Target Team Lead Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2015

3.2

Team Lead Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Target in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a call the next day. The day after that I had my first interview with the store team lead and the HR team lead at the same time. They have a worksheet of questions they ask you nothing out of the ordinary. They left for a few moments and came back telling me I had made it through the first round and made a appointment for me to meet with the district lead a few days later. Hours after I had met with the DTL I received an email from a different Targets STL to make plans for a phone interview. I had the phone interview two days later and it was the same questions as the first two interviews basically. They called me about a week later with a offer for a higher position than I applied for.

Interview Questions

• A lot of the questions were a name a time or experience type. For example explain when you had to show your leadership qualities or name a time you made a mistake.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered me much more than I expected. No negotiation needed.

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Team Lead Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Target in September 2013.

Interview

easy, just be confident and show off your leadership qualities. Target is looking for people that can work with a team and get results. Innovation is a plus, but be yourself, don't try and fit a mold, different types of leaders are needed for different roles, and at different times.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation...

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Target (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2011.

Interview

3 20 min interviews with ETL HR, ETL GE and STL. After passing those interview with District Manager. All situational questions, tell me about a time you worked as part of a team. Tell me a time you made a mistake. 3 part answers. Situation, your part in it, outcome and what you learned. Both ETL's were new to Target and no help in drawing out from you if your were stuck. STL and DM were good at explaining what they wanted in answers and asking follow-up questions. They are looking for team players who will remain calm in high stress situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you made a mistake   Answer Question
    • How would you stay in touch with your team members that worked on days you weren't in the store   Answer Question

Not enough money

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Target (Chicago, IL) in January 2011.

Interview

Just a few questions. tell me about yourself. why applying for this job. why we should hire you. what experience do you have. when can you start. what working for this company.

Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Target (Lexington, KY) in April 2010.

Interview

Receiving/Learning from Feedback, Execution, Talent Management, Driving Change, Demonstrating Courage, Maximizing Relationships, and Managing Performance. They want brief but detailed stories (what was the situation, how did you handle it, and what was the outcome) that truly demonstrate your ability in the areas mentioned.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to give bad information (criticism, disagreement, etc) to a superior.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Target (Chicago, IL) in February 2010.

Interview

I interviewed for a Flow Team Lead Position. The interview consisted of three 30 minute interviews with an HR representative, an Executive Team Leader (Assistant Store Manager) and the Store Manager. The interview questions were behavioral/situational based and focused heavily on leadership experience. Overall it was a good experience. The skills test took about 30-45 minutes and tested math skills as well as behavioral/situational skills. The test also sought answers relating to your personality and how you interact with others.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was very little negotiation but Target pays for performance. If you perform well you will be recognized for your performance.

Anonymous Employee in Plainfield, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Target (Plainfield, IN) in January 2010.

Interview

Initial communication was a phone call from a recruiter from the company. The recruiter asked a few situational interview questions during this phone call. After those questions, they scheduled a phone interview 3 days later. The phone interview lasted 30 minutes and consisted of mostly situational questions such as "Give me an example of a time you had to coach a difficult employee and what you did to bring about a change in their behavior?" There were also questions such as "What would your boss say is something you need to work on or what would your employees say you need to work on?" Overall the questions were very typical of what you would expect in the first interview with a company.

Interview Questions

• What would your current boss say is something you need to work on?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Target (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2010.

Interview

I participated in 4 interviews 2 phone one one on on and one with two people. I also had to do a 1 hour test logic/math test online. All the interview questions were behavioral based.

Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Target (Huntington Beach, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

Applied online and received a call from HR after about a week and a half. Took the online personality and skills test and then interviewed with with 2 ETLs. Both were very pleasant and professional. Both interviews consisted almost entirely of situational questions relating to previous work experiences. Definitely recommend practicing ahead of time as recalling some events, with little time to think, gets tough. I am scheduled to interview with the store manager next week., 6 days after my first interview session. So seems pretty quick so far.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you did not agree with a policy and what did you do.   Answer Question
    • What would your previous employer say one of your biggest weaknesses is?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fond du Lac, WI

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Target (Fond du Lac, WI) in July 2009.

Interview

I had three, one on one interviews with the management staff who recited "situational" questions from an interview booklet. It was obvious that they had no training on what to look for in a candidate, how to respond to a candidate, etc. I know now later after being on the interviewing side that employees are entirely picked by who they "like" best.

Interview Questions

• Name three things about your prior job experience in which you made a mistake. What was the mistake, who did it effect and how did you react to it and correct the situation   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating.