Target Starbucks Barista Interview Questions

Updated Oct 27, 2014
Updated Oct 27, 2014

2.5

Starbucks Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

I had three interviews in the morning, they were very short interviews, but very long wait-time in between them; which is to be expected on a busy morning. All employees greeted me with a smile and a handshake as they introduced themselves. The first few asked situation-based questions, the last one hired me.

Interview Questions
  • Probably what the best impact I've had on someone else's life.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Starbucks Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in September 2013.

I voiced that I wanted to be a Starbucks barista while working in softlines. and they approved to have a chance to interview for an open position. Since I had already gone through the initial interview of being hired for Target, my team lead basically sat me down and asked real questions instead of the impersonal ones they have on their grid. It was a great experience. He pinned down why I wanted to work with coffee, if I was ready for a high stress job, and was motivated and self sufficient. The initial Target interview was pretty easy. They asked almost all behavioral questions, which are pretty standard for retail. Some example questions were "Describe a time you dealt with a difficult customer" "what are some of your strengths and weaknesses" "you have three different customers that come in at the same time and you're by yourself. One customer is looking impatient wanting to try clothes on, one is meandering through the store, and one appears to be looking for something in particular, but can't find it. What do you do?" Always make sure that you describe the problem, what you did, and the outcome.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you want to be in five years? Do you see yourself still at Target?   View Answer
    No negotiation, starting for baristas is higher than a sales associate by $0.50

Starbucks Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Target in July 2013.

Applied online, received a phone call 1.5 months later to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was 3 days later. Before the interview, I had to call a phone number and answer automated yes or no questions about my ability to work. The interview went well, and they informed me that they were not looking for anyone to fill the position for at least a month. The interviewer said that "so and so" would be contacting me with their availability to schedule an in-person interview. No one has contacted me since then.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in March 2013.

Two interviews, the first by telephone & the second face to face with Executive Team Lead. The questions were pretty much the same on both. I thought the way the questions were read to me (instead of through normal conversation) was off-putting. It seemed cold & that they really weren't trying to get to know who I was. The phone interview was about 30 minutes & the face to face one was about 11/2 hours. After the face to face interview was finished, the ETL (Exec. Team Lead) went to consult with HR, then returned 10 min. later to tell me I would be called in about 7-10 days with an answer. 5 days later, I received an email that I was not selected.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in a past job that you dealt with a difficult problem and made the company look good?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

interviewed at Target in October 2012.

Had two interviews, one with the starbucks team leader and then with the HR. After the starbucks team leader asked the questions, she was rating my answers, etc. The HR came after and hired me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flowery Branch, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flowery Branch, GA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Target in September 2012.

I arrived 10 minutes early, I walked over to the Guest (Customer) Service Center, and was sent to the Starbucks.
    The store manager greeted me and gave me a "Retail" test. It was 20 questions asking what is the best decision and worst for each. Afterward I was interviewed by the Team Leader at the Starbucks. Next I was interviewed by the Floor Manager, they were both really sweet, especially the Floor manger.
    The store manager told me the pay--a little more than minimum wage (it's 7.25 in Ga)--and asked me if I wanted the position, I accepted, of course, but my orientation doesn't start for TWO weeks!
    At the orientation I have to be trained for cashier as well, since I am technically an employee or Target and not Starbucks. The uniform is red polo/collared shirts (or black for Starbucks) and khaki pants, and black shoes.

Interview Questions
    • What are your weaknesses?   View Answer
    • How did you and a friend/partner/co-worker work together to complete a task?   Answer Question
    • When was a time that you made a mistake, and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • What was a situation where you had to do a lot of things at once?   Answer Question
    There really wasn't one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrence, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrence, KS

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Target in August 2012.

2 interview phases, both sitting down with 1 interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • When did you experience a situation go in a direction different than you had expected? How did you learn or move on from it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Target in July 2012.

The interview process is straight forward. I applied online and received a phone call two days later to come for an in person interview. I completed an online assessment and another one on the day of the interview. All questions are personality/situational based. The in person interview took about an hour. I was first interviewed by a manager and then again by a lead. The ask questions based on your background and the information you provided in your application. There are a lot of "tell me about a time" questions. Most relate to experiences working with a team or completing a task. The interview is very straight forward, but you definitely get the sense they are looking for a specific personality. I was hired on the spot, despite initially being told that they would not be extending any offers that same day. I think my interview just went very, very well.

Interview Questions
    • None. Compared to my background, this interview was very straight forward. Be friendly, polite, outgoing and smile.   View Answer
    None. Pay for this position is $8.85.

Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Target in June 2012.

I had to be interviewed by 2 people. One sales team leader and then by a manager. Pretty straightforward why did I want to work there, what is my availability and experiences. Each interview they asked my 4 situational questions. They will hire the you the same day if they like you

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clackamas, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clackamas, OR

I applied online – interviewed at Target in July 2011.

They ask a lot of behavorial questions. Always answer with, the situation, what you did, and the outcome (what you learned, how the guest felt about the company after).

You will have at least two interviews, one with the department manager, and then one with Hr. Usually. Some times there are phone interviews too.

Interview Questions
    • I think my hardest to answer question is about leading a team, because I don't have experience. You will get further to really think about times you have taken charge, how you conveyed to others how things need to be done, how they responded and if they followed you, etc. And then the result of your having taken charge.   Answer Question
    it was, "When can you start? I know that you have another job, but is there any way we can work around your current schedule."

There was no negotiating pay.