Target Sales Floor Team Member Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.2

441 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

First off, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted their interview experiences here, I definitely credit reading all of these to helping me get the job! If you're here because you're about to have an interview, if you read up here I think you'll do just fine (:

Allow me to also mention that the position I applied for was seasonal, but it doesn't seem like the interviewing process is any different at all.

When I applied for Target online, I was also applying for many other places, so I can't be sure how long it took for them to call me, but it was at least a week. They called me on a Monday, but I missed it and I called them back on a Tuesday. We set up a phone interview for 11am on Wednesday. On Wednesday, however, they didn't call me at the time they said (on the phone they did say this was a possibility, but to call the store after 15 minutes). I decided to give them an extra 30, and was about to call them around 11:30 when they called me. The phone interview was not with who I was told it was going to be, which of course is fine but gave me a bit of a look at how hectic of a workplace it may be.

The phone interview was 7 questions, asking things such as strengths and weaknesses, what my previous boss/coworkers thought of my work, a time where I went above and beyond at work, a time I worked as a team, a time where I worked in a time crunch, and questions about my availability. After I finished all the questions, the interviewer (who I found out is the Team Leader, so it may be the same in your case) told me she would recommend me for a second interview, and told me I'd be getting a call within the next week to schedule an in-person interview with an executive (sounds a bit intimidating, but it wasn't!). I got a call on Friday to schedule my second interview the following Monday.

When I got to the store, I was told to take a questionnaire on the in-store kiosks, which was about 20 questions long and very similar to the online application. I don't really remember any of them, but they were multiple choice, composed of scenario based questions and you had to chose the best response and the worst response for that situation. It was really easy. After the questionnaire I was told to go upstairs and let HR know I was there. I ended up waiting for about 30 minutes, because the managers ended up taking a late lunch, but after reading these reviews I expected to wait a while.

The interview was fairly easy, with pretty much the same questions as the phone interview, just reworded. They also asked me the same "What would you do if" questions they asked everyone else, about the out of stock shoe size and the customer who claimed the item was $17 when it rings up for $19 (A lot of people on glassdoor have said to just trust the customer, and my answer was something along the lines of 'trust the customer if it's not a big deal, if it is a great amount then ask another employee to check the price in a way that doesn't sound like i don't trust the customer' but all in all, i couldn't really tell what answer they were looking for). She asked if I was interested in hardlines or softlines, so have an idea of what area you'd like to work in before your interview (at the store I was applying to, hardlines is simply the tiled parts of the floor and softlines is the carpeted part of the floor. Softlines was clothes, hardlines was everything else). If you truly aren't sure at the time, I was told that you are able to transfer after you've decided, but it's possible that that's only at that particular Target. I was told I did well in the interview, and that when I went back in the break room, I would be job offered on the spot.

During my job offering, I was told it'd be $8.50 an hour, and I would not be drug tested (though this seemed a bit unusual, so expect a drug test). I was told I'd have an orientation within a few weeks.

Overall I had a very good experience, even though I was very nervous!

Interview Questions
  • If you read the questions they asked other people in the reviews on glassdoor, you'll be fine (:   Answer Question
No negotiation, but I wasn't planning to either way.

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

Applied online got a call a few hours later. The phone call was a little interview . He asked me was i still interested ,what was my availability, how much i was getting paid 8.50. and why did i want to work there. I was asked to come in for an interview the next day.

At the 1:1 interview I was asked situational questions which most of the people say on here. I initially applied as a cashier since i have the experience but they interviewed me for Sales Floor.
    I then went straight to my 2nd interview this lady was more friendlier than the first. She asked me the same questions as the first and why i wanted to work there. soon after she told me congrats and to wait in the waiting room for my job offer. since it wold be seasonal i would start in November. No drug test since its Seasonal!

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      What wold you do if a customer item rang up as 19.99 but she said she saw it was 17.99 . (Agree with the customer and change it for her!) weird right i know but thats what the interviewer told me.
      Why do you want to work here?
      Name a time you had different task all at once what was the outcome.
      Name a time you made a mistake, how did you fix it and what was the outcome.
      Name a time you went above expectations
      What if a customer shoes was out of stock what would you do?
        Answer Question
    None no matter your experience.

Sales Floor Team Member' Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Long 1 hr Questionnaire online or in store at a kiosk
    Gave me a call with a time to come in for interview
    Interview with one person (hr)
    Orientation video about kinds of things you would do
    then another interview if you are still interested (store manager)

Interview Questions
    • what would you do if a customer disputed the price of an item, in this case 17 instead of 19   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

The whole process took 4 days . They called 2 days after I applied and they just told me to come in 2 days later for an interview . Which was today , first you get interviewed with one women and they ask basic question about past jobs and the responsibilities . Pretty easy , the lady was super nice and made me feel comfortable . Then she says go back in the waiting room for the next interview. So the next women comes and asks similar questions , she was sweet also . I wasn't nervous at all. Then she says wait in the break room. 5 minutes later ANOTHER women brings me to her office and says I got the job and that orientation is next Monday .

Interview Questions
    • What if a customer asks a question and you don't know the answer?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

On the first day of the interview, I had to wait at TSC (Team Member Services Center). I arrived 10 minutes earlier than my scheduled time, but HR did not call me in until 20 minutes after my scheduled time. We did not do interviews at the TSC, but we went up to the third floor to the ETL offices. There was another potential employee waiting with me, and he went to have his interview first while I waited in a small section of the offices. Yeah, more waiting.

I interviewed a Team Leader (TL) first in the TL's office. It was a pretty ordinary interview, though I felt that there were a lot of questions asked. The TL introduced himself first. We then discussed my availability, then the TL gave me information about the position Target was offering me. I was being offered to work in Softlines (clothes) where I would be picking up and folding clothes and restocking areas when necessary. The TL told me what was expected and asked whether I was interested in this position. I was actually reluctant at first because I can't fold clothes quickly, but I answered that I was willing to do anything because I just needed a job. The TL then asked if there was a particular person under which I was willing to be trained, whether the person be male or female. We then followed with the usual "Tell me about yourself", "What would you be able to bring to the job", and "Why Target?" questions. I was also asked whether I can work under pressure and if I would be able to get through training quickly. After the interview, the TL told me to wait in the waiting room again for my second interview with one of the Executive Team Leaders (ETL). At this point, I did not know how many other interviews I was going to have because HR did not make that clear to begin with, though I could have asked.

My next interview with the ETL in another office started out almost the same way as my first, in which we introduced ourselves and I answered pretty much the same questions asked in my first interview. At this point it felt very redundant since my responses were being taken down in the same paper packet. But it is probable that it was good if a second set of eyes and ears grasped a sense of who I am and what I am bringing with me to the job. However, a differentiating aspect of this interview was that I had to answer hypothetical scenario questions, "What would you do if..." After seeing Glassdoor's reviews of the Target interview process, as well as through shopping with my mother, I already had an idea of how to respond to those questions. We proceeded with whether there were other areas in Target in which I was interested in working besides in softlines. Perhaps based on my response, we then closed the interview with the ETL saying I would have to come back another day during the week for a third interview with another ETL from another department who was not even in work at that day. This day would be scheduled through phone; they would call me back.

I came in for the second day of my interview process and waited again at the TSC around 15 minutes earlier than my scheduled time. However, I was surprised this time that HR called me in earlier than my scheduled time when they already saw me waiting. This time, I had my interview in a conference room, and the ETL asked the same preliminary questions about myself. The ETL then asked if I had seen "the video" about working at Target. I didn't, so the ETL attempted to put it on the TV that was in the room, but the ETL did not have the CD, so instead the ETL briefed me on what the video was about. The ETL asked if I was interested in working in Guest Services, to which I said yes, but the ETL seemed on the fence about how I was responding to the hypothetical scenario questions that followed. ETL really wanted me to work at Target, but the only thing that was challenging was figuring out where I would be put. We then took a "field trip" around the store over to a couple of the grocery aisles where I was asked what I would do to make the aisles look better (and then show the ETL right there). Believe me that I had no experience actually doing this in a store, but I had my own ideas of how store aesthetics should be maintained, so when I did my thing, it seemed pretty clear to the ETL that I be put in Hardlines (products other than clothes) where I will be cross-trained in Entertainment. That was a relieving for me because I really did not want to be picking up and folding clothes all day. At the moment, and even looking back, I felt that this "field trip" with the ETL was a very good idea because, while we were still in the interview process, I was able to demonstrate hands-on what I would do, and actually do, in a particular situation. It was not all about talk, but actual doing that was involved, which I feel more interviews should really involve. We returned to HSC and the ETL offered me a conditional job offer, and I would have to come back for drug testing.

Interview Questions
    • What previous experiences can you bring to this job? (I've never worked before, let alone in retail, so I thought this was a bit tough to give a *direct* answer)   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Target.

I applied to one specific location, but a different location got my info and called me to come to their job fair. I went there thinking they had my application, but I had to fill one out by hand. The first interview was more into how you are as a person. The interviewer asked me questions about myself and what I do in my free time. I made it to the second interview with 2 managers each asking me more formal "experience" questions. I made the mistake of not being specific in my answers because I felt like I was being rushed. I think they score you in each question from 1-10 and if you score high enough, you'll get hired.

Interview Questions
    • You scan an item for sale at $17, but the customer tells you she thought it was $12. What do you do?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delray Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delray Beach, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

Filled out the online application at the Target kiosk. A days later I recieved a phone call scheduling a phone interview. Had my initial phone interview and second interview on the same day. Hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Target?   Answer Question
    • If you were ringing up a customer and a product rung up at $19 and the customer stated or was cheaper what would you do?   View Answer
    The starting salary was $9 an hour.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Interview was easy, basic interview questions such as what are you strengths and weaknesses, what you would do if an item rang up as a different price than what the customer said was posted (you take the customer's word for it), when was a time where you made a mistake and what did you do, and so on.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time where you made a mistake and what did you do?   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in September 2014.

I applied online and received a call a few hours later to schedule a phone screening. It was nerve wracking for me and I froze up and accidentally hung up on the poor guy, but I still got scheduled for an interview. If I remember right, the questions were 'why target', 'strengths and areas for improvement', 'a time you had to work with a team', 'a time you exceeded expectations', and 'a time you had to work under time restraint' or something along those lines. These questions were actually harder for me than the interview itself, so read up on this site and prepare your stories!

The interview was surprisingly easy and very pleasant. The employees were very nice to me and they made the process fun! The first thing I had to do was fill out a survey at their kiosk, which you WILL need your social security number for, so don't be like me and forget it! If you do you can ask them to get it off your application, though.

Once I'd answered some situational questions (you suspect a guest is stealing, what do you do? an associate won't do their task, what do you do? That sort of thing) on the computer I was led to the back to do my actual interview. First they'll ask 'why target' and your strengths and weaknesses, then they'll have you watch a video detailing your desired position. I only had to answer three questions after that (item rings up $19 but guest says its $17, guest can't find particular shoe size, describe a time when you did something and realized at the end you'd done it wrong and what did you do), and they were very easy as long as you come prepared!

After answering those questions another man took me to his office and offered me the job as long as I passed the drug test. Overall easy and relaxing process once you get past the phone interview!

Make sure you dress well and smile! Sit with good posture and use buzzwords like 'communication' and 'positive' and you'll be golden. Good luck!!

Interview Questions
    • 1) An item rings up as $19 but the guest insists that its $17, what do you do?

2) A woman can't find the correct shoe size of a particular brand of shoe, what do you do?
        View Answer

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Target.

You apply at the computers in the store. The next day and it was a saturday they called me I came in to interview that Monday and had interviews with two different people. It was fairly basic stuff they read off a sheet.

Interview Questions
    • If someone challenges a price that rings up On an item when you scan what do you do?   View Answer
    No negotiation.