to focus on the actions. Target wants to know that you know how to explore and use your resources, that you take partners and work with a sense of urgency. The other key is use a real specific example, not broad ambiguous examples. Use people, places and names.

Interview Question – all very similar questions. Just be prepared with multiple different examples.   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Leader

I applied in-person and interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a coworker, what did you do?
Tell me about yourself
What are your strength and weaknesses?
What would you do if you saw someone stealing?
Why do you want to work for our company?
Why did you leave your last job?

Interview Question – Everyone has plenty of strengths but for some reason they can never come up with a weakness. Be prepared!   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Harrisonburg, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Interview process is structural. You interview with the department (or Executive TL) manager first and then with Store TL (or Store Manager). I believe the new hiring process after 2012 also has you interview with the District Manager as well. Be prepared because they do grill you on facts of the company mission and sales for the department youre interviewing for.

Interview Question – None. A lot of the questions are retail based and if you have enough experience in retail, most of it should be logical.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They don't negotiate salary but give you an upfront hourly rate. But I had not much experience when I had interviewed. I'm sure its based on experience as well when they are willing to negotiate with you.

Pensacola, FL

I interviewed at Target in March 2012.

Interview Details – First two interviews were telephonic interview. It was followed by a back ground check and health back ground check. After passing the results the final one followed with in person interview.

Interview Question – Why do you need this job ?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate the terms I liked.

Very Easy Interview

Raleigh, NC

I applied online and interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – the process was quite simple, it all happened within 2 hours

Negotiation Details – no negotiations at all

Sales Floor Team Leader

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – 1st: apply online
2nd: they'll call if you meet qualifications
3rd: 1 st interview is with the Team Leader over the phone (Target just started doing this about two years ago, I think it was a horrible idea, it's very informal and not personal at all!)
4th: If team leader likes the phone conversation, they'll call you in for a second interview (in person) with their Executive Team Leader.
5th: If the ETL likes you, HR clerical will come out and give you a job offer (at this time you are offered pay rate)
6th: required drug test within 24hours (if not taken within the time frame, you will be disqualified from the position)
7th: once drug test passes, than you are called in for orientation. (about an 8 hours day/paid with the last 2-3 hours of shadow cashier training)

Interview Question – Their interview questions are all "Tell me about a time" They want to know specifics: what was the Situation, What you did about it, and what was the outcome (Bonus: tell them what you learned from this situation) is how most target employers like you to answer their questions.

Most Difficult Question for a entry level candidate: Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a peer and what did you do to solve that disagreement (not an exact question, can't really remember any but questions are something similar).

Another question that candidates seem to find difficult (which is actually simple) What are your good qualities and what do you need to improve on? (do not say you do not have anything to improcve; everyone does!)
  View Answer

Sales Floor Team Leader

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Three interviews. Two in store with Executive Team Leaders, one phone interview with District Team Leader. Each interview was basically two parts - First half was pretty straight forward questions, why do you want to work for Target, what experience do you have, etc. Second half was all situational/behavioral questions:

* Name a time you worked with a team and what was the result?
* What would you do if somebody asked for the location of a specific item? (always walk them to the item)
* If somebody questioned the price of an item what would you do? (change the price if it is reasonable)
* Tell me about a time you had a lot of tasks to complete at one time and how did you handle the situation?

Some questions were slightly more difficult than the above, but I don't remember them all.

Interview Question – The questions are pretty straight forward, nothing too difficult. The key to answering these questions is to make sure you are prepared to answer situational/behavioral questions with specific examples and details to explain what the situation was, what steps you took, what the result was, etc. Don't be overly wordy on any answers; short, detailed answers are better.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very minimal negotiation, but was able to get a little more money than originally offered. However, I have heard stories of others who had much better success with negotiating wages during hire and store transfers. Seems to vary from store to store.

Interviewed at Target

Interview Details – It's a series of situation-based interviews, each with 3-5 questions. Typically, you interview with your own HR, your STL, and then the DTL.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you made a mistake.   Answer Question

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!