Target Store Team Leader Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.3

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Target.

Interview

The hiring process can be quite lengthy with multiple interviews with various leaders. Behavior based interview questions are typically used. Mainly focused on driving results, motivating teams, performance management, team development, strategic thinking, and managing execution. Relocation is a must for higher level positions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Target.

Interview

After applying online, received an email from HR Talent Acquisition. 1st phone interview to get to know my background and experience. 2nd phone interview was Behavioral style questions. I was told my info was being forwarded to a District Team Leader next. 2 weeks later, I received a "other candidates are being considered" email. There was no immediate need for STLs in my region. I also took the online personality test. Entire process was fairly straight forward with lots of waiting.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision with high level consequences.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Target (Burbank, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I did two phone interviews with a Target recruiter. I applied originally for the Executive Team Leader Position, but was recommended to apply for a Store Team Leader position instead to then get promoted to the Executive Team Leader position. I got a call from the Target in Burbank, CA to come in for an interview. Overall, the interview process was unprofessional. When I answered questions, the HR rep just said things like 'great' and rolled her eyes. Also, the interview kept getting interrupted by people who kept dropping in to say hi. Shannon didn't tell them to leave or anything she just kept waving back and talking to them until they realized we were in an interview. After the interview I got a call from the HR rep (On Wed) to come in on Monday at 9am. The next day (Thurs) I got a call from my doctor asking me to come in on Monday at 10am. Due to distance and due to urgency of my appointment, I called to reschedule my appointment. I called the Burbank Target and asked the operator to forward me to the Human Resources department. The operator (probably 16 years old?) was very unprofessional and had no idea how to speak. I told her I need to reach the HR department to reschedule an interview. She asked what position I was applying for (Store Team Leader) and said there's no such thing as a TL. She kept asking me irrelevant questions and asking why I scheduled my appointment with Target if I knew I couldn't make it. I explained that my Doctor called me because he wanted to see me (personal issue I don't want to state why). He literally called me the next day and I called to reschedule. I called four days ahead of my interview appointment (not last minute). All I was told was to call back in 2 weeks to reschedule and she hung up on me. I figured I won't call back, because if this is how they treat prospective employees, I wonder how they treat current employees. Ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• How many people have you led? Tell me about a time you had a genuine experience in a customer service interaction.   Answer Question

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Target.

Interview

3rd interview. Expected answers to be only 2-3 minutes. 1st interview I have had where you felt that much pressure to keep it short and sweet. Because you are so focused on speed, you may fail to hit on key facts.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a relationship you developed outside of your store that helped you develop.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made a mistake.   Answer Question

Had another offer

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Target.

Interview

Fairly lengthy considering it was an internal interview. I had 2 group interviews, one which consisted of 2 district team leaders then another with the group director and group level HR. I had a final interview with the regional VP and regional HR.

Interview Questions

• Tell me one thing you did better than your boss?   1 Answer

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Target.

Interview

This position is typically only hired within. Executive Team Leaders are the position before. All interviews consist of about four before being accepted in to the position. These interviews are about four situational questions that you judge your leadership abilities in areas like communication, courage, strategy and relating to others.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Target in June 2014.

Interview

Recruiter interview - to see if I was a viable candidate. Very open about the long process (4-6 weeks). Online assessment - real world cases and "what would you do" type questions. In-person interview with the DM. Next steps - video interview with Regional then VP or higher. The recruiter had posted for a position that the DM did not know about. Shortly after the interview the posting was taken down for the area. I was pleased with the opportunity for an interview even though there were no openings in the area. Very professional.

Interview Questions

• Why Target?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you provided exceptional customer service.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work/collaborate with another department/business unit to achieve results.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to quickly adapt to a situation that you did not have all the information.   Answer Question
    • How have you developed an environment that upholds the highest standards in ethics and compliance.   Answer Question
    • Why are you leaving your current job?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you accepted responsibility for a poor outcome or decision.   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time you built a relationship with someone outside of your operating location.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project you lead your team through.   Answer Question
    • What is your biggest opportunity?   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest strength?   Answer Question

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Target in June 2014.

Interview

HR rep was very friendly during the interview process. Initial interview with STL went well and I was recommended to the DTL for the next step. DTL interview was short via teleconference.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. All scenario based, "Tell me a time when..." I guess I just was not a fit for them.   Answer Question

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Target.

Interview

Target has one of the best models for hiring. Everything is behavioral based and I left the interviews not even caring if I received a job offer, I was very impressed with the process

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time I had to provide feedback to my boss   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated my starting salary

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Target.

Interview

You will be contact by a recruiter and asked a series of questions. If you pass the initial phone interview you will be sent to interview with one - two current store team leaders in the market you are applying for. Once passing these one or two store team leaders you will interview with the District Team Leader (your new potential supervisor). If you pass this interview you will interview with the Group Director. This will be your last interview.

Interview Questions

• All questions are behavioral based - most difficult questions will happen if you are not aware of yourself. Be able to talk about what you are not good at. It's ok, everyone has opportunities - Target just wants to see that you are aware of them and know how to neutralize them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No, but I was starting out my career here - you can negotiate but will have a better chance based on how strong your interview was and how big the need is.