Target Store Team Leader Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2015

3.3

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Target.

Interview

The hiring process can be quite lengthy with multiple interviews with various leaders. Behavior based interview questions are typically used. Mainly focused on driving results, motivating teams, performance management, team development, strategic thinking, and managing execution. Relocation is a must for higher level positions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

After applying online, received an email from HR Talent Acquisition. 1st phone interview to get to know my background and experience. 2nd phone interview was Behavioral style questions. I was told my info was being forwarded to a District Team Leader next. 2 weeks later, I received a "other candidates are being considered" email. There was no immediate need for STLs in my region. I also took the online personality test. Entire process was fairly straight forward with lots of waiting.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision with high level consequences.   Answer Question

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

3rd interview. Expected answers to be only 2-3 minutes. 1st interview I have had where you felt that much pressure to keep it short and sweet. Because you are so focused on speed, you may fail to hit on key facts.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a relationship you developed outside of your store that helped you develop.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made a mistake.   Answer Question

Had another offer

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Fairly lengthy considering it was an internal interview. I had 2 group interviews, one which consisted of 2 district team leaders then another with the group director and group level HR. I had a final interview with the regional VP and regional HR.

Interview Questions

• Tell me one thing you did better than your boss?   1 Answer

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Target.

Interview

This position is typically only hired within. Executive Team Leaders are the position before. All interviews consist of about four before being accepted in to the position. These interviews are about four situational questions that you judge your leadership abilities in areas like communication, courage, strategy and relating to others.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Target in June 2014.

Interview

Recruiter interview - to see if I was a viable candidate. Very open about the long process (4-6 weeks). Online assessment - real world cases and "what would you do" type questions. In-person interview with the DM. Next steps - video interview with Regional then VP or higher. The recruiter had posted for a position that the DM did not know about. Shortly after the interview the posting was taken down for the area. I was pleased with the opportunity for an interview even though there were no openings in the area. Very professional.

Interview Questions

• Why Target?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you provided exceptional customer service.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work/collaborate with another department/business unit to achieve results.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to quickly adapt to a situation that you did not have all the information.   Answer Question
    • How have you developed an environment that upholds the highest standards in ethics and compliance.   Answer Question
    • Why are you leaving your current job?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you accepted responsibility for a poor outcome or decision.   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time you built a relationship with someone outside of your operating location.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project you lead your team through.   Answer Question
    • What is your biggest opportunity?   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest strength?   Answer Question

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Target in June 2014.

Interview

HR rep was very friendly during the interview process. Initial interview with STL went well and I was recommended to the DTL for the next step. DTL interview was short via teleconference.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. All scenario based, "Tell me a time when..." I guess I just was not a fit for them.   Answer Question

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Target has one of the best models for hiring. Everything is behavioral based and I left the interviews not even caring if I received a job offer, I was very impressed with the process

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time I had to provide feedback to my boss   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated my starting salary

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

You will be contact by a recruiter and asked a series of questions. If you pass the initial phone interview you will be sent to interview with one - two current store team leaders in the market you are applying for. Once passing these one or two store team leaders you will interview with the District Team Leader (your new potential supervisor). If you pass this interview you will interview with the Group Director. This will be your last interview.

Interview Questions

• All questions are behavioral based - most difficult questions will happen if you are not aware of yourself. Be able to talk about what you are not good at. It's ok, everyone has opportunities - Target just wants to see that you are aware of them and know how to neutralize them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No, but I was starting out my career here - you can negotiate but will have a better chance based on how strong your interview was and how big the need is.

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted later by a senior recruiter. Phone interview, online assessment, job shadow with STL, interview with DTL, interview with Group manager and HR, Interview with Regional VP and HR. Every interview was 30 mins,

Interview Questions

• Behavioral, all of which are listed on other reviews. They use STAR method and are looking at your behavior as much as listening to your answers. Know situations you can use as examples before going in... don't make them wait for an answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They tell you from the beginning what the compensation package looks like. You'll have a 10k range and I would expect they offer the highest number in "Range". Depending on your situation you may have leverage to ask for more.