Target

Updated Dec 12, 2014

2.2

473 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

First off, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted their interview experiences here, I definitely credit reading all of these to helping me get the job! If you're here because you're about to have an interview, if you read up here I think you'll do just fine (:

Allow me to also mention that the position I applied for was seasonal, but it doesn't seem like the interviewing process is any different at all.

When I applied for Target online, I was also applying for many other places, so I can't be sure how long it took for them to call me, but it was at least a week. They called me on a Monday, but I missed it and I called them back on a Tuesday. We set up a phone interview for 11am on Wednesday. On Wednesday, however, they didn't call me at the time they said (on the phone they did say this was a possibility, but to call the store after 15 minutes). I decided to give them an extra 30, and was about to call them around 11:30 when they called me. The phone interview was not with who I was told it was going to be, which of course is fine but gave me a bit of a look at how hectic of a workplace it may be.

The phone interview was 7 questions, asking things such as strengths and weaknesses, what my previous boss/coworkers thought of my work, a time where I went above and beyond at work, a time I worked as a team, a time where I worked in a time crunch, and questions about my availability. After I finished all the questions, the interviewer (who I found out is the Team Leader, so it may be the same in your case) told me she would recommend me for a second interview, and told me I'd be getting a call within the next week to schedule an in-person interview with an executive (sounds a bit intimidating, but it wasn't!). I got a call on Friday to schedule my second interview the following Monday.

When I got to the store, I was told to take a questionnaire on the in-store kiosks, which was about 20 questions long and very similar to the online application. I don't really remember any of them, but they were multiple choice, composed of scenario based questions and you had to chose the best response and the worst response for that situation. It was really easy. After the questionnaire I was told to go upstairs and let HR know I was there. I ended up waiting for about 30 minutes, because the managers ended up taking a late lunch, but after reading these reviews I expected to wait a while.

The interview was fairly easy, with pretty much the same questions as the phone interview, just reworded. They also asked me the same "What would you do if" questions they asked everyone else, about the out of stock shoe size and the customer who claimed the item was $17 when it rings up for $19 (A lot of people on glassdoor have said to just trust the customer, and my answer was something along the lines of 'trust the customer if it's not a big deal, if it is a great amount then ask another employee to check the price in a way that doesn't sound like i don't trust the customer' but all in all, i couldn't really tell what answer they were looking for). She asked if I was interested in hardlines or softlines, so have an idea of what area you'd like to work in before your interview (at the store I was applying to, hardlines is simply the tiled parts of the floor and softlines is the carpeted part of the floor. Softlines was clothes, hardlines was everything else). If you truly aren't sure at the time, I was told that you are able to transfer after you've decided, but it's possible that that's only at that particular Target. I was told I did well in the interview, and that when I went back in the break room, I would be job offered on the spot.

During my job offering, I was told it'd be $8.50 an hour, and I would not be drug tested (though this seemed a bit unusual, so expect a drug test). I was told I'd have an orientation within a few weeks.

Overall I had a very good experience, even though I was very nervous!

Interview Questions
  • If you read the questions they asked other people in the reviews on glassdoor, you'll be fine (:   Answer Question
No negotiation, but I wasn't planning to either way.

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Target.

Apply online and called two days after to set up an interview date. The interview was with two different leaders who asked similar questions. It was straightforward and I didn't feel uncomfortable.

Didn't attempt to negotiate

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Just fill out an application online. If you are really serious about a job give HR a call or come in and talk to an LOD and let them know you are really interested. That way you can get a phone interview. If you pass the phone interview you will be asked to come into the store to interview with one of the ETL's. As long as you answer all the questions in STAR format and you show you want to job you will get it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you worked as a group or team that accomplished your goal?   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

It was a mass hiring during when the store was first opening and I literally walked in, sat down, said hello and got a job with no prior work experience.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

Applied online. Received phone call and scheduled an interview date. Went to interview by speaking to front desk. I was told to wait for the interviewer to be available, so I sat down on a bench inside. I assume there were two other people before me as I had to wait 30 minutes after my scheduled time before being called in. First they have you watch a job expectations video then the interview starts. The interview was as typical as interviews get including questions like, "Tell me about yourself.", "Tell me about a challenge or conflict you've faced, and how you dealt with it." and, "Why do you want to work here?" Two weeks after the interview I received a phone call politely declining me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highlands Ranch, CO

I applied online – interviewed at Target in December 2014.

They put you in a little room. I was 1 on 1. They ask basic questions. Strengths weaknesses, previous jobs. Glassdoor interview reviews are spot on. You watch a video and they come back saying whether or not you get a second interview. mine was right after the first. They ask about a time on a job you had a problem and how you solved it and the outcome. They also do 2 scenario questions. Glass door is spot on. 1 shoe department 1 cashier question.

Interview Questions
    • You are in the shoe department and they can just walks up to you asking where a certain shoe is but you do not work in the particular department what do you do?   View Answer
    • You are working the cashier And you are ringing a guest items one item comes up at 19.99 when the guest says it is on sale for 17.99 what do you do?   View Answer
    For pay I put down open there was no negotiation at all they're paying me nine dollars an hour it is a seasonal jobthey asked my availability and I had to take 23 December off which they did not like it but they still hired me

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Target.

It was very standardized. They called me and asked me why I wanted to work for Target, and then gave me a date for an interview. I went wore a red shirt and nice dress pants and I had an interview with a team leader. It was very straightforward asked typical "tell me a time when.." questions. Just be really friendly and make sure your examples have a beginning middle and end (that's part of what they rate it upon), and by that I mean give some background, and then tell what you did, and then the conclusion of that.

So, at the end of that interview he said that he really liked me and would refer me for a second interview, before that I had to go to a hiring kiosk and take a 20 question survey about what I thought was the worst and best possible ways to handle situations. Always pick the ones were it says you would go to your supervisor and the worst ones would be anything with confronting someone.

After that a manager comes and takes you for your second interview, basically asks the same questions, I would suggest trying to give different examples, though I didn't. They also asked two important questions, first, what would you do if we didn't have a shoe a guest was looking for. The answer is to say that you would apologize and check to see if we had any in the back, or at another store for them. Really focus on trying to make the customer happy. The second question was if an item rang up as 19.99 and the guest said it was 17.99, what would you do. This is very important!! You would apologize and then trust the guest and give it to them for 17.99! This is the absolute correct answer. Target believes its better to lose that 2 dollar difference rather than the whole sale.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

I applied online and received a phone call that very same day to schedule an interview. Before the interview, I was told to finish part 2 of the application process at a target kiosk (computer) which consisted of 20 situational questions. As I finished, I was then told to wait in break room. I was interviewed by three interviewees: team member, team leader, and executive team leader. All three interviewees were really down to earth. I was told that I would be a good candidate for the position and that I would be working hardlines which is stocking shelves, answering guest questions and helping out cashier if need be. During my job offering, I was told that I would be making $9.50/hr and no drug test would be required.

In conclusion, I had a very good experience, although I was really nervous.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • What are your strengths?   Answer Question
    • If a customer can't find a shoe size of a particular brand, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • Fairly easy interview questions to answer. I would advise all those who have an interview scheduled to read other glassdoor resposnes and that should help you prepare! I know it helped me (:   Answer Question
    $9.50/hr

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target.

Took about 5 days for them to contact after I submitted online application. Interviewers were friendly. Be prepared before interview, go through comments on here and it's basically the same questions. This helped me so we weren't staring at each other while I thought of a response.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Target.

I got a call on Wednesday morning for a phone interview and it went well. After she offered me a second interview but said she'd call back to set up a time. She never did. So I kept calling for 3-4 days straight but they said they were busy. Finally a week later I got the call for a second interview and I had to take an assessment test at a kiosk which was quick and easy. Then I sat in the break room and I made friends with the people waiting and chatted. Finally get put them me to watch a video on employment and finally I got interviewed. She was intense and I was nervous but I answered smoothly and elaborated heavily. Then she took me to take another seat and 10 min later I was offered a job. Totally worth the wait and nerves. It all lasted about 2hrs