Target Sales Floor Team Member Interview Questions

Updated Oct 27, 2014

2.2

449 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

First off, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted their interview experiences here, I definitely credit reading all of these to helping me get the job! If you're here because you're about to have an interview, if you read up here I think you'll do just fine (:

Allow me to also mention that the position I applied for was seasonal, but it doesn't seem like the interviewing process is any different at all.

When I applied for Target online, I was also applying for many other places, so I can't be sure how long it took for them to call me, but it was at least a week. They called me on a Monday, but I missed it and I called them back on a Tuesday. We set up a phone interview for 11am on Wednesday. On Wednesday, however, they didn't call me at the time they said (on the phone they did say this was a possibility, but to call the store after 15 minutes). I decided to give them an extra 30, and was about to call them around 11:30 when they called me. The phone interview was not with who I was told it was going to be, which of course is fine but gave me a bit of a look at how hectic of a workplace it may be.

The phone interview was 7 questions, asking things such as strengths and weaknesses, what my previous boss/coworkers thought of my work, a time where I went above and beyond at work, a time I worked as a team, a time where I worked in a time crunch, and questions about my availability. After I finished all the questions, the interviewer (who I found out is the Team Leader, so it may be the same in your case) told me she would recommend me for a second interview, and told me I'd be getting a call within the next week to schedule an in-person interview with an executive (sounds a bit intimidating, but it wasn't!). I got a call on Friday to schedule my second interview the following Monday.

When I got to the store, I was told to take a questionnaire on the in-store kiosks, which was about 20 questions long and very similar to the online application. I don't really remember any of them, but they were multiple choice, composed of scenario based questions and you had to chose the best response and the worst response for that situation. It was really easy. After the questionnaire I was told to go upstairs and let HR know I was there. I ended up waiting for about 30 minutes, because the managers ended up taking a late lunch, but after reading these reviews I expected to wait a while.

The interview was fairly easy, with pretty much the same questions as the phone interview, just reworded. They also asked me the same "What would you do if" questions they asked everyone else, about the out of stock shoe size and the customer who claimed the item was $17 when it rings up for $19 (A lot of people on glassdoor have said to just trust the customer, and my answer was something along the lines of 'trust the customer if it's not a big deal, if it is a great amount then ask another employee to check the price in a way that doesn't sound like i don't trust the customer' but all in all, i couldn't really tell what answer they were looking for). She asked if I was interested in hardlines or softlines, so have an idea of what area you'd like to work in before your interview (at the store I was applying to, hardlines is simply the tiled parts of the floor and softlines is the carpeted part of the floor. Softlines was clothes, hardlines was everything else). If you truly aren't sure at the time, I was told that you are able to transfer after you've decided, but it's possible that that's only at that particular Target. I was told I did well in the interview, and that when I went back in the break room, I would be job offered on the spot.

During my job offering, I was told it'd be $8.50 an hour, and I would not be drug tested (though this seemed a bit unusual, so expect a drug test). I was told I'd have an orientation within a few weeks.

Overall I had a very good experience, even though I was very nervous!

Interview Questions
  • If you read the questions they asked other people in the reviews on glassdoor, you'll be fine (:   Answer Question
No negotiation, but I wasn't planning to either way.

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

I applied online and received a phone call that very same day to schedule an interview. Before the interview, I was told to finish part 2 of the application process at a target kiosk (computer) which consisted of 20 situational questions. As I finished, I was then told to wait in break room. I was interviewed by three interviewees: team member, team leader, and executive team leader. All three interviewees were really down to earth. I was told that I would be a good candidate for the position and that I would be working hardlines which is stocking shelves, answering guest questions and helping out cashier if need be. During my job offering, I was told that I would be making $9.50/hr and no drug test would be required.

In conclusion, I had a very good experience, although I was really nervous.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • What are your strengths?   Answer Question
    • If a customer can't find a shoe size of a particular brand, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • Fairly easy interview questions to answer. I would advise all those who have an interview scheduled to read other glassdoor resposnes and that should help you prepare! I know it helped me (:   Answer Question
    $9.50/hr

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Pretty long but easy, standard questions targeting your abilities to work as a team player, you take computerized test first, them meet with at least two future supervisors and being asked pretty much same questions. Your answers are written down and stored in your employee case. Questions are like: If you notice your co-worker doing something unappropriated what would be is your next move? Why do you want to work here? and so on

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Applied online, got emailed back in a week. Asked if I could work certain dates, why I wanted to work there, what my preferred hours would be, etc. Scheduled an interview for a week later. Told to finish application questionnaire at Kiosk in store. Interview went well. Talked with the first guy, he told me a little about Target, and their goals, etc. he asked the times and dates I could work, and 3 interview questions, which were basically "name a time when... and what you did in that situation". Asked me why I want to work for Target, what I could bring to the team. Pretty easy. I was asked to go back to the waiting room. 2nd interviewer came and got me within 5 minutes. She asked me 3 more interview questions, which were "what would you do in this situation...". She told me about Target, and and conversed a little, and had me wait in the waiting room again. A third person came and got me, and took me into their office to set up a job offer. Asked the hours I could work, explained the wage, etc. Now just waiting for the background check to come back, and off to orientation on Monday!

Interview Questions
    • A woman comes up to you, looking for a specific pair of shoes. You don't work in shoes, and don't even know if they're in stock. You take her over to the shoes, and the size she wants aren't there. What do you do?   Answer Question
    I didn't need to negotiate, it was my first job, and I was happy with getting it in the first place.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied to the position-Sales Floor Team Member online. Just 2 days later, I got a call and I went to the store and had an interview with a team leader in the same day. They just asked easy questions about customer experience but the process was long. It seemed like 30+ mins. However, I didn't get a call back and they sent me a rejected email.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question is some situational question. If you don't have any customer experience before, you have to prepare for it.   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Target.

First spoke to them at my university's job fair. They started of by telling me to talk about myself, literally an interview to see if you are capable of communicating efficiently. After the woman saw I described myself and my life well enough, she sent me to another woman where she greeted me and we worked on establishing an interview date. 2 weeks later, at the interview they asked me, again, to talk about myself, then they asked me behavioral questions, like what did you do when you had a certain issue at work, how did you handle it, or what if you have to get something done on time, you are way behind and its due the next day, what would you do? then the interviewer talked about his role, his life with target, and finally asked me if I had any questions, you should have some questions ready for them. Also, he asked me about my gpa, my past job, what my current salary was. (which you do NOT have to answer) because they are going to use it against you afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a problem at work, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

Applied online got a call a few hours later. The phone call was a little interview . He asked me was i still interested ,what was my availability, how much i was getting paid 8.50. and why did i want to work there. I was asked to come in for an interview the next day.

At the 1:1 interview I was asked situational questions which most of the people say on here. I initially applied as a cashier since i have the experience but they interviewed me for Sales Floor.
    I then went straight to my 2nd interview this lady was more friendlier than the first. She asked me the same questions as the first and why i wanted to work there. soon after she told me congrats and to wait in the waiting room for my job offer. since it wold be seasonal i would start in November. No drug test since its Seasonal!

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      What wold you do if a customer item rang up as 19.99 but she said she saw it was 17.99 . (Agree with the customer and change it for her!) weird right i know but thats what the interviewer told me.
      Why do you want to work here?
      Name a time you had different task all at once what was the outcome.
      Name a time you made a mistake, how did you fix it and what was the outcome.
      Name a time you went above expectations
      What if a customer shoes was out of stock what would you do?
        Answer Question
    None no matter your experience.

Sales Floor Team Member' Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Long 1 hr Questionnaire online or in store at a kiosk
    Gave me a call with a time to come in for interview
    Interview with one person (hr)
    Orientation video about kinds of things you would do
    then another interview if you are still interested (store manager)

Interview Questions
    • what would you do if a customer disputed the price of an item, in this case 17 instead of 19   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

The whole process took 4 days . They called 2 days after I applied and they just told me to come in 2 days later for an interview . Which was today , first you get interviewed with one women and they ask basic question about past jobs and the responsibilities . Pretty easy , the lady was super nice and made me feel comfortable . Then she says go back in the waiting room for the next interview. So the next women comes and asks similar questions , she was sweet also . I wasn't nervous at all. Then she says wait in the break room. 5 minutes later ANOTHER women brings me to her office and says I got the job and that orientation is next Monday .

Interview Questions
    • What if a customer asks a question and you don't know the answer?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

On the first day of the interview, I had to wait at TSC (Team Member Services Center). I arrived 10 minutes earlier than my scheduled time, but HR did not call me in until 20 minutes after my scheduled time. We did not do interviews at the TSC, but we went up to the third floor to the ETL offices. There was another potential employee waiting with me, and he went to have his interview first while I waited in a small section of the offices. Yeah, more waiting.

I interviewed a Team Leader (TL) first in the TL's office. It was a pretty ordinary interview, though I felt that there were a lot of questions asked. The TL introduced himself first. We then discussed my availability, then the TL gave me information about the position Target was offering me. I was being offered to work in Softlines (clothes) where I would be picking up and folding clothes and restocking areas when necessary. The TL told me what was expected and asked whether I was interested in this position. I was actually reluctant at first because I can't fold clothes quickly, but I answered that I was willing to do anything because I just needed a job. The TL then asked if there was a particular person under which I was willing to be trained, whether the person be male or female. We then followed with the usual "Tell me about yourself", "What would you be able to bring to the job", and "Why Target?" questions. I was also asked whether I can work under pressure and if I would be able to get through training quickly. After the interview, the TL told me to wait in the waiting room again for my second interview with one of the Executive Team Leaders (ETL). At this point, I did not know how many other interviews I was going to have because HR did not make that clear to begin with, though I could have asked.

My next interview with the ETL in another office started out almost the same way as my first, in which we introduced ourselves and I answered pretty much the same questions asked in my first interview. At this point it felt very redundant since my responses were being taken down in the same paper packet. But it is probable that it was good if a second set of eyes and ears grasped a sense of who I am and what I am bringing with me to the job. However, a differentiating aspect of this interview was that I had to answer hypothetical scenario questions, "What would you do if..." After seeing Glassdoor's reviews of the Target interview process, as well as through shopping with my mother, I already had an idea of how to respond to those questions. We proceeded with whether there were other areas in Target in which I was interested in working besides in softlines. Perhaps based on my response, we then closed the interview with the ETL saying I would have to come back another day during the week for a third interview with another ETL from another department who was not even in work at that day. This day would be scheduled through phone; they would call me back.

I came in for the second day of my interview process and waited again at the TSC around 15 minutes earlier than my scheduled time. However, I was surprised this time that HR called me in earlier than my scheduled time when they already saw me waiting. This time, I had my interview in a conference room, and the ETL asked the same preliminary questions about myself. The ETL then asked if I had seen "the video" about working at Target. I didn't, so the ETL attempted to put it on the TV that was in the room, but the ETL did not have the CD, so instead the ETL briefed me on what the video was about. The ETL asked if I was interested in working in Guest Services, to which I said yes, but the ETL seemed on the fence about how I was responding to the hypothetical scenario questions that followed. ETL really wanted me to work at Target, but the only thing that was challenging was figuring out where I would be put. We then took a "field trip" around the store over to a couple of the grocery aisles where I was asked what I would do to make the aisles look better (and then show the ETL right there). Believe me that I had no experience actually doing this in a store, but I had my own ideas of how store aesthetics should be maintained, so when I did my thing, it seemed pretty clear to the ETL that I be put in Hardlines (products other than clothes) where I will be cross-trained in Entertainment. That was a relieving for me because I really did not want to be picking up and folding clothes all day. At the moment, and even looking back, I felt that this "field trip" with the ETL was a very good idea because, while we were still in the interview process, I was able to demonstrate hands-on what I would do, and actually do, in a particular situation. It was not all about talk, but actual doing that was involved, which I feel more interviews should really involve. We returned to HSC and the ETL offered me a conditional job offer, and I would have to come back for drug testing.

Interview Questions
    • What previous experiences can you bring to this job? (I've never worked before, let alone in retail, so I thought this was a bit tough to give a *direct* answer)   Answer Question