Target

Getting the Interview

14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Antonio, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Target in November 2013.

Interview Details – After initial review of resume in a 1 vs 1 interview, conducted a 45 minute phone interview. After interview was asked to visit local store and learn about the front and back side operations. During the visit, was escorted by the Store Manager and afforded the opportunity to ask any questions I had. It proved to be a very valuable way to both see and learn the good, bad, and ugly aspects of the job. After the visit I then had another interview with the HR representative and we talked through a proposed way ahead - training time (4 months) and then the taking over of a store.

Interview Questions

• Given I've never worked in retail before, the HR representative was curious what concerns I had and how I was going to overcome them.   View Answer
  • What are your two greatest leadership strengths and then one area to improve.   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in January 2011.

Interview Details – They asked very basic questions like: What is your best strength? The interviewer I had apparently had some traffic problems and seemed annoyed throughout the whole interview. There were two people, one asking questions and the other taking notes. Overall, I felt it was a pretty easy interview with no unexpected questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you were rejected from something? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I did not want to work for Target. I was just using this interview as practice.

Very Easy Interview

Towson, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Target use the S.T.A.R.S. Interview technique

Interview Question – The recruiters were so focused on the technique that I was evaluated on my ability to pass the technique - NOT my actual abilities.   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – The interview process is in depth and tedious. You go through 3 levels of interviews. First potentially a phone screening. The next 2-3 are usually face to face interviews around situational/behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Questions are that are most difficult revolve around demonstrating courage, especially around senior management.   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Target in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was with a big group for an interview. I interviewed with two people and then they told me to hang around in the main room longer. At this point a handful of the people that were in the room with me originally, left. I figured out that they were making cuts as they were moving through interviews. I interviewed with two more people, made that cut and the interviewed with two more people and made that cut. At this point there were only a handful of us left. I then went into an interview with a higher up man. This was a one-on-one interview. At the end of the interview he asked if I would be interested in checking out one of their stores. I said sure...even though I had worked at a Target. They invited me to a store at a later date. I arrived, they showed me around, had me meet with a few of the managers. Told me the pay, (45,000) and then had me walk around the store with them. They would start fixing the shelves as we moved through the store. Looking back, I think I was supposed to help out with this. It was a really weird process overall. They ended up never calling me or emailing me with any follow-up.

Interview Question – All situational questions. I cant remember a specfic one.   View Answer

Interviewed at Target

Interview Details – Typical SBOC interview model.. Answer questions with specific situations. Bonus points if you can provide what your learnings were and how you were able to apply these in the future. Make sure you are comfortable with what your strengths and opportunities are and how you leverage these to drive results and/or positive impact team culture

Interview Question – Tell me the most difficult feedback you have received from a senior manager. As simple as this question is, many people often trip over it.   View Answer

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Target in May 2008.

Interview Details – All situational based questions. Could take up to a month for the entire process. Multiple management levels of interviews.

Interview Question – A lot of questions asking you to be critical of yourself and previous work history.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Better than I expected so negotiation was quick and painless

Very Easy Interview

Lawrenceville, GA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Target in January 2012.

Interview Details – The phone interview went well and the person I spoke with seemed happy and excited about working for the company. However, my one on one interviewer was very dull and boring. He didn't seem like he enjoyed working there. It made me feel like I was BOTHERING him by showing up to the interview. Made me not want to work for Target, if it was only 10 AM and this person was already THAT unhappy doing his job!

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were wrong?   View Answers (2)

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Target in October 2009.

Interview Details – Talked initial with a recruiter, then another recruiter (an executive recruiter), then did a couple hours of a 'job shadow'/interview with store manager. After that interviewed with a district manager. Once I passed that I interviewed with the group director and group hr (group interview). After that I had an interview with the senior vice pres and upper hr before I was made an offer. Used behavioral interviewing process - tell me about a time when you did x.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Some room for negotiation - not a lot

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Target in December 2009.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of two rounds of behavioral questions, with each question taking about 3-5 minutes to answer. Preparing STARs for this interview was incredibly helpful.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – They wanted a full-time staff member, while I was searching for an internship.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Target

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Target employees and interview candidates.