Target Team Leader Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014

3.3

129 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Target.

There were 3 interviews, I was not selected for the position. Each interview is on the phone and the first is relatively simple the seconds more thorough and the third is done by the regional manager. You have to get each interviewers' approval to be hired.

Interview Questions
  • Situational example questions of difficult conversations/situations you have experienced in your work history.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Target

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Staten Island, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staten Island, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in August 2013.

Applied online for a new store opening received a phone call about a week later inviting me to my college campus for an interview 2 weeks later. Went in, everyone was extremely friendly and helpful did a 1 on 2 interview with employees from a different store. Was asked a few questions about work experience and college education. 2 situation questions STAR format. Was hired on the spot, did a background check & drug test at the location.

Interview Questions
    No Negotiation the offer was generous one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Target.

Good and thorough.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an unhappy guest?   View Answer
    None

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Target in July 2013.

Very on demand....I said that because you may just be ready to go on one interview but it may become a series of interviews in one visit.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a difficult situation at you former employer and how it worked out.   View Answer
    Yes I was able to negotiate and got exactly what I wanted.

Team Leader Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at Target.

Typically a 2-3 interview process. First two interviews are at the store level and if you pass those you are recommended to move to the District Team Leader interview. I originally though that if you made it to this interview, it was a done deal (if the store approves you, so would the District), but this isn't the case. I've seen many candidates make it to the District level and not pass.
    The questions are situational behavioral. "Tell me about a time..." or "What would you do..." Shoot for answers that are broad in scope (their impact was large) and complexity. Communication and professionalism are also scored - so answer each question with a thoughtful response.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a mistake and what you did about it.   View Answer
    No negotiation. Team Leaders and Executives are started out at a base salary. Later on, high performance will allow you to move up pay scales rather quickly.

Team Leader Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Target.

I was introduced to the District Team Leader and sat down with him and the HRBP (Human Resources Business Partner for the district). I was asked a series of questions that I also received in my previous in store interviews. All in all it was a good and positive experience that I enjoyed.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you weren't going to meet a goal. What did you do?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate by asking "Is that negotiable?" but I didn't have to.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dumfries, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dumfries, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Target in November 2011.

"Round Robin" interview. 3 interviews with 3 different STL (store team leaders) one after another.

Interview Questions
    • I was prepared, so no questions were that difficult. I was promoted from team member, so I had a leg up on new hires.   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Target.

Interviews are situational based questions. First interview is over the phone, the next is in person. For Team lead positions its with the Department executive, the store leader and possibly the district leader. All questions need to follow a clear path. What was the situation, what you did, what was the outcome.

Interview Questions
    • These involve stories from your past experience. They are looking for how you work with people, thought processes and decision making ability. Can you collaborate with peers. What do you do when someone is angry? Do you go the extra mile or just the minimum to get the job done? They have a slight preference to job experience examples to school but they both work.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate pay due to my education and the minimum educational requirements as well as my previous experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Target.

Lots of situational questions. Tell me about a time... etc.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Target.

The hiring process involved meeting with 2 people for an initial interview followed by a yes or no. Then there was a second interview with management. From here the response was they would contact me after reviewing all the applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult customer service experience.   Answer Question