Target

2.2

491 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

On the first day of the interview, I had to wait at TSC (Team Member Services Center). I arrived 10 minutes earlier than my scheduled time, but HR did not call me in until 20 minutes after my scheduled time. We did not do interviews at the TSC, but we went up to the third floor to the ETL offices. There was another potential employee waiting with me, and he went to have his interview first while I waited in a small section of the offices. Yeah, more waiting.

I interviewed a Team Leader (TL) first in the TL's office. It was a pretty ordinary interview, though I felt that there were a lot of questions asked. The TL introduced himself first. We then discussed my availability, then the TL gave me information about the position Target was offering me. I was being offered to work in Softlines (clothes) where I would be picking up and folding clothes and restocking areas when necessary. The TL told me what was expected and asked whether I was interested in this position. I was actually reluctant at first because I can't fold clothes quickly, but I answered that I was willing to do anything because I just needed a job. The TL then asked if there was a particular person under which I was willing to be trained, whether the person be male or female. We then followed with the usual "Tell me about yourself", "What would you be able to bring to the job", and "Why Target?" questions. I was also asked whether I can work under pressure and if I would be able to get through training quickly. After the interview, the TL told me to wait in the waiting room again for my second interview with one of the Executive Team Leaders (ETL). At this point, I did not know how many other interviews I was going to have because HR did not make that clear to begin with, though I could have asked.

My next interview with the ETL in another office started out almost the same way as my first, in which we introduced ourselves and I answered pretty much the same questions asked in my first interview. At this point it felt very redundant since my responses were being taken down in the same paper packet. But it is probable that it was good if a second set of eyes and ears grasped a sense of who I am and what I am bringing with me to the job. However, a differentiating aspect of this interview was that I had to answer hypothetical scenario questions, "What would you do if..." After seeing Glassdoor's reviews of the Target interview process, as well as through shopping with my mother, I already had an idea of how to respond to those questions. We proceeded with whether there were other areas in Target in which I was interested in working besides in softlines. Perhaps based on my response, we then closed the interview with the ETL saying I would have to come back another day during the week for a third interview with another ETL from another department who was not even in work at that day. This day would be scheduled through phone; they would call me back.

I came in for the second day of my interview process and waited again at the TSC around 15 minutes earlier than my scheduled time. However, I was surprised this time that HR called me in earlier than my scheduled time when they already saw me waiting. This time, I had my interview in a conference room, and the ETL asked the same preliminary questions about myself. The ETL then asked if I had seen "the video" about working at Target. I didn't, so the ETL attempted to put it on the TV that was in the room, but the ETL did not have the CD, so instead the ETL briefed me on what the video was about. The ETL asked if I was interested in working in Guest Services, to which I said yes, but the ETL seemed on the fence about how I was responding to the hypothetical scenario questions that followed. ETL really wanted me to work at Target, but the only thing that was challenging was figuring out where I would be put. We then took a "field trip" around the store over to a couple of the grocery aisles where I was asked what I would do to make the aisles look better (and then show the ETL right there). Believe me that I had no experience actually doing this in a store, but I had my own ideas of how store aesthetics should be maintained, so when I did my thing, it seemed pretty clear to the ETL that I be put in Hardlines (products other than clothes) where I will be cross-trained in Entertainment. That was a relieving for me because I really did not want to be picking up and folding clothes all day. At the moment, and even looking back, I felt that this "field trip" with the ETL was a very good idea because, while we were still in the interview process, I was able to demonstrate hands-on what I would do, and actually do, in a particular situation. It was not all about talk, but actual doing that was involved, which I feel more interviews should really involve. We returned to HSC and the ETL offered me a conditional job offer, and I would have to come back for drug testing.

Interview Questions
  • What previous experiences can you bring to this job? (I've never worked before, let alone in retail, so I thought this was a bit tough to give a *direct* answer)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

The whole process took 4 days . They called 2 days after I applied and they just told me to come in 2 days later for an interview . Which was today , first you get interviewed with one women and they ask basic question about past jobs and the responsibilities . Pretty easy , the lady was super nice and made me feel comfortable . Then she says go back in the waiting room for the next interview. So the next women comes and asks similar questions , she was sweet also . I wasn't nervous at all. Then she says wait in the break room. 5 minutes later ANOTHER women brings me to her office and says I got the job and that orientation is next Monday .

Interview Questions
    • What if a customer asks a question and you don't know the answer?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Sales Floor Team Member' Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Long 1 hr Questionnaire online or in store at a kiosk
    Gave me a call with a time to come in for interview
    Interview with one person (hr)
    Orientation video about kinds of things you would do
    then another interview if you are still interested (store manager)

Interview Questions
    • what would you do if a customer disputed the price of an item, in this case 17 instead of 19   View Answer

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

I applied instore and entered information about myself: previous work experience, references, any education, where I live, that kind of personal stuff. Then they ask you a series of situational questions, all in the format of "how would you handle this?" essentially, and then ask you to take a personality test, like "are you more of a leader or a follower?" After that you finish and wait for them to get back to you and the application is done.

Target is about effectively communicating and working as a team. They use words like "confront" to figure out who is right for their store, so someone who is confrontational and easily emotional is likely to disturb others and make a scene, this is a person they do not want. Some of the questions are tricky but in general choose the answers that involve communicating with your bosses if theres a problem.

The personality test asked questions about your leadership, are you more of a follower or a leader, how happy are you with your life, would you prefer to be with a group of friends or alone? Target is a sociable place so even if you're still a little reserved but respectful of others you could still get the job by basically making yourself seem more sociable than you really are.

So I finished all this, which only took about 20-30 min, and left the store. A few days later I got a call from HRI was asked if my availability was the same, did I want the same position, how many hours I'm looking, and then once I confirmed all the same stuff I put on my resume, she asked me to come in for an interview and we setup a time in the morning a few days later, and said before the interview I needed to go back into the store and complete another situational test, which took me about 5 minutes to complete. It asked me very similar questions about handling certain situations.

I went in dressed nicely, wore tan jeans with a button up shirt tucked in and a belt obviously. I spoke clearly, smiled, looked in her eyes. She talked to me briefly and said this first team lead would be interviewing me. I went into an office with him where he asked about my availability to make sure it was the same, then asked me about previous work experience and where I went to college. He asked me situational questions like "where do you see yourself working in the store?" "tell me about a time you had to work with a team?" or "when did you go above and beyond to help a customer?" and "why do you want to work for Target?" as well as "what are some of your strengths and weaknesses?" also "what would your bosses say about you?" and "do you have any previous work experience in this area, if so tell me some of your duties?" I answered honestly, looked him in the eyes and smiled frequently, apparently I did well because he asked me to sit down in this other area cause he wanted me to do a second interview right after.

I waited in the area and this manager came over and lead me to another office where he asked me the same questions. I was honest with him, this time he asked me "what do you like to do for fun?" and a question like "an item rings up for $20 and the customer says it was $15 on the sign, what would you do?" I told him to trust the customer because we ought to value them. This was the right answer. He told me he liked my honesty and even though I had been let go from a previous job due to things partially outside of my control, he liked the fact that I was up front and honest and had a sense of direction as well as learned from past mistakes (college student, like working with people, friendly, etc).

After this he said he recommended me to work for them and offered me the job. I shook his hand, smiled and of course thanked him for his time. The HR woman talked to me about my schedule and made me sign a document saying I am available within this time for the next 90 days, and we discussed pay where the most I could get starting is $8.00 due to being part time (until I work there and earn a promotion obviously), then she gave me information about my urine test and told me I had until the next morning to take it. I took it at a target minute clinic where I was given a cup to urinate in the privacy of a bathroom. They then checked the temperature and sealed it so it could be shipped to a lab for analysis. A week later HR called me and told me I am cleared for the job and asked if I could come in for orientation the same week. Of course I said yes and am starting my new job.

Overall if you're a hard worker, have some previous work experience with people (retail helps a lot, or even any job where customers are involved), are sociable enough to talk to people and can help them find what they need you should do fine. They are looking for friendly people who can work well with others and have a positive outlook on life, energetic is good. If you have these traits and some minimal experience you should have no trouble getting the job, just be honest and yourself.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself working in the store?

Why do you want to work for target?

An item rings up $20 but the customer says a sign said $15, what would you do?

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

Very chill interview but they make you wait forever and have to run around to find people to interview everyone at the same time. Everything on this site is true. Dress nice. You will interview with a team leader. Then if they like you, you get another interview with a different supervisor. I will post the questions from both interviews word for word. Then drug test within 24 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Name when you made a mistake and how you fixed it. Name when you had to do multiple things in a short limited time. Name when you had to work on or as a team. A customer can't find the shoe size they need so what do you do? An item rings up as a higher price than what the customer says it was. What do you do?   Answer Question
    None. Minimum wage.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

It was easy, applied online and a couple of days later received a phone call for a phone interview. The questions were all basic about yourself and past experiences. She scheduled an in store interview after she finished interviewing me for a one-on-one with an HR member. He was impressed with the way i handled my interview and offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult really, just basic personal and situational questions   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delray Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delray Beach, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

Filled out the online application at the Target kiosk. A days later I recieved a phone call scheduling a phone interview. Had my initial phone interview and second interview on the same day. Hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Target?   Answer Question
    • If you were ringing up a customer and a product rung up at $19 and the customer stated or was cheaper what would you do?   View Answer
    The starting salary was $9 an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Worth, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Worth, FL

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

I put in a job application in the morning and five or six hours later i was contacted to set up a phone interview for the next day i did the phone interview they asked a series of question like if i was to call a previous employer what would they say is your strongest thing about you and what is your weakest thing about you she ask more but i cant remember next she ask if i can come in two days later for a face-face interview when i came to the interview i was early i had do a twenty question questionnaire then watch a two minute video then waited for the manger

Interview Questions
    • If was to call a previous supervisor what would they say is the strongest thing about you and what is the weakest thing about you   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

I was called for an interview about a week after filling out the online application for a seasonal sales floor job. The interview was scheduled for the next day. I arrived about 15 minutes early because I was told on the phone that I would have to fill out an online questionaire before my actual interview. The questionaire took about 10 minutes to fill out. After waiting for 15 minutes, a team leader led me back for the interview. She was pretty rude and it was obvious that she hadn't looked at my application at all. She wasn't pleased that I didn't have an retail experience and dismissed me after the first round of questions. There weren't any really difficult questions, but the interviewer didn't seem interested in what I had to say from the very beginning.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

I received a phone call over a month after I applied for a seasonal position, which was compromised of a few short questions, mainly to insure that I was still interested, what I wanted my pay rate to be, and my availability.
    I received another phone call, which was an interview, and I was asked a few long questions, all of which were typical.
    I received a call a week later to ask me to come to an interview the next week.
    This interview was a bit tougher, and I was not sure how I did, until I received a call and email a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you made a mistake, and how you corrected it.   Answer Question