Target Sales Floor Team Leader Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014

2.9

50 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview process is lengthy. Interviewed with ~ 7 different people. Interview is based on SAR questions. Situation, Action, Results. Ex. Tell me about a time that you had to do multiple things in a short period. The key here is to focus on the actions. Target wants to know that you know how to explore and use your resources, that you take partners and work with a sense of urgency. The other key is use a real specific example, not broad ambiguous examples. Use people, places and names.

Interview Questions
  • all very similar questions. Just be prepared with multiple different examples.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Harrisonburg, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisonburg, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Target.

Interview process is structural. You interview with the department (or Executive TL) manager first and then with Store TL (or Store Manager). I believe the new hiring process after 2012 also has you interview with the District Manager as well. Be prepared because they do grill you on facts of the company mission and sales for the department youre interviewing for.

Interview Questions
    • None. A lot of the questions are retail based and if you have enough experience in retail, most of it should be logical.   Answer Question
    They don't negotiate salary but give you an upfront hourly rate. But I had not much experience when I had interviewed. I'm sure its based on experience as well when they are willing to negotiate with you.

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Target.

I attended a carrer ffair at U of M and gave one of the recruiters my resume. I was contacted a few hours later by the HR manager and scheduled for an interview. The process consisted of four interviews with a Sales Floor Team Leader, Executive Team Leader, HR Manager, and finally the Store Team Leader. Two days later I was contacted by HR to come in for a final interview with the District Manager. All interviewers were very pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your weakness related to the position you are interviewing for.   View Answer

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Target in January 2010.

3 Interviews, 2 with assistant managers (ETL's) and 1 with the store manager (STL). They were all behavioral questions - "tell me about a time when you made a decision without permission," "tell me about a time when there was no stock of item in an area you didn't work in, what did you do" "tell me a time when you saw something unsightly, what did you do," "tell me a time you missed a deadline" etc...

It's intense, they expect you answer each question with a situation, reaction, and result. If you are too general, you will not get the job. The nice thing is if you don't have retail experience you can subsitute other experiences, for example, i mentioned missing a paper deadline once.

you have to take a drug test and they ran a credit check on me so probably will run one on you too.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Target in May 2010.

I was contacted about a week after I applied online and after being asked a few basic questions, was asked to come in for an interview. When I arrived, I was first told to complete an assessment on the computer. After I finished, I was interviewed by the Senior Team Leader - Logistics. The interview went very well and I was comfortable with all of the situational questions since I was very used to them considering my extensive background in retail. I was then passed off to the Executive Team Leader - HR. She had another 5-7 situational questions. This interview went even better and I could tell from the expressions of the interviewer that she was impressed. We had a short conversation about salary. She looked at a chart and told me with experience pay I could expect around $13.50 an hour, maybe a little more. She told me that she was definitely going to recommend me and immediately called the Store Team Leader to schedule an interview with him about a 5 days later.

When I arrived, the Store Team Leader and an Executive in Training asked 5-7 more situational questions in a panel format. We had another discussion about salary expectations. I told him that I had done a lot of research online (thank you GlassDoor) and found that the range for this position was between $13-$16. I was fine with that. When finished, I was told that I would be contacted with their decision in 3-5 days. 3 hours later I was called by the ETL-HR and told that I had passed and would need to complete an interview with the District Team Leader. I was asked to e-mail a copy of my resume to his store and scheduled to meet with him about a week later.

When I arrived I was asked to wait in the Starbucks area. He found me a few minutes later. He already had my resume and we found an office in the back. He asked another 4-5 questions off of a tablet-style laptop and jotted down notes on the screen. He asked me again what I was looking for money wise, and I told him the same thing I had told the store team leader. This interview felt very short and I was pretty discouraged afterward. I was told that I would hear a final decision in 5 "business days". Again discouraging.

However, the following Monday about 3 days later, I was called back by the ETL-HR and given an offer. I arrived at the store and was told I would need to complete a drug screen and background check. The salary offer was $15.50. She also told me that the District Team Leader was impressed with me and wanted to consider me for promotion to Senior Team Leader after my training period. This would be another $2 per hour. There is also a $1 per hour shift differential for days you come in for the early shift.

Overall I was very impressed with the interview and hiring process. At no time did I feel lost or unsure of the next step. Everyone was very professional and I never felt lowballed during the salary conversations. I had done my research, and it appears they respected that. Target likes to hear that you are continuing your education and I was asked about this several times. The salaried managers seem very upbeat and excited to be there, but most of the people I saw on the floor looked kind of down and not interested. This may be why the ETL-HR made a comment during my interview with her that no one in the store was really qualified for the job and why she liked me so much. A little enthusiasm goes a long way.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a mistake when completing a task or process. What went wrong, what did you do to fix the situation, and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to correct a customer service problem. How did you ensure that the customer was taken care of?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to handle a low performing subordinate. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you motivated your team to exceed a goal.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation after the offer was made, but I did not need to because I had made clear that i knew what the salary range for the position was throughout the entire process. Thank you Glass Door. I was offered exactly what I was expecting and was even offered the next higher position and pay grade upon completion of my training.

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Target.

Had an interview with three store managers separately and had my last and fourth interview with the district manager and district human resources manager. I was extremely surprise that they would require such an extensive interview process for such a low level position within a store. All interviews as behavioral based questions so if you've never experienced this type of setting then you'll want to brush up. Brag as much as possible!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you were unable to complete a project.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation for an hourly position. I found out and accepted a week after my last interview was complete.

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Target.

Two interviews at two different dates. All questions were situation based and were not difficult.

Interview Questions
    • A hypothetical question on how to run the sales floor properly and how I would make it successful.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in April 2010.

Had a phone interview then was asked in for a face to face. Sat in a room with about 8 other candidates interviewing for a variety of positions. We were called back individually for 3 separate 1:1 interviews. The questions ranged from tell me about yourself to tell me a time when you had to lead a team. Tell me a time when you had a difficult team member and how you dealt with that.

Interview Questions
    • Questions focused on managing teams and persuading people to your opinion. They ask for concrete examples. "Tell me a time..."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salina, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salina, KS

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in October 2011.

2 interviews spread over two weeks, got an email saying they did not choose me for the position after 2nd interview.

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Target in November 2011.

I was contacted by HR to schedule a face to face interview. I came about 30 minutes early to complete an online assessment test. Afterwards I had three one-on-one interviews with two executive team leads and finally the store manager. I was called later on that same day with an offer and instructions to go into the office the following week to pick-up the drug testing paperwork.

Overall, everyone was very friendly. While sitting in the office, I was able to look around and saw many things which impressed me (volunteer opportunities, minutes from staff meetings with followups, and general postings which promoted team unity). It was an atmosphere where pretty much everyone there was happy to be there-something which isn't always the case in retail.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example where you implemented change.   Answer Question
    • Give an example where you had to work in a group.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of where you had to work with different departments.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of where you made a mistake.   View Answer
    • Give an example of where you trained someone. Give an example of when you showcased a "can do" attitude. Give an example of when you disagreed with someone.   Answer Question

They wanted me to have more retail experience and gave me an offer for a lower position. Unfortunately, I could not afford to take the financial hit (there was no guarantee of 40 hours per week). I needed something more stable and had to decline. If I had been younger and at a different place in my life, I'm sure Target would have been a great employer.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!