Target

Updated Jan 19, 2015

2.2

492 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

First off, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted their interview experiences here, I definitely credit reading all of these to helping me get the job! If you're here because you're about to have an interview, if you read up here I think you'll do just fine (:

Allow me to also mention that the position I applied for was seasonal, but it doesn't seem like the interviewing process is any different at all.

When I applied for Target online, I was also applying for many other places, so I can't be sure how long it took for them to call me, but it was at least a week. They called me on a Monday, but I missed it and I called them back on a Tuesday. We set up a phone interview for 11am on Wednesday. On Wednesday, however, they didn't call me at the time they said (on the phone they did say this was a possibility, but to call the store after 15 minutes). I decided to give them an extra 30, and was about to call them around 11:30 when they called me. The phone interview was not with who I was told it was going to be, which of course is fine but gave me a bit of a look at how hectic of a workplace it may be.

The phone interview was 7 questions, asking things such as strengths and weaknesses, what my previous boss/coworkers thought of my work, a time where I went above and beyond at work, a time I worked as a team, a time where I worked in a time crunch, and questions about my availability. After I finished all the questions, the interviewer (who I found out is the Team Leader, so it may be the same in your case) told me she would recommend me for a second interview, and told me I'd be getting a call within the next week to schedule an in-person interview with an executive (sounds a bit intimidating, but it wasn't!). I got a call on Friday to schedule my second interview the following Monday.

When I got to the store, I was told to take a questionnaire on the in-store kiosks, which was about 20 questions long and very similar to the online application. I don't really remember any of them, but they were multiple choice, composed of scenario based questions and you had to chose the best response and the worst response for that situation. It was really easy. After the questionnaire I was told to go upstairs and let HR know I was there. I ended up waiting for about 30 minutes, because the managers ended up taking a late lunch, but after reading these reviews I expected to wait a while.

The interview was fairly easy, with pretty much the same questions as the phone interview, just reworded. They also asked me the same "What would you do if" questions they asked everyone else, about the out of stock shoe size and the customer who claimed the item was $17 when it rings up for $19 (A lot of people on glassdoor have said to just trust the customer, and my answer was something along the lines of 'trust the customer if it's not a big deal, if it is a great amount then ask another employee to check the price in a way that doesn't sound like i don't trust the customer' but all in all, i couldn't really tell what answer they were looking for). She asked if I was interested in hardlines or softlines, so have an idea of what area you'd like to work in before your interview (at the store I was applying to, hardlines is simply the tiled parts of the floor and softlines is the carpeted part of the floor. Softlines was clothes, hardlines was everything else). If you truly aren't sure at the time, I was told that you are able to transfer after you've decided, but it's possible that that's only at that particular Target. I was told I did well in the interview, and that when I went back in the break room, I would be job offered on the spot.

During my job offering, I was told it'd be $8.50 an hour, and I would not be drug tested (though this seemed a bit unusual, so expect a drug test). I was told I'd have an orientation within a few weeks.

Overall I had a very good experience, even though I was very nervous!

Interview Questions
  • If you read the questions they asked other people in the reviews on glassdoor, you'll be fine (:   Answer Question
No negotiation, but I wasn't planning to either way.

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Target.

the interview process was fairly simple. I had no retail experience what so ever, I go in not knowing I'm speaking to the senior manager and I just had a smile on my face and a positive excited outlook and was personable and then after the short interview process I speak with the main supervisor for my department and more or less just talked more than an interview and I started a few days later

Interview Questions
    • none that stood out of the crowd of normal questions. The hardest part was just to connect with the interviewer.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

I applied online for the Sales Floor position and got a call back that same day. The hiring manager called me and explained the hours and salary that I will be offered when I get the job. She also said that I will be having a phone interview a few days later.
    The first thing that the interviewer asked me was my availability then he went on to ask me questions like: If we were to ask one of your teachers about what they think of you, what would they say and what would they say is your weakness? Name a time when you had to work as a group. What would you do if you had multiple things to do in a short amount of time? Name a time when you provided service that exceeded the expectations. What would you do if a customer says that an item is $17 when it rung up as $20?
    After the phone interview, they arranged a second interview in person 3 days after. I went to Target 15 minutes early and told one of the employees that I was there for an interview. The hiring manager took me to a room to watch a video about the position that I was getting, then I was taken to one of the computers to answer scenario questions. They were exactly the same from the ones I took during the application process.
    The second interview wasn't that bad. I learned a lot from my first interview because it was basically the same questions but they wanted more in depth answers. They also told me what the right answers were to the scenario questions. After that I was offered the job on the spot, but I had to take a drug test within 24 hours after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • 1. What would you do if an item rung up for $20 but the guest said it was $17
      2. What if a guest came up to you asking where she can find a certain pair of shoes, but you know nothing about that department?

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

I had two interviews. One phone interview and one in person interview. My advice if you were planning on applying for target is to think of 5 situations you have been in (Work related) were you had to work as a team. Explain the situation and then what you did then the outcome of it. It helped me through my team member interview and my GSA interview. Almost all the interview questions are situations you have been in.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you made a mistake and how did you fix it?
      Tell me a time where you had to work together as a team?
      Why do you want to work at target?

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Applied to target online got a phone call maybe a week later to schedule a phone interview a few days after. Phone interview was short, simple, and pretty stupid. Took literally maybe 5 minutes to ask pretty generic questions that are impossible to get wrong. Got told I passed after that interview and was scheduled an in person interview with an ETL a few days later. The in person interview was exactly the same as the phone interview. Got hired on the spot. Went to HR to fill out paperwork, get my orientation date, and was told to submit a drug test withing 24 hours or I will be terminated. I did so that same day and my orientation was a month and some later.

Interview Questions
    • What can you offer Target?
      How would you respond to an upset customer?
      If a customer wants a price change and it is reasonable do you say no or give it to them? (this is a big one target is strict about adjusting prices if a guest challenges you as long as in reasonable price range like $15 instead of $20)
      Are you able to work at a fast-pace?
      Etc.

View Answer
    I got less than what minimum wage was and could not negotiate it. Really ridiculous but I needed the job and at that time though Target was the best thing to ever happen to me so I took it.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target in January 2015.

I was called for a basic summary of the job, where i was told it was for a cashier position. The person who called listed the qualifications i would need and basic overview of job duties, and hourly pay. I said that it all sounded good, and he said someone would be in contact within 3 days.

I was called for a phone interview while i was out, and the lady talked really quiet so it was extremely hard to hear her but i answered the questions to the best of my ability and was then scheduled for an in-person interview at the store the following day. she also told me it was for a cashier position.

i went in and had to complete a best/worst scenario questionnaire and then was taken to watch a video. the guy asked what the position was for and i said front end/cahsier.. so he chose that for the video section.

To my surprise, when the interviewer came and got me and took me to her office, she told me it was for the sales floor. I explained to her that both the previous people i had talked to told me it was for a cashier position. So i kind of bombed the questions about why i wanted to work on the sales floor & what i learned from the video, since i watched the one for front end; not sales floor. plus, im a horrible interviewer and panic everytime. She then told me that she needed to meet with her team members and would be ahold of me in 3-5 days; its been 3 days and i haven't heard anything, so i'm assuming i didn't get the position.

I did apologize for the confusion, and tried my best to explain that i was prepared for the cashier position, and had no idea it was for the sales floor. seems to me it was just as disorganized as i was.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you completed a task, and then realized that you had made a mistake; how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target in January 2015.

I applied between 8 days ago and got a phone call from target about two days after applying. I set up an interview. Today I had my interview. When I got to target I went to the costumer service desk and the lady told me to take a questionnaire at the computer and got me set up. It was about 20 questions where you're given situations with about 5 options. The questions come in sets of two with 1 situation. They give you a situation and the first question is which of the five options is the best idea and the 2nd in the pair is which of the 5 options is the least effective. This took me about 5 minutes and then I was told to wait. After about 15 minutes a lady came and got me. I went to the back to sit in a conference style room and she put on a maybe 8 minute video showing different sales associates and their stories of joining the team. The video focuses on being a team, and striving to give the costumer the best possible experience. I was then taken to an office where the lady interviewed me to be part of her team, in the soft lines clothing department. She asked me about myself and about 3 situational questions. She was very nice and personable. After some questions about being part of a team she said I was going to a second interview. I thought that I was scheduling for another one but she said she will send in a supervisor to interview me. I waited 10 minutes in the office and a lady came in. She asked me similar get to know me questions and then 3 situation type questions similar to before, expect putting myself as a target team member. She then asked me about the video and what my thoughts were. She went into detail about what the job would be and asked for my availability and we talked a little longer and said "I'd like to offer you this job, so-and-so (the first interviewer) will be here shortly to have papers form hr" and The first lady came back in after 10 minutes, told me she was really impressed and hired me.

Interview Questions
    • An item rings up 20 cents more than what the costumer says it was advertised with. What do you do?   View Answer
    She asked if 9.50 was okay and I said of course!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

A phone interview was set up and then I had to attend an interview with the hiring manager at the store. She asked me about myself and my experience and then gave me a couple of hypothetical questions about what I would do under certain situations and how I would handle a situation with an angry customer.

Interview Questions
    • If we placed you in the electronics department, what would you say to a customer that is inquiring about buying a Playstation for their child? How would you sell it to them?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

You fill out the application online. and they call you in for an interview. First you interview with a team lead, then you interview with ETL. The questions are easy. They are basically the same questions you answered with the online application.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult person.   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

1. Applied Online
    2.Got a phone interview in two days with a HR team member
    3. Scheduled an interview
    4. Had to take a questionnaire at the store before the interview
    5. First they call any manager or supervisor that is at the store to interview you
    6. Last interview is with the store manager (He or she decides if you got it or not).

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Target and not its competitors like Walmart or Costco?   Answer Question