Target

2.9

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clovis, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clovis, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Target.

I applied online. About a month later I was called. I had forgotten that I had even applied. They set up an interview the next day. I interviewed with two people from HR and then the person in charge of the TPS department. I was called a couple hours later and asked to come back the next day. When I went back, another individual from HR told me that I was going to be hired. Before it is official, you have to have a drug screening and a livescan. This costs about $100 but they reimburse you. The entire process was very professional.

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Target in August 2014.

I applied online, completed a general assessment. Target employee called and stated that the store didn't have the position i had applied for but another store close did, she transferred my application and i received a call the next day to set up an interview. At the interview, before it began i had another assessment, mainly driven towards spelling and grammar. I then had a first interview with the general, why do you want to work here, and tell me a time.... passed that with flying colors. 2nd interview was with the LP Lead I would be working with, I didn't talk at all as she just told me about herself and the team. After that they sent in a rep from the HR department to actually offer the job. Pay was offered at $9.00, I negotiated $10.50 but it was like pulling teeth. after that you must do a drug screen and all the pre-employment forms

Interview Questions
    • They asked the sales question about a customer not finding the shoes they need in stock and what would I do. didn't really make sense for an AP job   Answer Question

As a TPS you are a glorified door guard, who can only assist in apprehensions and not actually initiate one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Very repetitive and a lot of the same quetions. You get a call from the HR REp they schedule you a interview and then you go in. Very nice staff and willing to expalain to you everything. Understanding the process was kind of scary because everyone was like hey how are you so.

Interview Questions
    • None youll be able to make through just answer honestly .   Answer Question
    None my first job so I let them set the pay no negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Target in March 2014.

They have a team leader from another dept interview you first. And if he or she likes you then you will interview with the Security Supervisor. Otherwise the person who interviews you will let you ask any questions and if they don't like your answers, then thats it you are done.

Interview Questions
    • Which is more important? Preventing thefts or Customer service.   View Answers (2)

Target Protection Specialist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Target.

I did a total of 3 interviews. One with the Assets Protection Executive Team Lead, one with a store team lead, and one with a HR Representative.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where you had to stand against the crowd and what you did.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target in September 2013.

I applied online at the target website and was called 3 days later. I wasn't able to answer but the HR representative left a message that I was being considered for the Target Protection Specialist position and for me to call back. I called and the lady asked if I could come in. I was surprised because she didn't give me an initial phone call interview like I assumed would happen. I came in the following Monday and used the Target computer to complete a questionnaire that you have to do before the interview so come earlier than usual. The questionnaire was very brief. About 15-30 questions of basic what-if scenarios as well as some thinking problems. Fairly easy. I made sure I had 15 minutes to do the questionnaire and gave myself an extra 15 minutes to be early for the actual interview. Too early can be a bad thing. The HR lady had me use the telephone to call an automated system and answer some general info such as does anyone in my house use government assistance, etc and give her a code that was given to me afterwards.

Afterwards I spoke with the head guy in the Asset Protection department. He asked me what I knew about the job and then explained his own description. He asked me why I wanted to be in that position, I told him I had some experience protecting a dock on a lake and enjoyed that type of work. He was fairly easy going and asked me some generic "Tell me about a time..." questions from his paperwork. Some questions included;

Tell me about a time when you worked with customers.
    Tell me about a time when you had to work as a team.
    If I spoke to your former manager, what would they tell me are your strengths and weaknesses?
    Tell me about a time when when you had to go above and beyond to please a customer.
    Tell me about a time when you had to explain a confusing situation to an angry boss. (not the exact wording, but this one was difficult for me because it wasn't generic)
    Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.

The questions followed the format of Situation and Result. I made sure the result was positive of course. He also asked me if I had applied to other positions at the Target and I had. He said that if he didn't think I was fit for this position then maybe he could find another place for me. So I suggest you apply for other positions or have other positions in mind in case they ask you. The last question he asked me was if I had any questions. I asked if there was room for improvement and he explained that there was. After those questions the interview was basically over. The guy was really nice and went to go talk to his manager about getting me a second interview. He got me the interview for 2 days later. I also had to watch a generic Target video explaining about Target's exceptional customer service practices.

I came in 2 days later on Wednesday and spoke with the higher up manager. Two women were present at this interview, the manager and an HR representative. The ladies were incredibly nice and this interview felt very comfortable. This interview was very short and only lasted about 5-10 minutes. She asked me some basic questions starting with if I watched the video. Other things she asked were;

Why do you want to work in this position?
    What would my previous employer say were my strengths and weaknesses.
    What would I do if a guest couldn't find a certain pair of shoes in a certain size?
    What would I do if a guest said that an item was supposed to be 17.99 but it rang up to 19.99

She asked me at the end of the interview if I had any questions. I said no but I probably should have asked something. There were much less questions than the first interview. Overall it was much simpler. Afterwards she told me that they were interviewing several applicants so they would call me in a few days. I was a little worried because I didn't really feel too qualified. I didn't hear anything for two days and over the weekend but I got a call early Monday morning and was offered the position. They asked me to come in and I would have 24 hours to take the drug screening test from the time that I went in. I went in and the HR lady just confirmed some info about me and gave me the paperwork for the drug screening test. Took that and the orientation was scheduled for 2 days later.

I basically had experience at only one place so I was surprised that I was offered the position. Dressing up nicely and being polite and confident definitely helped. Make sure you smile and don't say stupid negative things. I was extremely nervous but I made myself overcome that. Just make sure to be the same way.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in this position?   View Answer
    No negotiations. They offered 8.75 and I took it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Target in October 2012.

After applying online, you will receive a call from an HR team member inquiring to schedule you for an interview. You will interview first with an HR Team Member, then the ETL of you department, and finally the HR ETL. The HR ETL will give you the offer letter. This occurs over 1-2 days. For me it was all in one day. After being hired, you attend a 4 hour orientation, and spend countless hour doing computer training for about 2-4 days. You will be drug tested (urine only).

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were overly difficult. All were very basic, examples are the following:
      Give us an example of when you worked as a team to accomplish a goal,
      Give an example of when you had to complete multiple projects in a set amount of time, and how did you complete them.
      Given an example of a time when you had to deal with a stressful situation and how did you handle it.
      What do you bring to Target, and why do you think you would be an effective TPS?

Answer Question
    Non negotiable, do not expect much. It is entry level retail after all!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in September 2010.

For this position their are two or three interviews depending on where you are at. You will have an interview with the HR manager and the Assets Protection manager and depending where you might have a third interview with a district level Assets Protection manager. They have a set interview packet and the questions can be difficult.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Target in August 2010.

First you must pass the computer questionaire before even being called in for an interview. There will be an over the phone pre-screen of the applicant and then if you pass THAT, you will be contacted for an interview in-store.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of senario questions, like "(senario) can you give an example of a time when you (insert senario here) and you (whatever here)?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in June 2010.

They first contact you by phone to schedule and in person interview in which you are interview by two separate people each lasting 20-30 minutes. The interview questions are pretty basic and depending who you get they might not even follow the script and just wing it to make for a more personal interview which was in my case.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time you faced adversity. What was the situation and how did overcome it?   Answer Question