Target

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – Very repetitive and a lot of the same quetions. You get a call from the HR REp they schedule you a interview and then you go in. Very nice staff and willing to expalain to you everything. Understanding the process was kind of scary because everyone was like hey how are you so.

Interview Question – None youll be able to make through just answer honestly .   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None my first job so I let them set the pay no negotiating.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Target in October 2012.

Interview Details – After applying online, you will receive a call from an HR team member inquiring to schedule you for an interview. You will interview first with an HR Team Member, then the ETL of you department, and finally the HR ETL. The HR ETL will give you the offer letter. This occurs over 1-2 days. For me it was all in one day. After being hired, you attend a 4 hour orientation, and spend countless hour doing computer training for about 2-4 days. You will be drug tested (urine only).

Interview Question – None of the questions were overly difficult. All were very basic, examples are the following:
Give us an example of when you worked as a team to accomplish a goal,
Give an example of when you had to complete multiple projects in a set amount of time, and how did you complete them.
Given an example of a time when you had to deal with a stressful situation and how did you handle it.
What do you bring to Target, and why do you think you would be an effective TPS?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non negotiable, do not expect much. It is entry level retail after all!

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Target in March 2014.

Interview Details – They have a team leader from another dept interview you first. And if he or she likes you then you will interview with the Security Supervisor. Otherwise the person who interviews you will let you ask any questions and if they don't like your answers, then thats it you are done.

Interview Question – Which is more important? Preventing thefts or Customer service.   View Answers (2)

Ventura, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in June 2010.

Interview Details – They first contact you by phone to schedule and in person interview in which you are interview by two separate people each lasting 20-30 minutes. The interview questions are pretty basic and depending who you get they might not even follow the script and just wing it to make for a more personal interview which was in my case.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time you faced adversity. What was the situation and how did overcome it?   Answer Question

Target Protection Specialist

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details – I did a total of 3 interviews. One with the Assets Protection Executive Team Lead, one with a store team lead, and one with a HR Representative.

Interview Question – Explain a time where you had to stand against the crowd and what you did.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in September 2010.

Interview Details – For this position their are two or three interviews depending on where you are at. You will have an interview with the HR manager and the Assets Protection manager and depending where you might have a third interview with a district level Assets Protection manager. They have a set interview packet and the questions can be difficult.

Tulsa, OK

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Target in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online at the target website and was called 3 days later. I wasn't able to answer but the HR representative left a message that I was being considered for the Target Protection Specialist position and for me to call back. I called and the lady asked if I could come in. I was surprised because she didn't give me an initial phone call interview like I assumed would happen. I came in the following Monday and used the Target computer to complete a questionnaire that you have to do before the interview so come earlier than usual. The questionnaire was very brief. About 15-30 questions of basic what-if scenarios as well as some thinking problems. Fairly easy. I made sure I had 15 minutes to do the questionnaire and gave myself an extra 15 minutes to be early for the actual interview. Too early can be a bad thing. The HR lady had me use the telephone to call an automated system and answer some general info such as does anyone in my house use government assistance, etc and give her a code that was given to me afterwards.

Afterwards I spoke with the head guy in the Asset Protection department. He asked me what I knew about the job and then explained his own description. He asked me why I wanted to be in that position, I told him I had some experience protecting a dock on a lake and enjoyed that type of work. He was fairly easy going and asked me some generic "Tell me about a time..." questions from his paperwork. Some questions included;

Tell me about a time when you worked with customers.
Tell me about a time when you had to work as a team.
If I spoke to your former manager, what would they tell me are your strengths and weaknesses?
Tell me about a time when when you had to go above and beyond to please a customer.
Tell me about a time when you had to explain a confusing situation to an angry boss. (not the exact wording, but this one was difficult for me because it wasn't generic)
Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.

The questions followed the format of Situation and Result. I made sure the result was positive of course. He also asked me if I had applied to other positions at the Target and I had. He said that if he didn't think I was fit for this position then maybe he could find another place for me. So I suggest you apply for other positions or have other positions in mind in case they ask you. The last question he asked me was if I had any questions. I asked if there was room for improvement and he explained that there was. After those questions the interview was basically over. The guy was really nice and went to go talk to his manager about getting me a second interview. He got me the interview for 2 days later. I also had to watch a generic Target video explaining about Target's exceptional customer service practices.

I came in 2 days later on Wednesday and spoke with the higher up manager. Two women were present at this interview, the manager and an HR representative. The ladies were incredibly nice and this interview felt very comfortable. This interview was very short and only lasted about 5-10 minutes. She asked me some basic questions starting with if I watched the video. Other things she asked were;

Why do you want to work in this position?
What would my previous employer say were my strengths and weaknesses.
What would I do if a guest couldn't find a certain pair of shoes in a certain size?
What would I do if a guest said that an item was supposed to be 17.99 but it rang up to 19.99

She asked me at the end of the interview if I had any questions. I said no but I probably should have asked something. There were much less questions than the first interview. Overall it was much simpler. Afterwards she told me that they were interviewing several applicants so they would call me in a few days. I was a little worried because I didn't really feel too qualified. I didn't hear anything for two days and over the weekend but I got a call early Monday morning and was offered the position. They asked me to come in and I would have 24 hours to take the drug screening test from the time that I went in. I went in and the HR lady just confirmed some info about me and gave me the paperwork for the drug screening test. Took that and the orientation was scheduled for 2 days later.

I basically had experience at only one place so I was surprised that I was offered the position. Dressing up nicely and being polite and confident definitely helped. Make sure you smile and don't say stupid negative things. I was extremely nervous but I made myself overcome that. Just make sure to be the same way.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in this position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. They offered 8.75 and I took it.

Anchorage, AK

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Target in August 2010.

Interview Details – First you must pass the computer questionaire before even being called in for an interview. There will be an over the phone pre-screen of the applicant and then if you pass THAT, you will be contacted for an interview in-store.

Interview Question – A lot of senario questions, like "(senario) can you give an example of a time when you (insert senario here) and you (whatever here)?"   Answer Question

Lincoln, NE

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Target in August 2009.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by a manager first, he left and I was then interviewed by the Asset Protection Manager of the store. They asked some very generic, vague questions, such as, "Tell me about a time you helped someone," and "Was there ever a time you got into a disagreement?"

Interview Questions

Target Protection Specialist

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Target in July 2009.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted over the phone by an HR rep from the local store, and asked basic questions such as the positions I applied for and my job availability.

Two days later I met in person with the Assets Protection Leader and the Store Team Leader for one on one interviews. The AP Leader specifically asked questions about my professional experiences, my education, volunteer activities, and spent a bit of time talking about assets protection and loss prevention items. Both interviews involved around 5-6 behavioral type questions, such as asking how you handled incidents in the past such as coworker conflict, ethics, and group leadership.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had an argument with another employee, and how you resolved the issue.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you challenged a supervisor.   Answer Question

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!