Target

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Store Manager Interview

Position required one interview. The interviewer was pleasant and laid back but the questions were not easy. A lot of situational questions were required of me. Most the questions started with a phrase like "tell me a bout a time when" or "if given this situation, how would you respond"? Make sure to know why you want to work for the company because that will be a question.

Interview Questions
  • What makes you a better applicant than the thousands of others who want to work for target   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Store Manager Interview

Interview Questions
    • The typical work day to me, is enjoying what I am doing, while working with my fellow workers. I hope to learn new things ever day, and pass my knowledge to the public. I always try to listen to and follow directions given to me by my superiors.I try always to get along with my co-workers,and work as a team. The hardest part of any new job is,just t   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

After on-campus recruiting, hiring process involved an on-line test and an in-person series of interviews, focused around a scripted and structured behavioral interview.

The online exam included two overall series of questions: one quantitatively assessing past experiences (e.g., how many formal leadership positions have you held) and another testing mathematical competency. The behavioral interview, meanwhile, was standard.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing particularly surprising or difficult about the interview process. The intense structure to the behavioral interview came off as slightly surprising, however, but it mostly added instead a sense of disconnection with candidates; I did not enjoy the interview, and I could tell I was simply being screened rather than conversed with.

Preparation for behavioral components will be to a candidate's advantage for the interview. Definitely review your answers to basic interview questions, and prepare by researching the company in-depth. Still, expect extreme structure to your interview and do not look forward to an ongoing discussion with your potential employer.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Target in November 2013.

After initial review of resume in a 1 vs 1 interview, conducted a 45 minute phone interview. After interview was asked to visit local store and learn about the front and back side operations. During the visit, was escorted by the Store Manager and afforded the opportunity to ask any questions I had. It proved to be a very valuable way to both see and learn the good, bad, and ugly aspects of the job. After the visit I then had another interview with the HR representative and we talked through a proposed way ahead - training time (4 months) and then the taking over of a store.

Interview Questions
    • Given I've never worked in retail before, the HR representative was curious what concerns I had and how I was going to overcome them.   View Answer
    • What are your two greatest leadership strengths and then one area to improve.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Target use the S.T.A.R.S. Interview technique

Interview Questions
    • The recruiters were so focused on the technique that I was evaluated on my ability to pass the technique - NOT my actual abilities.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Target.

The interview process is in depth and tedious. You go through 3 levels of interviews. First potentially a phone screening. The next 2-3 are usually face to face interviews around situational/behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are that are most difficult revolve around demonstrating courage, especially around senior management.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Typical SBOC interview model.. Answer questions with specific situations. Bonus points if you can provide what your learnings were and how you were able to apply these in the future. Make sure you are comfortable with what your strengths and opportunities are and how you leverage these to drive results and/or positive impact team culture

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the most difficult feedback you have received from a senior manager. As simple as this question is, many people often trip over it.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Target in November 2012.

I was promoted from within
    1. Get your boss buy-in and his/her peers
    2. Let your voice be heard
    3. Take notes throughout your career
    4. Situational questions
    5. Situation, behavior, outcome
    6. The more recent leadership examples the better

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrenceville, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrenceville, GA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Target in January 2012.

The phone interview went well and the person I spoke with seemed happy and excited about working for the company. However, my one on one interviewer was very dull and boring. He didn't seem like he enjoyed working there. It made me feel like I was BOTHERING him by showing up to the interview. Made me not want to work for Target, if it was only 10 AM and this person was already THAT unhappy doing his job!

Store Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in January 2011.

They asked very basic questions like: What is your best strength? The interviewer I had apparently had some traffic problems and seemed annoyed throughout the whole interview. There were two people, one asking questions and the other taking notes. Overall, I felt it was a pretty easy interview with no unexpected questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were rejected from something? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

I did not want to work for Target. I was just using this interview as practice.