Target Sales Floor Team Member Interview Questions & Reviews

2.2

428 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Concord, NC
Anonymous Employee in Concord, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Target in July 2014.

-- I apologize in advance for the lengthy explanation. I attempted to cover everything as efficiently yet thoroughly as possible in case it would be informative or useful for someone. For everyone else, see the "TL;DR" (Too Long; Didn't Read) at the bottom. --

I applied online (6/24) for a few positions of interest, namely Sales Floor and Cashier. I followed up over the phone a few times before someone finally called back (7/05), and a phone interview was scheduled for the next day. The woman who conducted the interview asked a few basic scenario questions (e.g. "When was a time you sold something?"). Then she answered questions. She was polite and patient overall. I was told that my second interview should be in 2-3 days. However, it instead took over a week and following up again with the clerical team. Then someone called (7/15) to schedule my second interview.

When I finally walked in for my second interview (7/24), I went to Guest Services as instructed. Nobody initially seemed to know what to do with me. They placed me at one of their red application kiosks to complete a questionnaire. (There were about 50 questions, but every two were identical by glitch.) Then I informed whomever was available that I was done. I waited around quite a while, roughly 15-30 minutes if not longer, before someone showed up. A female Trainer escorted me to offices in the back and showed me two short videos about a few job positions.

After I watched the videos, I sat down with the Trainer and a management trainee for the interview. They were both amazingly helpful and positive. They answered any questions I had about the company/job. I learned about morning "Team Huddles", "4x4" (stock check), and auto-generated work schedules. The Trainer asked around five basic scenario questions from a paper (e.g. "When was a time something didn't go as planned?"). Then they walked me around the store to explain hardlines/softlines and the store layout.

Then I was taken to a manager's office. The manager went over the available positions and asked which one I would be interested in. I went for Cashier. She asked if I would accept the job if she offered it, to which I said "yes." I was informed that I would be contacted within a week before orientation. She handed a sheet with information to take to the in-store Clinic. I followed the procedures and completed the drug test then and there. Afterwards, I left the store and followed up a week later. I was told that the employment offer was declined due to pending charges on my background check.

----
TL;DR:
Applied online and followed up. Phone interview 11 days later that involved a few scenario questions. More following up. In-person interview 18 days later with short videos and more scenario questions. Talked to another manager. Drug test at in-store clinic. Followed up a few days later to learn my offer was declined.

Interview Questions
  • When was a time you helped a customer?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

I applied online in Late June, a week or so later I got a call asking if I was still interested in a job and to come in tomorrow for an interview. Unfortunately I couldn't make it. However, Early August, they call, ask if I am still interested, to which I am and schedule an in person interview. First interview was on Wednesday, Second was on Friday, and they told me to come in Wednesday to which they offered me the job. As long as you are prepared for the questions you will do fine.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't any negotiations, very flexible with scheduling hours however.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Target.

You start off watching a little video and doing a survey. Just the basic questionaire to see if you're not totally insane then they'll process that and wait. Someone comes and gives you an interview. The questions are really basic, anything you can find online. But my tip is to refer some of your answers to the short video they make you watch.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

I got a call from Target on August 11th, 2014 after submitting an application online. She scheduled a phone interview the next day at 10am. They asked about being apart of a team, how I would prioritize tasks and how I went out of my way to help someone. They also confirmed availability. I scheduled an in-person interview for August 14, 2014. They asked pretty much the same questions but she asked about what if an item rang up as a different price.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

The hiring process was very easy I thought. As long as you prepare for a few basic interview questions, you will be fine. They start out by interviewing you with a Team Leader and if he/she likes you, then they pass you on to a quick questionnaire. Then after completing that you will go into a second interview with a Manager and he/she will ask you a few more questions. From there, if they like you, they will give you a conditional job offer and you will have to take a mandatory drug test with in 24 hours of the offer. If you pass, you will be contacted and scheduled for orientation.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went above expectations, and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Sale Floor Team Member Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Target.

Interview process begins with a phone interview and than if you pass an onsite interview will take place. Sometimes a third interview will occur with the HR manager. Follow up on your application by calling the store, however if you applied at multiple stores than you interview won't go to the 2nd or 3rd choice until after the 1st choice turns you down. Many applicants think the application will go to all stores, however it goes in a specific order.

Interview Questions
    • Pay attention during the job preview video.
      Tell me about a time you made a mistake. What did you do?
        Answer Question
    none, only team leader and up

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Medford, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Medford, NY

I interviewed online - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

I applied on the target . Com and about 2 days later I received a call for a job interview. It went to my voicemail. I called back and the operator scheduled me for an interview time. I went on the date and time. I had to fill out another forum of questions in regards to situations. After I waited for the first interviewer. She came and took me into an office. She asked me some questions. I answered. After she asked me to wait back in the waiting area. I went back and maybe 5 minutes later another lady came out and I went into her office a Second interview. She asked me more questions and she offered me a contingent job offer. All in all it was a smooth interview process. One of the smoothest I have ever had especially in retail.

Interview Questions
    • What would your current supervisor say are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Target?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had a situation where you had to work in a team setting?   Answer Question
    • Did you ever had a situation were you made a mistake and later corrected it and learned from it?   Answer Question
    Well they said they start at 8.50 being in retail before that about an average salary. I have had worse and alittle better.

Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Applied online - They require you to choose 3 positions you might be interested it. In addition to the standard personal info section, they have a long questionnaire section asking about your personality and about what would you do in certain scenarios, such as how to deal with angry customers and so on.

3 days later they called and conducted a phone interview. They wanted to know which of the three positions that I had chosen was the one I actually wanted. This flustered me a bit, because I thought all three were okay and hadn't thought about which one was my favorite. I had to awkwardly take a moment to think about it in the middle of the phone interview and that was probably detrimental to how they thought of me. I randomly chose a position and said that's the one I wanted, even though I wasn't sure. Surprisingly, despite what went wrong, they scheduled the in-store interview for me the next day.

The next day, only 6 hours prior to the scheduled interview, they called and said they had to re-schedule it for tomorrow. I agreed. But, having had time to think about which position I wanted, I suggested the one I wanted, which was the cashier position; but they told me that I was not qualified for that because they wanted "super friendly" people who can chat with the customers and they told me I wasn't chatty enough with them on the phone. I don't remember any store cashier ever saying anything other than "Hi, how are you?" and "Thank you, have a nice day" to me, so I don't know how hard that's supposed to be...

The next day after that, when I went to the store for the interview, the service desk worker told me I had to complete some sort of questionnaire on one of the kiosks in the store. But I checked all the kiosks and the monitors were all off and I couldn't find any way to turn them on. I reported this to the service desk and they told me to go ahead and enter the employee area. When I got there, even though I had arrived right on the scheduled time, I had to sit and wait more than 10 minutes.

When the interviewer arrived, I asked him about the kiosks and he had to take a couple minutes to go check if he was allowed to continue with the interview or if I needed to do the kiosk thing first. He finally decided the kiosk wasn't important and went ahead with the interview. But it took until the middle of the interview for him to realize that he had been interviewing me for the wrong position, not the one I had chosen. So he had to exit the room to go check something for several minutes before returning and continuing the interview.

The interview mostly consisted of asking standard interview questions, such as "Describe a challenge you overcame" or "Describe a mistake you fixed" and so on. Aside from those standard questions though, they also asked some questions that seemed like they were asking me about their own store policy, even though I had never been given a chance to learn about that. For example, what would you do if a customer disputes a price? I'm not supposed to make decisions like that on my own, am I? I assumed they would have some sort of store policy for situations like that. After the interview, the interviewer actually said "I look forward to working with you" before correcting himself and adding "...if you get hired;" so I thought it had gone well.

2 days later, however, I received an email that said "We are unable to offer you a position at this time."

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer disputes a price?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee  in  La Habra, CA
    Anonymous Employee in La Habra, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in May 2014.

i went to two interviews and first one they wouldn't hire me bc of medical marijuana and now i stopped it i applied again i went to the second interview and i got hired

Anonymous Employee  in  Centerville, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Centerville, UT

I interviewed online - interviewed at Target in June 2014.

Everyone was very welcoming and nice, the interview went okay, his name was Mike. All he did was read the questions from the little packet he had with him. Everything went really smooth, he was very nice and professional. But the only reason I didn't get the job was because I told him I have a 4 month son. So to me that was a big waste of time. Just because people have children shouldn't reflect on the type of skills they can bring to the table .

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a little but about yourself,
      Tell me a time when...
      What would you say your weakest point is
        Answer Question

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!