Target Sales Floor Team Leader Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harrisonburg, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Target (Harrisonburg, VA).

Interview

Interview process is structural. You interview with the department (or Executive TL) manager first and then with Store TL (or Store Manager). I believe the new hiring process after 2012 also has you interview with the District Manager as well. Be prepared because they do grill you on facts of the company mission and sales for the department youre interviewing for.

Interview Questions

• None. A lot of the questions are retail based and if you have enough experience in retail, most of it should be logical.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They don't negotiate salary but give you an upfront hourly rate. But I had not much experience when I had interviewed. I'm sure its based on experience as well when they are willing to negotiate with you.

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target in July 2014.

Interview

Went through three interviews and received a generic "thank you for applying, but" letter. After three interviews, I think that you should receive an actual phone call from the store manager that you interviewed with.

Interview Questions

• Generic, situation questions. Nothing to out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

the process was quite simple, it all happened within 2 hours

Negotiation

no negotiations at all

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

Interview

1st: apply online 2nd: they'll call if you meet qualifications 3rd: 1 st interview is with the Team Leader over the phone (Target just started doing this about two years ago, I think it was a horrible idea, it's very informal and not personal at all!) 4th: If team leader likes the phone conversation, they'll call you in for a second interview (in person) with their Executive Team Leader. 5th: If the ETL likes you, HR clerical will come out and give you a job offer (at this time you are offered pay rate) 6th: required drug test within 24hours (if not taken within the time frame, you will be disqualified from the position) 7th: once drug test passes, than you are called in for orientation. (about an 8 hours day/paid with the last 2-3 hours of shadow cashier training)

Interview Questions

• Their interview questions are all "Tell me about a time" They want to know specifics: what was the Situation, What you did about it, and what was the outcome (Bonus: tell them what you learned from this situation) is how most target employers like you to answer their questions. Most Difficult Question for a entry level candidate: Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a peer and what did you do to solve that disagreement (not an exact question, can't really remember any but questions are something similar). Another question that candidates seem to find difficult (which is actually simple) What are your good qualities and what do you need to improve on? (do not say you do not have anything to improcve; everyone does!)   1 Answer

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Three interviews. Two in store with Executive Team Leaders, one phone interview with District Team Leader. Each interview was basically two parts - First half was pretty straight forward questions, why do you want to work for Target, what experience do you have, etc. Second half was all situational/behavioral questions: * Name a time you worked with a team and what was the result? * What would you do if somebody asked for the location of a specific item? (always walk them to the item) * If somebody questioned the price of an item what would you do? (change the price if it is reasonable) * Tell me about a time you had a lot of tasks to complete at one time and how did you handle the situation? Some questions were slightly more difficult than the above, but I don't remember them all.

Interview Questions

• The questions are pretty straight forward, nothing too difficult. The key to answering these questions is to make sure you are prepared to answer situational/behavioral questions with specific examples and details to explain what the situation was, what steps you took, what the result was, etc. Don't be overly wordy on any answers; short, detailed answers are better.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very minimal negotiation, but was able to get a little more money than originally offered. However, I have heard stories of others who had much better success with negotiating wages during hire and store transfers. Seems to vary from store to store.

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Interview

It's a series of situation-based interviews, each with 3-5 questions. Typically, you interview with your own HR, your STL, and then the DTL.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Target (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

I actually reached out to the store's Human resources team when I was interested. A very quick phone screen took place, mostly clarifying schedule, past experience, and scheduling a date to interview. I had two interviews, which is unique because usually there are three with the last being an interview with the district team leader and/or business partner. The first was with the store executive team; HR executive, Hardlines Executive, Store Team Leader. The second interview was over the phone with an HR business partner and a few HRBP trainees. After the last interview, I met with the HR executive in the store for any follow up questions and an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time in which you disagreed with your supervisor. What was the situation, who was involved, and what was the outcome?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation was available; however, the pay was very competitive and was higher than my prior employer.

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Interview

Just be yourself and smile a lot

Interview Questions

• Explain a time that you were in a time crunch and made a mistake, what did you do, who helped you and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

You have about a 5,000$ window

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2013.

Interview

Selected by management to be "put through interview process". Had several days of preparation with leaders in my store. Prepped me by telling me some of the questions I would be asked. Did mock interviews. Interview was with district manager. Interview itself was formulaic and consisted of preselected questions based on situational experience. Many questions appeared to serve the sole purpose of giving the district manager "dirt" on leaders in my store by asking who the weakest leaders are. To pass the interview I was required to use Target "jargon/buzz words" to show commitment to company brand.

Interview Questions

• Who is the worst executive team leader in your store and why?   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Interview

You will find that the interview's focus is centered on the candidate's ability to be a leader. Target likes their leadership team to be pro-active, accountable, dependable, and upbeat. You will find that the position requires all of these aspects in order to be successful. You will likely go through three rounds of interviews, ending with the district manager. Be ready to talk about previous leadership experience as well as conflict resolution. Always answer your questions in such a way that they do the following: describe the situation, describe your behavior, and that it shows an end (positive) result. Be ready for many situational questions (tell me about a time when...) and be specific! Nothing comes off worse than saying, "Well I typically do this in such a generic situation...".

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you you were not able to complete a task.   Answer Question