Target Sales Floor Team Member Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Cumming, GA
Anonymous Employee in Cumming, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Target in March 2015.

I was called by the HR department and asked to come in for an interview. I showed up about 10 minutes early and went to the guest services desk as instructed and asked for my interviewer. They seemed rather disorganized, as they put out a call for the Team Lead who was supposed to be interviewing me twice with no response, and the third time he came and then got immediately distracted.

When I finally got in to the interview, it was only about five minutes of sitting down and talking as he made notes before he took me to take a survey (that I had already completed on the application). He said he had to find someone to give me my second interview. I thought it was kind of strange that they didn't have that set up already, since it's something they have to do at every interview. After another about 5 minute conversation with her taking notes, I was told that HR would call me to let me know if I would move on in the employment process or not.

I was not called. I received a form letter email notifying me that I would not be considered further, which I found kind of annoying and unprofessional. Overall, a disorganized interview. The interviewers didn't look at me as they interviewed me, they sat and read off their papers and didn't look up. They also complained that they had to take all these notes for HR to read and evaluate, instead of HR doing interviews themselves.

Interview Questions
  • If you had a customer come to the register with an item that scanned at $19.99, but the customer insisted that the price on the shelf was 9.99, what would you do?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target in March 2015.

Online application. Call back in one day, set up interview for next day at 130 .First in store assessment only 30 very similar question (don't take too long it doesn't count much) then interview 1 with one employee (I though he was a manager but he actually works in the food cafe) with a series of questions on why you want to work at target then 3 questions on past events such as a time when you and a team solved a problem or when you went above and beyond with a customer. 2nd interview 10 mins after that, almost identical questions so think of new answer s. The three questions are made up situations and how you would handle it. I then waited 20 mins in the break room then a lady came up with paperwork saying I was chosen for the job. No drug test for seasonal(team member). Orientation should start in 5-7 days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilsonville, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilsonville, OR

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target in March 2015.

I got a call from a manager exactly one week after applying in my local store and they asked me what position I wanted (on the computer I put 3 choices) and asked me if my availability was correct, as well as the wage I would be offered (no negotiation). They then asked if I would be available the next day for a phone interview.

The next day I got a call from an ETL and they asked me about 5 questions. They asked why I wanted to work at Target, a little about myself, what would a previous boss say is one of my strengths, name a time I encouraged a coworker, and name a time I had to juggle priorities and how I handled it. It was only about 15 minutes. After that, they asked if I could come in for a face to face interview that evening with one of the assistant managers.

I showed up to the Target store and they had me complete a 20 question, multiple choice survey asking what would be the "best" and "worst choices in those situations. Pretty easy, common sense questions. Then I was brought into the back room and watched a Sales Floor Team Member video. Then I was interviewed by the assistant manager. All the questions were situational/behavioral and they want you to give an example and state the outcome. The questions asked: name one of your weaknesses, name a time you had to lead a team, describe a time you didn't get along well with a coworker, etc. Again, pretty easy questions. Then they asked if I had any questions to ask. They told me what the pay would be and asked if the hours I had available were correct and then they had me sign a notice stating if I had had any felonies. Then they told me Target would call to schedule another interview with the Human Resources Team Member.

I came in the next day and met with the HR member and they asked to tell them about myself and why I thought I would be a good fit at Target. Then they pulled out the folder and asked if I accepted their offer and what the pay would be. Then they said I would be getting an email from Target to let me know when orientation would be.

Overall, the process was super fast and everyone was completely friendly. The interview was really laid back and easy and I'm really looking forward to working there!

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target in March 2015.

I applied online for any and all positions even if they weren't hiring at multiple locations. After a week I received a call from Target HR offering me an interview for multiple different openings. She continued to inform me of the job(s) and scheduled me for an interview the following day. When I arrived to the interview I was set up on a computer for a little questionnaire of typical questions about situations that could occur in a work environment. I then had an interview with an associate who pretty much assured me that the interview was a formality my resume pretty much got me the job. She asked me to verify my availability and a few typical questions. I then had a interview with the store manager and it was again a very relaxed environment. We talked about my experience in a retail environment and then did my background check paperwork. He then told me I would be contacted the next day with an offer. Not even after being home for an hour I got the offer.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Target in March 2015.

I applied online and then called the store the next day to follow up. They scheduled an interview for two days later. I arrived and they had me complete a two part questionnaire and then I wast taken into the back room where a Team Leader interview me. The process was fairly easy as I had previous retail experience and management experience. She then had me watch a video on being a sales floor team member while she looked for someone to give me my second interview. After the video I had my second interview with the head of HR and it was also fairly easy. At the end she explained that she felt my skills could be better used for a position up front and told me to wait while she talked to guest services. I waited and she called me back into her office. She said that there were not any openings at guest services, but she offered me a position in electronics and a wage increase. She also explained that in two weeks everyone's wage in the store would increase on a predetermined scale and everyone would make at least 9 an hour. I would make more when the store switched over due to my previous experience. She was very nice and excited to have me at target. Overall it was an easy process and I can't wait to start. When preparing for the interview just remember to go over standard interview questions and market yourself well.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a situation in which a customer interrupted you during a task?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in March 2015.

I applied online, got a call back about two days later. They scheduled a phone interview for the following week. After the phone interview, I got another call to schedule a face-to-face interview. First, you have to do a survey, then watch a video. Then you get to the interview(s). There were two women who conducted interviews with me. The first was basic formal questions, the other was scheduling. Very easy, I would say the phone interview was the hardest part.

Interview Questions
    • Describe yourself?   Answer Question
    • If we had to ask previous employers/teachers, what would they say you need to improve on?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation in which you had to stand up for yourself.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time in which you had to lead a team, and how did your teacher/employer react?   Answer Question
    • Did you learn anything from the video?   Answer Question
    They confirmed what position I was applying for, and told me the starting pay.

Anonymous Employee in Hickory, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Hickory, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Target in March 2015.

Long time and very detail questions it was good. Try to be more business like when you are to answer questions. It was a good experience at the least and have a good attitude

Interview Questions
    • what percentage of politicians do you think are truthful   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in March 2015.

I applied online on a Monday night and two days later I got a phone call interview, was told if I qualify by the HR manager that then I'll get a call back for a in store interview.

Interview Questions
    • If I talked to your old supervisor, what would they say your strengths and weakness were?   View Answer

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

First off, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted their interview experiences here, I definitely credit reading all of these to helping me get the job! If you're here because you're about to have an interview, if you read up here I think you'll do just fine (:

Allow me to also mention that the position I applied for was seasonal, but it doesn't seem like the interviewing process is any different at all.

When I applied for Target online, I was also applying for many other places, so I can't be sure how long it took for them to call me, but it was at least a week. They called me on a Monday, but I missed it and I called them back on a Tuesday. We set up a phone interview for 11am on Wednesday. On Wednesday, however, they didn't call me at the time they said (on the phone they did say this was a possibility, but to call the store after 15 minutes). I decided to give them an extra 30, and was about to call them around 11:30 when they called me. The phone interview was not with who I was told it was going to be, which of course is fine but gave me a bit of a look at how hectic of a workplace it may be.

The phone interview was 7 questions, asking things such as strengths and weaknesses, what my previous boss/coworkers thought of my work, a time where I went above and beyond at work, a time I worked as a team, a time where I worked in a time crunch, and questions about my availability. After I finished all the questions, the interviewer (who I found out is the Team Leader, so it may be the same in your case) told me she would recommend me for a second interview, and told me I'd be getting a call within the next week to schedule an in-person interview with an executive (sounds a bit intimidating, but it wasn't!). I got a call on Friday to schedule my second interview the following Monday.

When I got to the store, I was told to take a questionnaire on the in-store kiosks, which was about 20 questions long and very similar to the online application. I don't really remember any of them, but they were multiple choice, composed of scenario based questions and you had to chose the best response and the worst response for that situation. It was really easy. After the questionnaire I was told to go upstairs and let HR know I was there. I ended up waiting for about 30 minutes, because the managers ended up taking a late lunch, but after reading these reviews I expected to wait a while.

The interview was fairly easy, with pretty much the same questions as the phone interview, just reworded. They also asked me the same "What would you do if" questions they asked everyone else, about the out of stock shoe size and the customer who claimed the item was $17 when it rings up for $19 (A lot of people on glassdoor have said to just trust the customer, and my answer was something along the lines of 'trust the customer if it's not a big deal, if it is a great amount then ask another employee to check the price in a way that doesn't sound like i don't trust the customer' but all in all, i couldn't really tell what answer they were looking for). She asked if I was interested in hardlines or softlines, so have an idea of what area you'd like to work in before your interview (at the store I was applying to, hardlines is simply the tiled parts of the floor and softlines is the carpeted part of the floor. Softlines was clothes, hardlines was everything else). If you truly aren't sure at the time, I was told that you are able to transfer after you've decided, but it's possible that that's only at that particular Target. I was told I did well in the interview, and that when I went back in the break room, I would be job offered on the spot.

During my job offering, I was told it'd be $8.50 an hour, and I would not be drug tested (though this seemed a bit unusual, so expect a drug test). I was told I'd have an orientation within a few weeks.

Overall I had a very good experience, even though I was very nervous!

Interview Questions
    • If you read the questions they asked other people in the reviews on glassdoor, you'll be fine (:   Answer Question
    No negotiation, but I wasn't planning to either way.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Took about 3 days after submitting an application to get called in for an interview. Had to do another questionnaire at the store on one of the computers then went in for the interview. I had two interviews, the first was with a lead sales floor member and the second was with a hiring manager, they ask basic interview questions and it isn't a long interview. They told me I would hear back within the next 7 days so hoping it went as well as I feel it did.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you worked in a team and explain the situation?
      Explain a time you went beyond what was expected of you?
      If a customer was lookjng for pair of shoes but there wasn't any in the right size what would you do?
      If an item came up as 19.99 but the customer says it was listed as 17.99 how would you handle the situation?

Answer Question