Target Store Team Leader Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2014

3.3

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Store Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Target in June 2014.

Recruiter interview - to see if I was a viable candidate. Very open about the long process (4-6 weeks).
Online assessment - real world cases and "what would you do" type questions.
In-person interview with the DM.
Next steps - video interview with Regional then VP or higher.

The recruiter had posted for a position that the DM did not know about. Shortly after the interview the posting was taken down for the area. I was pleased with the opportunity for an interview even though there were no openings in the area. Very professional.

Interview Questions
  • Why Target?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you provided exceptional customer service.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you had to work/collaborate with another department/business unit to achieve results.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you had to quickly adapt to a situation that you did not have all the information.   Answer Question
  • How have you developed an environment that upholds the highest standards in ethics and compliance.   Answer Question
  • Why are you leaving your current job?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you accepted responsibility for a poor outcome or decision.   Answer Question
  • tell me about a time you built a relationship with someone outside of your operating location.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a project you lead your team through.   Answer Question
  • What is your biggest opportunity?   Answer Question
  • What is your greatest strength?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Store Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Target in June 2014.

HR rep was very friendly during the interview process. Initial interview with STL went well and I was recommended to the DTL for the next step. DTL interview was short via teleconference.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. All scenario based, "Tell me a time when..." I guess I just was not a fit for them.   Answer Question

Store Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Target.

Target has one of the best models for hiring. Everything is behavioral based and I left the interviews not even caring if I received a job offer, I was very impressed with the process

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time I had to provide feedback to my boss   Answer Question
    I negotiated my starting salary

Store Team Leader Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Target.

You will be contact by a recruiter and asked a series of questions. If you pass the initial phone interview you will be sent to interview with one - two current store team leaders in the market you are applying for. Once passing these one or two store team leaders you will interview with the District Team Leader (your new potential supervisor). If you pass this interview you will interview with the Group Director. This will be your last interview.

Interview Questions
    • All questions are behavioral based - most difficult questions will happen if you are not aware of yourself. Be able to talk about what you are not good at. It's ok, everyone has opportunities - Target just wants to see that you are aware of them and know how to neutralize them.   Answer Question
    No, but I was starting out my career here - you can negotiate but will have a better chance based on how strong your interview was and how big the need is.

Store Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Applied online, was contacted later by a senior recruiter. Phone interview, online assessment, job shadow with STL, interview with DTL, interview with Group manager and HR, Interview with Regional VP and HR. Every interview was 30 mins,

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral, all of which are listed on other reviews. They use STAR method and are looking at your behavior as much as listening to your answers. Know situations you can use as examples before going in... don't make them wait for an answer.   Answer Question
    They tell you from the beginning what the compensation package looks like. You'll have a 10k range and I would expect they offer the highest number in "Range". Depending on your situation you may have leverage to ask for more.

Store Team Leader Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at Target.

Several Rounds of Interviews with an escalating hierarchy of managers up to the Regional Vice President. Each interview round will be 4-5 set questions and then additional "off the cuff" questions. The set questions for each round will be similar "Tell me about a time..." based behavioral interview questions. Many will focus on a time when you made mistakes. Ideally the interviewers are looking to see if you can be concise with your responses while highlighting your "leadership actions". Formating answers with 1)Short intro, 2) 3-4 bullet pointed leadership/follow up actions, and 3) short conclusion with quantifiable outcomes is the best way to answer.

Be prepared to be Interviewed up to 6 different times in a variety of phone, face-to-face and video conference settings.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision without all the necessary information in a short amount of time?   Answer Question

Store Team Leader Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at Target.

Very intensive interview process. Multiple levels up need to sign off. All interviews at all levels are 'behavior based' interview questions. Sometimes video conference interviews. Sometimes in person. Sometimes 2+ interviewers at a time. Sometimes 1 on 1. The higher the person you interview with the shorter the interview will be.

Interview Questions
    • Sometimes at the end of a typical interview, the questioner will ask something random they personally are worried about you, or they personally like to ask   Answer Question

Store Team Leader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview with a series of people. First interview is usually on the phone, followed by a face to face and then another with senior leadership on the phone or video conference. Behavioral based interview, so prepare for sharing past experiences with positive results.

Interview Questions
    • What are you going to struggle with in this position? Get comfortable talking about your strengths and opportunities. Organization is OK with everyone having an opportunity, just talk through how you will mitigate to be successful.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate, fresh out of college

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Frisco, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Target.

Initial interview with District level or higher managers and HR reps. Teams of 2. Behavior model to where there is not an exact right or wrong answer, but where they can best predict how you will handle future situations. After passing this round you then interview with Regional VP and HR for final go ahead.

Interview Questions
    • There were no truly difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    Internal candidate who's salary increased over 35% and bonus increased over 400% so I did not negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in April 2013.

My interview process started with a recruiter contacting me via LinkedIn. I had a phone interview with her. I was then contacted by a local recruiter and had another phone interview. Then a leadership assessment online. A week later I was scheduled for a face to face interview with the District Team Leader.

Interview Questions

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!