Target Sales Floor Team Leader Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2015
Updated Feb 16, 2015

2.9

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

Interview

1st: apply online
2nd: they'll call if you meet qualifications
3rd: 1 st interview is with the Team Leader over the phone (Target just started doing this about two years ago, I think it was a horrible idea, it's very informal and not personal at all!)
4th: If team leader likes the phone conversation, they'll call you in for a second interview (in person) with their Executive Team Leader.
5th: If the ETL likes you, HR clerical will come out and give you a job offer (at this time you are offered pay rate)
6th: required drug test within 24hours (if not taken within the time frame, you will be disqualified from the position)
7th: once drug test passes, than you are called in for orientation. (about an 8 hours day/paid with the last 2-3 hours of shadow cashier training)

Interview Questions

• Their interview questions are all "Tell me about a time" They want to know specifics: what was the Situation, What you did about it, and what was the outcome (Bonus: tell them what you learned from this situation) is how most target employers like you to answer their questions.

Most Difficult Question for a entry level candidate: Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a peer and what did you do to solve that disagreement (not an exact question, can't really remember any but questions are something similar).

Another question that candidates seem to find difficult (which is actually simple) What are your good qualities and what do you need to improve on? (do not say you do not have anything to improcve; everyone does!)

1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Three interviews. Two in store with Executive Team Leaders, one phone interview with District Team Leader. Each interview was basically two parts - First half was pretty straight forward questions, why do you want to work for Target, what experience do you have, etc. Second half was all situational/behavioral questions:

* Name a time you worked with a team and what was the result?
    * What would you do if somebody asked for the location of a specific item? (always walk them to the item)
    * If somebody questioned the price of an item what would you do? (change the price if it is reasonable)
    * Tell me about a time you had a lot of tasks to complete at one time and how did you handle the situation?

Some questions were slightly more difficult than the above, but I don't remember them all.

Interview Questions

• The questions are pretty straight forward, nothing too difficult. The key to answering these questions is to make sure you are prepared to answer situational/behavioral questions with specific examples and details to explain what the situation was, what steps you took, what the result was, etc. Don't be overly wordy on any answers; short, detailed answers are better.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very minimal negotiation, but was able to get a little more money than originally offered. However, I have heard stories of others who had much better success with negotiating wages during hire and store transfers. Seems to vary from store to store.

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Interview

It's a series of situation-based interviews, each with 3-5 questions. Typically, you interview with your own HR, your STL, and then the DTL.

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Target (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

I actually reached out to the store's Human resources team when I was interested. A very quick phone screen took place, mostly clarifying schedule, past experience, and scheduling a date to interview. I had two interviews, which is unique because usually there are three with the last being an interview with the district team leader and/or business partner. The first was with the store executive team; HR executive, Hardlines Executive, Store Team Leader. The second interview was over the phone with an HR business partner and a few HRBP trainees. After the last interview, I met with the HR executive in the store for any follow up questions and an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time in which you disagreed with your supervisor. What was the situation, who was involved, and what was the outcome?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation was available; however, the pay was very competitive and was higher than my prior employer.

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Interview

Just be yourself and smile a lot

Interview Questions

• Explain a time that you were in a time crunch and made a mistake, what did you do, who helped you and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

You have about a 5,000$ window

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Interview

You will find that the interview's focus is centered on the candidate's ability to be a leader. Target likes their leadership team to be pro-active, accountable, dependable, and upbeat. You will find that the position requires all of these aspects in order to be successful. You will likely go through three rounds of interviews, ending with the district manager. Be ready to talk about previous leadership experience as well as conflict resolution. Always answer your questions in such a way that they do the following: describe the situation, describe your behavior, and that it shows an end (positive) result. Be ready for many situational questions (tell me about a time when...) and be specific! Nothing comes off worse than saying, "Well I typically do this in such a generic situation...".

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you you were not able to complete a task.   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

situational questions (tell me about a time that you worked in a group to accomplish a goal or task, what was your role, what was the outcome), relationship building questions (why would you like to work for Target, experience related to the position you are applying for, etc.)

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time you made a mistake and how you handked it?   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Target (Starkville, MS) in October 2013.

Interview

Target comes to my undergrad university every year looking for people to hire. The process usually goes: interest/information session, then they interview you in one day with different people on campus, and if you make it through that round you interview with the Executive Team leader. Overall, I enjoyed my interview process. The people were great and they made me feel comfortable and they were honest about their experience working with Target.

Interview Questions

• I think the most difficult question I had was a situational question. They asked "what would I do if..." and I had to go from there. It was just to see how I would respond to various situatios   Answer Question

I declined because I was only looking for an internship. The hours weren't really what I want in a career for the pay I would receive.

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Target.

Interview

5 interviews. A phone interview. If passed a second in person interview. If moved forward, three more interviews for the team leader position.

Interview Questions

• Situational interview. Be ready to answer questions based on your actual experience rather than how you think you would react to the given situation.   1 Answer

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target (Independence, MO) in June 2013.

Interview

One over the phone interview that is a Team Leader (Supervisor). In person interview with Executive Team Lead (Manager). One interview with Store Team Lead (General Manager). One interview with District Team Lead (District Manager). After you've accepted the position, you're hired as a part-time employee and put on "Team Lead Bench", where you are scheduled in every area to get an idea of how to do each job. The problem with that is that the "bench" process can last months, because you're waiting for a spot to open up, and that could be anywhere in the district. During this time, they pay you bottom dollar ($9 was NEGOTIATED-they offered me $8). The interview itself is very simple-be prepared to tell everyone your strengths and "opportunities", and be prepared for them to throw you off your train of thought (that's STL, DSTL level). Very simple questions-"Tell me about a time..." and you need to explain situation, what YOU did, and the outcome. Emphasize TEAMWORK in all answers.

Interview Questions

• "Why should I hire an outside employee for a position I could promote from within?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

After you've accepted the position, you're hired as a part-time employee and put on "Team Lead Bench", where you are scheduled in every area to get an idea of how to do each job. The problem with that is that the "bench" process can last months, because you're waiting for a spot to open up, and that could be anywhere in the district. During this time, they pay you bottom dollar ($9 was NEGOTIATED-they offered me $8). Once you turn down a position at a store, you're seen as a liability, so choose wisely, and expect to badger for more money, because their offer is usually very low, and once offered, they are very unhappy about changing it. My initial offer for the Team Lead spot was $10.50. I declined, and eventually took the position for $13.75 after I was offered 11.50, and then 12.50. Finally got the $13.75 offer.