Target

Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.2

467 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

First off, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted their interview experiences here, I definitely credit reading all of these to helping me get the job! If you're here because you're about to have an interview, if you read up here I think you'll do just fine (:

Allow me to also mention that the position I applied for was seasonal, but it doesn't seem like the interviewing process is any different at all.

When I applied for Target online, I was also applying for many other places, so I can't be sure how long it took for them to call me, but it was at least a week. They called me on a Monday, but I missed it and I called them back on a Tuesday. We set up a phone interview for 11am on Wednesday. On Wednesday, however, they didn't call me at the time they said (on the phone they did say this was a possibility, but to call the store after 15 minutes). I decided to give them an extra 30, and was about to call them around 11:30 when they called me. The phone interview was not with who I was told it was going to be, which of course is fine but gave me a bit of a look at how hectic of a workplace it may be.

The phone interview was 7 questions, asking things such as strengths and weaknesses, what my previous boss/coworkers thought of my work, a time where I went above and beyond at work, a time I worked as a team, a time where I worked in a time crunch, and questions about my availability. After I finished all the questions, the interviewer (who I found out is the Team Leader, so it may be the same in your case) told me she would recommend me for a second interview, and told me I'd be getting a call within the next week to schedule an in-person interview with an executive (sounds a bit intimidating, but it wasn't!). I got a call on Friday to schedule my second interview the following Monday.

When I got to the store, I was told to take a questionnaire on the in-store kiosks, which was about 20 questions long and very similar to the online application. I don't really remember any of them, but they were multiple choice, composed of scenario based questions and you had to chose the best response and the worst response for that situation. It was really easy. After the questionnaire I was told to go upstairs and let HR know I was there. I ended up waiting for about 30 minutes, because the managers ended up taking a late lunch, but after reading these reviews I expected to wait a while.

The interview was fairly easy, with pretty much the same questions as the phone interview, just reworded. They also asked me the same "What would you do if" questions they asked everyone else, about the out of stock shoe size and the customer who claimed the item was $17 when it rings up for $19 (A lot of people on glassdoor have said to just trust the customer, and my answer was something along the lines of 'trust the customer if it's not a big deal, if it is a great amount then ask another employee to check the price in a way that doesn't sound like i don't trust the customer' but all in all, i couldn't really tell what answer they were looking for). She asked if I was interested in hardlines or softlines, so have an idea of what area you'd like to work in before your interview (at the store I was applying to, hardlines is simply the tiled parts of the floor and softlines is the carpeted part of the floor. Softlines was clothes, hardlines was everything else). If you truly aren't sure at the time, I was told that you are able to transfer after you've decided, but it's possible that that's only at that particular Target. I was told I did well in the interview, and that when I went back in the break room, I would be job offered on the spot.

During my job offering, I was told it'd be $8.50 an hour, and I would not be drug tested (though this seemed a bit unusual, so expect a drug test). I was told I'd have an orientation within a few weeks.

Overall I had a very good experience, even though I was very nervous!

Interview Questions
  • If you read the questions they asked other people in the reviews on glassdoor, you'll be fine (:   Answer Question
No negotiation, but I wasn't planning to either way.

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Target.

It was very standardized. They called me and asked me why I wanted to work for Target, and then gave me a date for an interview. I went wore a red shirt and nice dress pants and I had an interview with a team leader. It was very straightforward asked typical "tell me a time when.." questions. Just be really friendly and make sure your examples have a beginning middle and end (that's part of what they rate it upon), and by that I mean give some background, and then tell what you did, and then the conclusion of that.

So, at the end of that interview he said that he really liked me and would refer me for a second interview, before that I had to go to a hiring kiosk and take a 20 question survey about what I thought was the worst and best possible ways to handle situations. Always pick the ones were it says you would go to your supervisor and the worst ones would be anything with confronting someone.

After that a manager comes and takes you for your second interview, basically asks the same questions, I would suggest trying to give different examples, though I didn't. They also asked two important questions, first, what would you do if we didn't have a shoe a guest was looking for. The answer is to say that you would apologize and check to see if we had any in the back, or at another store for them. Really focus on trying to make the customer happy. The second question was if an item rang up as 19.99 and the guest said it was 17.99, what would you do. This is very important!! You would apologize and then trust the guest and give it to them for 17.99! This is the absolute correct answer. Target believes its better to lose that 2 dollar difference rather than the whole sale.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

I applied online and received a phone call that very same day to schedule an interview. Before the interview, I was told to finish part 2 of the application process at a target kiosk (computer) which consisted of 20 situational questions. As I finished, I was then told to wait in break room. I was interviewed by three interviewees: team member, team leader, and executive team leader. All three interviewees were really down to earth. I was told that I would be a good candidate for the position and that I would be working hardlines which is stocking shelves, answering guest questions and helping out cashier if need be. During my job offering, I was told that I would be making $9.50/hr and no drug test would be required.

In conclusion, I had a very good experience, although I was really nervous.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • What are your strengths?   Answer Question
    • If a customer can't find a shoe size of a particular brand, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • Fairly easy interview questions to answer. I would advise all those who have an interview scheduled to read other glassdoor resposnes and that should help you prepare! I know it helped me (:   Answer Question
    $9.50/hr

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target.

Took about 5 days for them to contact after I submitted online application. Interviewers were friendly. Be prepared before interview, go through comments on here and it's basically the same questions. This helped me so we weren't staring at each other while I thought of a response.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Target.

I got a call on Wednesday morning for a phone interview and it went well. After she offered me a second interview but said she'd call back to set up a time. She never did. So I kept calling for 3-4 days straight but they said they were busy. Finally a week later I got the call for a second interview and I had to take an assessment test at a kiosk which was quick and easy. Then I sat in the break room and I made friends with the people waiting and chatted. Finally get put them me to watch a video on employment and finally I got interviewed. She was intense and I was nervous but I answered smoothly and elaborated heavily. Then she took me to take another seat and 10 min later I was offered a job. Totally worth the wait and nerves. It all lasted about 2hrs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chino Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chino Hills, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Target in November 2014.

Applied online, got a call about a month later. Went in for interview and had three before i was told i got the job. Usually im a very nervous person when it comes to interviews but the managers are so outgoing and happy that they make the overall experience easier!

Interview Questions
    • Why Target ?
      What would you do if a customer was looking for a shoe size and we didnt have it in stock?
      What do you do if you ring up a item and it rings up as 19.99 but the customer tells you it was displayed for 16.99?
        View Answer
    No negotiation as far as pay they gave me what i asked for, position wise i applied as a cashier but was offered a poition as a sales floor team member.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target in November 2014.

I applied online and a couple weeks later got a phone call asking if I was still interested and then set up a date/time to come in for an interview. I did not have a phone interview. I went in and took a little situational test on the computer then was taken back to wait for someone to interview me. The guy then took me into a room and asked me my availability, how many hours a week I'm willing to work and then just asked general questions like why I want to work there, ect. then three situational questions. I went back and waited for a second interview, went in with the woman and it was the same thing. When I was done with her I waited for someone else to come talk to me about pay rate and orientation which I would be called for because they wanted to do a larger group instead of a few people. I ended up calling two days after my interview to see if there was a date for orientation yet and there was so I went in the next day for it. Did some paperwork with 10 other people, watched videos and then had a tour of the store and got my training schedule. I start tomorrow!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, doing research on what question they might ask helped so much.   View Answer
    No negotiation, I was happy with the pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in November 2014.

I applied online for a seasonal/temporary Sales Floor Team member position. About three days after finishing my online application, I received a call to confirm I was still interested in the job. They verified what holidays/days I would be available, confirmed the position I applied for, asked me why I applied to Target and then scheduled my phone interview (which was for the next day).

My phone interview was scheduled for 11:00 AM, but they didn't call until about noon (I was going to call the store to see if they had forgotten but decided to wait it out a few more minutes and that's when they called). My interviewer apologized for the tardiness of the call and the interview promptly started.

My initial questions appear to be the same as everyone else's, but I'll write them down as best I can remember.

As a guideline, my interviewer told me that she would be asking me several situational questions and would be writing down all of my responses. She asked me if I had any previous experience working in the industry (which I did) then proceeded onto the situational questions. I was asked about a time I exemplified great team behavior/teamwork, what previous employers or teachers would say were my strengths and weaknesses and then asked about a time I exemplified great customer service or when a customer admitted they had received above and beyond customer service.

After answering those questions, I was told they would be in contact with me within 1-2 days but I received a call that same day, maybe 7 hours after my interview. I was told to go in-store and complete their additional assessment on their kiosks, call their WOTC number (which were questions for tax breaks for Target) to get a confirmation number (which you'll need for HR) and then scheduled an interview for the following day.

I went in, had to wait maybe ten minutes before someone took me to watch their five minute video on the position I was applying for, then was told to go back to the waiting area for my actual interview. He came in a few minutes later and started the interview off by going over my initial application -- verifying all my information was correct and that I was still available for the hours and days I had chosen (which I was and I think my wide open schedule was what got me that far into the process, but who knows).

He told me a bit about his job and what his experience with the store was like and then we started the next round of questions.

He asked me 'Why do you want to work at Target?' (This one is pretty much up to you on how you answer, but I would probably mention something about their customer service or how customer focused they are since it's such an important part of their image.)

'Tell me one thing that you learned or liked from the video you just watched' (I mentioned I liked how they refer to customers as guests, it shows they take people's patronage seriously. Also that they don't consider the people who work for them as strictly employees but as team members. But again, what you answer is totally up to you.)

'If we were to ask a former employer or teacher, what would they say your weaknesses are or areas of improvement? Give me one or two examples of each one.'
    'Tell me about one time you made a mistake, how you corrected it and what you learned from it.'
    'You're working in shoes, a woman comes up to you and tells you that she can't find the shoe size she's looking for, how would you handle the situation?' (I said to check in the back for the shoe size she was looking for and if we didn't have it, that I would check to see if we could order it for her or suggest she try ordering it online)

'You are working as a cashier, an item rings up for 19 dollars, but the customer says the price was listed as 12, what do you do?' (I've read the other answers to this question and from what I've witnessed in store, firsthand, they usually do a price check with someone who works in that area. So I said I would apologize for the confusion and call in a price check. My interview then said that the initial ring up price was in fact correct and that it was $19, what would you do? I adjusted my answer accordingly. So I guess each answer differs based on where your Target is located.)

After that, my interview was over and I was brought back to the waiting room to wait for HR to wrap things up. I was offered a job right on the spot with pay a little over minimum wage.
    No drug test was required, which I found a bit odd but figured it was because they didn't want to wait any longer since the holiday rush was coming up.

We shook hands and the HR rep told me that she would be in contact with me by the end of the week to schedule my orientation assuming everything checked out with my background check.

All-in-all, the whole process was pretty easy, especially if you've read through the questions everyone else has posted.

Interview Questions
    • What was something you thought was interesting or learned from the video you watched?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, the pay rate was standard with no wiggle room.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online and 2 days later (Monday) I got a call to set up an interview for the following Friday. Interview process took up 2 and a half hours. 1st I had to answer a few things on their kiosk, then 2 separate interviews with different managers. Many questions were similar. After the 2nd interview, I had to wait for another manager in HR to make the job offer. Once I accepted, I was told that they just needed to wait till my background check cleared and then I'd get a call about orientation. No drug test since this is a seasonal position (with potential to move onto permanent).

Interview Questions
    • When was the last time you worked in a team, what was your role and what was the outcome.   View Answer
    Simple, were just standing, he wrote down the pay and whether I asked if I accepted. I signed on the paper, told to wait for my background check to clear and I'll get a call about orientation soon after.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Pretty long but easy, standard questions targeting your abilities to work as a team player, you take computerized test first, them meet with at least two future supervisors and being asked pretty much same questions. Your answers are written down and stored in your employee case. Questions are like: If you notice your co-worker doing something unappropriated what would be is your next move? Why do you want to work here? and so on