Target

Average Difficulty
424 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Floor Team Member

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very easy I thought. As long as you prepare for a few basic interview questions, you will be fine. They start out by interviewing you with a Team Leader and if he/she likes you, then they pass you on to a quick questionnaire. Then after completing that you will go into a second interview with a Manager and he/she will ask you a few more questions. From there, if they like you, they will give you a conditional job offer and you will have to take a mandatory drug test with in 24 hours of the offer. If you pass, you will be contacted and scheduled for orientation.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you went above expectations, and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Sale Floor Team Member Interview

Sale Floor Team Member

I applied online and interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Interview process begins with a phone interview and than if you pass an onsite interview will take place. Sometimes a third interview will occur with the HR manager. Follow up on your application by calling the store, however if you applied at multiple stores than you interview won't go to the 2nd or 3rd choice until after the 1st choice turns you down. Many applicants think the application will go to all stores, however it goes in a specific order.

Interview Question – Pay attention during the job preview video.
Tell me about a time you made a mistake. What did you do?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none, only team leader and up

Medford, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on the target . Com and about 2 days later I received a call for a job interview. It went to my voicemail. I called back and the operator scheduled me for an interview time. I went on the date and time. I had to fill out another forum of questions in regards to situations. After I waited for the first interviewer. She came and took me into an office. She asked me some questions. I answered. After she asked me to wait back in the waiting area. I went back and maybe 5 minutes later another lady came out and I went into her office a Second interview. She asked me more questions and she offered me a contingent job offer. All in all it was a smooth interview process. One of the smoothest I have ever had especially in retail.

Interview Questions

• What would your current supervisor say are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to work for Target?   Answer Question
  • Have you ever had a situation where you had to work in a team setting?   Answer Question
  • Did you ever had a situation were you made a mistake and later corrected it and learned from it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Well they said they start at 8.50 being in retail before that about an average salary. I have had worse and alittle better.

Austin, TX

Interview Details – Applied online - They require you to choose 3 positions you might be interested it. In addition to the standard personal info section, they have a long questionnaire section asking about your personality and about what would you do in certain scenarios, such as how to deal with angry customers and so on.

3 days later they called and conducted a phone interview. They wanted to know which of the three positions that I had chosen was the one I actually wanted. This flustered me a bit, because I thought all three were okay and hadn't thought about which one was my favorite. I had to awkwardly take a moment to think about it in the middle of the phone interview and that was probably detrimental to how they thought of me. I randomly chose a position and said that's the one I wanted, even though I wasn't sure. Surprisingly, despite what went wrong, they scheduled the in-store interview for me the next day.

The next day, only 6 hours prior to the scheduled interview, they called and said they had to re-schedule it for tomorrow. I agreed. But, having had time to think about which position I wanted, I suggested the one I wanted, which was the cashier position; but they told me that I was not qualified for that because they wanted "super friendly" people who can chat with the customers and they told me I wasn't chatty enough with them on the phone. I don't remember any store cashier ever saying anything other than "Hi, how are you?" and "Thank you, have a nice day" to me, so I don't know how hard that's supposed to be...

The next day after that, when I went to the store for the interview, the service desk worker told me I had to complete some sort of questionnaire on one of the kiosks in the store. But I checked all the kiosks and the monitors were all off and I couldn't find any way to turn them on. I reported this to the service desk and they told me to go ahead and enter the employee area. When I got there, even though I had arrived right on the scheduled time, I had to sit and wait more than 10 minutes.

When the interviewer arrived, I asked him about the kiosks and he had to take a couple minutes to go check if he was allowed to continue with the interview or if I needed to do the kiosk thing first. He finally decided the kiosk wasn't important and went ahead with the interview. But it took until the middle of the interview for him to realize that he had been interviewing me for the wrong position, not the one I had chosen. So he had to exit the room to go check something for several minutes before returning and continuing the interview.

The interview mostly consisted of asking standard interview questions, such as "Describe a challenge you overcame" or "Describe a mistake you fixed" and so on. Aside from those standard questions though, they also asked some questions that seemed like they were asking me about their own store policy, even though I had never been given a chance to learn about that. For example, what would you do if a customer disputes a price? I'm not supposed to make decisions like that on my own, am I? I assumed they would have some sort of store policy for situations like that. After the interview, the interviewer actually said "I look forward to working with you" before correcting himself and adding "...if you get hired;" so I thought it had gone well.

2 days later, however, I received an email that said "We are unable to offer you a position at this time."

Interview Question – What would you do if a customer disputes a price?   View Answer

La Habra, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in May 2014.

Interview Details – i went to two interviews and first one they wouldn't hire me bc of medical marijuana and now i stopped it i applied again i went to the second interview and i got hired

Interview Question – when will you like to start working   View Answer

Centerville, UT

I applied online - interviewed at Target in June 2014.

Interview Details – Everyone was very welcoming and nice, the interview went okay, his name was Mike. All he did was read the questions from the little packet he had with him. Everything went really smooth, he was very nice and professional. But the only reason I didn't get the job was because I told him I have a 4 month son. So to me that was a big waste of time. Just because people have children shouldn't reflect on the type of skills they can bring to the table .

Interview Question – Tell me a little but about yourself,
Tell me a time when...
What would you say your weakest point is
  Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – The process was very fast. I submitted my application online, which is quite lengthy. After about an hour someone, who was very kind and helpful, called to do a basic preliminary phone interview. I was then instructed to call a number for information related to tax credits or something, asking if I was getting government assistance. I was to call that number before my more detailed phone interview, which was set up for the following morning. That interview was easy, 5 or so behavioral/scenario questions and a basic rundown of the skills needed for the job. I was then asked to come in the next day for a second in-person interview. I arrived on time for it, but was told the manager (LoD) was on lunch, which I thought was unprofessional. I was asked if I had filled out the online questionnaire; I said I had filled out a 50-question test as part of my application. I was told this was a different one, and they sat me down and told me to log in and fill it out and when I finished, the manager should be back from lunch, and then I was left alone. I logged on and the computer told me I had already completed the test, so I waited for twenty minutes and then had my interview. It was very basic, some "what would you do in this situation?" questions as well as greatest strength, greatest weakness, have I ever gone above and beyond for a customer and explain. After that my paperwork was handed over to HR who told me to get a drug test in 24 hours and when orientation would be. It was very easy and quick, although I left to go take the drug test and when I did I got a call from HR saying I needed to fill out the computer questionnaire. I explained that the computer told me I had, but she said it was an error. So I went back and filled out a 75 question test on pencil and paper, where the first 50 questions were the same as my application. But, after that I was done.

Interview Question – "What would you do if a guest contested you on the price that an item rang up?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was possible.

Kansas City, KS

I applied online - interviewed at Target in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and a week or two later I got a phone call. They asked me a couple general questions and then scheduled a phone interview for the next day at 9am. The next day, no one had called by 10, so I called and found out the interviewer wouldn't be in until 11. The next day, I had still not gotten a call, so I called and left my name again, asking to reschedule since no one ever called. They assured me someone would call me back. Today I got an email saying "We are unable to offer you a position. Thank you for applying."
This whole process has been disappointing and makes me think this store is disorganized.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Target?   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Target in July 2014.

Interview Details – A lot of typical questions. Why do you want to work here? What customer service skills do you bring? How will you provide excellent customer service skills? Are you flexible with work schedules?

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you took a very difficult situation and turned for good.   Answer Question

Wheaton, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Can apply online or in store. They will interview you with one person and a little later another person will interview you if they like you. A background check will be run as well as a drug test. The interview questions do not really need to be prepared for. As long as you can supply a answer you will do well.

Interview Question – How did you over come a problem at you old job? May be difficult to answer if you never had a job before.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation procedure.

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!