Target

Updated Nov 20, 2014

3.2

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Team LEader Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in November 2014.

I applied online for the seasonal position opening and got a call back to schedule an interview for the following day. For the team member position, you dial in for Target's WOTC and then you watch a short video on Target.
The first interview is with a Team Leader. The questions that I remember were: Tell me about yourself b) why do you want to work for target c)Tell me about a time you went above and beyond expectations of employer.

The second interview was with the ETL.
b) why do you want to work for target
c)*****Tell me about a time you finished a project and then realized afterwards you made a mistake (I was asked this question 3x -by the ETL, STL, and 2nd STL from another store)
d)Tell me about a time where you went above and beyond to exceed customer service.
e) A customer wants to buy a shoe but the item is out of stock. What do you do? How would you feel. ANSWER: Provide another alternative shoe to provide the customer so they won't leave unhappy.
 f) Pretend you are a cashier, you scan an item that rings $19.99 but the guest is certain the item is $17.99. What do you do? (***Question was asked 2x -by the ETL & 2nd STL). ANSWER: Trust the guest and make the price change as long as the price change is reasonable. Never argue with the guest. If you don't provide the price change then the guest will take the $17.99 to a competitor.

The ETL recommended me to the STL and I met with the STL for an interview. I didn't really know what position I was applying for until I received an offer. I think that uncertainty pretty much kept me on my heels. I wasn't really prepared for the seasonal interview but after that I geared up. The STL basically asked me the same questions but in a different way.
b) why do you want to work for target
c) Time you demonstrated leadership by seeking additional customer information
d) Time you made a mistake

The 2nd STL interview questions:
b) why do you want to work for target
c) Time where you didn't agree with a company policy
d) Time you provided exceptional customer service
e) Pretend you are a cashier, you scan an item that rings $19.99 but the guest is certain the item is $17.99. What do you do? (***Question was asked 2x -by the ETL & 2nd STL). ANSWER: Trust the guest and make the price change as long as the price change is reasonable. Never argue with the guest. If you don't provide the price change then the guest will take the $17.99 to a competitor.

The DTL was the most intense one but can't really remember any questions.
b) why do you want to work for target
c) time where you had to confront someone who wasn't doing their job? What actions did you take?
d) time you demonstrated leadership

**The most important thing to remember is to be honest and to use past experiences (STAR method). It really helps to be yourself (I'm a naturally upbeat, motivated individual). Remember: FAST, FUN & FRIENDLY. Note: I've never worked in retail before and don't have too much experience. I'm a college student and I just used my experiences in organizations and course projects to answer the interview questions.

Also, I did ask the 1st & 2nd STL, DTL questions:
What do you like most about working for Target?
What's the company culture like?
Describe a typical day for a Team Leader.
How did you jump-start your career at Target?
What school did you graduate from?
What type of people are successful here?

I didn't negotiate. The offer was a generous $16.75 with no experience and I accepted.

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Senior Team LEader Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Target.

There are 6-10 behavioral questions all structured like "Tell me about a time when...." so you better prepare about 10 examples of times that you lead a team, made a mistake, held someone accountable, had difficult conversations, handled conflict, made then executed a plan, etc.

Interview Questions
    • They were all behavioral based questions, none particularly harder than others.   Answer Question

Senior Team LEader Interview

Be prepared to answer Situation, Behavior and Outcome questions in your interview. They'll be looked for the scope of your projects/work experiences and the actions that you took to ensure a favorable outcome. Don't be afraid to talk about what you learned in the process of your project work or work experiences. They'll appreciate your honesty. Be ready to talk about your strengths and opportunities (weaknesses) in a positive manner that shows how you're improving and getting better.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about you." "Why do you want this job."   View Answer

Senior Team LEader Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

Initial interview by HR TM as screening followed by interview with a team lead then executive or store manager.
    Questions are Situational, Behavior, Outcome.

Currently, they are looking for candidates that focus on customer values and driving for results. The theme of "make it right" or in Target lingo, the Vibe, is a key point in screening.

Interview Questions
    • You are cashiering and a guest informs you that an item has rung up $3 higher than expected, what do you do?   View Answer
    Unable to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowling Green, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowling Green, KY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

3 interviews with 3 different managers

Interview Questions
    Offered 15 I requested 16. They said yes. Seen other people in my role make 20. Make them pay you what youre worth because they will work you very hard and expect alot.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in August 2013.

I originally started interviewing for the ETL postion. I had 3 phone interviews and 1 interview with the DTL. After I interviewed with the DTL the store team leader and the HR ETL called me back in for my last interview. They felt as if I was not quite ready for the ETL position, but they did offer me the SR Team Lead Postion

Interview Questions
    • ALOT of STAR Questions... Tell me about a time when you...   Answer Question
    I wanted a salary, but they gave me the hourly amount of what the salary would have been. happy with offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

Interview with store executives and store manager. Approval gets you interview with District leader. Interviews consist of situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle timelines that you know you won't meet?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Offer that you could take or decline.

Senior Team LEader Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Target in January 2013.

Very long hiring process. I had a total of five interviews. On my first day I interviewed with a Dept. Team Leader, then the Executive Team Leader of HR and finally the Store Team Leader (Manager). All went very well so the STL set up two more interviews with a District Manager and a District HR Manager. These were both phone interviews and were very quick and painless. Honestly the last two were more formalities than anything else.

After you get approval from all your interviewers you will need to consent to a drug test and a background check. They search for felonies and misdemeanors and are very strict regarding any negative background whatsoever.

All in all this was about a month long process.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, all questions were standard situational questions and anyone who has interviewed before will be able to handle whatever questions they throw out. Just be sure to focus on RESULTS. Be specific about what YOU did to get those results.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Offer was take it or leave it...but for the position it was fair and I don't imagine most people would turn it down if they did in salary research at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Target in December 2012.

The interview process was a little difficult because I had to go through three interviews for the position, but each time they asked the same types of behavioral questions. As long as you have stories about different times that you accomplished things you will be fine.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you developed a business relationship with a friend or coworker.   Answer Question

Senior Team LEader Interview

interviewed at Target in April 2011.

The position was posted online as well as on the Team Member Communication Board. Once you apply, you go through a series of 5 interviews typically. There are 3 Executive Team Leader interviews, one Store Team Leader interview and one District Team Leader interview.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question would be to put all of your Executive Team Leaders in order from best to worst.   Answer Question