Target Sales Floor Team Leader Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 24, 2014
49 interviews

49 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Target.

I attended a carrer ffair at U of M and gave one of the recruiters my resume. I was contacted a few hours later by the HR manager and scheduled for an interview. The process consisted of four interviews with a Sales Floor Team Leader, Executive Team Leader, HR Manager, and finally the Store Team Leader. Two days later I was contacted by HR to come in for a final interview with the District Manager. All interviewers were very pleasant.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about your weakness related to the position you are interviewing for.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in April 2010.

Had a phone interview then was asked in for a face to face. Sat in a room with about 8 other candidates interviewing for a variety of positions. We were called back individually for 3 separate 1:1 interviews. The questions ranged from tell me about yourself to tell me a time when you had to lead a team. Tell me a time when you had a difficult team member and how you dealt with that.

Interview Questions
    • Questions focused on managing teams and persuading people to your opinion. They ask for concrete examples. "Tell me a time..."   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Salina, KS
    Anonymous Employee in Salina, KS

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in October 2011.

2 interviews spread over two weeks, got an email saying they did not choose me for the position after 2nd interview.

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Target in January 2010.

3 Interviews, 2 with assistant managers (ETL's) and 1 with the store manager (STL). They were all behavioral questions - "tell me about a time when you made a decision without permission," "tell me about a time when there was no stock of item in an area you didn't work in, what did you do" "tell me a time when you saw something unsightly, what did you do," "tell me a time you missed a deadline" etc...

It's intense, they expect you answer each question with a situation, reaction, and result. If you are too general, you will not get the job. The nice thing is if you don't have retail experience you can subsitute other experiences, for example, i mentioned missing a paper deadline once.

you have to take a drug test and they ran a credit check on me so probably will run one on you too.

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Target in November 2011.

I was contacted by HR to schedule a face to face interview. I came about 30 minutes early to complete an online assessment test. Afterwards I had three one-on-one interviews with two executive team leads and finally the store manager. I was called later on that same day with an offer and instructions to go into the office the following week to pick-up the drug testing paperwork.

Overall, everyone was very friendly. While sitting in the office, I was able to look around and saw many things which impressed me (volunteer opportunities, minutes from staff meetings with followups, and general postings which promoted team unity). It was an atmosphere where pretty much everyone there was happy to be there-something which isn't always the case in retail.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example where you implemented change.   Answer Question
    • Give an example where you had to work in a group.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of where you had to work with different departments.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of where you made a mistake.   View Answer
    • Give an example of where you trained someone. Give an example of when you showcased a "can do" attitude. Give an example of when you disagreed with someone.   Answer Question

They wanted me to have more retail experience and gave me an offer for a lower position. Unfortunately, I could not afford to take the financial hit (there was no guarantee of 40 hours per week). I needed something more stable and had to decline. If I had been younger and at a different place in my life, I'm sure Target would have been a great employer.

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview process is lengthy. Interviewed with ~ 7 different people. Interview is based on SAR questions. Situation, Action, Results. Ex. Tell me about a time that you had to do multiple things in a short period. The key here is to focus on the actions. Target wants to know that you know how to explore and use your resources, that you take partners and work with a sense of urgency. The other key is use a real specific example, not broad ambiguous examples. Use people, places and names.

Interview Questions
    • all very similar questions. Just be prepared with multiple different examples.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Harrisonburg, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisonburg, VA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Target.

Interview process is structural. You interview with the department (or Executive TL) manager first and then with Store TL (or Store Manager). I believe the new hiring process after 2012 also has you interview with the District Manager as well. Be prepared because they do grill you on facts of the company mission and sales for the department youre interviewing for.

Interview Questions
    • None. A lot of the questions are retail based and if you have enough experience in retail, most of it should be logical.   Answer Question
    They don't negotiate salary but give you an upfront hourly rate. But I had not much experience when I had interviewed. I'm sure its based on experience as well when they are willing to negotiate with you.

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Target.

Had an interview with three store managers separately and had my last and fourth interview with the district manager and district human resources manager. I was extremely surprise that they would require such an extensive interview process for such a low level position within a store. All interviews as behavioral based questions so if you've never experienced this type of setting then you'll want to brush up. Brag as much as possible!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you were unable to complete a project.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation for an hourly position. I found out and accepted a week after my last interview was complete.

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Target.

Two interviews at two different dates. All questions were situation based and were not difficult.

Interview Questions
    • A hypothetical question on how to run the sales floor properly and how I would make it successful.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in November 2010.

Fast, fun and friendly ;) I began working at Target as part time in the photo lab. Within the first month I was asked to attend a panel interview called " Meet the Talent". 2 weeks later I was offered a GSA position and took it right away, I was so excited that my hard work was paying off :) a GSA is a guest service associate, front lanes manager. By this time out store was under going remodel for the new "p-fresh" grocery section. About 3 weeks prior to our grand opening I was asked if I would consider taking on the "PA" role,ummm yes!! It is a perishables assistant, in other words I kinda run the area as well as order all the food 3 times a week! I was so excited!! I went through 3 interviews... 1 with the hard lines ETL, 1 with the Connsummables CTL and then 1 with my GSTL. I was given the position right away. I have been doing that now for about 5 months. I was recently offered a TL position for hard lines and am waiting for my final interview with the DTL, it will be a phone interview. I have already interviewed with my Hardlines ETL, HR & STL and am just waiting for the DTL to sign me off and I will be ready to start :) loves this company!!!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you encountered a difficult situation and how you handled it.   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time you challenged someone higher than you and what was the outcome.   View Answer
    Ask lots of questions, don't be afraid to ask anything you think is relevent. Remember at one time or another, everyone has been in your shoes! After all, it is your job ;)

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!