Target Sales Floor Team Leader Interview Questions

2.9

50 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Target in April 2010.

This interview was for an internal promotion. This was still the same interview process as an external hire. They use very standard interview questions, three basic questions then three situational questions. I had three rounds of interviews for the position. two in the store and another one at the district office. Background and drug test required.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you had to go out of your way to help someone else?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Shakopee, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shakopee, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Target in November 2011.

I met with an Executive Team Leader and then the Store Team Leader. They asked questions in the STAR format and wanted 10% situation, 80% Action, and 10% Result. Have stories ready so you sound like you know what you're talking about. They usually interview at least 10 people for every Team leader position, so make sure you shine.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you didn't meet expectations on the job or on a project.   View Answer
    They offered me the job on the spot but told me that they had to speak with their supervisors to find out what wage they could give me. Because of my Bachelor's degree and 2 years of General Manager experience, they wanted to give me more than the standard $14 an hour. When they got back to me, they offered me $15 an hour and I took it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  El Dorado Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Dorado Hills, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in October 2011.

One interview on campus. Two follow-up interviews after that.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to work under pressure?   View Answer
    Yes. Only do so if you plan on long-term career with company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kailua Kona, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kailua Kona, HI

The process took a day - interviewed at Target in October 2011.

Was scheduled for an interview in the employee commons area of the store. It was done in three parts with three different managers of varying sections of the staff. The process is normally scheduled for a two day interview process but they were able to squeeze me in within the first day. They were thorough and asked very similar questions until the last manager. This person changed it up a little and asked about disciplining and reviewing staff and possible termination procedures I would follow. This is where I lost my chance I believe due to my inexperience in the termination of employees. I'm sure it happens more often than I expect but I never had to terminate an employee in my management experience.
    They gave the job I found out to the other gentleman that was interviewing that same day.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle terminating an employee for consistent late arrivals?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salina, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salina, KS

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in October 2011.

2 interviews spread over two weeks, got an email saying they did not choose me for the position after 2nd interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in August 2011.

I had applied to Target months earlier for an Executive Team Leader position, after the company botched the second interview by having me sit down with the wrong person I pulled my interest for this job listing and life moved on. Fast forward 4 months....I get an email from an executive team leader from HR asking if I was interested in a Team Leader job at her target location (someone from corporate HR recommended me for the spot). I was interested and was scheduled for an interview, the first round consisted of 3 interviews back to back that lasted about 4 HOURS! They asked the same questions again and again for each of the interviews, so the hardest part was responding to the questions without belching out the same answers like a scripted actor.

I was called back in about a week later to interview with the district team leader and was offered a job on the spot. Since no other full time jobs had come my way I gladly accepted the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had to overcome odds to complete a project on time?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiating of wages.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in October 2009.

I began my interview process by getting referred by a friend. From there, I was able to meet his boss and he told me that he was unable to guarantee any kind of position due to the headcounts within the district. After talking to him for half an hour about my education, goals and aspirations, he was very interested in finding a position for me within the company. After that I was set up with several interviews before I finally had one with the district manager. My interview with the district manager went very well. I talked him as well about my short-term and long-term goals with the company such as becoming a district manager and he loved that. With these interviews most/if not all questions are behavioral based. When you answer each question, make sure to answer them by presenting the situation, the behavior you took towards the situation and then the final outcome. Lastly, just be very passionate about the position you're going for and you should be good to go. After the interview with the district manager I got a call a couple days afterwards from a store manager offering me a position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you took on a tasks that was a stretch of your skill set. How did you manage the situation?   Answer Question
    I attempted to negotiate and leverage my college degree, because to be a sales floor team lead its not required. But it didn't matter, they were already set on the amount of money they wanted to provide to me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Target in May 2011.

Called to set up interview date. Interviews conducted in-store in the upstairs offices. It seemed that others were to be interviewed at the same time so you may require a waiting period between the two interviews. Two 1:1 interviews - first, with the Team Leader over the position, then with HR. Questions from booklets involved your previous dealing with people that were angry towards you, working as part of a team, working under deadlines, etc. This is all I can recall at this time but they were all of that sort. Be prepared to discuss these types of incidents in you life and think through the process of resolving the incidents so you can elaborate on the process of your dealing with them from start to finish. I took it that the steps you took to resolve the incident and how it turned out were the important factors in the interview. Speaking well would be a plus. The interviewer may be looking at their booklet and making notes of your answers so do not be alarmed at this. It appeared that they needed to be thorough in their notes since others would be a part of the hiring process later. I just kept looking at the interviewer even though he/she was not looking at me on the off chance they would look up from their notetaking, which did not occur much other than between questions or at the beginning of the question. If you display an attitude of helpfulness and flexibility you will probably have your best chance. The people were friendly and relatively professional. Good Luck.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you worked as part of a team to complete a project. What did you do? How did it turn out?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Target in May 2010.

I was contacted about a week after I applied online and after being asked a few basic questions, was asked to come in for an interview. When I arrived, I was first told to complete an assessment on the computer. After I finished, I was interviewed by the Senior Team Leader - Logistics. The interview went very well and I was comfortable with all of the situational questions since I was very used to them considering my extensive background in retail. I was then passed off to the Executive Team Leader - HR. She had another 5-7 situational questions. This interview went even better and I could tell from the expressions of the interviewer that she was impressed. We had a short conversation about salary. She looked at a chart and told me with experience pay I could expect around $13.50 an hour, maybe a little more. She told me that she was definitely going to recommend me and immediately called the Store Team Leader to schedule an interview with him about a 5 days later.

When I arrived, the Store Team Leader and an Executive in Training asked 5-7 more situational questions in a panel format. We had another discussion about salary expectations. I told him that I had done a lot of research online (thank you GlassDoor) and found that the range for this position was between $13-$16. I was fine with that. When finished, I was told that I would be contacted with their decision in 3-5 days. 3 hours later I was called by the ETL-HR and told that I had passed and would need to complete an interview with the District Team Leader. I was asked to e-mail a copy of my resume to his store and scheduled to meet with him about a week later.

When I arrived I was asked to wait in the Starbucks area. He found me a few minutes later. He already had my resume and we found an office in the back. He asked another 4-5 questions off of a tablet-style laptop and jotted down notes on the screen. He asked me again what I was looking for money wise, and I told him the same thing I had told the store team leader. This interview felt very short and I was pretty discouraged afterward. I was told that I would hear a final decision in 5 "business days". Again discouraging.

However, the following Monday about 3 days later, I was called back by the ETL-HR and given an offer. I arrived at the store and was told I would need to complete a drug screen and background check. The salary offer was $15.50. She also told me that the District Team Leader was impressed with me and wanted to consider me for promotion to Senior Team Leader after my training period. This would be another $2 per hour. There is also a $1 per hour shift differential for days you come in for the early shift.

Overall I was very impressed with the interview and hiring process. At no time did I feel lost or unsure of the next step. Everyone was very professional and I never felt lowballed during the salary conversations. I had done my research, and it appears they respected that. Target likes to hear that you are continuing your education and I was asked about this several times. The salaried managers seem very upbeat and excited to be there, but most of the people I saw on the floor looked kind of down and not interested. This may be why the ETL-HR made a comment during my interview with her that no one in the store was really qualified for the job and why she liked me so much. A little enthusiasm goes a long way.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a mistake when completing a task or process. What went wrong, what did you do to fix the situation, and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to correct a customer service problem. How did you ensure that the customer was taken care of?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to handle a low performing subordinate. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you motivated your team to exceed a goal.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation after the offer was made, but I did not need to because I had made clear that i knew what the salary range for the position was throughout the entire process. Thank you Glass Door. I was offered exactly what I was expecting and was even offered the next higher position and pay grade upon completion of my training.

Team Leader Sales Floor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wichita, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in May 2010.

Best Interviewing process I've ever been to. Everyone was nice and friendly. I interviewed with a Team Lead one on one...5 behavioral questions. They were pretty hard. Then waited an hour and interviewed with the Store Team Leader...again 5 behavioral questions, again harder and some of the same from the 1st interview. 2 Weeks later I interviewed with the District Team leader. He only asked 2 behavioral questions and then just asked about myself and why I wanted to work at Target. To practice the questions I copied all the questoins on this site and studied them....they were all used.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you made a mistake and what you did to correct it and what did you learn?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you used outside sources to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because they offered $14/hr, and I was only expecting $13, so I said "okay great!" I don't think there would have been much room for negotiation...know what you should get for the position so you know if its fair or not.