Target

44 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in October 2009.

Interview Details – I began my interview process by getting referred by a friend. From there, I was able to meet his boss and he told me that he was unable to guarantee any kind of position due to the headcounts within the district. After talking to him for half an hour about my education, goals and aspirations, he was very interested in finding a position for me within the company. After that I was set up with several interviews before I finally had one with the district manager. My interview with the district manager went very well. I talked him as well about my short-term and long-term goals with the company such as becoming a district manager and he loved that. With these interviews most/if not all questions are behavioral based. When you answer each question, make sure to answer them by presenting the situation, the behavior you took towards the situation and then the final outcome. Lastly, just be very passionate about the position you're going for and you should be good to go. After the interview with the district manager I got a call a couple days afterwards from a store manager offering me a position.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you took on a tasks that was a stretch of your skill set. How did you manage the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I attempted to negotiate and leverage my college degree, because to be a sales floor team lead its not required. But it didn't matter, they were already set on the amount of money they wanted to provide to me.

Santa Ana, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Target in May 2011.

Interview Details – Called to set up interview date. Interviews conducted in-store in the upstairs offices. It seemed that others were to be interviewed at the same time so you may require a waiting period between the two interviews. Two 1:1 interviews - first, with the Team Leader over the position, then with HR. Questions from booklets involved your previous dealing with people that were angry towards you, working as part of a team, working under deadlines, etc. This is all I can recall at this time but they were all of that sort. Be prepared to discuss these types of incidents in you life and think through the process of resolving the incidents so you can elaborate on the process of your dealing with them from start to finish. I took it that the steps you took to resolve the incident and how it turned out were the important factors in the interview. Speaking well would be a plus. The interviewer may be looking at their booklet and making notes of your answers so do not be alarmed at this. It appeared that they needed to be thorough in their notes since others would be a part of the hiring process later. I just kept looking at the interviewer even though he/she was not looking at me on the off chance they would look up from their notetaking, which did not occur much other than between questions or at the beginning of the question. If you display an attitude of helpfulness and flexibility you will probably have your best chance. The people were friendly and relatively professional. Good Luck.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you worked as part of a team to complete a project. What did you do? How did it turn out?   Answer Question

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Target in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted about a week after I applied online and after being asked a few basic questions, was asked to come in for an interview. When I arrived, I was first told to complete an assessment on the computer. After I finished, I was interviewed by the Senior Team Leader - Logistics. The interview went very well and I was comfortable with all of the situational questions since I was very used to them considering my extensive background in retail. I was then passed off to the Executive Team Leader - HR. She had another 5-7 situational questions. This interview went even better and I could tell from the expressions of the interviewer that she was impressed. We had a short conversation about salary. She looked at a chart and told me with experience pay I could expect around $13.50 an hour, maybe a little more. She told me that she was definitely going to recommend me and immediately called the Store Team Leader to schedule an interview with him about a 5 days later.

When I arrived, the Store Team Leader and an Executive in Training asked 5-7 more situational questions in a panel format. We had another discussion about salary expectations. I told him that I had done a lot of research online (thank you GlassDoor) and found that the range for this position was between $13-$16. I was fine with that. When finished, I was told that I would be contacted with their decision in 3-5 days. 3 hours later I was called by the ETL-HR and told that I had passed and would need to complete an interview with the District Team Leader. I was asked to e-mail a copy of my resume to his store and scheduled to meet with him about a week later.

When I arrived I was asked to wait in the Starbucks area. He found me a few minutes later. He already had my resume and we found an office in the back. He asked another 4-5 questions off of a tablet-style laptop and jotted down notes on the screen. He asked me again what I was looking for money wise, and I told him the same thing I had told the store team leader. This interview felt very short and I was pretty discouraged afterward. I was told that I would hear a final decision in 5 "business days". Again discouraging.

However, the following Monday about 3 days later, I was called back by the ETL-HR and given an offer. I arrived at the store and was told I would need to complete a drug screen and background check. The salary offer was $15.50. She also told me that the District Team Leader was impressed with me and wanted to consider me for promotion to Senior Team Leader after my training period. This would be another $2 per hour. There is also a $1 per hour shift differential for days you come in for the early shift.

Overall I was very impressed with the interview and hiring process. At no time did I feel lost or unsure of the next step. Everyone was very professional and I never felt lowballed during the salary conversations. I had done my research, and it appears they respected that. Target likes to hear that you are continuing your education and I was asked about this several times. The salaried managers seem very upbeat and excited to be there, but most of the people I saw on the floor looked kind of down and not interested. This may be why the ETL-HR made a comment during my interview with her that no one in the store was really qualified for the job and why she liked me so much. A little enthusiasm goes a long way.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you made a mistake when completing a task or process. What went wrong, what did you do to fix the situation, and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to correct a customer service problem. How did you ensure that the customer was taken care of?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you had to handle a low performing subordinate. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you motivated your team to exceed a goal.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation after the offer was made, but I did not need to because I had made clear that i knew what the salary range for the position was throughout the entire process. Thank you Glass Door. I was offered exactly what I was expecting and was even offered the next higher position and pay grade upon completion of my training.

Team Leader Sales Floor Interview

Team Leader Sales Floor
Wichita, KS

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in May 2010.

Interview Details – Best Interviewing process I've ever been to. Everyone was nice and friendly. I interviewed with a Team Lead one on one...5 behavioral questions. They were pretty hard. Then waited an hour and interviewed with the Store Team Leader...again 5 behavioral questions, again harder and some of the same from the 1st interview. 2 Weeks later I interviewed with the District Team leader. He only asked 2 behavioral questions and then just asked about myself and why I wanted to work at Target. To practice the questions I copied all the questoins on this site and studied them....they were all used.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you made a mistake and what you did to correct it and what did you learn?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you used outside sources to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate because they offered $14/hr, and I was only expecting $13, so I said "okay great!" I don't think there would have been much room for negotiation...know what you should get for the position so you know if its fair or not.

Sales Floor Team Leader

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Had an interview with three store managers separately and had my last and fourth interview with the district manager and district human resources manager. I was extremely surprise that they would require such an extensive interview process for such a low level position within a store. All interviews as behavioral based questions so if you've never experienced this type of setting then you'll want to brush up. Brag as much as possible!

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you were unable to complete a project.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation for an hourly position. I found out and accepted a week after my last interview was complete.

Sales Floor Team Leader

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Two interviews at two different dates. All questions were situation based and were not difficult.

Interview Question – A hypothetical question on how to run the sales floor properly and how I would make it successful.   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Leader

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Target in April 2012.

Interview Details – It was really standard questions. Really situational what would you do or tell about a time kind of questions. There were 2 one on one interviews back to back. One with a Team Leader and one with the head of HR. Both asked pretty much the same questions. Advice: Really have situations related to customer experience prepared mentally to be able to respond quickly and adapt the situation to their questions.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to assist a guest with a situation that you could do nothing about? How did you explain the circumstances to the guest?   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Leader

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Target in January 2012.

Interview Details – The interview began with a walk through within the Target store. Be sure to notice any minor details because they will ask you what you would like to change or improve on in this particular Target later.

After the walk through, we proceeded into (2) 1:1 and (1) 2:1 interviews. It was a bit exhausting because majority of the questions asked for examples/stories on how you handled situations. All the answers should include: situation, action, result.

Be sure to stress their culture: Fun, Fast, and Friendly.

Smile a lot and show that you are able to work effectively with everyone. Although the interviewer gave me props for mingling with other co-workers while waiting in between interviews, she said that I came off as too intense from the beginning. She explained that being a team leader, it is important that your team is comfortable approaching you with any suggestions or concerns. Therefore, show off your ability to get along with everyone.

In conclusion, be a strong leader who takes accountability and effectively communicates with all team members. Be friendly and smile plenty to everyone as soon as you step into the store.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to outweigh a situation with positive and negatives, and how you came to conclusion.   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Leader

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Target in September 2010.

Interview Details – Initially there is a computer job application to fill out. Have all your info with you. If your availability matches what they are looking for you are called for an interview.
This interview in usually done by a team lead. The personal interview asks questions related to responsibility and performance. If you were in this situation....What would you do? The questions are the same for everyone. They are read off a sheet and the interviewer will write down what you say.
 If you can think fast and they like you, they will proceed to the second interview which will be done by management and you will be presented with a job offer before yo leave with a contingency to passing a drug/background check within 24 hours.
People were nice all the way around. I did have to wait a bit to get trough the whole interview process. I think it took about 2 hours.

Interview Question – If you had to leave and your job task was not complete...What would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Target has a pay scale for each job and there is not much negotiation. However there is a little room to negotiate. It is not like the ETL level.
 Annual reviews are intense and based on performance. It was very easy to max out at my level. Raises for OUTSTANDING performance were about .65 with merit increase. Now it is about half that since I'm maxed out. Some regular team members have not seen a raise in 7 years?

Sales Floor Team Leader

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Target in December 2010.

Interview Details – Internal interview, as I had already been a part of the company, so this was for a lateral move within the Corporation. Meet with three different executives, typically the HR ETL, the STL, and the ETL who will be the direct supervisor. Taken through a set of three different questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to take responsibility for something that was not your fault.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotion, this was a lateral move so my payrate was not changing, just my job.